PDA

View Full Version : 9mm advice

Sparky
8th November 2010, 05:33 PM
Gun newbie looking to buy a 9mm. My state is very restrictive on what you can purchase here. I'd be interested to hear from you gun-savvy GSUSers on which 2 or 3 from the list below are worthy of consideration, or which 2 or 3 should be avoided. This is for home defense, not for conceal. Also interested in opinions on buying new versus used. Thanks.

Beretta 92FS, 9000S
FMK 9C-1
Glock 17, 17C, 17RTF, 19, 19C, 19RTF2, 26, 34
Kahr Arms CWP9, PM9, 9093, 9096
Para Ordnance 129, 189
Sig Arms P225, P226, P229, P239, SP2009
Smith & Wesson 908, 910, 952, 1911, 3913, 5903, 5906, CS9, SW99, SW9, M&P9
Ruger P89, 94, 95, SR9
Steyr Arms M9A1
Walther P99, PPS

mightymanx
8th November 2010, 05:58 PM
FWIW you ommitted the XD I don't know if this was intentional.

I don't know how large a person you are but I am 5'7" and H/W proportionate and about the largest thing I can conceal with out difficulty and draw in a reasonable manner is a Glock 19 sized pistol (Which I have been carrying that exact model for 15 years)

If you are a 1911 guy get an XD as they say the Glock is the Macentosh of the gun world people either love them or hate them.

I am also partial to the Smith MMP.

EE_
8th November 2010, 06:04 PM
Beretta 92FS, 9000S
Not bad, but I prefer the Italian made 92
FMK 9C-1
Huh?
Glock 17, 17C, 17RTF, 19, 19C, 19RTF2, 26, 34
All great with my favorite do it all, G26...A G19 with a weapon light a good option.
Kahr Arms CWP9, PM9, 9093, 9096
Nice for carry but not built to shoot 40,000 rds like a Glock
Para Ordnance 129, 189
Rather have a Glock
Sig Arms P225, P226, P229, P239, SP2009
The Cadillac of factory pistols and priced accordingly
Smith & Wesson 908, 910, 952, 1911, 3913, 5903, 5906, CS9, SW99, SW9, M&P9
Only exception would be the M&P otherwise only S&W revolvers
Ruger P89, 94, 95, SR9
I like the SR9 and SR9c
Steyr Arms M9A1
No need to consider for a newbie
Walther P99, PPS
P99 looks nice and has a good reputation...don't like the PPS

Hope this helps

http://www.glock-club.com/files/glock9od_all_194.jpg

Book
8th November 2010, 06:11 PM
Glock G19 with factory night sights. My most favorite.

|--0--|

Glass
8th November 2010, 06:16 PM
Like MM suggests whack XD or CZ on your list. Not like you have many choices already. ;D

willie pete
8th November 2010, 06:16 PM
Proud SIG-P226 owner .....15 rd mag :D

k-os
8th November 2010, 06:21 PM
Proud owner of a Sig (not on your list, because it's a .380). They are expensive, and they are worth it!

As far as new vs. used - I prefer to buy everything used if possible. Let the other guy take the depreciation hit for the newness factor. If they have a range at the store, you can probably try it before you buy it.

Since you don't plan to carry it, I would imagine any of them would do just fine for home protection.

I am very excited knowing that you'll soon be joining the forces of people who employ their Second Amendment rights! The more the merrier.

Sparky
8th November 2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.

MightyM, any omissions is because they are restricted here. I'm about 6 feet tall, with medium sized hands. I shot a Sig (I think 226), but TTYTT, the trigger had a "long pull", if that's the right terminology, i.e. a lot of play before firing. I didn't really like that. And I tried the compact, which felt uncomfortably small.

EE, you say the "only exception" on the Smith is the M&P. Does that mean it's the only one to buy, or to avoid?? I think this is the most-sold gun in Massachusetts. Thanks for your review list.

mightymanx
8th November 2010, 06:57 PM
For your size, I would recomend a full size then.

