PDA

View Full Version : Dandelion Root Extract makes cancer cells "commit suicide"

Ares
11th November 2010, 06:06 PM
WINDSOR, Ont. — Extract from dandelion roots dug out of lawns by a University of Windsor scientist and his students make cancer cells "commit suicide."

Oncologist Dr. Caroline Hamm got the idea to look into dandelions after two leukemia patients refused their next course of chemotherapy, yet returned to the cancer centre not on stretchers, but with improved test results after a steady diet of dandelion tea.

Hamm contacted University of Windsor biochemist Siyaram Pandey. Two cases "were nothing, it could be coincidental," Pandey said, recalling his early skepticism. But he did some preliminary research and set his students loose.

They meticulously dug up dandelion roots — thanks to Ontario's pesticide ban, they didn't have to worry about toxins — and applied the root extract they formulated to leukemia cells.

"There it did great, it did work," said Pandey, who added the leukemia cells effectively commit suicide within 24 hours of getting the dandelion treatment.

"It killed the cells very selectively. It only killed the cancer cells. The regular cells were not killed."

The results were recently published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacy.

"Here you have a non-toxic alternative to chemotherapy," said John Dufresne, a retired University of Windsor biochemist who administers the program. Pandey's research could lead to a product that could treat cancers resistant to chemotherapy drugs, he said. "It's almost in a sense a naturopathic approach to cancer treatment and to me that's very exciting."

Pandey and his team — Hamm and students Pamela Ovadje, Sudipa Chatterjee, Carly Griffin and Cynthia Tragrants — are getting $60,000 over two years from the Windsor and Essex County Cancer Centre Foundation's Seeds4Hope program to conduct further research.

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Doctor+dandy+idea+leads+promising+cancer+finding/3805715/story.html#ixzz151ucSWcQ

ShortJohnSilver
11th November 2010, 06:13 PM
Expect Windsor, Ontario, to suddenly have been found to join the Axis of Evil .

Plastic
11th November 2010, 06:14 PM
This could be huge!

How to make dandellion tea.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/16368-make-dandelion-root-tea/

RJB
11th November 2010, 06:29 PM
Of all medicinal herbs, the dandelion is easily in my top 5-- possibly my favorite.

I crave the leaves as spring nears. They are one of the top 3 most nutritious plants in North America. Try them before the last frost in spring. Fry the flowers and they taste like slightly bitter mushrooms.

During lent, I switch to roasted dandelion root instead of coffee. It feels as if inside the body is cleaned.

German studies have shown it to increase liver function and bile flow.

I love it.

Fortyone
11th November 2010, 06:44 PM
what does the tea taste like? cabbage? or regular tea?

Plastic
11th November 2010, 06:51 PM

It was used as a coffee substitute during the civil war so I would imagine half way decent. Hav'nt tried it yet myself but I hear it is slightly bitter with a hint of sweetness, I am quite fond of sassafrass tea though.

RJB
11th November 2010, 06:56 PM
You're supposed to roast the root until it is brown all the way through at about 200 to 350F depending on where you read it. I prefer the lower temperatures and I remove it when it's brown on the outside and white on the inside so it still retains it's nutritive and medicinal value. Then either pound it or grind it in a spice or coffee grinder and brew it like coffee-- french press, espresso maker, coffee maker, etc.

It has a bitter taste similiar to coffee but different. It is an aquired taste.

Glass
11th November 2010, 08:19 PM
"It's almost in a sense a naturopathic approach to cancer treatment and to me that's very exciting."

It's almost? Really? Shows how far current medicine has journeyed away from it's origins.

Still with all these new discoveries that are a couple thousand years old we might be getting somewhere. All we need to do is keep monsanto and friends out of the way.

So dandelions are now on my list. We have a flower down here in Oz that grows as a weed in summer and we call it a dandilion but it has a dark centre to the yellow petals. It's a lot like a daisy but only yellow. I wonder if it is ok to use? Ok so a quick search tells me these things I am talking about are probably not dandelions.

