PDA

View Full Version : The Bacon Backlash

MNeagle
2nd October 2010, 07:05 PM
When bacon appears in cocktails, mashed potatoes and cupcakes, you know it's time for chefs to find a new trick. Those on the forefront are experimenting with a new wave of flavor boosters. Make way for smoked salt and mango vinegar

It's 8 o'clock on Saturday night and you're waiting for your table at the place to be. You sip a bacon-infused bourbon old fashioned, while nibbling on pancetta-wrapped figs. Once seated, you waver between the braised pork belly or the Allan Benton-bacon wrapped trout, served with Brussels spouts roasted with cured fatback. You'll need to save room for the bacon-banana ice cream. And, don't forget, you'll be meeting a friend for bacon-maple doughnuts tomorrow morning.

It's lip smacking and finger licking, fatty and salty, savory and sweet. It's bacon, and it's everywhere. In every restaurant. In every course. In every dish.
http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OD-AA812_baconb_DV_20100930235643.jpg
BACON GONE BONKERS: A cherry and bacon pie - has our penchant for pig jumped the shark?

We are in the midst of a bacon bubble—and a growing number of chefs (some of whom quietly admit they helped inflate the bubble to begin with) say it's about to pop. Bacon had a good run, but now it has gone flabby—used too much and too often, it's lost its novelty and coated fine dining with a ubiquitous veneer of porky grease.

Chef John Currence, owner of four restaurants in Oxford, Miss., adores bacon and proudly wears a pig tattoo on his arm. But even he says that the bacon craze has gone a bit far. Strike that: The man recently received a gift of bacon-flavored lip balm. It's gone way too far.

"It's like cussing," Mr. Currence says of today's over-use of bacon in restaurants. "It's easy, it's effective, it always gets a cocked eyebrow, but it just doesn't belong in church." Bacon is a staple of the Southern cuisine he specializes in, but it shouldn't become a crutch—it's facile and everything ends up tasting the same, Mr. Currence says. Lately, he has begun experimenting with less-obvious flavor boosters, including an intense mango vinegar he drizzles on seared scallops. Searching for flavors that "punch you in the mouth," he adds Indian spices to roasted carrot and red pepper sauces.

Bacon's ascendance from proletarian breakfast food to truffle substitute can be traced to noble intentions of American chefs to create a native version of haute cuisine, untethered from French traditions. Six or seven years ago, big-city chefs began discovering and celebrating small-scale, quality producers of hams and bacon in the South. Quality bacon helped put the American flavor in chef David Chang's unique Korean fusion, the down-home touch in Thomas Keller's lofty European tasting menus, and the relatable accent in Grant Achatz's wild creations at Chicago's Alinea.

Home cooks have also been encouraged to use bacon in everything. Never mind bacon-packed tomes such as the "Blue Ribbon Cookbook: Better Home Cooking" or Mr. Chang's "Momofuku," there's the recent "Bacon: A Love Story," "The Bacon Cookbook," (the recipe for bacon and peanut butter chocolate truffles is on page 257) and, for the Kindle, the "Geek's Guide to Bacon Cookery." A separate opus covers the fine points of making bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches.

By 2008, bacon had caught on like wildfire. Locate salsify, cardoons, radicchio or chard on a menu, and bacon is sure to be tagging along, a spoonful of fat to help the medicine go down. The bacon old fashioned is a real drink, served in bars from Portland, Ore., to New York. Allan Benton, a smoked-bacon artisan in Madisonville, Tenn., has received the kind of hagiographic accolades from food magazines and celebrity chefs usually reserved for food magazines and celebrity chefs. Culinary fashion accessory Vosges Haut-Chocolat sells two varieties of bacon chocolate bars, and Dean & Deluca peddles $28 a pound bacon-peanut brittle candy.

Now some chefs are throwing up roadblocks to bacon's lava-like flow into every crevice of the culinary topography. In August, Ken Oringer, chef and owner of Clio and five other Boston restaurants, tasted his pastry chef's latest creation: milk chocolate-bacon bon bons. He ordered her to melt them down and turned them into a mole sauce used for a staff meal.

"It's been overplayed so much and my taste buds are tired of it," says Mr. Oringer, who now swaps it for less shopworn ingredients. If he's looking for smoke with little fat, he'll toss a smoked turkey wing into the pot. Trout wrapped in bacon is a gastronomic trope, but trout's delicate flavor is easily masked, Mr. Oringer says. A sprinkling of smoked salt gives an accent while highlighting the fish's essence.

One reason bacon is so popular is that it provides not just smoky, fatty and salty flavor, but also a more mysterious accent known in food-science circles as umami, indicating a rich, savory, mouth-filling taste. In Japanese cuisine, umami has traditionally been achieved by the laborious process of making dashi—a broth of shaved, dried bonito fish and a specific type of seaweed. Bacon is a kind of express train to umami, with the added benefit of being crispy and crunchy.

