PDA

View Full Version : question about what to trade

chad
28th October 2010, 02:41 PM
i'm going to trade some gold for silver. this is to round out an odd lot i have. once i do it, my silver hoard will be complete, unless i get insane and try for another round lot. i have somebody lined up who will trade spot for spot. would you sell:

1) fractional pamp in assay cards, mostly 1, 5 and 2.5 gram bars

2) 10, 20 gram credit suisse bars without assay cards

it's only 2 ounces, so it's not like it's the end of the world or anything. i bought all of this stuff long ago, so i'm making out fine already, just wondering what you'd trade.

i am thinking the credit suisse stuff not in assay cards. any ideas?

osoab
28th October 2010, 02:44 PM
i'm going to trade some gold for silver. this is to round out an odd lot i have. once i do it, my silver hoard will be complete, unless i get insane and try for another round lot. i have somebody lined up who will trade spot for spot. would you sell:

1) fractional pamp in assay cards, mostly 1, 5 and 2.5 gram bars

2) 10, 20 gram credit suisse bars without assay cards

it's only 2 ounces, so it's not like it's the end of the world or anything. i bought all of this stuff long ago, so i'm making out fine already, just wondering what you'd trade.

i am thinking the credit suisse stuff not in assay cards. any ideas?

#2. No assay cards.

Besides, shortly very few will be able to buy the 1 gram bars. :o

Gaillo
28th October 2010, 02:54 PM
If you think Silver will continue to go up in value, trade away the heavier pieces.
If you think Silver will go down in value, trade away the lighter pieces.

The reasoning behind this is that if Silver continues to go up in value, you will want a lot of smaller pieces for trade/barter/sale because your potential customer base for larger (hugely expensive) chunks will be smaller.

This is why most of my Silver stash consists of Merc dimes and 1-Ozt rounds.

chad
28th October 2010, 02:59 PM
If you think Silver will continue to go up in value, trade away the heavier pieces.
If you think Silver will go down in value, trade away the lighter pieces.

The reasoning behind this is that if Silver continues to go up in value, you will want a lot of smaller pieces for trade/barter/sale because your potential customer base for larger (hugely expensive) chunks will be smaller.

This is why most of my Silver stash consists of Merc dimes and 1-Ozt rounds.

hmm makes sense, and coincides with what osoab said...see that's why i come here ;D

Neuro
28th October 2010, 03:18 PM
Keep the smaller pieces. They are less likely to be forged, since the forgers would have a smaller profit on each peace, thus as gold gets more expensive, forgers will target larger pieces first, especially well known brands like credit Suisse... The premiums on smaller pieces will go up more, due to escalating prices of gold, meaning larger pieces will be off limit to an increasing number of people. Easier to smuggle smaller pieces in your clothes as well.

But I have to say that I like bigger pieces that feel heavy to hold better, than many small of equal weight. There is something about a large chunk of gold, that you don't get with many smaller pieces...

Don't let your emotions guide you though... ;D

chad
29th October 2010, 06:11 AM
okay, i'm keeping the small assayed ones. it is really going to suck not clinking around 20 gram bars though...

SLV^GLD
29th October 2010, 06:14 AM
I am in agreement with the preceding posters but I'll add that in a sell situation a higher premium can generally be gained (or recouped) on smaller fractions.

DMac
29th October 2010, 06:33 AM
Good advice above. Bars with no assay cards sell for less than spot and are harder to move overall.

I am all for holding smaller fractions of Au, but in this case (or nearly anycase) get rid of non-assay carded pieces of gold first.

Coins are another story..

Ponce
29th October 2010, 10:32 AM
Hold on to gold, as I do, for emergencies....... easier to run away with gold than with silver.

old steel
30th October 2010, 09:35 AM
Hold on to gold, as I do, for emergencies....... easier to run away with gold than with silver.

Where you gonna run to Ponce?

Ponce
30th October 2010, 09:40 AM
Goo question........Argentina is now out with the loss of my farm........maybe your place?, I'll even bring my stach of tp rolls hahahahahahhahaah.

First post of the day............good morning to one and all.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
30th October 2010, 05:35 PM
I personally do not feel that the ratio of Gold into Silver is very favorable right now. Usually you want it above 60 or if lucky 70 or 80 which has happened in the last 24 months numerous times. If you wait until this time, you'll geting that many more ounces of silver for each ounce of gold. Right now, the ratio is 54. Any lower and it's actually time to trade Silver into Gold, instead.