PDA

View Full Version : Had my Second Firearms Lesson with a GIM'er instructor

gunDriller
9th October 2010, 09:12 AM
once again, we went out in a state forest and this time we shot -

.44 Magnum

12 Gauge shotgun with buckshot & single-bullet shotgun shells

.45 ACP

the .44 Magnum - Oh My God ! i didn't really enjoy shooting it. it's impressive & it makes you appreciate the ear protection. but it was hard for me to control, even with 2 hands.

12 Gauge - last year my friend told me how loud the shotgun was because he knew i have good hearing. but i shot a .308 rifle that was louder and i liked that. so i decided to have a go with the 12 gauge. i like the pump action.

.45 ACP - i still like it.

overall, i think i'm a candidate for a smaller gun, maybe a 9 mm.

so far, we've just been shooting the remains of other people's shooting sessions (a computer workstation, and a shot-up plastic toy). but the bullet goes right through, you can't tell if you hit the target or not.

anyway, slowly but surely i'm becoming comfortable with these machines.

when i was handling the .44 Magnum revolver i couldn't help but admire the machining. BEAUTIFUL work.

Awoke
9th October 2010, 01:10 PM
once again, we went out in a state forest and this time we shot -

.44 Magnum

12 Gauge shotgun with buckshot & single-bullet shotgun shells

.45 ACP

the .44 Magnum - Oh My God ! i didn't really enjoy shooting it. it's impressive & it makes you appreciate the ear protection. but it was hard for me to control, even with 2 hands.

12 Gauge - last year my friend told me how loud the shotgun was because he knew i have good hearing. but i shot a .308 rifle that was louder and i liked that. so i decided to have a go with the 12 gauge. i like the pump action.

.45 ACP - i still like it.

overall, i think i'm a candidate for a smaller gun, maybe a 9 mm.

so far, we've just been shooting the remains of other people's shooting sessions (a computer workstation, and a shot-up plastic toy). but the bullet goes right through, you can't tell if you hit the target or not.

anyway, slowly but surely i'm becoming comfortable with these machines.

when i was handling the .44 Magnum revolver i couldn't help but admire the machining. BEAUTIFUL work.

Before making a purchase, I would suggest trying a semi auto in .40 cal.
The 9mm is snappier, flying out at 1300 fps, where the .40 doesn't snap as much, and leave teh muzzle at about 900 fps.

Just MHO.

gunDriller
9th October 2010, 06:38 PM
thanks for the info !

this looks solid -
http://guns4u.info/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/164272_large.jpg

and this interesting gun came up when i did the search -
http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/photos/weapons_firearms/coltsurvivorprototype.jpg

Awoke
10th October 2010, 07:33 AM
Obviously revolvers kick a hell of a lot more than Semi-autos....

gunDriller
10th October 2010, 07:48 AM

i didn't know that.

why do revolvers kick more ?

Dogman
10th October 2010, 07:58 AM
Part of the recoil in a semi is used to jack the slide back and eject and load a new round with some bleed off of gas and with a revolver there is none. All the recoil with a revolver is transmitted to the hands and arms.
At least this is how I understand it.

CrufflerJJ
10th October 2010, 02:27 PM
The 9mm is snappier, flying out at 1300 fps, where the .40 doesn't snap as much, and leave teh muzzle at about 900 fps.

Just MHO.

I dunno 'bout that. I find my Glock 23 to be a lot "snappier" than a Glock 19. My wife hates the Glock 23, but loves my Browning High Power (9mm).

Black Blade
10th October 2010, 04:18 PM
I used to own a "Dirty harry" S&W 629 but sold it years ago. I still have a S&W 357 but have been thinking about acquiring another S&W 44 Magnum and even a Colt Python for my collection. I still have the obligatory Ruger Redhawks and Blackhawks tho. There was a time that I was solely into revolvers but acquired a taste for semi-autos over the years. I may just have to dig out the revolvers again one of these days.

Awoke
12th October 2010, 01:49 PM

i didn't know that.

why do revolvers kick more ?

Part of the recoil in a semi is used to jack the slide back and eject and load a new round with some bleed off of gas and with a revolver there is none. All the recoil with a revolver is transmitted to the hands and arms.
At least this is how I understand it.

That's right. And if the slide is heavier, it will absorb more of the kick.

Revolvers transfer all the recoil directly into the hand. I prefer semi autos as a new shooter. Also, I figure that the Magpul Dynamics guys don't use revolvers for a reason. I do want a Taurus Judge at some point on time though. Just for kicks.

(Pardon the pun)

Just MHO.

I dunno 'bout that. I find my Glock 23 to be a lot "snappier" than a Glock 19. My wife hates the Glock 23, but loves my Browning High Power (9mm).

I don't have all the Glocks memorized off hand, but does the 19 have a longer slide and more weight than the 23? Just wondering. I'm no expert, I'm just regurgitating that the guys at my gun club told me to be honest.

BlackBlade probably has multiple pistols that are identical in size and manufacturer, but different calibers.
So feel free to share if you can, BlackBlade. I'd be curious to hear if you have a couple identical 1911's that are made by the same company, and weigh the same, etc. (Regarding if a 9mm kicks more than a .40 due to velocity)

I do know that kick is subjective too. A lot of people just don't agree. I'll get mine out on the range and compare the kick, 9 VS 40, when I have a chance. The only problem is that they are not identical, however they are close.
Both Polymere bodies, but the 40 has a much heavier slide than the 9.

CrufflerJJ
15th October 2010, 02:35 AM
I don't have all the Glocks memorized off hand, but does the 19 have a longer slide and more weight than the 23? Just wondering. I'm no expert, I'm just regurgitating that the guys at my gun club told me to be honest.

-snip-

I do know that kick is subjective too. A lot of people just don't agree. I'll get mine out on the range and compare the kick, 9 VS 40, when I have a chance. The only problem is that they are not identical, however they are close.
Both Polymere bodies, but the 40 has a much heavier slide than the 9.

The Glock 19 and 23 are basically the same pistol. They're both the compact version of the full-sized 17 & 22. 19 is 9mm, 23 is .40 S&W.

Recoil is definitely subjective, but also depends on weapon weight, function (blowback vs locked breech...), ammo, bullet velocity, style of grips/scales, and probably a few more factors. I was surprised when my wife hated a .380 Makarov, but loved my Browning High Power in 9mm. The .380, while a "weaker" round (theoretically less recoil), was in a blowback weapon. The BHP uses a locked breech.

undgrd
15th October 2010, 04:27 AM
Barrel length and slide rail length play a large part as well. A full length slide rail will direct the slide straight back and remove any slop. The result is very noticeable when compared to a pistol without a full length.

The Barrel length also has a large impact. A longer barrel will generate higher pressure which will be felt in the recoil. The recoil from a Sig P239 in 9mm is MUCH smoother than a XDM in 9mm because of the barrel length. 3.6'' in the sig VS 4.5'' in the XDM.

Awoke
30th January 2011, 06:37 PM

Just MHO.

You're right. The .40 cal kicks more than the 9mm. I have spent a bunch of time now with both, and realize what I was told is not accurate.
(I was told that 9mm kicks more because it is a faster velocity projectile than the .40, which is not true))

Book
30th January 2011, 06:49 PM

Just MHO.

I agree. My Glock G19 is perfect but a .40 makes me flinch.

Libertarian_Guard
31st January 2011, 06:11 PM
Get one of these, you won't be disappointed-
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=214270169#PIC

What the hell is that?

It looks like someone made off with the most important part of the other three pistols. Either that, or someone sold you a bunch of extra parts. But if you've got room for lots of useless toys, great.