PDA

View Full Version : 'Little purple pill' is under microscope

MNeagle
3rd October 2010, 01:52 PM
Heartburn drugs, while effective, might be doing more harm than good.

Dr. Marcus Thygeson once wrote his patients countless prescriptions for heartburn drugs such as Prevacid, Prilosec and Nexium -- the "little purple pills'' of TV ads.

But several months ago, when his own doctor advised him to start taking the pills, he refused. "It was all I could do to get out of the office without a prescription," he said.

The Twin Cities gastroenterologist has come to see the popular pills as a symbol of the excesses of modern medicine -- a powerful medication "handed out like water" in his words, amid mounting evidence that it may do many people more harm than good.

"It's a drug we've become very cavalier about," says Thygeson, president of the Center for Healthcare Innovation at Allina Hospitals & Clinics. "Now it's like front-line therapy if you so much as belch."

The heartburn drugs, known as proton-pump inhibitors (PPIs), are designed to reduce the body's ability to pump acid into the stomach. Today, they are among the nation's best-selling medications, with more than 119 million prescriptions written last year, in addition to over-the-counter sales. Experts have called them a godsend for ailments like acid reflux, a major cause of heartburn.

Yet there's a growing consensus that millions of people are taking the pills needlessly, or far longer than necessary, wasting billions of dollars and in some cases triggering significant side effects.

Some skeptics even dare to ask why so many Americans are taking pills, which can cost up to $200 a month, to control digestive problems that can be tied to their own bad habits, particularly at the dinner table.

"I'm not blaming patients -- it's the path of least resistance," said Dr. Greg Plotnikoff, an internist at Abbott Northwestern's Penny George Institute for Health and Healing in Minneapolis. Fixing the underlying problem, he said, may require losing weight, avoiding certain foods or other lifestyle changes. A pill can seem like an easy alternative.

"When I was a resident, I was told it was a quick and easy answer to everything, and it had no side effects, and insurance was willing to pay for it," Plotnikoff said.

In the past few years, though, scientists have raised concerns about long-term side effects, such as bone fractures and pneumonia. One study in 2009 even found that the drugs, when stopped abruptly, can cause the very symptoms they were designed to prevent.

The drug manufacturers and some leading experts have disputed those findings. But insurers and doctors alike are starting to have second thoughts.

"When you put a patient on a PPI, you're essentially setting them up to be on it for a lifetime," said Thygeson. "I think we need to back away from those drugs."

Grateful -- at first

Bernice Koniar had every reason to feel grateful when her doctor started her on heartburn medication. She had just learned she had gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), a cause of chronic acid indigestion and all-around misery.

And there was nothing more effective for that condition, experts said, than this new class of acid-suppressing drugs.

Actually, they were the second big breakthrough. The first, cimetidine (Tagamet), revolutionized treatment by blocking acid production for short periods.

Then Prilosec, the first proton-pump inhibitor, made its debut in 1989.

"This drug was a miracle," said Dr. Robert Ganz, a Twin Cities gastroenterologist and associate professor at the University of Minnesota. It was remarkably effective for GERD, a condition that causes stomach acid to leak into the esophagus, which in turn can cause burning sensations, nausea and even permanent damage.

In the past, he said, doctors could offer little beyond temporary relief (Tums or Mylanta) or, for severe cases, surgery. "Without this drug, you'd have 20 million people going to surgery," he said. "This drug was one of the great pharmaceutical discoveries ... of all time."

It's now a certified blockbuster, with $13.6 billion in sales last year (more, counting over-the-counter sales).

Prilosec was approved for "short term treatment (4-8 weeks)" for most symptoms, according to its label. AstraZeneca, which makes Prilosec and Nexium, said its own studies showed that nine-tenths of acid reflux patients "successfully healed" in eight weeks.

But once the Food and Drug Administration gave its blessing, doctors were free to prescribe them for as long as they liked.

As a result, patients like Koniar, who lives in Minnetonka, have been taking the pills for years. Now 66, she weaned herself off the medication about a month ago. "I was just taking a drug for something that didn't exist anymore," she said last month.

No apparent reason?

In recent years, several studies have suggested that many people are taking the drug for no apparent reason. In one Michigan hospital, researchers reviewed patient charts in 2005 and concluded that 60 percent were started on acid-suppressing drugs with no valid explanation.