If the XD is restricted I would go glock 17 or M&P depending on fit and if you want a safety other than keeping your finger off the trigger. Both are extremly common and the choice of most professionals.

Find your natural point of aim and then find the pistol that has a grip style and angle that keeps that natural position. That will improve your shooting dramaticly right off the bat. For me it's a Glock 19

EE_
8th November 2010, 07:22 PM

MightyM, any omissions is because they are restricted here. I'm about 6 feet tall, with medium sized hands. I shot a Sig (I think 226), but TTYTT, the trigger had a "long pull", if that's the right terminology, i.e. a lot of play before firing. I didn't really like that. And I tried the compact, which felt uncomfortably small.

EE, you say the "only exception" on the Smith is the M&P. Does that mean it's the only one to buy, or to avoid?? I think this is the most-sold gun in Massachusetts. Thanks for your review list.

The M&P is the one I like or buy S&W revolvers

willie pete
8th November 2010, 07:34 PM

Unless you cock the hammer back on the SIG-P226, the first pull is going to DA, THEN EVERY pull after that WILL be SA

Gaillo
8th November 2010, 08:29 PM
Go with the Glock 19 or the Sig P226/P229 - you just can't go wrong with either choice. I'd also highly recommend you look at the H&K P2000 V3, if you can afford it and if it's legal in your state... best polymer handgun I've ever owned!

Of course, in my opinion the ULTIMATE 9mm handgun is the Sig Sauer P228, but you might have a hard time finding one (they're no longer in production, and P228 owners tend to hold on to them! ;) ), and it might not be "approved" for whatever commiestan state you live in.

Black Blade
9th November 2010, 02:17 AM
Given the choices I would go with Glock 19 and Glock 26 in that order followed by Glock 17 or Beretta 92. I often carry my Glocks as CCW guns.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/jhwarner1/SheridanGuns/G19MiltSparksV21a-1.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/jhwarner1/SheridanGuns/G19MiltSparksV2a-1.jpg

Glock 19 with G17 magazine in Milt Sparks VII holster

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/9c636ba21bf9a16b270419873a929bbf2932a46b.pjpg

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/c8716e14ac271538960791ad2736df900bce92af.pjpg

Glock 19 in MTAC holster, 2 magazine ankle mag carrier and P-64 back up in Nemesis pocket holster

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/jhwarner1/Survive/EDC3a.jpg

There are some things that are naturally carried and and everything must be utilized in an emergency, Here is what I usually have on me at any given time:

1. Surefire E2D Defender flashlight
2. Leatherman Tool
3. Glock 19 in MTAC holster
4. Extra magazines in ankle carrier
5. Pocket Knife
6. Leather Driving Gloves (depending on weather)
7. Keys (two sets - not shown)
8. Cell Phone (now carry a Blackberry)
9. Bandana

All my Glocks have night sites, one G26 has an internal Lasermax and the new Gen 4 Glock 19 has factory sites. The MTAC is the most comfortable holster and accomodates the G26, G19 and G17. Glocks have the reputation for reliability out of the box and are nearly indestructable. Most the rest of the guns on the OPs list are fine guns but my preference is for the Glock.

- Black Blade

chad
17th December 2010, 12:32 PM
i've got a 92fs, awesome, awesome, awesome weapon.

Rebel Yarr
17th December 2010, 08:44 PM
I'll help you narrow down your list to one manufacturer.

http://cz-usa.com/products/by-category/handguns/

Best in value & reliability - most issued handgun in the world.

Sparky
17th December 2010, 10:28 PM

Notice that CZ handguns are not allowed for purchase in Massachusetts.

mike88
29th December 2010, 08:12 AM
Browning Hi Power, or the clone made by FEG of Hungary

SLV^GLD
29th December 2010, 08:25 AM
The non-intuitive slide mounted safety on the 92FS is the only picking point for that weapon. I have a similarly built Beretta (BDA-380) and I take no issue with the safety but many people can't get past it.

undgrd
29th December 2010, 08:32 AM
S&W M&P 9mm Compact.

