PDA

View Full Version : First-Person Perspective From Renters: 10 Reasons We Live Mortgage-Free

MNeagle
6th October 2010, 08:19 AM
By Steve Thompson, Associated Content

My wife and I come from long lines of homeowners who value their home's equity. Aside from my wife's brother, we are the only renters in our extended family, and we constantly find ourselves defending our choice. But for us, the benefits of living mortgage-free far outweigh the downsides. Here are 10 reasons we rent:

1. No Property Taxes

Although they are lower here than in other parts of the country, property taxes would add a significant burden to our annual expenses. Many homeowners don't take this into account when shopping for a house, then find themselves strapped. Unbeknownst to us, taxes might be built into our rent, but at least there are no surprises.

2. No Association Fees

Homeowners associations would likely take another chunk of money from our income if we owned a condo, townhome or single-family house (though not all houses come with an HOA, many in Houston that I'd consider living in do). These fees could cover anything from lawn services to signage to community pool maintenance. Again, this might be included in the rent we pay now, but it's not an extra monthly payment.

3. No Maintenance Expenses

Perhaps one of the most important benefits of us living mortgage-free is the absence of maintenance costs. If my hot-water heater starts running cold or the dishwasher starts leaking, the property manager or landlord is responsible for fixing the problem. If we owned the home, we'd need to foot the bill.

4. No Roots

Other than a lease, there is nothing keeping my wife and I in our current home because we're mortgage-free. As soon as our lease expires, we can move across town or across the country without dealing with real estate brokers, finicky buyers or disheartening inspections. We can just pack up and move on.

5. Free Utilities

Although far from universal, free utilities are common among Houston rentals. My wife and I can get free water, free sewage, free heat, free electricity, free basic cable and free trash pick-up included in our rent.

6. Lower Utilities

We have lived in several rented condos and townhomes, which are generally smaller and less exposed to the elements than single-family houses. Our last townhome, for example, only had windows on the north and south sides, which meant that the summer sun never came through to heat up the house during the summer. This is a big perk in a place like Houston, where summers are excruciatingly warm.

7. Free Perks

When living mortgage-free in an apartment, townhome, or condominium complex, the community amenities are well worth the rent. Pools, fitness centers, DVD libraries, book libraries, juice bars, walking trails, ponds, and more are all common features. And with none of the aforementioned HOA fees to diminish their value.

8. Less Risk

As suggested by the University of Maryland University College, there is less risk associated with renting. When living mortgage-free, I (and renters like me) don't have to worry about coming up with a large down payment and risking foreclosure or loss of equity if the market tanks.

9. Lower Insurance Rates

The renters insurance we pay is less expensive than the homeowners insurance we'd need if we owned a single-family home because we don't need to insure the actual dwelling -- just the personal property inside.

10. Opportunities for Investments

Money that would be tied up in the equity of my house if I were a homeowner is instead used to invest. My wife and I are both self-employed, so we don't have the benefits packages often available to employed professionals. Therefore, we put every extra dime we make into our retirement account. The money we pay in rent might get "flushed down the toilet," as homeowners often say, but the money we don't spend on mortgages, HOA fees and maintenance expenses is invested and earning interest.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110934/first-person-perspective-from-renters-10-reasons-we-live-mortgage-free

k-os
6th October 2010, 08:32 AM
If I lose the house I have now, for any reason, I will gladly be a renter.

#3 is the killer at my house. I bought an affordable home, but that affordability is devoured with each maintenance expense.

chad
6th October 2010, 08:34 AM
#3 is killing me as well. have to fix roads, buy stuff to clear driveway snow in winter, furnaces, wells, etc.

Ponce
6th October 2010, 08:43 AM
Not only for my home but my "total" yearly expenses, not counting food or gasoline, is of $4,350........is not what you do but how you do it........as a retiree I love to work and maintain my property which is one of the best looking ones in this area.

