PDA

View Full Version : Ammo suggestion needed Thompson Contender.

still afloat
7th October 2010, 09:33 AM
Does anyone know of any factory loaded ammo in 30-30 that would have a fast enough burning powder , properly shaped and weight bullet for a Thompson contender with 10 inch barrel? Will be used on White Tail deer.
Waited a little too late to have some loaded up for me so looking for something better than Walmarts standard round nose stuff for lever action rifles.
Also does anyone have a good reload combination for the same 30-30 contender?
Thanks

steyr_m
7th October 2010, 10:13 AM
Any factory loaded ammo will work. Many a WT Deer have been dropped by the 30-30.

If you want improved ballistics, and reload (as you mentioned you do); use a generic load with spitzer bullets of the same weight. Remember not use in a tube magazine (if there's a chance they may end up in a rifle), the bullets are usually rounded so the recoil doesn't set off the round in front of it.

Dogman
7th October 2010, 10:19 AM
Any factory loaded ammo. Many a WT Deer have been dropped by the 30-30.

If you want improved ballistics, and reload; use spitzer bullets of the same weight. Remember not use in a tube magazine, they're rounded so the recoil doesn't set off the round in front of it.

The 30-30 has without a doubt has brought down more deer in this country than all other caliber cartridge combined.

still afloat
7th October 2010, 11:28 AM
The Thompson is the only 30-30 I have so no danger of using it in tube feed arms.
I was just wanting a round that would be better suited for the short 10 inch barrel , my understanding that short of a barrel does not get full burn of powder on factory rifle loads.
I've always just practiced and shot with the remington 30-30 round nose in 160 to 170 grain
Which ever was on the shelf at the time .
Would I be better off dropping back to 130 to 150 grain spire point ?

willie pete
7th October 2010, 11:33 AM
The Thompson is the only 30-30 I have so no danger of using it in tube feed arms.
I was just wanting a round that would be better suited for the short 10 inch barrel , my understanding that short of a barrel does not get full burn of powder on factory rifle loads.
I've always just practiced and shot with the remington 30-30 round nose in 160 to 170 grain

Would it even matter? I'm no ballistics expert, but I'd think hunting deer with a TC, you're going to be as close as possible?

still afloat
7th October 2010, 01:34 PM
I'm no expert on loads which is why I asked .
From word of mouth of self described experts on reloading and what I've seen online .*again anything can be posted on the interweb* factory rifle loads will not have a complete powder burn and thus many times there will not be the bullet expansion needed for a one shot clean kill with the round nose 30-30 designed for the tube fed 94s .etc with the longer barrel.
So I asked here , that way there are enough people that know alot more than I do that can call BS if BS is posted . I have one arm and a bad knee so I want as much of an edge as I can get because though I could and would track down a wounded deer I prefer not to have to.

Dogman
7th October 2010, 02:05 PM
I'm no expert on loads which is why I asked .
From word of mouth of self described experts on reloading and what I've seen online .*again anything can be posted on the interweb* factory rifle loads will not have a complete powder burn and thus many times there will not be the bullet expansion needed for a one shot clean kill with the round nose 30-30 designed for the tube fed 94s .etc with the longer barrel.
So I asked here , that way there are enough people that know alot more than I do that can call BS if BS is posted . I have one arm and a bad knee so I want as much of an edge as I can get because though I could and would track down a wounded deer I prefer not to have to.

You may be correct on the lack of full powder burn, It would be fun if you have a friend with a chronometer to see just what your load and 10" barrel can do. That would with some math tell you everything you would need to know so far as foot pounds delivered at what range. I use one when working up loads for myself and others so everything about the loads can be documented.

So far as using your gun, the best would be shoot as close range as you can and shot placement critical because you will not be getting full expansion of the bullet compared with a rifle.

You may want to look into the ballistic tip rounds that are out there. http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/leverevolution.asp For example.

Anything to help expansion of the bullet and create more damage to be sure of a kill.

steyr_m
7th October 2010, 06:46 PM

Bullet: 130 gr Speer
Powder: N120
Starting load: 21.7 gr
Max load: 25.8
Velocity: 2024

Bullet: 105 gr Lapua
Starting load: 22.8 gr
Max load: 26.8
Velocity: 2271

I'll send more load data if you want

still afloat
7th October 2010, 10:04 PM
Bullet: 130 gr Speer
Starting load: 21.7 gr
Max load: 25.8
Velocity: 2024

Bullet: 105 gr Lapua
Starting load: 22.8 gr
Max load: 26.8
Velocity: 2271

I'll send more load data if you want

Thank you for the info , yes any additional load data you could send would be appreciated ,I sent you my email .
Thanks again