PDA

View Full Version : My wife is crazy

StackerKen
1st October 2010, 06:47 PM
We get a one or two rattlers here ever year..and we usually just kill em with a shovel..(easy)

Well, I got home from work today and my wife (playswithfire) had caught one that was on our patio.

She hearded it into a little trash can with a shovel. (crazy)
I guess one of her freinds on facebook begged her not to kill it :-\

So I took it down the road a bit and let it go.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs011.ash2/33936_1620213389591_1364103852_1648026_7057578_n.j pg

MNeagle
1st October 2010, 06:53 PM
Should have delivered it to her friend.

StackerKen
1st October 2010, 06:56 PM
Should have delivered it to her friend.

I said the same thing MN...but her friend lives 5 hours away. If her friend was closer she would have come and got it.

I love animals and all...but rattle snakes are one animal that i don't mind killin...

Dogman
1st October 2010, 07:06 PM
Before a job came up in w Tex , had aquariums and fish Before I moved out there and discovered the tap water so bad you would not even want to brush your teeth using it.

Brought the aquariums with me gave away my fish thinking to set up again. Found the water issue so for awhile did nothing with them.

My job was to travel all over the oil patch setting up production equipment and repairing them when needed.
In my travels ran over and across rattle snakes all the time. Carried a new model blackhawk 357 as my snake
gun.I still have a collection of rattles strung together.

Anyway had the bright ideal of catching a few and putting them in my 55 gal aquarium just for a grin. Kept them and others in my apartment for the better part of 7 years.

So Ken your wife is not crazy. She would only be if she wanted to keep it. ;D

undgrd
1st October 2010, 07:08 PM
Animals like this remind me of a dog catching a car...now what?

Playswithfire
1st October 2010, 07:33 PM
I'm still having an anxiety attack!... LOL

Fortyone
2nd October 2010, 07:31 AM
they are quite good to eat.

zap
2nd October 2010, 07:58 AM
I bet they taste like chicken :D

Dogman
2nd October 2010, 08:06 AM
I bet they taste like chicken :D

When fried amazingly so.. ;D

Every year I lived out there went to the Sweetwater rattlesnake roundup, A few with friends as catchers. ;D

Haven't been to one since 1981 400 miles is a way to go for me now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvYJqcyIaqk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDcFm17GfFs&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDcFm17GfFs&feature=related)

StackerKen
2nd October 2010, 08:10 AM
I'm gonna have to try it. :)

willie pete
2nd October 2010, 04:59 PM
Need to get some "snake-shot" for you pistol

StackerKen
2nd October 2010, 05:15 PM

Yeah, that might be fun...but a shovel works pretty well

willie pete
2nd October 2010, 05:38 PM

Yeah, that might be fun...but a shovel works pretty well

I'm sure it does.. how long did you say the handle on that shovel was? :D

StackerKen
2nd October 2010, 05:49 PM
Willie; I found some snake shot for my .38 online...a buck a round....Is that a good deal?
That stuff won't hurt my gun?

willie pete
2nd October 2010, 06:02 PM
Yea, I'd say a buck a round is good, besides it's not like you're gonna use it all the time, will it hurt your gun? doubt it....what kind of gun is it Kenster? ...again, it's not something you're gonna be shooting through it everyday, and with the snake-shot, you don't have to get so close.. ;D

Dogman
2nd October 2010, 06:15 PM
Willie; I found some snake shot for my .38 online...a buck a round....Is that a good deal?
That stuff won't hurt my gun?

Ken do you reload?

While living out in w.tex there is really nothing much to do. You have to travel 100-200 miles
to get anywhere. One of the major hobbys was shooting and with the kind of volume we were
doing reloading was the only way to go.

Have made my own snake/rat shot for my blackhawk using pretty much as described below.
Used the smallest bird shot I could find. Just use a bullet puller and go for it.
All you are out of is buying the shot.

http://www.gunblast.com/Snake_Stopper.htm

Snake Stopper

by Jeff Quinn

photography by Jeff Quinn

Updated August 25th, 2003

Ed. Note:

Since he originally wrote this article, Jeff has developed a Snake Stopper load for the .45 Colt cartridge using the same method as for the .38 Snake Stopper. The .45 Colt load uses 5 grains of W-W 231 powder and a .457 round ball. This load exhibits excellent pattern density, and performs very well.

