PDA

View Full Version : how long will dry canned pasta last?

chad
6th October 2010, 06:18 PM
noodles in mason jars w/oxy absorbers...i see people saying 2 years, but i don't believe it. has to be longer.

CrufflerJJ
6th October 2010, 06:51 PM
If the pasta is stored in a dark place with reasonable temperatures, I'd also think that the useful storage life would be more on the order of 5-10 years.

Sparky
6th October 2010, 11:06 PM
Most pasta is labeled "Best by" about 2-3 years into the future when it's boxed. I found a box out of order in my pasta hoard tonight; dated "Best by May 2010". I cooked it, and it was delicious.

Wait... :puke

Just kidding. Canned with absorbers, you're probably good for 4-5 years, after which the taste and nutritional value may begin to deteriorate. How long do you need it to last? Remember, everyone: rotate and use your food preps.

chad
7th October 2010, 10:37 AM
i was hoping another 2 years or so (it's been 2 years already, so 4 years total). i figure if we are still around in 2 years and i haven't had to use it, i'm either dead or we've been saved.

Sparky
7th October 2010, 10:45 AM
i was hoping another 2 years or so (it's been 2 years already, so 4 years total). i figure if we are still around in 2 years and i haven't had to use it, i'm either dead or we've been saved.

4 years is a reasonable expectation for your pasta. But I suggest that you adjust your thinking on when you might need it.

mightymanx
15th October 2010, 12:40 AM
I have eaten pasta in the origonal box that was 5 years old and it was fine.

I think sealed in glass with O2 absorbers it should outlast you.