In May, an editorial in the Archives of Internal Medicine claimed that 53 to 69 percent of the prescriptions for acid suppressors are "for inappropriate indications."

Dr. David Peura, an industry consultant and former president of the American Gastroenterological Association, readily admits that the drugs are overused. But he said that's partly because doctors are reluctant to take patients off medicine if it seems to be working. "One of the first rules in medicine is, don't poke a skunk," said Peura, a retired academic and researcher in Virginia. "That's why I think a lot of people are probably on the medicine who probably don't need it."

At the same time, he and others say, the reasons for using the drugs have expanded. They're widely used to prevent ulcers in vulnerable patients, such as the elderly who take daily aspirin. Some doctors even use them to diagnose patients with vague symptoms. Instead of ordering a diagnostic procedure, such as an endoscopy, they might give the patient the drug to see if they improve, said Ganz, a partner in Minnesota Gastroenterology. "What's the downside?" he asks. "I might make you feel better. I'm saving you an invasive test." And if it works, "I'm a hero."

Critics, though, aren't so sure. In the past few years, studies have linked the drugs to an increased risk of bone fractures, pneumonia and an intestinal infection called C. difficile. There's also concern the medication may interfere with a heart drug, Plavix.

And last year, researchers in Denmark found that healthy volunteers who took the drugs for eight weeks experienced heartburn and other symptoms when they abruptly stopped. It's what scientists call the "rebound effect."

The theory is that when someone stops taking the drug, the acid production system kicks into overdrive, causing even harsher symptoms.

"It's the best business model ever," says Plotnikoff, a longtime critic. "The more you take it, the more you need it." His solution: Wean patients slowly.

Industry scientists, as well as some national experts, downplay concerns about the rebound effect and say the studies on bone fractures and other side effects are flawed and inconclusive.

"The concern about acid rebound is really not a significant concern," said Dr. David Johnson, chief of gastroenterology at Eastern Virginia Medical School and a consultant to drugmakers. He said if symptoms recur, it's probably due to the underlying condition.

He also said the evidence of side effects is weak and contradictory. His own review, published in April, found no evidence that the drugs interfere with Plavix, for example.

AstraZeneca, one of the largest manufacturers, did not respond to requests for comment.

However, an official at Takeda Pharmaceuticals, which makes Prevacid and Dexilant, said the company takes the concerns seriously. "The data are far from clear," said medical director Dr. Gilles Delecoeuillerie. As a result, the company is conducting its own tests on the reported side effects.

But concerns about overuse and safety are starting to change attitudes, even if the risks are low, said Peura, who has studied the drugs extensively. "The paradigm has sort of shifted," he said. "We recognize that we should probably be taking people off the medication, or at least lowering the dose."

But as someone who's been taking the pills himself for years, he knows that may not be easy. "They made people really feel good for the first time," he said. And doctors are under more pressure than ever to find a quick fix for patient complaints. "If we can deal with that with a pill, we'll do it."

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/104212933.html?page=1&c=y

bellevuebully
3rd October 2010, 07:57 PM
The same could be said for so many medications today. What a racket.

sunshine05
4th October 2010, 08:01 PM
It makes me nervous. My 5 year old was born with esophageal atresia and reflux is a huge problem for him. He has to take the meds for it, either pepcid or zantac or he really suffers, even chokes and gags from the reflux, especially when he has a cold and we have to worry about him aspirating and ending up with pneumonia. But I worry about the side effects. I try not to medicate him when he does not have a cold. For some reason the congestion really aggravates it. But I have yet to find a natural alternative. I also have to give him albuterol breathing treatments when he gets sick and sometimes prednisone if he gets really bad. I don't like it but I think for now we are stuck with it.

Shami-Amourae
5th October 2010, 01:52 AM
It makes me nervous. My 5 year old was born with esophageal atresia and reflux is a huge problem for him. He has to take the meds for it, either pepcid or zantac or he really suffers, even chokes and gags from the reflux, especially when he has a cold and we have to worry about him aspirating and ending up with pneumonia. But I worry about the side effects. I try not to medicate him when he does not have a cold. For some reason the congestion really aggravates it. But I have yet to find a natural alternative. I also have to give him albuterol breathing treatments when he gets sick and sometimes prednisone if he gets really bad. I don't like it but I think for now we are stuck with it.