Boge Quinn

Ed. Note:

GunBlast.com reader Randy G. Evans was inspired by Jeff's Snake Stopper article to do some snake load development of his own, and he sent us his results. We are glad to see that some of our readers are intrigued enough by what we do to expand on the idea! Randy's findings are his alone, and have not been reproduced by GunBlast.com, and GunBlast.com accepts no responsibility for them. Following is Jeff's article, Rattlesnake Stopper", followed by Randy's article, "Snake Stopper II".

Boge Quinn

This Summer in Tennessee has been particularly dry and warm, and as a result, we've seen what seems to be an unusual number of snakes...especially timber rattlers.

The theory that I have been told is that they are having to move more to find water than in previous years. Whether that theory is accurate or not I can't say. What I can personally attest to is the fact that my cousin, who lives about two miles down the road, has been overrun this year with an abundance of rattlesnakes, with the occasional copperhead thrown in for extra excitement.

One day while talking with my cousin Melvin, he mentioned to me that the particular rattler that he had shot that morning had required three shots of commercially loaded snake shot before deciding to cease hostilities and die. Melvin had been having snake problems all summer. One of his squirrel dogs had almost died of snakebite earlier this year. We decided that we needed something with more killing power than was available off the shelf while still retaining a wider pattern than could be obtained with just a single bullet.

After our conversation had ended, I went to work on the project.

The problem of getting more shot into the case was solved by doing away with the plastic tube as found on the factory loads. I decided to use the .38 Special case so that it could be fired in either his .38 or his .357 magnum.

Eliminating the plastic shot tube left me with two problems. First, a wad was needed to separate the powder from the shot. It had to be thin enough so as not to take up too much of the already limited case capacity, and thick enough to seal the bore to send the shot out of the barrel. I decided to use a heavy card material, about .030 thick. To cut the card wads to exact internal case diameter. I sharpened the mouth of a .38 case with a deburring tool and chucked the case in a drill to cut the wads from a sheet of the cardboard. It worked great.

The other problem caused by eliminating the plastic shot tube was how to seal the case mouth over the shot, so that it would not spill all over the place. I tried hot glue, superglue, 38 caliber gas checks and another card wad. The final and best solution was to seat a .375 pure lead round ball over the shot. It is easier to see from the photos the seating depth than it is to explain the process, but the depth isn't critical as long as the crimp holds it in place.

The final incarnation consisted of a Remington-Peters case, loaded with 4.3 grains Winchester 231 powder. Over the powder I seated the card wad with a 1/4" wooden dowel. Filling to within 3/16" of the case mouth with 70 grains of number nine hard shot, I seated and roll crimped the .375 round ball.

As can be seen in the photo, the shell patterned about nine inches at a distance of 10 feet, with the round ball well centered. At that distance, even the card wad penetrated the plastic sign board used for patterning.

The result of this project was a real success, as it gave us a superior shot load with the added benefit of a round ball in the middle.

It was within a week that cousin Melvin reported back on the handful of cartridges that I had issued to him. He had run across another fat rattlesnake about four feet long back on the farm. One shot, one dead rattler. Later in the week a wild stray dog, possibly rabid, came to his house with what seemed to be ill intent, and was easily dispatched with one quick shot.

As always, these loads work great and are safe in our guns, but might not be safe in your particular firearm. Work up your reloads safely, as we assume no responsibility for any loading data listed on this website. The powder and bullet companies have pressure and safety equipment not available to us, and are far more knowledgeable about this stuff. It is wise to heed their advice.

But then again, experimenting with a new project is always interesting and usually fun.

