PDA

View Full Version : 1st Woodstove Fire of the New Heating Season

skid
14th October 2010, 09:40 PM
Although we haven't had a frost yet, it's getting fairly cool at night here now with lows around 5-6 celsius (approx. 40F). Since my boiler is kicking in occasionally now, I thought I would save some propane and get the wood stove going. I have some nice hardwood birch in the basement and it is nice and dry. I can already feel the heat upstairs already...

For those people that have difficulty reversing the cold air draft down the chimney when the stove is cold, and fill their house with smoke when trying to start the first fire, I have a good tip. Get a 20 pound bottle of propane, and what we call locally here a "tiger torch", and blast the flame directly in the firebox to heat it up. Once the stove and chimney are warm and hot respectively, add wood and use the torch to light the wood. No fussing around and gauranteed to work. You don't even have to fuss around with paper tinder or kindling....

bellevuebully
14th October 2010, 11:21 PM
Although we haven't had a frost yet, it's getting fairly cool at night here now with lows around 5-6 celsius (approx. 40F). Since my boiler is kicking in occasionally now, I thought I would save some propane and get the wood stove going. I have some nice hardwood birch in the basement and it is nice and dry. I can already feel the heat upstairs already...

For those people that have difficulty reversing the cold air draft down the chimney when the stove is cold, and fill their house with smoke when trying to start the first fire, I have a good tip. Get a 20 pound bottle of propane, and what we call locally here a "tiger torch", and blast the flame directly in the firebox to heat it up. Once the stove and chimney are warm and hot respectively, add wood and use the torch to light the wood. No fussing around and gauranteed to work. You don't even have to fuss around with paper tinder or kindling....

Had a few on myself. What a great heat. It is so nice coming into a woodstove heated building after being in cold or damp weather.

I have an Napoleon 1400 airtight that is a total bitch to start without smoking out the house for exactly the reason you menttion. I have a small propane bottle that I use to start the draft, it helps, but it just doesn't have enough uumph. Tiger torch is definitely the way to go.

mightymanx
15th October 2010, 12:35 AM
I have been burning since late August it got to 39 over night so time to fire it up.

I use a 80's no frills wood stove plain, simple, effective and holds an arm load of wood.

I still need to build a heat excanger tank to be able to use wood heat to power my radiant heat system in the house vice my furnace, but I have been busy with other things like cutting splitting and stacking 5 cords of wood and building my new mega wood shed (holds almost 4 cords.)

I have even made some stew on the stove already using the dutch oven as a cast iron pot.

Libertarian_Guard
15th October 2010, 07:05 AM
The tiger torch is a great idea. Thanks.

Now my only question is this. Why didn't I think of that?

seaurchin1
15th October 2010, 07:46 AM
We have had a few so far, just in the evenings. Got about four cords tucked away - a combination of fir and arbutus, which produces a lot of heat, but it's a bugger to split. Wood heat is the best kind of heat, and we always look forward to heating season. ;D

bellevuebully
15th October 2010, 10:36 AM
Call it a feeling, but I think most people (at least the lucky ones) will learn the pleasure of wood-fired heat before too long.

zap
15th October 2010, 10:50 AM
Call it a feeling, but I think most people (at least the lucky ones) will learn the pleasure of wood-fired heat before too long.

Yes its really good, if you have a man to haul in the wood. :D

When I haul it in it feels like it is cutting thru my forearms, ouch or there are bugs on it, ick :CS

MNeagle
15th October 2010, 11:22 AM
Zap, you just need one of these: http://www.terralunasol.net/wood_carrier.jpg

AOW
15th October 2010, 12:01 PM
I feel like a dumbass because I've owned 10 acres of forested land for the last 18 years and only this past summer did I buy a cheap, used insert and stack a few cords from downed trees up there. Better late than never I guess, and I'm sure loving the wood heat these days. :D

ArgenteumTelum
15th October 2010, 05:02 PM
We have been running a Vermont Castings Defiant Encore for 18 years now and I can't say a bad thing about this particular model. It helps that our place is well insulated but certainly not air-tight, which isn't so healthful. The first fire of a season always brings a good feeling, especially when one sees that nice glowing bed of coals in the dark. Of course, to me it's mandatory that I appreciate the beauty of each season.

skid
15th October 2010, 06:53 PM
We have been running a Vermont Castings Defiant Encore for 18 years now and I can't say a bad thing about this particular model. It helps that our place is well insulated but certainly not air-tight, which isn't so healthful. The first fire of a season always brings a good feeling, especially when one sees that nice glowing bed of coals in the dark. Of course, to me it's mandatory that I appreciate the beauty of each season.

I had a Vermont Castings defiance stove in my last house. Some people don't like 'em but I had no problems, and they certainly are a beautiful stove. I especially liked the ash tray feature where you can empty the ashes on the fly. I also had the optional side wings for warming stuff up.

skid
15th October 2010, 06:56 PM
I have been burning since late August it got to 39 over night so time to fire it up.

I use a 80's no frills wood stove plain, simple, effective and holds an arm load of wood.

I still need to build a heat excanger tank to be able to use wood heat to power my radiant heat system in the house vice my furnace, but I have been busy with other things like cutting splitting and stacking 5 cords of wood and building my new mega wood shed (holds almost 4 cords.)

I have even made some stew on the stove already using the dutch oven as a cast iron pot.

I built a new wood shed this year too. It will hold over 12 cords, and I have storage space above it as well. I even poured a concrete slab for it. Mine's half full right now but I have lots of wood left to split. I just always seem to run out of time..

hoarder
15th October 2010, 08:22 PM
I still need to build a heat excanger tank to be able to use wood heat to power my radiant heat system .
http://thermacoil.com/plumbing.htm
http://www.woodheat.org/dhw/dhw.htm

mightymanx
15th October 2010, 09:55 PM

I built a new wood shed this year too. It will hold over 12 cords, and I have storage space above it as well. I even poured a concrete slab for it. Mine's half full right now but I have lots of wood left to split. I just always seem to run out of time..

Wow a 12 cord shed I have some serious envy. I wish I had the space one of the many reasons I am looking for 100 acres in north Idaho vice living in the semi-urban Puget sound area