MOST Western medicine is about covering up the problems, NOT FIXING THEM!!!!

I had serious problems with acid reflux, eosinophilic esophagitis, and breathing problems but solved all with natural solutions. I was vomiting up my own stomach acid ever 8 minutes and my doctors told me there was no cure for acid reflux, and that I'd be on expensive medication the rest of my life (doctor had me on 2x Protonix a day, @$12 a day!) I told one of my doctors I knew it was a lie, and I'd find a cure on my own, and I did!

Pepcid, Zantac, and any other PPI are the WORST thing to do. The problem isn't stomach acid, it's not ENOUGH stomach acid. Big Pharma wants us to believe stomach acid is bad, so they give us medications to stop the production of stomach acid and/or neutralize it which causes more semi-neutralized acid to be produced and splash up into the esophagus, and make you MORE miserable, so you need MORE acid suppression to at least make the acid not burn a hole into your esophagus since the doctors like to float around the word "throat cancer" around to scare you into buying yet more! You then develop Irritable Bowel Syndrome and get tons of gas since you're not digesting anything anymore and your internal organs have a bunch of crap rotting in them, making you yet MORE sick. We eat all this crap in our Western diet and can't properly digest food because of all the salt, fats, soy, and sugar. Apple cider vinegar breaks our crappy Western diet DOWN and protects us from MANY other ailments. There are many solutions to both, so I'd like to list them out for you by how effective they were for me:

Acid Reflux:
Apple Cider Vinegar<---THE BEST
Take a teaspoon of it after every meal (Bragg (http://www.amazon.com/Bragg-Apple-Vinegar-gallon-liquid/dp/B000OP1W0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286287785&sr=8-1) is the best brand by far), or a capsule (http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU292/ItemDetail), whatever you can tolerate the best.
Vitamin B Complex
Magnesium
Vitamin D
Turmeric
Probiotics
Chewable Papaya Enzyme (Take it when you feel the acid burning)
Refer to the NEXT list. Allergies and Acid Reflux sometimes are tied together!

Allergies/Asthma/Breathing Problems:

Apple Cider Vinegar
Raw/Unfiltered Honey
Raw honey contains 90% of the environmental allergens and trains your immune system to tolerate/resist them. Try to get it locally if you can so you get more local allergens covered.
If you haven't see an allergist to find out if your child has a food allergy, or an environmental allergy (like dust, trees, and so forth.) I found out I had a gluten allergy, and after 3 months of quitting I felt MUCH better.
Vitamin D
HEPA air purifier
Quercetin & Bromelain
Bee Propolis
Cherry Bark

These are things I've used to treat similar problems. Natural supplements usually don't work right away, so be patient. Some take days to months to kick in, but they DO work! Your child's problems obviously aren't exactly what mine were, but please look into all of these things. I'm sure your child will find some relief if you take a more natural route. Good luck to you both!

RJB
5th October 2010, 05:55 AM
Acid is needed for absorbing many vital minerals. Tums with calcium for instance is a rip off because the calcium in it can't be absorbed. Stifling acid can lead to deficencies in minerals.

Also the body gets rid of a lot of waste by turning it into stomach acid. Shutting down the proton pumps causes the body to store a lot of this crap resulting in degerative diseases down the road.

3 of the main causes of "GERD" seem to be:

1: Allergens: It could be anything from wheat (gluten) products, nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes[french fries] etc.), nicotine, alcohol, etc. I used to get heartburn from oatmeal, so I ate more under the mistaken idea that it had to be good for me. My heartburn just became worse. Look for what foods trigger it and avoid them, even if some "expert" says that food is good for you.

An Italian friend was worried that he was allergic to spagetti sauce (tomatoes). He found he wouldn't get heart burn when he ate meat and tomato sauce or pasta with a sauce other than tomatoes-- somehow the combo of pasta and tomatoes upset him.

2. Lack of acid: This may sound like an oxymoron, but if your stomach does not produce enough acid, the food sits in the stomach too long and produces gas that forces it's way into the esophagus, bringing acid with it.

3. Hiatal hernias: Sometimes a bit of the stomach slips above the diaphram muscle allowing acid to leak easily into the esophogus.

Natural approaches: enzymes like pepsin especially if you have trouble digesting protein and actual acid (vinegar, betaine HCL)to aid digestion. Avoid foods or products that cause it. Visit an acupuncturist, chiropractor, naturopath, etc. Just beware of the ones trying to get you to come in for excessive visits or a shopping bag of unneeded supplements.