There are other ways to achieve umami. Gary Danko, of the eponymous San Francisco restaurant, grinds shiitake mushrooms in a blender, then dusts cuts of meat, fish or chicken with the powder before searing. Other umami-boosters are miso paste and parmesan cheese. Soy sauce also provides a boost.

Perhaps no restaurant deserves more of the credit—or blame—for the bacon bubble than Los Angeles' Animal, which serves everything from bacon-chocolate bars to deep-fried pig ears. The co-owners are opening a new restaurant later this fall, and say the only certain thing about the new place is that it won't specialize in bacon-packed dishes.

"Sometimes I just want a salad, you know?" says co-chef Jon Shook.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703467004575464072090036504.html?m od=WeekendHeader_Right

zap
2nd October 2010, 07:12 PM
Bacon makes almost everything taste better, specially veggies.

StackerKen
2nd October 2010, 07:19 PM
yep...I like BLTs on sourdough bread.

Heck...I just like bacon period :)

Dogman
2nd October 2010, 07:22 PM

Home made blt's are like that commercial years ago. You can not eat just one.
What was that add? Memory hole here!

StackerKen
2nd October 2010, 07:27 PM

Home made blt's are like that commercial years ago. You can not eat just one.
What was that add? Memory hole here!

Lay's potato chips?

those are good with a BLT ;D

willie pete
2nd October 2010, 07:32 PM
BLT's made with a good homegrown tomato...I like bacon in BBQ baked beans (homemade of course) ;D

madfranks
2nd October 2010, 08:45 PM
How to make a BLT:

MNeagle
2nd October 2010, 08:53 PM
:ROFL: :gwing

MF, what a classic! Thank you!!

zap
2nd October 2010, 08:58 PM
Jews or Muslims don't eat bacon do they? :D Nope I looked it up no pork products for them.

Dogman
2nd October 2010, 09:03 PM
Jews or Muslims don't eat bacon do they? :D

Think pigs are unclean and if they ate pig =Never make it to heaven/paradise.

bellevuebully
2nd October 2010, 11:02 PM
I heard recently that Jones soda is coming out with a bacon flavoured cola.

Liz Anya
12th October 2010, 08:26 PM
Bacon has no place in beverages or desserts. That's just gross. And I can say that because I ate nearly an entire package yesterday (or at least tried to) and I didn't feel a moment's remorse. I figure if I'm gonna stink up the house cooking it, I better get my fill of it and enjoy every bite. Oh, how I love bacon. :)

Dogman
12th October 2010, 08:31 PM
Bacon has no place in beverages or desserts. That's just gross. And I can say that because I ate nearly an entire package yesterday (or at least tried to) and I didn't feel a moment's remorse. I figure if I'm gonna stink up the house cooking it, I better get my fill of it and enjoy every bite. Oh, how I love bacon. :)

Welcome to the house of drama and heated debate, the inmates really do run this joint. There is nary a dull moment here most days/nights.

MNeagle
12th October 2010, 08:34 PM

And how do you feel about lasagna? :oo-->

zap
12th October 2010, 08:36 PM
Darn I thought I took a pic of it, I saw bacon flavored chapstick at disneyland, I should have bought a tube.

StackerKen
12th October 2010, 08:45 PM
Darn I thought I took a pic of it, I saw bacon flavored chapstick at disneyland, I should have bought a tube.

:ROFL:

:o :o LMAO ...Thats sick :D ;D

Liz Anya
13th October 2010, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the welcome! Been watching for a while. I think bacon lasagna would be delightful ;)

Liz Anya
13th October 2010, 11:17 AM
Perhaps I ate too much bacon today, but I cannot figure out how to upload an avatar. I'm sure it's easy, but I can't find it... I know this is non-bacon related but can someone please help me??? Thanks!!! :conf:

Olmstein
13th October 2010, 11:23 AM
I liked bacon way before bacon was cool.

MMMMmmmmmmmmm, bacon.

http://foodcourtlunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/push-button-receive-bacon.png

willie pete
13th October 2010, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the welcome! Been watching for a while. I think bacon lasagna would be delightful ;)

Bacon is like butter; it makes everything better... ;D

ximmy
13th October 2010, 11:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPmVENYCJ2o

Dogman
13th October 2010, 11:28 AM

Love it and If after eating a bunch of bacon and in a very quiet room, I can hear my artery's harden. :D

But who the hell cares, can not live forever! And without gusto in life it is not worth living! ;D

osoab
13th October 2010, 11:30 AM
I sometimes fancy "fresh side" instead of bacon. :o

madfranks
13th October 2010, 11:43 AM
Perhaps I ate too much bacon today, but I cannot figure out how to upload an avatar. I'm sure it's easy, but I can't find it... I know this is non-bacon related but can someone please help me??? Thanks!!! :conf:

Click the "Profile" tab near the top of the page, then click on "Forum Profile Information" and you can either upload a picture from your computer or from the web to be your avatar.