Bullion_Bob
11th November 2010, 08:40 PM
"It's almost in a sense a naturopathic approach to cancer treatment and to me that's very exciting."

So dandelions are now on my list. We have a flower down here in Oz that grows as a weed in summer and we call it a dandilion but it has a dark centre to the yellow petals. It's a lot like a daisy but only yellow. I wonder if it is ok to use? Ok so a quick search tells me these things I am talking about are probably not dandelions.

A 5lb bag of seed would probably cost under a dollar.

Glass
11th November 2010, 11:41 PM
turns out I've got these growing in the cracks in the pavement and elsewhere and I've been pulling them out. Are all dandelions usable I guess is my question? I'm happy to get into this but I don't want to be poisoning myself.

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/vro/vroimages.nsf/Images/sip_dandelion_plant/$File/dandelion_plant.jpg

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/vro/vroimages.nsf/Images/sip_dandelion_tic_tock/$File/dandelion_fruit.jpg

those are not my pics but an example of what grows around here.

Libertarian_Guard
12th November 2010, 01:33 AM
If this story is true, it would be among the BEST things I've read in my life. Lukemia is brutal. My dad died of lukemia, and he lived for a year with it, but only because he received 100 (pints?) infusions of blood. It is a brutal way to die. Doctors or lab techs know in a second if you have lukemia by looking at a drop of blood under the microscope.

RJB
12th November 2010, 04:57 AM
turns out I've got these growing in the cracks in the pavement and elsewhere and I've been pulling them out. Are all dandelions usable I guess is my question? I'm happy to get into this but I don't want to be poisoning myself.Based on the picture I'd say I'm 99% sure only because I don't like saying 100% when I haven't seen a plant up close. The scientific name is Taraxacum officinale, so look it up in a local guide, but dandelions are everywhere.

I usually only eat them in early spring and late winter. After they get a lot of sun they get very bitter (Dandelions were one of the "bitter herbs" the Hebrews ate at the original passover), so I don't know how they would taste in a warm enviroment.

RJB
12th November 2010, 05:03 AM
If this story is true, it would be among the BEST things I've read in my life. Lukemia is brutal. My dad died of lukemia, and he lived for a year with it, but only because he received 100 (pints?) infusions of blood. It is a brutal way to die. Doctors or lab techs know in a second if you have lukemia by looking at a drop of blood under the microscope.
You have my sympathy.

Cancer is best prevented than cured. Dandelions are best consumed while you are healthy.

Another good cancer treatment is Essiac, a tea made of 4 herbs, my favorite is burdock. Burdock is a wild edible that produces a root that easily makes a meal from 1 plant. I scatter plant them in my garden so it looks like a weed has over taken that section. That way when SHTF, I'll have a root vegetable/medicinal herb in my garden for winter eating, and most foragers would just see them as weeds.

Libertarian_Guard
12th November 2010, 05:11 AM
You have my sympathy.

Cancer is best prevented than cured. Dandelions are best consumed while you are healthy.

Another good cancer treatment is Essiac, a tea made of 4 herbs, my favorite is burdock. Burdock is a wild edible that produces a root that easily makes a meal from 1 plant. I scatter plant them in my garden so it looks like a weed has over taken that section. That way when SHTF, I'll have a root vegetable/medicinal herb in my garden for winter eating, and most foragers would just see them as weeds.

I am a bit odd about sympathy, never liked it directed in my direction, but I know you mean it in a good way, so I'll just say thanks.

Question? Is Burdock also sold as a tea?

Thanks

RJB
12th November 2010, 05:39 AM
I am a bit odd about sympathy, never liked it directed in my direction, but I know you mean it in a good way, so I'll just say thanks. I watched cancer take my grandfather, a WWII vet and the toughest man I knew. So I meant to say, I know something of what you went through.

