PDA

View Full Version : new weapon

mike88
27th October 2010, 02:27 PM
Latest buy from gunbroker site. Feg clone of Browning hi power. 13 round double stack mag. 285.00 frn after shipping and local ffl dealer fee. Came with one mag, have another on the way. Going to renew all the springs this weekend. The grip panels were really sad, took some 2000 grit wetordry to them, then steel wool. finished up with carnuba wax. Pics as soon as i can get the camera from loveflower. stock photo downloaded for now.

Fullpower
27th October 2010, 03:56 PM
Lookin good mikey.
Load up a bunch of magazines, wrap em in plastic, and stash them at strategic water crossings, behind gas stations, etc... (along with clif bars, MRE.s and a liter or two of water.)

osprey
28th October 2010, 04:29 PM
Sounds like a good deal! I like the Hi Power platform a lot. Have you been able to shoot it much yet?

mike88
29th October 2010, 11:54 PM
No range report yet, going to respring and polish the feed ramp. Have 115 grain and 124 grain ammo, will see which shoots better with the fixed sights. going with factory spec recoil spring, hammer spring. The set includes a mag release spring and extractor spring also. I can get a good look at the extractor when it is out of the slide. Ditto the firing pin spring. I may remove the magazine safety on rear of trigger. This would allow a drop out mag change, and ability to fire if magazine is absent. I cycled a full 13 rounds thru the weapon, all chambered and ejected, tells me the mag and pistol are basically functional. Found a good looking shoulder rig @ centerfire systems, nylon with a double cell mag pouch on rh side. be tearing into her first of the week on days off. Should be fun!

steyr_m
30th October 2010, 07:55 AM
Well done, I like the Hi-Power too. I'd like to get myself a Tokarov next...

CrufflerJJ
4th November 2010, 10:17 AM
I may remove the magazine safety on rear of trigger. This would allow a drop out mag change, and ability to fire if magazine is absent.

Another great benefit to removing the magazine safety is that your trigger pull will be MUCH improved.

willie pete
4th November 2010, 10:23 AM
I used to have a Browning Hi-Power, Belgium made, a really beautiful pistol.....but.....really finicky with what type of rounds it'd feed and single action too.....traded it away ;D

Black Blade
4th November 2010, 06:43 PM
Nice! I do like Hi-Powers as well. I only have the Argentine FM Hi-Powers but would like to acquire an orginal Belgium Hi-Power someday. ;)

mike88
5th November 2010, 07:23 PM
slow progress so far on the feg. the spare mag{new} came wed. 13 round megcar, made in italy,nickle plated. I decided to tune up the wife's model 10 smith and wesson first. Complete teardown, cleaned all the lockwork and the interior. found mostly powder residue and a small amount of gummy oil. installed a new cylinder stop, needed very minor fitting, was a bit too tight on one chamber stop. wrapped 2000 grit wetordry on the precision straightedge, about 3 passes on each side and done. just narrowed the new part a bit. Assembled the rest of the lockwork in the usual manner, installed 12 lb trigger return spring, and new factory equivelent mainspring. drop of Mobil synthetic on each pivot. Used a washer between the yoke and cylinder to take up the fore and aft movement of the cylinder. Same deal with the wetordry and straightedge on the yoke face. The cylinder has a good lockuo now. The lube and new springs in the lockwork made for an excellent DA trigger pull. no stone work on the sear or trigger, the cleaning and springs did well enough for me and her. got the parts from Midway, the washers come 10 to a package, anyone wants one send sase to me. The grin on my wifes face when she felt the trigger was worth it bigtime.

mike88
15th November 2010, 10:14 AM
Update on hi power clone........new firing pin on the way from numrich, two argentine 17 rd mags on way for a total of 4 with this piece. wallymart ammo run, the ammo is enough for a range trip soon. Will take pics of respring and firing pin replacement this week.