PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about adding some 1/10 oz GAE's (for possible SHTF trading)

ximmy
20th October 2010, 06:50 PM
If the price of an oz reaches 3000, it might be a good idea to have some for barter trade situations... I was thinking of adding about 20 of them to the stack... any thoughts? It's possible $150-$300 trade value might come in handy... who knows...
ximy

1970 silver art
20th October 2010, 06:57 PM
1/10 GAEs sound like a good idea for purchases that are big enough to where you do not want to carry around a lot of silver to buy it. Better to get 10 of the 1/10 oz GAEs as opposed to 1-oz GAE if you have to use them for SHTF bartering purposes. I think overall, that 1-oz silver (and junk silver) would be the best SHTF bartering method to get goods and services like food and other necessities. Just my opinion.

SLV^GLD
20th October 2010, 07:04 PM
I don't see the point in anything larger than 1/4ozt.
1/10s are awesome.

mightymanx
20th October 2010, 07:09 PM
That is what I did:

I personaly think that Junk silver wil be nearly worthless to the general population because 99.99% of the population has no freaking idea about 90% silver coinage.

Imagine you are in the Superdome durring Katrina with the lights out and screams and moans in the background and you are trying to ask Shanequia to swap your "dime" for a bottle of water.

But it's 90% silver it is not just a dime. (Hell 99% of the Population can"t even name who is on the dime.)

Your response is going to be something like this:

"Get the F@#$K out of my face Cracker before I bust you in your fool mouth"

Things stamped in pland language One Troy Ounce .99999 pure GOLD/Silver get the point across even if they don't know anything about bullion or coinage.

I think it is a great complement to a SHTF stash and have XXXXXXX amount in my Bugout Bagand a 1/10 GAE will be much easier to use than a pile of silver when you need to get lots of Hookers and Blow during SHTF ;D

ximmy
20th October 2010, 07:11 PM
Like you guys said... it might be easier on an transaction to say, or if you prefer, I have gold... ;)

StackerKen
20th October 2010, 07:17 PM
yepper :)

ximmy
20th October 2010, 07:18 PM
That is what I did:

I personaly think that Junk silver wil be nearly worthless to the general population because 99.99% of the population has no freaking idea about 90% silver coinage.

Imagine you are in the Superdome durring Katrina with the lights out and screams and moans in the background and you are trying to ask Shanequia to swap your "dime" for a bottle of water.

But it's 90% silver it is not just a dime. (Hell 99% of the Population can"t even name who is on the dime.)

Things stamped in pland language One Troy Ounce .99999 pure GOLD/Silver get the point across even if they don't know anything about bullion or coinage.

I think it is a great complement to a SHTF stash and have XXXXXXX amount in my Bugout Bagand a 1/10 GAE will be much easier to use than a pile of silver when you need to get lots of Hookers and Blow during SHTF ;D

you know, another thing regarding that.. this is why I have only been buying SAE's over the last year... (even with higher premiums) there is something to be said for coin integrity in a SHTF situation... imo...

Sparky
20th October 2010, 07:21 PM
Paying the hefty fractional premium for twenty of them seems like too many.

I could see buying a few to have on hand. Then, add to that only as opportunities come along to purchase them without the fractional premium. Otherwise, lay off. I'm not a big fan of the tenths, but I can understand the rationale to have some.

Sparky
20th October 2010, 07:41 PM
There's reasons for owning each type of PM, so I don't think you can go wrong by purchasing across the whole spectrum in order to cover all the bases. There are strengths and weaknesses with each, and various future unknown scenarios will ultimately determine which are the most important considerations.

STRENGTHS
1-ounce GAE: Lowest premium for government-certified gold, high portability.
Fractional GAE: Allows for smaller exchanges; government-certified; portable.
1-ounce SAE: Government certified; collectibility demand
Rounds/Bars: Labeled weight and fineness; reasonable spread; allows for smaller exchanges
90% silver: Government certified PM; lowest price spread

WEAKNESSES
1-ounce GAE: Not good for small monetary exchanges.
Fractional GAE: High premium
1-ounce SAE: High premium
Rounds/Bars: No government certification or recognition
90% silver: Highest bulk (least portable); weight and purity not identified

ximmy
20th October 2010, 08:02 PM
Good info Sparky... goodness your right... premiums are high on these... currently $1,546.60 for 10 1/10 oz's... spot at $1343... yeesh!