Silver Shield
6th October 2010, 09:16 AM
I sold my house at the top of NJ housing bubble and rented 3 years there.
I loved owing nothing to no one.

I did become a home owner again when I moved to Ohio.
While I do not like the mortgage, I did buy a house 4 times the size and 100 years newer for 75% of what I sold the NJ house for.

I did not like the idea of WTSHTF being so close to other people who if they are renting, probably not the most stable income.
I also wanted a "castle" for me to defend.
I wanted to have land for gardening.
I wanted to be out of an urban area, where most renters are.
I wanted a place to store preps long term.
The tax write off is still beneficial.
I lowered my payment by refinancing.(My rental rate went up every year.)
My property taxes are going down next year.
Since the house is new the upkeep is very little.
And finally I believe that with the hyper inflation the mortgage debt will be a few hundred ounces of silver.

Book
6th October 2010, 09:21 AM
Home Ownership was a fun ride of insane "profits" until everybody realized that the prices go down and not always up.

:ROFL:

ximmy
6th October 2010, 10:05 AM
There is an alternative... put pride aside and buy a cheap little house... Low mortgage, low insurance, low taxes...

Give your family and friends the finger when they laugh... a wave goodbye when they are foreclosed on... ;D

Twisted Titan
6th October 2010, 10:55 AM
By Steve Thompson, Associated Content

1. No Property Taxes

Although they are lower here than in other parts of the country, property taxes would add a significant burden to our annual expenses. Many homeowners don't take this into account when shopping for a house, then find themselves strapped. Unbeknownst to us, taxes might be built into our rent, but at least there are no surprises.

A shrewd landlord will have no problem adding a "special assement" on to your rent I did this personally and gave them tenant the option to pay the increase or they can break the lease with they opted to leave ( which is what I wanted in the first place)

2. No Association Fees

Homeowners associations would likely take another chunk of money from our income if we owned a condo, townhome or single-family house (though not all houses come with an HOA, many in Houston that I'd consider living in do). These fees could cover anything from lawn services to signage to community pool maintenance. Again, this might be included in the rent we pay now, but it's not an extra monthly payment.

If your home was subletted (and was properly structured) you are paying this fee you just dont have the "burden" of physically writing a check made out to HOA. its kind of like when a store tells you :buy three and the fourth is free ( the cost of the fourth has been spread out among the others)

3. No Maintenance Expenses

Perhaps one of the most important benefits of us living mortgage-free is the absence of maintenance costs. If my hot-water heater starts running cold or the dishwasher starts leaking, the property manager or landlord is responsible for fixing the problem. If we owned the home, we'd need to foot the bill.

This couple is dreaming..... if the water heater breaks YOU DO PAY FOR IT just not right then and there but I will recoup the money also if a Tenant breaks a big ticket item ( ie Fridge, stove Tub etc) they are going to foot the bill right on the spot or we will work out a repayment option. This is sheep thinking at its best

4. No Roots

Other than a lease, there is nothing keeping my wife and I in our current home because we're mortgage-free. As soon as our lease expires, we can move across town or across the country without dealing with real estate brokers, finicky buyers or disheartening inspections. We can just pack up and move on.

To the single person this is a great option but when you throw a family in the mix one of the most tramatic experinces outside of death is having to costantly be on the move. Kids grow up with a lack of stabilty because everything is always subject to change. I will give them a 50/50 on that.

5. Free Utilities

Although far from universal, free utilities are common among Houston rentals. My wife and I can get free water, free sewage, free heat, free electricity, free basic cable and free trash pick-up included in our rent.

This guy can not do simple math?? your rent covers your utilites again you just dont have the "burden" of physically writing the check plus I can find ways to reduce the bill but you would still be responsible for the same rent and also the yearly increases.

6. Lower Utilities

We have lived in several rented condos and townhomes, which are generally smaller and less exposed to the elements than single-family houses. Our last townhome, for example, only had windows on the north and south sides, which meant that the summer sun never came through to heat up the house during the summer. This is a big perk in a place like Houston, where summers are excruciatingly warm.

