PDA

View Full Version : Halloween candy cache

SHTF2010
26th October 2010, 11:32 AM
come monday
i'm getting some of those bulk boxes of halloween candy when they go on sale @ 50% off

with the cold weather coming, i'm hoping this candy will keep till March ?

i'm willing to risk $50 for a possible " luxury " after TSHTF

thinking about using 1-2 gal pails

would i need oxygen absorber packets and/or moisture absorber for chocolate/candy ?

ximmy
26th October 2010, 11:37 AM
LOL... :D |--0--|

Dogman
26th October 2010, 11:42 AM
http://candy.about.com/od/workingwithchocolate/a/storechocolate.htm

Ideally, chocolate should be stored in a slightly cool, dry, dark place. The perfect environment would be 60-70 degrees Fahrenheit, have low humidity (less than 50 percent), be out of direct sunlight, and away from any other foods or substances with strong odors that could be absorbed by the chocolate. Frequent exposure to high temperatures can cause the cocoa butter in chocolate to rise to the surface, creating “bloom,” an unpleasant cloudy gray color. This is a superficial flaw that can be corrected by melting and properly tempering the chocolate. However, in addition to bloom, white chocolate can go rancid when exposed to strong light, which will greatly affect the flavor and quality of the chocolate.

If you live in an extremely warm area and do not have air conditioning, you may need to keep your chocolate in the refrigerator or freezer to prevent it from melting. To freeze the chocolate, place it in an airtight container, and do not remove it from its container until it has been brought up to room temperature, to prevent condensation from forming on the chocolate. These water droplets will prevent the chocolate from melting smoothly and might affect the texture of the melted chocolate.

BabushkaLady
29th October 2010, 02:07 PM
would i need oxygen absorber packets and/or moisture absorber for chocolate/candy ? [/B]

Neither!!! I can tell you with 100% honesty that sale candy, be it Easter, Christmas, Halloween, Valentine's Day or Whatever . . . . Never makes it to TSHTF . . . My candy stash has been EMPTY for months. ;D

seaurchin1
29th October 2010, 03:17 PM
Yay for day after 50% off halloween candy sales. :D I love the tiny chocolate bars and tiny bags of candy,
then I can convince myself I'm not eating as much. And if TSHTF doesn't soon after, my candy preps will be empty (again). :'(

ximmy
29th October 2010, 03:23 PM
I like mini milkyway, almond joy, kit-kat, reeses... ::)

1970 silver art
29th October 2010, 03:34 PM
The only candy that I like to eat are these:

Sparky
29th October 2010, 04:23 PM

But they don't always work!

Sparky
29th October 2010, 04:23 PM
would i need oxygen absorber packets and/or moisture absorber for chocolate/candy ? [/B]

Neither!!! I can tell you with 100% honesty that sale candy, be it Easter, Christmas, Halloween, Valentine's Day or Whatever . . . . Never makes it to TSHTF . . . My candy stash has been EMPTY for months. ;D

Sad, but true.

1970 silver art
29th October 2010, 04:40 PM

But they don't always work!

I do not like any other candy. That might be true that they don't always work but smarties is the only candy that I like to eat. With that said, I do not buy it often because when I go grocery shopping at Walmart, I just concentrate on buying my usual groceries (box pasta, beans, whole wheat bread, orange juice, etc). If I have any FRN's left over and smarties is on my mind, then I will buy some smarties since Walmart has them for a decent price.

Canadian-guerilla
1st November 2011, 07:37 AM
it's that time again
gonna try 3 more caches

1 hard candy
1 peanut butter cups
1 regular chocolate bars

SLV^GLD
1st November 2011, 08:22 AM
Peanut M&M's, Kit-Kat and Reeses Cups.

The "rotten toothed TP artists" can have the rest.

