PDA

View Full Version : Silver Bars

loky
20th October 2010, 11:59 PM
Just though i asked cause I'm a novice when comes to buying gold / silver. Whats the best way to buy silver and gold Coin / bars.
Just to let you know i live in Australia. So any help would be great :conf:

Serpo
21st October 2010, 12:05 AM
https://www.ainsliebullion.com.au/

Thats easy,these people are in Brisbane and I like them more then any other bullion dealers in OZ.They can post you bullion thru the mail.Check out their daily price updates

Depending on what you are buying the guy here will tell you silver/gold bars are the best investment.......the bigger the better ;D

They have gold in various sizes down to really small amounts but silver must be the go at these prices

loky
21st October 2010, 12:29 AM
my question is if silver is $23.71 (American dollars) a ounce thats $24.20(Australian Dollars) why is 1 ounce $34.00 does it really cost $10 to make ? ???

gunDriller
21st October 2010, 05:52 AM
my question is if silver is $23.71 (American dollars) a ounce thats $24.20(Australian Dollars) why is 1 ounce $34.00 does it really cost $10 to make ? ???

no that $10 is more like profit.

the cost to make bars & coins is sometimes called "seignorage". i actually don't know what the cost is to make a one ounce silver round. the Sunshine silver rounds (which are considered generic) sell for $1 or $2 (US$) less than a Silver Eagle, but they both have an ounce of silver and both require precision steel dies to make them.

a big part of getting a decent spread (buy-sell spread, which might be $3 in Australia ?) is being in the right place at the right time, and getting to know the dealers in Australia.

not to send you away from here, but "does anybody know a dealer in X place" type threads sometimes do OK at kitco, i.e. you'll probably find out some more good stores.

in the US some dealers do the same thing, i.e. charge outrageous mark-ups - mainly because people will pay them.

Twisted Titan
21st October 2010, 07:14 AM
Dose Australia have a VAT tax yet??

T

Ponce
21st October 2010, 09:24 AM
Anything above the "spot" price is profit and greed..........if you are getting ready for WTSHTF then buy one oz rounds because they will be easier to trade with than the ten oz bars.........don't go for fancy named rounds but just plain rounds.