PDA

View Full Version : Quake felt in NW Wyoming; AP reports landslide

MNeagle
24th October 2010, 02:05 PM
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/us2010cua6.php

I can't find an AP link to the landslide story yet...

DMac
24th October 2010, 03:18 PM
Earthquake hits Wyoming; landslide reported (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2013246935_apusearthquakewyoming.html?syndication= rss)

snip

A magnitude 4.6 earthquake has hit northwest Wyoming, apparently triggering a landslide on a hiking trail, but no injuries have been reported.

The Associated Press

Related
JACKSON, Wyo. —

A magnitude 4.6 earthquake has hit northwest Wyoming, apparently triggering a landslide on a hiking trail, but no injuries have been reported.

The U.S. Geological Survey says the quake hit at about 11:45 a.m. Sunday.

zap
24th October 2010, 03:21 PM
Thats wierd do they even have earthquakes there? Wyoming?

StackerKen
24th October 2010, 03:25 PM
good Question Zap...I was wondering the same thing.

I guess they do now :-\

Dogman
24th October 2010, 03:37 PM

Think Yellowstone...Huge volcano..

shakinginmyshoes
24th October 2010, 05:37 PM

Yeah, dude,
Yellowstone is actually a Supervolcano. It erupts (spewing ash and rocks all the way to New York and burying everything within 500 miles in dozens of feet of ash) every 600,000 years on average. Oh, and we're 40,000 years overdue.

Smile.

But most of the 'quakes are like mag 3, so you don't notice 'em. Once in a while we get one that you can feel in Central WY where I live. Story: Years ago when I was a student in the radiology dept., we were setting up for an angiogram. Ol' timey MORE

shakinginmyshoes
24th October 2010, 05:44 PM
technology required a cath to be run up the leg artery into the heart, then an automatic injector would send in the iodine, the computer would control the x-ray tube exposures, while a machine rapidly changed the films, capturing images of the aorta. When you press the button, it all has to go perfectly sync'ed in order to get a good, diagnostic study.
Since these aortic arteriograms were quite risky, we didn't particularly like repeating them. (understatement)

Common procedure, but earthquakes in WY, unlike CA, are NOT a routine occurance.

So there we were, patient doped up on some gooooood Valium, catheter in place, injector ready, film changer ready, Radiologist said "go"-- and just as I was about to hit the start button, the place starts rocking and rolling.

Patient's like, woah, is this the way it's supposed to be done????

Fortunately I aborted my thumb-press reflex, deferring the start til the shaking stopped, or the entire study would be a motiongram and completely useless.

Book
24th October 2010, 05:46 PM
It erupts (spewing ash and rocks all the way to New York and burying everything within 500 miles in dozens of feet of ash) every 600,000 years on average.

I'm expecting Hoarder to suddenly land here in Boise for a visit about 30-seconds after Yellowstone erupts. I'm keeping an extra ash shovel handy...lol.

|--0--|

shakinginmyshoes
24th October 2010, 05:51 PM
I'm expecting Hoarder to suddenly land here in Boise for a visit about 30-seconds after Yellowstone erupts. I'm keeping an extra ash shovel handy...lol.

Heh.

A bit of ol' Jimmy Buffet would be appropriate:
lol.

I don't know
I don't know
I don't know where I'm a gonna go
When the volcano blow

Ground she's movin' under me
Got ya tidal waves out on the sea
Sulphur smoke up in the sky
Pretty soon we learn to fly

Chorus:
Hey I don't know
I don't know
I don't know where I'm a gonna go
When the volcano blow

platinumdude
24th October 2010, 06:40 PM
I'll get the marshmallows ready just in case.

hoarder
24th October 2010, 06:47 PM
If it gets bad enough to leave, I won't be able to get out. I'm 250 miles away, you're 400. Any word from JDRock?

JDRock
25th October 2010, 06:27 AM
If it gets bad enough to leave, I won't be able to get out. I'm 250 miles away, you're 400. Any word from JDRock?

fine here, thanx....it was centered in the crystal creek area of the gros-venture wilderness area.
its where the last few small ones were...5 klicks underground.....i didnt feel a thing. If yellowstone was to blow, it would be prefferable being vaporized,than dying a slow choking starving death from the ash cloud.

Book
25th October 2010, 08:02 AM
I won't be able to get out.

http://www.eaa.org/photos/1001/gallery/Balloons_-_Blimps_-_Airships/HotAirBalloon_1.jpg

You can swing by and pick up JD.

:D

JDRock
25th October 2010, 12:21 PM
hahaaa how much silver and lead can that carry??? ill be watchin for you hoarder.