PDA

View Full Version : CDC: Nearly 1 in 10 U.S. adults depressed

MNeagle
1st October 2010, 02:07 PM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/10/01/c1main.depression.lifesize.jpg

Nine percent of U.S. adults have at least some symptoms of depression, and people in certain states are more likely to be depressed than those in others, according to the results of a nationwide survey by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Mississippi had the highest depression rate in the nation, with 14.8 percent of residents reporting two or more symptoms of the condition, such as feeling hopeless, taking little interest or pleasure in everyday activities, and having trouble concentrating. Health.com: How to recognize the symptoms of depression

Other states at the top of the list included West Virginia (14.3 percent), Alabama (13 percent), Oklahoma (11.3 percent), Tennessee (11 percent), and Louisiana (10.8 percent), according to the survey, which was conducted in 2006 and 2008. See state map.
North Dakota, with 4.8 percent, had the lowest rate of depression symptoms in the nation. See the report.

Many of the states with high depression rates also have above-average rates of obesity, heart disease, and other chronic health conditions—which may not be a coincidence, says Lela McKnight-Eily, a clinical psychologist and epidemiologist at the CDC.

"Depression can both precipitate and exacerbate the symptoms of a chronic disease," McKnight-Eily says. "For example, if someone is depressed and they have diabetes, they may be less likely to stick to their treatment regimen in terms of their insulin and eating appropriately. Those things are definitely linked."

Relatively high poverty levels and lack of access to mental health care may also have contributed to the depression rates in some Southeastern states, she adds.

Overall, 3.4 percent of the survey respondents met the criteria for clinical depression, which is defined as experiencing five or more depressive symptoms on most days of the week.

The rates of clinical depression varied widely according to life circumstances. People who were divorced (6.6 percent) or never married (4.1 percent) were more likely to be clinically depressed than married people (2.2 percent), for instance.

Not surprisingly—given the economic nosedive that was under way in 2008—depression rates also appeared to be linked to job status.

Roughly 10 percent of unemployed people and 22 percent of people who were disabled or otherwise unable to work met the criteria for clinical depression, compared with just 2 percent of those who had a job. And the depression rate was roughly twice as high among people without health insurance as it was among insured people. Health.com: Depression in the workplace: Don't ask, don't tell?

"Depression is common," McKnight-Eily says. "But more importantly, it's very treatable. Seeking out the care of a health professional is really important, because life quality can improve with effective treatment."

October 7 is National Depression Screening Day. The CDC urges people who suspect they may be depressed to take an online self-assessment at mentalhealthscreening.org.

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/01/cdc-nearly-1-in-10-u-s-adults-depressed/?hpt=T2

Glass
1st October 2010, 05:30 PM
I personally believe that the term depression is a phyciatric term and because of that it should be avoided. Unhappy is a better word. There is nothing wrong with being unhappy. You can fix being unhappy by changing the thing that is making you unhappy.

Depression on the other hand can't be fixed because it's a delusion, a non existant thing. I tell people who tell me they are depressed or were depressed that they were just unhappy. I don't allow people to use that term around me.

ShortJohnSilver
1st October 2010, 05:57 PM
Get up and move around, lift stuff, etc. That alone would probably cure a lot of the symptoms.

Desolation LineTrimmer
1st October 2010, 06:05 PM
I personally believe that the term depression is a phyciatric term and because of that it should be avoided. Unhappy is a better word. There is nothing wrong with being unhappy. You can fix being unhappy by changing the thing that is making you unhappy.

Depression on the other hand can't be fixed because it's a delusion, a non existant thing. I tell people who tell me they are depressed or were depressed that they were just unhappy. I don't allow people to use that term around me.

Most people are probably unhappy because, at least at the time, their lives suck. Being obese, being unemployed, being obese and unemployed, your wife not only just left you, but she took your house and kids too. Your beloved mother has passed away. Lots of good reasons. Some you can fix, some you can't.

zap
2nd October 2010, 08:00 PM
I agree, it is easier to be miserable then to be happy, sometimes it is just hard to see all the good things in your life unless you really take a hard look. :)

bellevuebully
2nd October 2010, 11:27 PM
I find it hard to believe an 'unhappy' person can pick up a gun and blow their brains out. That is a very unnatural, irrational and counterintuitive act. It denotes an imbalance in thought processes which is a series of biochemical events, even if only transient. "Unhappy" is simplistic. But, if that is your perception, you have never lived with or around depression.....be thankful.

seaurchin1
3rd October 2010, 07:46 AM
I think unhappy and depressed are not the same. I have lived with someone with depression. They were not just unhappy, but suicidal and prone to anxiety attacks. They could not cope with everyday life, just getting up in the mornings was a major accomplishment. This was a person who had no reason to be unhappy. They had a good job, a good marriage, lived in a place they loved. It took a lot of research and discussion and minimum amount of drugs to get through it, and, as bellevuebully said, if you have never lived with or around it, be thankful.

Shami-Amourae
5th October 2010, 02:36 AM
You'd think all the fluoride (active ingredient in Prozac) in the water would help with that...

Book
8th October 2010, 08:30 PM
Most people are probably unhappy because, at least at the time, their lives suck. Being obese, being unemployed, being obese and unemployed, your wife not only just left you, but she took your house and kids too. Your beloved mother has passed away. Lots of good reasons. Some you can fix, some you can't.

http://www.gx.com.sg/Admin/Storage/Data/UploadedPicture/Blog/suicide.jpg

GSUS and GIM and Latoc and all the other doomer forums really help too.

:D

cedarchopper
8th October 2010, 10:01 PM
horseshit...this is the strategy to deny 2nd amendment rights to another 10% of the population. Never admit to mild depression or even unhappiness. Everything is great!

Sparky
8th October 2010, 10:35 PM

You know not of what you speak.