StackerKen
2nd October 2010, 06:18 PM
Yea, I'd say a buck a round is good, besides it's not like you're gonna use it all the time, will it hurt your gun? doubt it....what kind of gun is it Kenster? ...again, it's not something you're gonna be shooting through it everyday, and with the snake-shot, you don't have to get so close.. ;D

Good points Willie, I think I will get some

The pistol I have was My Dads ;D

StackerKen
2nd October 2010, 06:21 PM
No I don't reload Dogman...Interesting info though....

Dogman
2nd October 2010, 06:23 PM
No I don't reload Dogman...Interesting info though....

A pair of pliers to carefully remove the bullet ,add some shot you would be in bizz. ;D

zap
2nd October 2010, 06:24 PM
If you shoot them you'll make a mess out of the skin, shovels are the best, then you can skin it and cure the skin I forget how I think you can use alum powder, and have yourself a belt or a wallet made. :) I'm going to google it.

Dogman
2nd October 2010, 06:26 PM
If you shoot them you'll make a mess out of the skin, shovels are the best, then you can skin it and cure the skin I forget how I think you can use alum powder, and have yourself a belt or a wallet made. :) I'm going to google it.

Good point! plus they are edible and shot is bad for the teeth.;D

willie pete
2nd October 2010, 06:59 PM
What is it a .38 spl? anyway looks great...shot shell aren't "hot loads" I guess it could affect the rifling though...say after 10k rounds.. :D

Zapster...I'd think you'd probably have to "harvest" several of them or get one really big one to do anything with just one hide.....

RJB
2nd October 2010, 07:05 PM
I thought they taste more like rabbit than chicken.

I killed 2 once. 1 was about 4 feet, the other 3 1/2. Barely any meat on those guys. But they were good eaten.

zap
2nd October 2010, 07:09 PM
What is it a .38 spl? anyway looks great...shot shell aren't "hot loads" I guess it could affect the rifling though...say after 10k rounds.. :D

Zapster...I'd think you'd probably have to "harvest" several of them or get one really big one to do anything with just one hide.....

I would have to agree with you Willie, But I will still stick with the shovel, the way I shoot I'd probably hit the house or a car something other then the snake. ;)

willie pete
2nd October 2010, 07:22 PM
^^ I sorta doubt that, besides, shot spreads, and that's part of the rationale for using shot; you don't have to get so close....wouldn't want to get "nipped" on the ankle by one of those creatures......unless I was in the garden center of a Walmart.. :D

Horn
2nd October 2010, 07:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSLlGsDz4f4

Dogman
2nd October 2010, 07:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSLlGsDz4f4

Horn

I think you are thinking of the wrong kind of snake..

:lol

Horn
2nd October 2010, 07:59 PM
Horn

What?

This is concrete evidence that validates my theory of world conversion to Islam by the year 2525. 8)

Dogman
2nd October 2010, 08:03 PM
Horn

What?

This is concrete evidence that validates my theory of world conversion to Islam by the year 2525. 8)

Now Now You know what is up ;D And your obvious attempt to divert this thread twice now.

MNeagle
2nd October 2010, 08:11 PM
One other nice thing about MN: No rattlers! yuuccckk!

Horn
2nd October 2010, 08:12 PM
Now Now You know what is up ;D And your obvious attempt to divert this thread twice now.

I am not a deviant' er uhm never, never was, never.

Bad Horn, :whip

Dogman
2nd October 2010, 08:15 PM

I am not a deviant' er uhm never, never was, never.

Bad Horn, :whip

:plll

:lol :lol :lol

zap
2nd October 2010, 08:17 PM
One other nice thing about MN: No rattlers! yuuccckk!

Oh it's not that bad MN, just gotta keep your eyes open or wear sunglasses you can see out of :D

When I have taken trips inland ( Nevada, Texas) I guess you would call it, I get claustrophobic cause I am not close enough to the coast.

Playswithfire
2nd October 2010, 10:02 PM

I've actually skinned and preserved a few rattlesnake skins. I still have 2 or 3 of them. I have also used the rattlesnake vertebrae as beads.