For hiatal hernias, in sever cases you might need surgery. Alternative healers can help too. Sometimes drinking a lot of water on an empty stomach and jumping off a step will cause the stomach to drop into place-- more importantly do your own research. Don't take the word of some guy on the internet ;D

MNeagle
5th October 2010, 06:10 AM
This was a sidebar story to the OP:

One woman's struggle to throw away her heartburn pills
Gayle Colehour decided to challenge herself to find a natural way to relieve a lifetime of digestive issues.

On May 5, 2008, Gayle Colehour began a radical experiment. She stopped eating almost everything she enjoyed -- cheese, milk, corn, wheat, tomatoes, potatoes, salad dressing -- for 10 days.

It was the first step in an elaborate attempt to free herself of a daily habit: taking a heartburn pill.

Colehour, 52, who lives in Maple Grove, had been taking Prilosec for a year and a half. Although it relieved her symptoms after a lifetime of digestive turmoil, she was troubled. "I just didn't like the idea of being on this medicine indefinitely," she said.

Her physician, Dr. Greg Plotnikoff, couldn't have agreed more. He has made it his mission to help patients like Colehour find relief the natural way at his clinic, Allina's Penny George Institute for Health and Healing in Minneapolis.

Plotnikoff argues that drugs like Prilosec mask the underlying problem rather than solve it.

But as Colehour discovered, the alternative -- diet, exercise and lifestyle changes -- can put patients and their families to the test. After her 10-day "elimination diet," she started adding foods back slowly to see if any triggered indigestion. They did.

"It seemed to me that my sensitivities were corn, wheat and dairy," she said. "I did better when I didn't eat [them]."

After that, she overhauled her diet permanently and even banished her husband's junk food from the house. "Some things that I can't resist I make him keep in the van," she said.

Colehour, a program therapist at Allina's Unity Hospital, also took up yoga and ginger tea and gave up evening snacks. It took eight weeks to wean herself off the pills.

Was it worth it? Absolutely, she says.

Her husband, Mike, 54, admits he's jealous. He's been on Prilosec for six years and can't seem to stop. "Maybe a year, six months from now, I'll get the intestinal fortitude to try to battle it one more time," he said.

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/104215423.html?elr=KArks7PYDiaK7DUvDE7aL_V_BD77:Di iUiacyKUUr

RJB
5th October 2010, 06:21 AM
On May 5, 2008, Gayle Colehour began a radical experiment. She stopped eating almost everything she enjoyed -- cheese, milk, corn, wheat, tomatoes, potatoes, salad dressing -- for 10 days.

These are great posts MN.

Your stomach, after the tongue of course, is your first line of defense when eating. If your stomach gets upset, it's your body's way of saying, "I can't handle what you are putting in me."

By shutting off that warning, it allows us to consume food that can have a devastating affect in the long run. Finding what food is good for you and what is poison is critical for good health.

Shami-Amourae
5th October 2010, 06:52 AM
Few comments I'd like to make:

In that article MNeagle quoted she did an elimination diet, which basically allowed her to take out everything that could possibly be causing the problem, then reintroducing them to find the allergen. A better solution is to see an allergist and have them do an allergy prick test or blood test to find out what you're allergic to. I'm allergic to corn, soy, legumes, and wheat (SEVERELY), so I only had to cut out wheat since the reaction was so strong. Some people believe they can't eat certain foods ever again (that they aren't allergic to), but this isn't true. This is where stuff like apple cider vinegar comes into play. Before I had acid reflux I'd eat a lot of chili peppers everyday, and once I got the disease I couldn't even nibble on one. Now with the apple cider vinegar I'm eating even MORE chilis than I did before, and I never have a need for Tums like I did before (even before I had acid reflux.) This effectively lets you get around the other triggers of acid reflux that aren't allergy related.
You totally have to wean yourself off the PPIs, or other acid suppression drugs if you plan on taking a more natural route (do both simultaneously as a transition.) It took me almost 5 months to totally stop taking them. I originally got it from 2 Protonix a day, to 1, then to 2 Prevacid a day (15mg), then 1, then 1 every two days, four days, week, two weeks, then finally stopped and I'm fine now.
Hiatus hernias are actually extremely common and many people have them and never know about it, or have a problem with them. In my case I had a small one, but it wasn't the trigger of my acid reflux. Simple things like losing weight can sometimes correct this problem, though very rarely is it a bigger problem than this. After all the people I've talked to with the disease I personally believe it is usually caused by old age (lack of stomach acid), or some sort of food allergy. When you combine these with our modern Western diet it causes all out chaos in our bodies. The result is a bunch of stupid compartmentalized doctors who write out tons of prescriptions for super expensive PPI pills that don't solve anything, but make you sicker.

