PDA

View Full Version : Global food crisis forecast as prices reach record highs.

Ponce
26th October 2010, 10:04 AM
Global food crisis forecast as prices reach record highs.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Cost of meat, sugar, rice, wheat and maize soars as World Bank predicts five years of price volatility

Rising food prices and shortages could cause instability in many countries as the cost of staple foods and vegetables reached their highest levels in two years, with scientists predicting further widespread droughts and floods.

Although food stocks are generally good despite much of this year's harvests being wiped out in Pakistan and Russia, sugar and rice remain at a record price.

Global wheat and maize prices recently jumped nearly 30% in a few weeks while meat prices are at 20-year highs, according to the key Reuters-Jefferies commodity price indicator. Last week, the US predicted that global wheat harvests would be 30m tonnes lower than last year, a 5.5% fall. Meanwhile, the price of tomatoes in Egypt, garlic in China and bread in Pakistan are at near-record levels.

"The situation has deteriorated since September," said Abdolreza Abbassian of the UN food and agriculture organisation. "In the last few weeks there have been signs we are heading the same way as in 2008.

"We may not get to the prices of 2008 but this time they could stay high much longer."

However, opinions are sharply divided over whether these prices signal a world food crisis like the one in 2008 that helped cause riots in 25 countries, or simply reflect volatility in global commodity markets as countries claw their way through recession.

"A food crisis on the scale of two or three years ago is not imminent, but the underlying causes [of what happened then] are still there," said Chris Leather, Oxfam's food policy adviser.

"Prices are volatile and there is a lot of nervousness in the market. There are big differences between now and 2008. Harvests are generally better, global food stocks are better."

Read Full

mick silver
26th October 2010, 12:12 PM
alot of fresh vegs were alot higher this year in price . some of the farmers around here have had the worst crops in many years ...

madfranks
26th October 2010, 12:27 PM
Yeah, that whole 1.6% inflation rate for 2010 is such a ridiculous joke I don't know how anyone can buy it.

Sparky
26th October 2010, 12:28 PM
And yet some stuff remains remarkably cheap. I can still get pasta at $1 per pound. When you think of it, food in general remains remarkably cheap in the U.S. considering the land, irrigation, equipment, labor, processing, transportation, refrigeration, and storage costs associated with it.

Get it while you can, preppers. Food is the trump card of the commodities. I think of how apt the term "food bank" is when I look at a stash of long shelf-life food.

Awoke
26th October 2010, 12:28 PM
Have you GSus'ers started learnign how to garden, fish and hunt yet?

It's not too late to learn yet, but we're getting closer.

Ponce
26th October 2010, 01:10 PM
Awoke? 1,000 people will be going after the same deer of fish.....better to stand aside and just buy it from them with silver.........and gardening? hummmmmmmmm, I do have 175 packs of seed and I will go 50/50 with who ever makes a garden in my property, plenty of water.

Now then.........food will not grow UNLESS YOU HAVE WATER and that's trouble that I foresee in the future, the best thing that you can do is to count only on food at hand, for at least five years, and anything else as a bonus.

Awoke
26th October 2010, 03:06 PM
The people will be hunting in the easy areas. I will be in the shitty areas where only the deer, moose and bears are.

MNeagle
26th October 2010, 05:22 PM
Ever since my husband got me interested in reading GIM, it's always been a "global food crisis". And the worst is always 6 months out.

Now here we are, years later at GS-US with the same fears.

The good news, it finally convinced my husband to expand our prep pantry!

FreeEnergy
26th October 2010, 07:29 PM
This seems to be a good explanation:

Inside the illusory empire of the banking commodity con game

Again, if we look at the sources of food supply numbers, we uncover some answers. Industry trade organizations release the overwhelming number of estimates that warn of short or waning food supplies. And with all other commodities we’ve discussed in this article, if these supply estimates are untruthful, the industry and bankers are the parties that benefit from these numbers the most. I am not saying unequivocally that numbers regarding the world’s food supplies are lies, but I am saying that we need to consider this possibility. Many of the numbers that move the prices of the world’s agricultural commodities are based upon estimates of future yields, that when realized, reveal the estimates to be wildly incorrect. Furthermore, not only do bankers profit tremendously from volatile price swings in the world’s leading crops through participation in agricultural futures markets, but bankers also tremendously benefit in a secondary manner that is hidden from the public. If the public believes that soaring food prices are simply due to bad weather, bad yields and alternate uses of food (i.e. corn produced for ethanol), by drawing attention TO these factors as the major cause of rising food prices, bankers successfully draw attention AWAY from what I believe is, and will continue to be, the largest component of higher food prices by an overwhelming margin- the Central Banking monetary policies of devaluing global currencies.

http://www.theundergroundinvestor.com/2010/10/inside-the-illusory... (http://www.theundergroundinvestor.com/2010/10/inside-the-illusory-empire-of-the-banking-commodity-con-game/)