Go find a place to try one out and report back...

mike88
29th December 2010, 08:42 AM
surplus argentine 17 rd mags fit the hi power, found 2 on gunbroker for about 35.00 frn. My second choice would be the glock. CZ are fine weapon also. Try a few models out at a range that rents various models if possible. Nice to still have self defense choices. Stack ammo deep, commodities are on a tear, and brass/lead will take more and more frn to purchase monthly. I currently have 4 mags for this one, can't have too many imo. Cleaning kit, Quality holster and practice.

Rebel Yarr
29th December 2010, 07:22 PM

Notice that CZ handguns are not allowed for purchase in Massachusetts.

Well, I'd say that is a great reason for moving!

But - yes you can buy a CZ in Mass.

Sparky
29th December 2010, 09:18 PM
S&W M&P 9mm Compact.

I find the compact too small for my hands; this isn't for conceal. I tried the full size; it felt good but it was a tough pull. My understanding is I can get the trigger resistance reduced; is that done fairly routinely?

Also, the magazine was VERY difficult to load; is that typical of the M&P, or did I just have a bad magazine?

undgrd
30th December 2010, 04:32 AM
S&W M&P 9mm Compact.

I find the compact too small for my hands; this isn't for conceal. I tried the full size; it felt good but it was a tough pull. My understanding is I can get the trigger resistance reduced; is that done fairly routinely?

Also, the magazine was VERY difficult to load; is that typical of the M&P, or did I just have a bad magazine?

The short answer
Lightening up the trigger pull is typically referred to as a "Trigger Job" and is routinely done. As for the difficulty loading the mag...Odds are it was a function of that particular handgun because it's a rental (I'm assuming you rented one). A new from factory M&P should be smooth and easy to load and extract.

The long answer

It looks like you may not be getting an accurate assessment of the firearms your trying out. Just did some poking around and apparently MA has strict compliance requirements for handguns. Trigger Pull weight appears to be one of them.

This seems to be a pretty good FAQ outlining those requirements. As always DYODD!
MA Requirements (http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/37553-MA-Handgun-Compliance-Q-A-Thread-%28new%29)

That being said, it appears these requirements may only apply to dealers in the state selling handguns. If I read that FAQ correctly, you should be able to buy whatever you want...like from budsgunshop.com, have it transferred to an agreeable FFL, and still be legal in the state of MA while avoiding the additional MA requirements.

hoarder
30th December 2010, 05:28 AM
I shot a Sig (I think 226), but TTYTT, the trigger had a "long pull", if that's the right terminology, i.e. a lot of play before firing. I didn't really like that. Just like a revolver. That's exactly what I do like about them.
Envision yourself in this scenario: Someone 20 yards away is coming in your direction. You don't know if he's a threat or not so you don't draw yet. At 10 yards you decide his body language is hostile. At 8 yards his hand goes in his jacket. At 3 yards your 1911 comes out. At 0 yards his knife is 3" from your abdomen.

Whould you rather have a long trigger pull do deal with or be trying to snick off the safety with your thumb (which should be securely wrapped around the grip), assuming you remember it has a safety?

hoarder
30th December 2010, 05:29 AM
Ever heard the term "Sig leg"? Me niether because there is no such term.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=glock+leg&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IE8SRC

IHS
30th December 2010, 01:29 PM
Glocks develop crisper triggers with use and they have a shorter reset, which is desireable. For home defense (not CCW) the model 17 is a winner. I recommend a 3rd Generation, not the 4th (requires a break-in period due to stiffer springs) for a newbie like yourself. The Glock 19 is also very popular, in fact, it is the most popular of all the Glock pistols.

Another pistol you might look at is the Springfield XD9, if that is an option. I currently own one and I am favorably impressed so far. They have quite a following, along with the Glocks and Smith & Wesson M&Ps.