Gotta have em though... :D

StackerKen
20th October 2010, 08:06 PM
Ximmy. Go for it...spot gold will be 1500 something before long anyhow.

willie pete
20th October 2010, 08:17 PM
That is what I did:

I think in a situation like the one you describe^^^^, you're going to end up being robbed and there's a very high risk that you might not come out of it alive

milehi
20th October 2010, 09:30 PM
1 gram bars are selling for what 1/10 rounds once sold for. Food for thought.

gunDriller
21st October 2010, 06:02 AM
If the price of an oz reaches 3000, it might be a good idea to have some for barter trade situations... I was thinking of adding about 20 of them to the stack... any thoughts? It's possible $150-$300 trade value might come in handy... who knows...
ximy

funny you should mention it.

i bought my first 1/10 ounce frac yesterday Wednesday !

paid $145 for a Maple.

http://www.apmex.com/Resources/Catalog%20Images/Products/12_Obv.jpg

now i need a magnifying glass ! ;D

gunDriller
21st October 2010, 01:48 PM
plus a pic of an Eagle

http://www.apmex.com/Resources/Catalog%20Images/Products/58141_Rev.jpg

and a Krug

http://www.apmex.com/Resources/Catalog%20Images/Products/57285_Obv.jpg

plus the half-Sovereign is a good choice in the .10 ounce range (0.1177 ounces) - since it's widely recognized and sometimes cheap -

http://www.providentmetals.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/265x265/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/b/b/bbfg-00083-rev.jpg

they sure are pretty !

BarneyFag
21st October 2010, 07:02 PM
The Kruggerand has the lowest premium on Bullion Direct, any reason not to buy a few of these?

gunDriller
23rd October 2010, 04:49 AM
A couple other bones to chew on:

As the price of gold goes higher fewer people will be able to afford a whole ounce and will gladly pay a high premium to get some.

agree/ disagree - i don't know in a SHTF situation if many people will be able to pay a high premium. but yes, a whole ounce will appear pricey.

> As new tax reporting legislation takes effect you can sell and not have to be reported.

i hope Lungren and his colleagues succeed in repealing that part of Obamanation.

i think the main thing when acquiring fracs is to not "pay retail". e.g. right now they tend to go for $155 to $160 on-line. that's $22 to $27 above spot. Jeez.

at first i didn't like the 1/10 ouncers - so hard to see - but that's my own vision problem. now that i own one ... i like them more. wierd huh.

Neuro
23rd October 2010, 07:07 AM
That is what I did:

If you ended up in Superdome during Katrina, or any other FEMA center in similar circumstances, you have already failed in an epic way... If you manage to get in touch with a guard who has at least a glimmer of intelligence and Compassion in his eyes, and that you can speak too, you may be lucky in bribing him with a half or full ounce gold coin, for helping you out...

BarneyFag
25th October 2010, 10:35 PM
I live near major shipping harbors, if i'm going to bribe someone to get my family on a boat out of here, the 1oz will be just fine. But I do plan on stocking up on 1/10th. When I hear of stories from Zimbagwee or Argentine, not any mention of Silver. I've been debating on trading it for Gold at some point.

Book
25th October 2010, 11:07 PM
...if i'm going to bribe someone to get my family on a boat out of here...

http://www.lexingtonmichigan.org/Freighter_SheldonDock.jpg

That just seems so over-the-top a scenario for 2010 in America. You been watching the Turner Classic Movies channel on cable teevee? That "bribed" crew would rob you then throw your family overboard in 2010. They would already know you are carrying (more) gold coins. Human Trafficking is a huge industry in 2010. Maybe re-test Reality...

|--0--|

JohnQPublic
26th October 2010, 06:48 PM
I like 1/10 eagles (and krugs/maple.phils), but also consider 2, 2.5, 5, and 10 peso gold coins. They typically have lower premiums, and are recognized (perhaps less). The problem is they aren't stamped with purity and weight.

mike88
27th October 2010, 08:31 AM
National Geographic magazine has a 1/10 gae offer in the oct issue. details are on the gim2 site in the purchasing precious metals forum. not as juicy as the last one i got. dyodd. they sure are a beautiful coin.

Korbin Dallas
27th October 2010, 09:49 AM
I like a variety of 1/10's, GAE's, krugs,Sovs, etc.. I found a good, reputable dealer here in SoCal with low premiums. The only problem is they always seem to get misplaced on the boatride home. :00-->