sunshine05
6th October 2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the info Shami. Just FYI, but my son's reflux is due to anatomical problems due mostly to poor motility since his esohpagus is not normal. And at the surgery site, it balloons out a little and pushes on the trachea, thus causing the severe coughing fits when he is sick. He had surgery on this (aortopexy) at 6 months to lift the trachea as it was 90% compressed in one section. All of the kids I know with this condition suffer with reflux and breathing issues/pneumonia,etc. I try really hard to keep him as healthy as possible. I nursed him until age 2, no vaccines, organic diet. I also give him vit D, fish oil, probiotics and local honey. I don't think he would tolerate the ACV. I wish he would. I just don't think I could get him to drink it and he can not swallow a pill so that is out for now.

Abstract

Gastroesophageal reflux (GER) often develops in children who have undergone prior repair of esophageal atresia/tracheoesophageal fistula (EA/TEF). Fundoplication is necessary in many of these children. The complete wrap (Nissen) fundoplication is often used in this setting. However, poor results have been noted, with a mean failure rate of 30% reported in four recent studies. A partial wrap fundoplication for GER associated with EA/TEF is theoretically attractive, because the poor esophageal motility and diminished acid clearance (already physiologically present) is exacerbated by a complete wrap fundoplication. The authors reviewed their extensive experience with partial wrap (Thal) fundoplication in EA/TEF to determine if the failure rate was better than that reported for the Nissen fundoplication. In the past 18 years, the authors performed 1,467 fundoplication procedures. During the same period, 143 children underwent repair of EA/TEF. Fifty-nine children underwent fundoplication after a previous EA/TEF repair. Most of the fundoplications (58 of 59, 98%) were Thal procedures. Defining failure strictly as a need for reoperation, the failure rate in our series was 15% (9 of 59 children). (poor acid cleCompared with the failure rate in the 1,408 non-EA/TEF patients (61 of 1408, 4.3%), results were significantly worse for the EA/TEF group (P > .001). The failure rate of Thal fundoplication performed for GER in the EA/TEF population is substantially higher than the non-EA/TEF patients. The same factors responsible for the development of reflux in these children (acid clearance, altered motility, esophageal shortening) may contribute to the higher failure rate. Although partial wrap fundoplication frequently failed (15%), the results were still substantially better than those reported for Nissen fundoplication in these children (30% failure rate).

Shami-Amourae
6th October 2010, 06:42 PM
I also give him vit D, fish oil, probiotics and local honey. I don't think he would tolerate the ACV. I wish he would. I just don't think I could get him to drink it and he can not swallow a pill so that is out for now.

I realize your son's instance with GERD is more unique in that it's more physical (IF the doctors are being honest with you, and I highlight that since I was lied to about it repeatedly and almost went through the surgery myself.) The next best thing is to minimize the reflux. Magnesium is extremely helpful considering it quickens the speed of digestion by allowing sphincter at the bottom of the stomach relax. GERD runs in my family (they still take PPIs), and I'm the first to ever cure it, so I know I was doing something right. Speeding up and improving digestion are just as good at fighting GERD, and you can theoretically still have it, but live symptom free naturally because your digestive system is so super charged.