As far as buying used, you can get a good deal on Glocks that are police trade-ins. They have been refurbished, thoroughly function tested and should be under a (limited) service warranty by Glock. I have seen lots of them over the years, in excellent condition, many with good night sights, which will still give you many years of reliable service.

As for mags, most are stiff when new, but loosen a bit over time. Also, you can use the supplied magazine loader tool which works quite well when you figure out how it goes...

IHS

steyr_m
30th December 2010, 05:46 PM
I know this is an older thread, but I have to throw my opinion in. I wonder what he bought...

I feel you get what you pay for. Would I have a weapon that might save my butt that was made by FMK (what is that?) or Sig Sauer? I'd buy the Sig. I own H&K's but because it's a bit more lefty friendly. The sig is made with right-handers in mind only.

Buddha
12th January 2011, 04:17 PM
Not to hijack the thread but I am also in the same boat, I am looking for a new 9mm. I did own a Springfield XDM 9mm, but ended up selling it to my stepfather. As far as a review goes, it is awesome weapon put over 1000 rounds through it with no problems, the only flaw in the shooting came from myself, and the 20 round magazine is great.

This time around though I really don't want something that nice. What do you guys think of Taurus? I may go ahead and get another Springfield 9mm but not the xdm version. Everybody seems to like Glocks but I hear about the kabooms, or the gun cracking in someway and Glock refusing to repair it. Also "Glock Leg"

The CZs and the Sigs look nice, but IDK. I would like to keep the price at a limit of $500 for the gun itself, could go a little higher I guess. This isn't for CCW.

big country
12th January 2011, 05:00 PM
Not to hijack the thread but I am also in the same boat, I am looking for a new 9mm. I did own a Springfield XDM 9mm, but ended up selling it to my stepfather. As far as a review goes, it is awesome weapon put over 1000 rounds through it with no problems, the only flaw in the shooting came from myself, and the 20 round magazine is great.

This time around though I really don't want something that nice. What do you guys think of Taurus? I may go ahead and get another Springfield 9mm but not the xdm version. Everybody seems to like Glocks but I hear about the kabooms, or the gun cracking in someway and Glock refusing to repair it. Also "Glock Leg"

The CZs and the Sigs look nice, but IDK. I would like to keep the price at a limit of $500 for the gun itself, could go a little higher I guess. This isn't for CCW.

I paid $450 for my CZ, I have a CZ85. Same as a 75, but with safety and slide release on both sides for lefties too. It is the Pre-B version, but was brand new when I bought it. Manufactured in 1990, I've had it for 2 years. Might be able to find some deals on a CZ if you look around to get them around your price range. They shouldn't be too much more then that anyways for a brand new one.

Heimdhal
12th January 2011, 05:15 PM

Im not super glock fan boy or anything, but the glock "kaboom" was something that happened in their .40 cal's because they didnt change the specs on the chambers, leaving too much of the case outside the chamber, casuing what is basicaly an "out of battery discharge".

Glock leg is purley in the hands of the operator however. Yes they do have some light "DA" triggers, but keeping your booger hook off the bang switch when holstering and unholstering is the best way to keep ANY gun from an accidental discharge into your leg.

They do make aftermarket triggers with safties for glocks though. So dont discount them totaly.

You can always go with another Springfield xd as well.

madfranks
12th January 2011, 05:30 PM
I see a lot of you are recommending the G19. I am thinking of getting a G17. Mostly for home defense, but I would occasionally want to carry it concealed as well. Why the G19 instead of the 17?

Heimdhal
12th January 2011, 05:34 PM
I see a lot of you are recommending the G19. I am thinking of getting a G17. Mostly for home defense, but I would occasionally want to carry it concealed as well. Why the G19 instead of the 17?

Its a little smaller than the full size g17, so if you plan on carrying, get the g19 hands down.

If you plan on carrying, I happen to know a guy that IWB holsters at a very good price with lots of positive reviews and is also a member of this site..... 8) 8)

;)

hoarder
12th January 2011, 05:35 PM
Niether one is even marginally concealable, get the G17 if you must have a Glock.

