PDA

View Full Version : Diaspora, a New Social Media Platform, Hopes to be Anti-Facebook

the white rabbit
2nd October 2010, 12:31 AM
Call it the anti-Facebook.

Diaspora, a new social media platform, is set to be released in the coming months and it looks a lot like Facebook. One difference, though, is that users control their personal data.

The developers behind the company recently released the source code behind the network, providing a glimpse at how it looks and works.

Diaspora promotes itself on its website as "the privacy aware, personally controlled, do-it-all, open source social network."
http://www.myfoxchattanooga.com/dpps/money/diaspora-hopes-to-be-anti-facebook-dpgoh-20100929-fc_9846416

the white rabbit
2nd October 2010, 12:33 AM
diaspora n. The dispersion of Jews outside of Israel from the sixth century B.C. , when they were exiled to Babylonia, until the present time. often diaspora The body of Jews ... www.answers.com/topic/diaspora - Cached

Hatha Sunahara
2nd October 2010, 12:54 AM
That makes sense. Jews were dislocated to other countries, and existed as a group, or religion, or culture, but something separately identifiable, without having a country of their own until Israel showed up. So how did they make it for almost 2000 years without a country? Could they have had a Social Network? A global one? Distributed, not centralized?

These guys developing this anti-facebook network sound like they are all Jews, and they may have a unique insight on how to do a distributed, privacy oriented network. I would consider joining something like that before Facebook, or other privacy invading network.

Hatha

Neuro
2nd October 2010, 05:00 AM
So they will do datamining on people who are concerned about their privacy... Yeah makes perfect sense... 8)

Silver Shield
2nd October 2010, 05:40 AM
Hegelian dialectic offer two false choices that furthers an ultimate goal.
All of those people who dont trust Facebook, come here, we will not share your info....
ROTFL

Silver Shield
2nd October 2010, 05:42 AM
GSUS is my social network.
United by ideas, not circumstances.

palani
2nd October 2010, 07:07 AM
Jews were dislocated to other countries, and existed as a group, or religion, or culture, but something separately identifiable, without having a country of their own until Israel showed up.
Hatha

I would guess that 99% of people incorrectly identify a country as a land mass or territory. The truth is much different. Here is a snippet from Nations and Nationalism Society.

http://i52.tinypic.com/wrbzpg.jpg

A nation is a body politic. A group of people banded together through common heritage for their own protection AND ADVANTAGE.