7. Free Perks

When living mortgage-free in an apartment, townhome, or condominium complex, the community amenities are well worth the rent. Pools, fitness centers, DVD libraries, book libraries, juice bars, walking trails, ponds, and more are all common features. And with none of the aforementioned HOA fees to diminish their value.

This is to intice you to stay because as a LL I make my money over the lenght of the tenancy basically all those things will be paid for several times over depending on the rention rate.

8. Less Risk

As suggested by the University of Maryland University College, there is less risk associated with renting. When living mortgage-free, I (and renters like me) don't have to worry about coming up with a large down payment and risking foreclosure or loss of equity if the market tanks.

This guy living in a dream world somebody please pull the article where thousand of renters woke up to find the sheriff putting padlocks on the door because the LL took the money and ran leaving the tenant with the hairy details of trying to recover their property.

9. Lower Insurance Rates

The renters insurance we pay is less expensive than the homeowners insurance we'd need if we owned a single-family home because we don't need to insure the actual dwelling -- just the personal property inside.

The reason why renters insurance is so low is because you will have a hell of time trying to reddeem on the policy should a break in or fire occur.

You have to wait for a police report.
Then you file a claim.
Then you have way to find a way to establish the present value of the lost item ( it is a depreciating asset).Dont have a reciept to back up the price you are claming " too bad so sad" that 500 radio will be claimed for 70 bucks.

By time you are finished you wont even have gotten back your even half of the premuims you paid. WHICH IS WHY THEY HOCK IT TO YOU IN THE FIRST DAM PLACE.

10. Opportunities for Investments

Money that would be tied up in the equity of my house if I were a homeowner is instead used to invest. My wife and I are both self-employed, so we don't have the benefits packages often available to employed professionals. Therefore,
we put every extra dime we make into our retirement account. The money we pay in rent might get "flushed down the toilet," as homeowners often say, but the money we don't spend on mortgages, HOA fees and maintenance expenses is invested and earning interest.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110934/first-person-perspective-from-renters-10-reasons-we-live-mortgage-free

I rest my case...............

Ponce
6th October 2010, 12:34 PM
A home is not an "investment" but a roof over your head........what you do after that is between you and your luck........also a home gives you roots and also a sense of belonging.

milehi
6th October 2010, 12:37 PM
If I was renting, I'd be wondering if the landlord was paying the mortgage or pocketing the rent.

Twisted Titan
6th October 2010, 01:27 PM
If I was renting, I'd be wondering if the landlord was paying the mortgage or pocketing the rent.
http://www.stltoday.com/business/columns/savvy-consumer/article_87fe1c44-c5c7-11df-aed2-0017a4a78c22.html

NOOB
6th October 2010, 03:17 PM
"Unbeknownst to us, taxes might be built into our rent, but at least there are no surprises."

Nah the owner didn't think to add property tax costs to his rent equation, or the "FREE utilities"

Sounds like the kind of people that think they don't pay income tax if they get a partial refund of taxes paid. No i get money every year I don't pay.

etc
3rd November 2010, 07:18 AM
Real estate is still terribly overpriced.
Look at the rent to own ratio. Renting is still a bargain in major metro areas. A little less so than it was 4 years ago. However, RE market still has a long way to drop before buying becomes viable again.
My goal is 1000-2000 oz of silver for a house. That's historic norm. Anything more than that is overpriced.

Twisted Titan
3rd November 2010, 07:48 AM
Real estate is still terribly overpriced.
Look at the rent to own ratio. Renting is still a bargain in major metro areas. A little less so than it was 4 years ago. However, RE market still has a long way to drop before buying becomes viable again.
My goal is 1000-2000 oz of silver for a house. That's historic norm. Anything more than that is overpriced.

Yes but the risk is greatly increased as a result of the economic situation.

Just a matter of who is going to get screwed first.

T