Sig and Glock make "combat handguns", as are 1911's. They tried to make "compacts" by shortening the barrels and grips, not by making them thinner, IOW they both failed miserably.
THIN is what defines "concealable".

Book
12th January 2011, 05:35 PM
http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ap_Seung_Hui_Cho_090807_mn.jpg

http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/01119/webarizona-shoo_1119241cl-3.jpg

GLOCK G19 (http://www.glock.com/english/glock19.htm)

Field Tested at Virginia Tech University and Tucson Safeway. So simple and reliable even the deranged can make it go bang.

ximmy
12th January 2011, 05:43 PM
Did this guy shoot his foot off with a 9mm... just wondering.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhIJOVD8hwY

Book
12th January 2011, 05:43 PM

Its a little smaller than the full size g17, so if you plan on carrying, get the g19 hands down.

Agreed. My G19 also seems better balanced than the G17. Be sure to absolutely get the factory night sight version at the time of purchase.

:)

madfranks
12th January 2011, 05:45 PM
Niether one is even marginally concealable, get the G17 if you must have a Glock.

What about in a shoulder holster? Next time I run to the gun shop, I'll bring my holster and try it out, but surely it could be concealed there...?

If you plan on carrying, I happen to know a guy that IWB holsters at a very good price with lots of positive reviews and is also a member of this site..... 8) 8)

;)

I already have a few holsters to carry my Colt Combat Commander and my other Glock, but if I need another, I'll keep you in mind. :)

Heimdhal
12th January 2011, 05:53 PM

Sig and Glock make "combat handguns", as are 1911's. They tried to make "compacts" by shortening the barrels and grips, not by making them thinner, IOW they both failed miserably.
THIN is what defines "concealable".

I know plenty of people that conceal the g19/23 very well. In fact, I just made a holster for a guy whos a friend of mine and a deputy who's been carrying a g23 (which is the same as a g19, but in .40) since they first game out literaly 15 hours a day, every day. I've used it and worn one in that same rig and found it about as easy to conceal as my sub compact .45.

He uses his for work, so obvisouly he didnt go as compact as he could and he must have it in .40, but none the less, Ive considered getting one myself as I liked it when I wore it.

hoarder
12th January 2011, 05:54 PM
What about in a shoulder holster? Next time I run to the gun shop, I'll bring my holster and try it out, but surely it could be concealed there...?
Sure, there are ways to conceal a combat handgun. I do it all the time. I just get pissed when they shorten them and call them "compact".

If I had a baggy trenchcoat I could probably conceal my sawed off double barrel shotgun.

Book
12th January 2011, 06:06 PM
If I had a baggy trenchcoat I could probably conceal my sawed off double barrel shotgun.

My Glock G19 is not really "concealable". My Kahr P9 in a front pocket holster is even wearing shorts during the summer:

Heimdhal
12th January 2011, 06:10 PM
Heres a side by side comparison of the G17 and the G19 in one of my HH holsters, sorry for the big pics:

G17:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/100_5044.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/100_5045.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/100_5046.jpg

G19:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/100_5049.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/100_5048.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/100_5047.jpg

G19: Tucked in
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/100_5050.jpg

The two side by side and the holster:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/100_5056.jpg

Sure, they arent the smallest guns, but take into consideration that Im wearing work jeans and a very light cotton shirt made for the summer, my usualy "uniform" that has well concealed many a hand gun. Its all in the holster.

I would shy away from carrying the g17 concealed though, its just too big, the g19 is is ok at it.

hoarder
12th January 2011, 06:18 PM
My Glock G19 is not really "concealable". My Kahr P9 in a front pocket holster is even wearing shorts during the summer:
I have a P9 also. The first time I turned one sideways and saw how thin it was, I had to buy one.
Carried it a lot living in Texas. Up here you tend to wear more clothes most of the year so concealing combat handguns is easier.