I used glycerin to preserve my skins. I've never heard of using alum powder. I'll have to check into that.

skid
3rd October 2010, 09:39 PM
I wouldn't kill a rattler just because I came upon it. They are helpful predators keeping the populations of rodents down. I lived in rattlesnake country for 40 years and only killed one, and that was because I didn't know any better at the time. Most of the time they are just defending themselves when they coil up. Just shoo them away with a stick or shovel, as they are mostly pretty timid.

We had so many gophers that caused field and garden damage where I used to live that we saw snakes as a good thing. However, if they were holing up under my porch or deck I might have to permanently dissuade them....

crazychicken
4th October 2010, 01:12 AM
Snakes, particularly rattlers, can be a great source of interesting food.

They make one heck of a meat dish.

My daughter goes looking for them.

CC

horseshoe3
4th October 2010, 10:50 AM
Is this the same daughter that shot the charging bull? She's going to make someone a heckuva wife someday.

Dogman
4th October 2010, 11:06 AM
Is this the same daughter that shot the charging bull? She's going to make someone a heckuva wife someday.

Raise them tough out in the west! ;)

Olmstein
22nd October 2010, 03:52 PM
Here's some helpful info, (http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Prepare-a-Rattlesnake-for-Good-Eating) Ken. :)

A Little Background on Cooking With Rattlesnake

First, be sure that you are allowed to hunt or kill rattlesnakes where you are located. It is against the law in some areas. If you buy rattlesnake meat, expect to pay a high price. The last time I saw it, the price was about $30 per pound. In the southwest, rattlesnake meat is a delicacy. Rattlesnake chili is a common and popular recipe.

Rattlesnake tastes like a Cornish game hen to me, with a hint of gamey flavor. It even has a similar texture, but it is a little chewier and a bit stringy. There is nothing to worry about regarding eating a poisonous snake. Even if venom is present in the meat, it will cause no ill effects if ingested.

Some Precautions About Preparing a Rattlesnake for Cooking

You need to skin the rattlesnake before you can prepare it for eating. The first thing to do is turn it so that its underbelly is facing up. Cut off the snake's head about 4 inches below the head, unless you want to keep the skin.

Be careful when handling the snake's head, as it could still contain poisonous venom. Get rid of the rattlesnake's head immediately in a tightly covered container, away from kids and pets. Believe it or not, the decapitated head can still bite for a few hours. Be sure to wear gloves when cutting and disposing of the rattlesnake's head.

Instructions for Preparing a Rattlesnake to Cook

Hang the snake up just below the tail end. This will allow it to 'bleed'. Starting at the head end of the rattlesnake, make a cut down the length of the snake all the way to where the white part of the tail is located. Now cut all the way through the tail at this point.

The rattlesnake meat can simply be peeled away from the skin now. It is not difficult to remove. Start at the head end and peel the skin up toward the tail end.

The next step is to remove the intestines and other innards. Then wash the snake meat well in cold water. Cut the snake into two large pieces and freeze in salt water. Make sure the snake is put in a tightly covered container. If not, the snake will literally crawl out.

How to Cook With Rattlesnake

When you are ready to prepare the rattlesnake, thaw and rinse in cold water. Then cut the snake into suitable sizes for your rattlesnake recipe. Cook the rattlesnake as desired- grill, bake, fry or throw it into a stew or rattlesnake chili recipe.

Of course, with some rattlesnake recipes you will want to remove the bones first. To debone rattlesnake meat, simmer the rattlesnake in water with about 1/4 cup of lemon juice added to it. After the rattlesnake has cooked for about an hour, it should be easy to remove the rattlesnake meat from the bones.

crazychicken
22nd October 2010, 06:20 PM
Yes it is the same daughter.

She is really something.

I'm not worried about her winding up in an abusive relationship. At least on the receiving side. :o ::) ;) ;D

CC

SLV^GLD
27th November 2010, 09:37 AM
The next step is to remove the intestines and other innards. Then wash the snake meat well in cold water. Cut the snake into two large pieces and freeze in salt water. Make sure the snake is put in a tightly covered container. If not, the snake will literally crawl out.
:o :o :o WTF?!?! Did I read this right? A beheaded, skinned hunk of meat separated from the nervous system will crawl out of a container?!