Some people can't tolerate drinking apple cider vinegar so they take it in capsule form (I did this when I had GERD), or better yet make it into a delicious drink with honey. Make it like you would do with lemonade, but with Apple Cider Vinegar in place of the lemon juice, and honey in place of the sugar.

http://bragg.com/products/images/ACV_drinks/ACV_Honey.jpg (http://bragg.com/products/bragg-organic-apple-cider-vinegar-drink-honey.html)

Another suggestion, if this helps, is get your son hooked on black licorice candy. Black licorice is wonderful as coating the stomach/esophagus and protecting it better from the stomach acid. Eat the black licorice 20 minutes or so before meals and it will protect quite well.

sunshine05
6th October 2010, 06:56 PM
Thank you. I will have to try that drink. He really only has noticeable reflux when he has a cold. Why, I do not know. I can actually hear it. It sounds almost like wet burps and then he coughs/chokes. Then I give him the meds and the reflux stops. I hate giving it to him but I am so afraid of aspiration pneumonia. He ended up with it last Fall and it was scary. Anyhow, I'm taking him back to the surgeon to make sure he doesn't need a dilation because he has been struggling so much with colds. They can usually check for reflux when they do the x-ray/swallow study. So we'll see. I really appreciate all the information. We are always looking for natural treatments for everything:).

sunshine05
6th October 2010, 06:57 PM
You don't know if I may be able to find magnesium in a chewable form do you?

Shami-Amourae
6th October 2010, 08:32 PM
You don't know if I may be able to find magnesium in a chewable form do you?

Here's the cheapest thing I could find with chewable magnesium. It's a complex with other essentials you already need for the acid reflux and should it should replace everything else. It's also important to supplement Calcium if you're taking acid suppressing medication since they block natural Calcium absorption, so you need to supplement. That's why people who take acid suppressors for a long time suddenly end up with Osteoporosis at young ages.
http://images.swansonvitamins.com/en_US/images/ItemImages_SW/images_id/NTP013_id.jpg (http://www.swansonvitamins.com/NTP013/ItemDetail)
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/NTP013/ItemDetail
You could easily split each of these into 2 for your son, considering his age. I only take 500mg of magnesium a day.

Okay you REALLY need to get your son on Apple Cider Vinegar. I had those wet burps too, and that's the EXACT word I used to describe them back then. Food is rotting in your son's digestive system because of all those acid suppressors, and all that gas is from rotting food, and it's pushing the stomach acid up. This is extremely unhealthy and absolutely pure evil that doctors knowingly destroy stomach acid, allowing you to get MORE sick to hook you into MORE of their products, just to cover up the burning sensation of the acid. You need to get more acid down there and super charge the digestive system somehow that is tolerable for someone your son's age. Doctors will tell you the total opposite, and this is why I'm so passionate about this issue since it infuriates me how far from reality what the doctors are telling you.

When I first started Apple Cider Vinegar I couldn't handle the liquid form because it was too strong on my esophagus, so I quit. I later gave it another chance because I heard about all the positive success, but this time I did it in capsule form. The capsule form bypassed the burning of the esophagus for me and corrected my digestive problem. The wet burps stopped after a couple of days, and I now can drink the liquid Apple Cider Vinegar now that my esophagus is fully healed. I described in an earlier post that I was vomiting up my stomach contents up ever 8 minutes, that's what the "wet burps" were. The longer the "wet burps" go on the worse shape the esophagus gets, then suddenly you need another costly surgery. Do you see where this is all going? You can protect the esophagus with the black licorice, but the best thing to do long term is getting the stomach more acidic, and getting the digestive system to work a lot faster.

sunshine05
7th October 2010, 06:52 AM
Thank you so much! I will order those. He is good about taking supplements. And I will definitely try the ACV. Maybe if I mix it with a lot of apple juice he will drink it. I'll keep you posted.

Jewboo
8th September 2016, 09:17 AM
http://img.4plebs.org/boards/pol/image/1473/35/1473350555560.jpg

Half Sense
8th September 2016, 04:58 PM
The heartburn drugs, known as proton-pump inhibitors (PPIs), are designed to reduce the body's ability to pump acid into the stomach.

I am treating acid reflux with Hydrochloric Acid (with Pepsin). I get it from Swanson Vitamins, $8.99 for 250 capsules. I take 2 with breakfast and sometimes remember to take 2 with dinner, but the 2 with breakfast seems to work fine, too.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-hydrochloric-acid-pepsin-250-caps (http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-hydrochloric-acid-pepsin-250-caps)

This adds acid to your stomach instead of suppressing it. Not sure how it would work on a youngster but for older people with decreased stomach acid it should be a cheap treatment with no side effects, and it will allow full digestion of foods.

ximmy
8th September 2016, 05:17 PM
Plotnikoff argues that drugs like Prilosec mask the underlying problem rather than solve it.

Keep being a fat-ass and eat anything you want...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mYP7eiz5Co