Book
12th January 2011, 06:19 PM
...take into consideration that I'm wearing work jeans and a very light cotton shirt made for the summer, my usually "uniform" that has well concealed many a hand gun. Its all in the holster.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_l_zt1bmRE8g/S9EjujyoKzI/AAAAAAAAAFQ/rcLsipHb7DQ/s1600/Skinny_Guy.jpg

No offense (seriously) Heimdhal but us skinny guys can't conceal a G19 let alone a full combat pistol without wearing a trenchcoat in the summer. Hoarder is right...

|--0--|

madfranks
12th January 2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the pics Heimy; again I'm looking at the G17 primarily for a home defense pistol, but on occasion I like to take my larger handguns out for concealed carry, and by far the most comfortable holster I have is my shoulder holster. I'm going to try out the G17 in it and see how it feels. I like the idea of having the full size G17 rather than the compact G19; my other glock is a compact model and I had to get an extended mag so my pinkie finger had a place to rest.

Heimdhal
12th January 2011, 06:55 PM
...take into consideration that I'm wearing work jeans and a very light cotton shirt made for the summer, my usually "uniform" that has well concealed many a hand gun. Its all in the holster.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_l_zt1bmRE8g/S9EjujyoKzI/AAAAAAAAAFQ/rcLsipHb7DQ/s1600/Skinny_Guy.jpg

No offense (seriously) Heimdhal but us skinny guys can't conceal a G19 let alone a full combat pistol without wearing a trenchcoat in the summer. Hoarder is right...

|--0--|

No offense taken. I know I've got some extra meat on the bones. But regardless, it is still all in the holsters. Yall are right, some guns are just easier to conceal than others. Kel Tec, Khar, etc are going to be inherently better at concealed carry, they were designed with only that in mind.

But, I've seen plenty of people, big and small, carry full and mid sized hand guns quite well.

Wardrobe changes are not uncommon. Going up a pants size and maybe even a shirt size is what a lot of guys do that want to carry something a little bigger than pocket guns. It's what I had to do, even being a big fella, to carry my compact .45 which is just a little smaller than the g19, though a lot flatter as well.

Glocks big disadvantage against CCWing is their width and blocky shape, but my point was only that it can be done more than just "marginaly". Thats all.

Oh yeah, and a shameless plug for my holsters. :P

Book
12th January 2011, 07:02 PM
Wardrobe changes are not uncommon. Going up a pants size and maybe even a shirt size is what a lot of guys do that want to carry something a little bigger than pocket guns.

Yep...I agree. Wardrobe change is essential for concealed carry.

|--0--|

madfranks
12th January 2011, 07:20 PM
Wardrobe changes are not uncommon. Going up a pants size and maybe even a shirt size is what a lot of guys do that want to carry something a little bigger than pocket guns.

|--0--|

I disagree. Shoulder holsters, ankle holsters, pocket holsters, even just carrying the pistol in your jacket pocket don't require a wardrobe change.

Gaillo
12th January 2011, 07:28 PM
madfranks,

I've owned both the Glock 17 and Glock 19 (along with half a dozen other models) and if I ever bought another Glock, it would DEFINITELY be the 19. If you want the 17 for larger magazine capacity, keep in mind you can use the Glock 17 magazines IN a Glock 19, but NOT the other way around. Something about the size and balance of the Glock 19 just WORKS somehow... and it's perfect for concealed carry. The Glock 19 is the only Glock that I really miss owning. I currently have a H&K P2000 V3, which is nearly IDENTICAL to the Glock 19 size-wise, and has the added benefit of being a TDA (traditional double-action, with hammer and decocker) so I'm in no hurry to buy another Glock 19... but it's definitely the best of the Glock handguns in my opinion and the one I would pick up if I were to buy another Glock.

