PDA

View Full Version : What to buy from Tulving?

ShortJohnSilver
30th September 2010, 06:51 PM
I have about $40k I am helping someone to put into PMs and Tulving seems like a good choice for this volume.

Right now, I am considering a monster box plus gold for the rest.

Which gold? Looks like the cheapest are the Coronas (.98 ozt per coin) , but I am also thinking of getting the Swiss 20 Francs for more divisibility.

Any ideas? Should I buy all at once or dribble the orders out over a longer period of time?

osoab
30th September 2010, 06:57 PM
I have about $40k I am helping someone to put into PMs and Tulving seems like a good choice for this volume.

Right now, I am considering a monster box plus gold for the rest.

Which gold? Looks like the cheapest are the Coronas (.98 ozt per coin) , but I am also thinking of getting the Swiss 20 Francs for more divisibility.

Any ideas? Should I buy all at once or dribble the orders out over a longer period of time?

I would at least look for some cash buys locally at coin shops.

Does the guy even know what he is getting into?

ShortJohnSilver
30th September 2010, 07:13 PM

Local prices are spot plus 7% for 1 ounce GAEs, which at 1300 is $1300 + 91 = $1391.

Yes, I think he does know what he is getting into.

osoab
30th September 2010, 07:46 PM

Local prices are spot plus 7% for 1 ounce GAEs, which at 1300 is $1300 + 91 = $1391.

Yes, I think he does know what he is getting into.

Just asking.

As far as the the Au. My local guy is 3.5% over @ 335 for 1/4 gae, but he really bumped up his 10ths to 150. They were 125 3 weeks ago. Picked up some generic silver for spot today too. Still, it may be worth it to drive the country side to see the wares.

I browsed Tulvings site. I can't afford it, so I haven't been there for awhile. I like the 1/2 and 1/4 gaes dates of their choice. I know its not more bang for your buck, but they have them.

StreetsOfGold
1st October 2010, 08:46 AM
Gold Sovereigns are the best gold coins in the world IMO.
They have a history like no other (since 1489) + there are half sovereigns and double sovereigns for those that want to diversify the sizes as well.

For just a small premimum you can find the old victorian's (bun preferably) and shield backs.

gunDriller
1st October 2010, 10:22 AM
As far as the the Au. My local guy is 3.5% over @ 335 for 1/4 gae, but he really bumped up his 10ths to 150. They were 125 3 weeks ago. Picked up some generic silver for spot today too. Still, it may be worth it to drive the country side to see the wares.

that's a fantastic deal for 1/4 ounce GAE's. APMex is selling them for $360.

JohnQPublic
1st October 2010, 10:54 AM
If I had $40k to spend on PMs, I think I would do something similar to what you are doing. The monster box of SAEs sounds good, but consider a monster box of Maples or Phils, too. Consider premiums. SAE being legal US currency is a plus (backed by US) and minus (may be recalled by US easier than "foreign" currency). Also consider junk silver- $500-$1000 face.

As for gold:

Personally I would consider a mix of mainly 1 ozt. of the majors (GAE, Maples, Phils, Buffaloes- if you can get them at the same mark-up). then maybe 10-20% fractionals. A mixture of the same would be good, but you could add some Sovereigns and I personally like 2-10 Mexican pesos (low margin, but recognizable). The European coins are ok, but not nearly as well known in the US. I personally would not make them my majority coin.

Keep in mind you are jumping in at a high point (not to discourage you, just a DYODD point). If you have similar amounts from previous purchases (please don't tell us for your sake), then dollar averaging comes into play. Most of us here do believe things will only get worse (meaning gold/silver should get better), but there is a possibility that the paper price may crash (though physical likely will become unavailable) for some period as COMEX/LBMA go bust. This could be a real test of nerves, especially if you just bought when it happens (and a lot of people think it is happening right now).

JohnQPublic
1st October 2010, 01:05 PM
Wow! You sure did not wait long, did you? ;D

ShortJohnSilver
1st October 2010, 05:44 PM
Keep in mind you are jumping in at a high point (not to discourage you, just a DYODD point). If you have similar amounts from previous purchases (please don't tell us for your sake), then dollar averaging comes into play. Most of us here do believe things will only get worse (meaning gold/silver should get better), but there is a possibility that the paper price may crash (though physical likely will become unavailable) for some period as COMEX/LBMA go bust. This could be a real test of nerves, especially if you just bought when it happens (and a lot of people think it is happening right now).

Thanks for the advice. The amount I am talking about is not the full amount of investment $ the person has, this is a diversification and total-meltdown "insurance" move. I will probably go with the least-cost premium, monster box from a govt mint, and then 1 oz Krug/Maple/Phils/GAEs plus some fractionals.

Uncle Salty
10th October 2010, 11:15 PM
SAE's and 90%. All silver. Maples if you want.