PDA

View Full Version : questions on flour

vacuum
22nd October 2010, 08:12 PM
My local grocery outlet has some 10 lb bags of Gold all purpose flour at 2 for $4.99. So its $5 for 20 lbs of all purpose flour. The expiration date is June 2011.

1) Is this a good deal?

2) If I were to buy a bunch, how long after the expiration date is it still good?

thanks

Heimdhal
22nd October 2010, 09:32 PM
Price isnt too bad for AP retail. If you go to a costco or sam's or BJ's you can find it a litte cheaper.

Stoarge wise, best way is either vac packed in your freezer, but unless you have an extra deep freezer, be prepared to lose a LOT of freezer space quickly or in mylar bags in buckets with 02 packs like Imma suggested.

Thats the way I do it, since I Dont have ready access to wheat berries or a grinder. But, commercialy ground flour just doesnt store very well. Ive had some go "funky" after a little over a year. And by funky, it got a slight odor to it, but that doesnt mean its inedible. And as long as the "odor" isnt so bad you can even stand to be around the stuff, it wont effect the flavor.

Wheat berries and home grinding is the best way to go, on the health, taste and storagability fronts. I'd say get the flour, and at least you have 20lbs laying around for whatever you need and work on alternatives from there. Something is better than nothing.