Book
12th January 2011, 07:29 PM
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/287/conservativenavyx.jpg

Heimdhal
12th January 2011, 08:05 PM

|--0--|

I disagree. Shoulder holsters, ankle holsters, pocket holsters, even just carrying the pistol in your jacket pocket don't require a wardrobe change.

And of all of those, waist band carry is still the best and most prefered. For those up north, Shoulder holsters might be good, since open jackets are worn more through the year. Here in Florida, where a T-shirt and shorts are common, that takes out everything but waist band and pocket.

I dont like shoulder and ankle carry myself. Unless you're wearing an open jacket, theres too much in the way to get to your gun in a shoulder holster: buttons and material, etc.

Ankle is ok, but very annoying, a no go if you're in shorts and takes alot of movement to get the gun out and drawn, not to mention puting your body in a position where balance is affected. I never carry on the ankle, so maybe its just my inexperiences with it, but there seems to be many negatives to it.

Pocket is definelty a good way to go, and it with IWB/OWB are my prefered ways to go and the most recomended by most serious carriers/shooters.

steyr_m
12th January 2011, 08:05 PM

I don't know anything about Taurus. You probably shouldn't buy a pistol only on looks. My opinion is the same as before, you get what you pay for. If you're even considering the Sig, I'd go for that. I've heard good things about CZ and Glock...

Book
12th January 2011, 08:16 PM
Pocket is definitely a good way to go...

http://firstrung.co.uk/dbimgs/hands%20in%20pockets.jpg

Kahr 9mm in a front pant pocket holster. Just standing there with your hands in your pocket and one second later BOOM! No need for the other hand to lift up a shirt or unzip a jacket...also works fine in baggy cargo shorts in the hot summer even without a shirt.

|--0--|

Heimdhal
12th January 2011, 08:20 PM

Kahr 9mm in a front pant pocket holster. Just standing there with your hands in your pocket and one second later BOOM! No need for the other hand to lift up a shirt or unzip a jacket...also works fine in baggy cargo shorts in the hot summer even without a shirt.

|--0--|

My next CCW gun is going to be a good pocket gun. I havent decided what yet, and budget will dictate, but I really need something I can pocket carry since I usualy wear very light cloths (being a big guy in a hot climate). That Khar is looking good, and I like Kel Tec's alot too (and so does my wallet).

milehi
12th January 2011, 08:32 PM
What do you guys think of Taurus?

I have a PT 92. It's large and not ideal for CC.

Book
12th January 2011, 08:35 PM

|--0--|

My next CCW gun is going to be a good pocket gun. I havent decided what yet, and budget will dictate, but I really need something I can pocket carry since I usualy wear very light cloths (being a big guy in a hot climate). That Khar is looking good, and I like Kel Tec's alot too (and so does my wallet).

Shop around. My Kahr P9 was really pricey ($650) and their customer service blows. Been five years since and I dunno if I would buy it again. Also look at all the competitors in 2011.

:dunno

Heimdhal
12th January 2011, 10:34 PM

|--0--|

Shop around. My Kahr P9 was really pricey ($650) and their customer service blows. Been five years since and I dunno if I would buy it again. Also look at all the competitors in 2011.

yeah, I'll probably just go with a Kel Tec. I've used em and like em. Most of my pants are baggy enough that a p11 or pf9 fits in the pocket. But even if I have to IWB, it still beats the 27 ounces (unloaded) my current carry gun weighs in at. :-\

madfranks
13th January 2011, 07:24 AM

|--0--|

yeah, I'll probably just go with a Kel Tec. I've used em and like em. Most of my pants are baggy enough that a p11 or pf9 fits in the pocket. But even if I have to IWB, it still beats the 27 ounces (unloaded) my current carry gun weighs in at. :-\

Try the Ruger LCP - even though it's not a 9mm (.380), you slip that baby in your pocket and even you might not know it's there! The LCP is currently my primary carry handgun because of how easy it is to carry.

big country
13th January 2011, 07:32 AM
If you like the LCP, check out rugers new LC9
http://www.ruger.com/products/lc9/models.html

For comparison the LCP dimensions are:
L - 5.16"
W - 0.82"
H - 3.6"
Weight - 9.4oz

Ruger LC9:
L - 6"
W - 0.9"
H - 4.5"
weight - 17.1oz

I'm seriously considering selling my LCP and getting an LC9

Black Blade
15th January 2011, 02:46 AM
New 4th Gen Glock

I added a new Gen 4 Glock 19 that I spotted at the shop.