Anything that sticks in your teeth need not cross my threshold.

madfranks
1st November 2011, 11:51 AM
it's that time again
gonna try 3 more caches

1 hard candy
1 peanut butter cups
1 regular chocolate bars

So what happened last year? Did you eat it all or throw it out and count it as a lost $50 bet?

ximmy
1st November 2011, 11:59 AM
So what happened last year? Did you eat it all or throw it out and count it as a lost $50 bet?

maybe he gave it to the chil-dens

Canadian-guerilla
1st November 2011, 03:23 PM

as far as i know, last years caches are still in the ground
i walked the area 2 months ago and saw no signs of disturbance
i'm a little bit curious about the Reeses peanut butter cups cache ( rancid ? )

gunDriller
4th November 2011, 07:39 AM
looks like Reese's might be the most popular ?

normally i don't candy - BUT especially in a post collapse situation, where your energy exertion goes way up (e.g. having to walk because you can't get gas) ... well, at least me personally, if i go to bed hungry i can't sleep.

plus with sugar going UP in price, yeah that half-price Halloween candy might be a good prep item.

but don't forget to floss & brush your teeth ! for me, sugar is like molecular acid on my teeth - i have to floss & brush every time i have something sweet.

and there's always - the Easter Bunny -
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ff2xONxhgTI/TgetJeEi7uI/AAAAAAAABBM/Gtx8dqNEWik/s1600/Homemade+Cadbury+Chocolate+Easter+Bunnies+Gift+Ide a-orig.jpg

letter_factory
4th November 2011, 07:44 AM
I've got peanut butter cups and snickers bars that are over a year old. They still taste fine, probaby cuz they put so much hydrogenated oil in it it'll never break down as long as you store it in a cool, dry, dark place.

k-os
4th November 2011, 04:18 PM
I have a sweet tooth that comes and goes, and I think candy would be an awesome item to have, should TS ever HTF for real. Who wouldn't want an itsy bitsy piece of candy after their awful beans and rice (or MRE, or whatever)?

I have what I recently learned is "old lady" candy. . . classic round hard candies, common fruit flavors, and then those coffee/toffee/cream hard candies, some mint ones and cinnamon too. I never stored chocolate (although I love it), because I never had any faith it would survive in the conditions in and around my house. I have the hard candies stored in those metallic bags (sealed) and stuffed into a 5 gallon bucket with the lid that behaves like a submarine hatch. So far, so good!

I have dried fruits and nuts stored the same way, to be balanced.

gunDriller
10th November 2011, 04:55 AM
Who wouldn't want an itsy bitsy piece of candy after their awful beans and rice (or MRE, or whatever)?

a person can only take so much survival rations.

even having honey packets (like i just borrowed from the tea & coffee area at the Holiday Inn Express) would be good.

personally i don't sleep well when i'm losing 1/2 pound a day and my body is screaming for calories.

when Soviet Union stopped giving financial aid to Cuba, the average weight loss among Cuban people was 30 pounds. i wonder if any of them had trouble sleeping while they were in rapid weight loss/ semi-starvation mode.

personally, i'd rather be the guy with extra Reese's. you just plain perform better when you are well fed and have a good night's sleep. although it may be necessary to "lay low" in an economic collapse situation, i think it's wise to plan on performing at your peak, so as to be equal to any circumstances that may arise.

just think how good Maple Sugar Candy would taste after a week of 'hard rations' and hard work ...
http://owgd3.onewebgroup.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000003/maplecity/bulkcandy.jpg

mightymanx
10th November 2011, 11:37 AM
Mre's have candy in them

And lots of survival experts recomend hard candy to keep energy levels up. Good calories per size and easy to store put a dozen or so in a ziplock bag and presto instant energy rations for about 10 cents.

Now the problem with me is I chew those hard candies just like the tootsie pop comercial back in the day. So my rations will not last long.

Canadian-guerilla
4th October 2012, 09:16 AM
it's almost that time again

if i had thought about it
i should have made a test cache with chocolate/candy with peanuts to dig up after 4-5 months

this year gonna stay away from anything with peanuts
just chocolate and hard candy