PDA

View Full Version : temporary shelter(s)

SHTF2010
7th November 2010, 02:09 AM
for whatever reason, you're forced to leave your house after TSHTF
what would you look for in a temporary shelter, THAT YOU HAVE TO BUILD YOURSELF

SIZE - how many occupants

MATERIALS - there could be A LOT of other people looking for shelter materials too
and once a salvaged piece of plywood is on your shelter
you have to MAKE SURE it stays on your shelter

HEATING / COOKING INSIDE - what to use for a fireplace/cooking spot and how big

RAINPROOF / ABLE TO HOLD HEAT - keeping the rain out while holding the heat in could be a big factor in comfort

SANITATION - outside the shelter

VISIBILITY - out of sight, out of mind

for myself

SIZE - just myself, so i could make do with a really small shelter ( if for only one day )

MATERIALS - this depends on the area i'm in and whether i'm thinking of a " four walls and a roof " shelter, in the summer, 4 walls and a roof wouldn't be such a priority, but it's a whole nother matter in the winter

HEATING / COOKING INSIDE - hobo stove, i wouldn't think of a firepit unliss i was in a good sized shelter

RAINPROOF / ABLE TO HOLD HEAT - a nice piece of tarp/plastic would take care of this, with a angled roof and a hole at the peak for a chimney, and one could make a shelter more solid, depending on how permanent the shelter would be

SANITATION - outside the shelter

VISIBILITY - shelter non-visibility is BIG on my shelter requirements ( temp and long-term )

OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND, if people don't know you're there, should be no hassles

one of my BOL's is a auto junkyard ( windowless maxi van on it's side )
when TSHTF
i don't think people will be wandering around an auto junkyard looking for food and water

last winter i used a port-potty as a shelter with a hobo stove for heat
didn't get much sleep, but i made it thru a sub-zero winter night

come spring, i may have my choice of " nice shelters " after a SHTF winter

hoarder
7th November 2010, 03:42 AM
http://www.reesetipis.com/index.cfm

I used to have a tipi.