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpg/d6e16212d9c4d3b4da8232aa5b9ac5b3453e3618_r.jpg

Glock 19 (left to right - 3rd gen and 4th gen)

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpg/12826ec193d88c76d87bd2dd2f015dfbdf09644a_r.jpg

Glock 19 (3rd gen upper right, 4th gen lower left)

madfranks
15th January 2011, 08:38 AM
Thanks for those pics - I think I like the 4th gen better.

Awoke
8th March 2011, 08:15 PM
What did you get, Sparky?

I would recommend a Glock 17 for you for home defense. I like the Springfield armories XD(m) if I was to carry, but I don't have any experience carrying in CanaDUH because we're not allowed...
:(

But I have held the XD(m) and it is a nice, slender piece with interchangeable backstraps.

Sparky
9th March 2011, 05:03 PM
What did you get, Sparky?

After much deliberation, I finally ended up with the Baretta 92FS. I decided I wanted to buy new, which eliminates a lot of options here in Massachusetts (including all Glocks) because we have strict compliance laws. I like the design and feel a lot, although it is hefty, which seems to be the main criticism of this particular gun. Beretta says they are considering manufacturing the compact version again, which is still the size of many full size guns. So if I end up liking this one, maybe I'll keep my eyes open for that.

sunnyandseventy
9th March 2011, 05:19 PM
I have several. It was my first firearm 16 years ago. We've got a group up here that shoots weekly and nearly all shoot Beretta 92's. One of the shooters is an at home FFL and he's sold 60+ in the last year locally.

One of the good things is you can shoot lead cast bullets with that barrel.

On that Beretta forum there's a poster, SCgunguy or something like that. Great deals on 9mm+P ammunition.

A lot of great info here
http://berettaforum.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Beretta Magazines
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/beretta.html

This is the holster I'm currently using for concealed carry.
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=2827&GunID=3

A Beretta Factory .22LR Conversion Kit is a nice option. This link seems expensive. I recall paying a little over $300 with shipping a few years ago.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=974943

Book
9th March 2011, 05:21 PM
...although it is hefty, which seems to be the main criticism of this particular gun.

Heavy frame = less recoil.

:)

Heimdhal
9th March 2011, 05:31 PM
if its strictly for home defense (no ccw'ing) heft and big is fine, and preferable.

Get some good quality JHP's in +P like Hornady TAP's in 124 or 147 gr and as much PROPER practice as you can afford (and dry fire, dry fire, dry fire) and you're in good shape.

Dont neglect extra mags too.

mightymanx
9th March 2011, 06:40 PM
Thanks for those pics - I think I like the 4th gen better.

WOW I must be the odd ball.

I am still prowling the gunshows trying to find a second gen 2. My hands just don't work in the finger groves and the thumb perch of the later gens.

Awoke
10th March 2011, 05:26 AM
Sparkey, sounds like a good buy, based on the posts from the other users. It looks similair to a 1911 platform, is it?

You know, another positive thing about a heavy pistol VS a light one, is that it is steadier to aim it. Almost all competitive target shooters prefer a heavy, all metal gun over the lightweight polymere guns.

So your state doesn't allow the purchase of Glocks? Why is that?
I have a Gen3 G17 and I like it. (9mm)

EDIT to add:

practice as you can afford (and dry fire, dry fire, dry fire)

QFT.

SLV^GLD
10th March 2011, 06:04 AM
You know, another positive thing about a heavy pistol VS a light one...
It makes a better blunt weapon when the ammo runs dry; especially if you have to throw it. :D