And welcome, you are among good people here. :)

Liz Anya
13th October 2010, 02:01 PM

Love it and If after eating a bunch of bacon and in a very quiet room, I can hear my artery's harden. :D

But who the hell cares, can not live forever! And without gusto in life it is not worth living! ;D

The best bouquet I can ever receive...

MNeagle
7th May 2012, 07:20 PM
http://media-cache9.pinterest.com/upload/147000375307020850_znLjl24y_b.jpg

Bacon pancakes.

Keep this in mind for Father's Day ladies!!

Silver Rocket Bitches!
7th May 2012, 07:30 PM
I got halfway through this thread before I realized it's from 2010. I'd say the bacon craze is still on in full force.

I don't care for bacon in everything. I prefer thinly sliced bacon cooked until it holds a straight form on its own but not too crunchy but not chewy either. You have to take it out just after it gets floppy and let it finish cooking on a paper towel. It retains fully flavor that way.

Cooking bacon is an art form.

gunDriller
9th May 2012, 03:19 AM
http://media-cache9.pinterest.com/upload/147000375307020850_znLjl24y_b.jpg

Bacon pancakes.

with maple syrup.

i have 1 1/2 pieces of thick cut bacon every day.

i eat as much beef & bacon as Silver Art ate pizza. i think - never met him.

solid
11th May 2012, 09:35 PM
Mmmm Bacon.

What would life be like, without bacon. This song always brings a tear to my eye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_KSiTq4AoY&

milehi
12th May 2012, 05:26 PM
I can't remember what bacon tastes like, but I can tell you what a quality IPA tastes and feels like.

osoab
9th May 2013, 10:24 AM
105-year-old woman says eating bacon every day is her key to long life (http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/07/105-year-old-woman-says-eating-bacon-every-day-is-her-key-to-long-life/)

gunDriller
10th May 2013, 02:19 PM
well, it is pork.

if it helps to keep the Chosen-ites away - maybe that's why she lived longer.

osoab
31st December 2015, 02:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtMVMNST_g4

Dogman
31st December 2015, 02:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtMVMNST_g4 Perfectly understandable, good stuff.

Now if he carries the same innate reactions into later life, it should be a hoot to see him get his cherry busted, with all the emotional and physical reactions that go with the act.

Bacon is ambrosia to the taste buds with certain foods or by itself.

The kid was a hoot !

Sad to see all of the most of good posters gone and driven off the forum, this forum did rock back then, more like a huge dysfunctional family then, which was a grin and hoot, but now getting more like a echo chamber of single mindedness, because of the asshats.

steyr_m
31st December 2015, 04:45 PM
What the heck does "jumping a shark" mean?

Dogman
31st December 2015, 04:56 PM

The Fonz started it...! ;D

steyr_m
31st December 2015, 04:59 PM
Hmmmm it's been awhile since I've seen "Happy Days" or it's spin-off: "Laverne & Shirley"

osoab
31st December 2015, 06:37 PM

Late into the shows run, the Fonz (squirmy jew) ski jumps over a shark. It was an attempt to garner more viewers for a show at it's end.

steyr_m
1st January 2016, 02:59 PM
Late into the shows run, the Fonz (squirmy jew) ski jumps over a shark. It was an attempt to garner more viewers for a show at it's end.

ok, now I vaguely remember that...

Jewboo
9th May 2016, 04:27 PM
https://i.imgur.com/7ZaQL5u.jpg

Neuro
5th June 2016, 12:32 PM

Did you give up?

Neuro
5th June 2016, 12:37 PM
Jews or Muslims don't eat bacon do they? :D Nope I looked it up no pork products for them.

That's why they are miserable cunts!

Dachsie
26th November 2016, 12:28 PM
Good looking recipe though I have not tried it yet. It seems a step up from biscuits and gravy because the gravy has eggs in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJPTPspjvQY

Breakfast Egg Gravy - Bacon Based Recipe - PoorMansGourmet
Poor Man's Gourmet Kitchen
Poor Man's Gourmet Kitchen
Published on Jun 6, 2014

Recipes can be found at http://poormansgourmetkitchen.com/

cheka.
26th November 2016, 06:00 PM
bacon pieces topping mac and cheese was big winner at our t-giving feast

Glass
27th November 2016, 02:09 AM
I've been enjoying a few steak burgers/sandwiches with a rasher of bacon. Quick and easy to cook. optional egg. bbq sauce. Tasty. Sometimes you got to go double or nothing.

mac with cheese AND bacon sounds pretty tasty

cheka.
27th November 2016, 05:10 AM
I've been enjoying a few steak burgers/sandwiches with a rasher of bacon. Quick and easy to cook. optional egg. bbq sauce. Tasty. Sometimes you got to go double or nothing.

mac with cheese AND bacon sounds pretty tasty

we put the bacon in the melted cheddar layer on top. it was gone before the non-bacon mac/chz even had a dent in it