Question? Is Burdock also sold as a tea? Yes at most health food stores, but the fresh root is much better. It tastes like carrots with a hint of bell pepper. The only problem is it turns black when oxidized.

gunDriller
12th November 2010, 07:00 AM
"In a quiet street in the Sheikh Jarrah district of occupied East Jerusalem 88-year-old Rifka al-Kurd is explaining how she came to live in the house she and her husband built as Palestinian refugees in the 1950s. As she speaks, three young ultra-orthodox Jewish settlers swagger in to stake their claim to the front part of the building, shouting abuse in Hebrew and broken Arabic: "Arab animals", "shut up, whore"."

from
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/nov/10/palestinians-poised-to-take-centre-stage

Zionism is a Cancer.

Maybe they could feed some Dandelion Tea to <excised> next time <excised> comes calling at the White House to complain about "the terrible injustices Israel suffers at the hands of the Palestinians."

Libertarian_Guard
12th November 2010, 07:09 AM
"In a quiet street in the Sheikh Jarrah district of occupied East Jerusalem 88-year-old Rifka al-Kurd is explaining how she came to live in the house she and her husband built as Palestinian refugees in the 1950s. As she speaks, three young ultra-orthodox Jewish settlers swagger in to stake their claim to the front part of the building, shouting abuse in Hebrew and broken Arabic: "Arab animals", "shut up, whore"."

from
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/nov/10/palestinians-poised-to-take-centre-stage

Zionism is a Cancer.

Maybe they could feed some Dandelion Tea to <excised> next time <excised> comes calling at the White House to complain about "the terrible injustices Israel suffers at the hands of the Palestinians."

Forgetaboutit!

You would need such a concentrated form, that it would not be liquid and therefore not a tea.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
12th November 2010, 11:26 AM
The Essiac formula is very powerful, thanks for suggesting it, everyday I find out more that I like about you : )

Now here's the trip, I can show you a book published in 1983 which has this info (about dandelions) in it. But we just couldn't believe that w/o the study could we?

Edit: Now that I think about it, Dandelions are part of the Tansy family. Almost every flower that comes from the tansy family is incredibly medicinal. I believe it's either the blue tansy or the idaho tansy which is one of the best herbals medicines for nerve problems. And like it was mentioned above, dandelions are one of the most nutritious plants in all of North America...

madfranks
12th November 2010, 12:37 PM
turns out I've got these growing in the cracks in the pavement and elsewhere and I've been pulling them out. Are all dandelions usable I guess is my question? I'm happy to get into this but I don't want to be poisoning myself.

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/vro/vroimages.nsf/Images/sip_dandelion_plant/$File/dandelion_plant.jpg

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/vro/vroimages.nsf/Images/sip_dandelion_tic_tock/$File/dandelion_fruit.jpg

those are not my pics but an example of what grows around here.

Dandelion leaves like the ones in that pic are great in a salad. I have a book on edible plants of the Rocky Mountains, and the dandelion is one of the top plants in the whole book.

Also, I doubt you'd get the medicinal effect from this, but here's a recipe for dandelion wine: http://www.texascooking.com/recipes/dandelionwine.htm

Buddha
19th November 2010, 05:03 PM
I also hear that Turmeric is good for stopping/preventing cancers.

Ponce
20th November 2010, 02:51 PM
Only to tell you that I wished that I have known about this two weeks ago, the last member, of what I would call my immediate family, just die last night of cancer.....my cat of fouteen years.....lots of dandlion in my backyard and I would have given it to her........... so close and yet so far.

MNeagle
20th November 2010, 06:12 PM
Only to tell you that I wished that I have known about this two weeks ago, the last member, of what I would call my immediate family, just die last night of cancer.....my cat of fouteen years.....lots of dandlion in my backyard and I would have given it to her........... so close and yet so far.

My sincere sympathies Ponce. :-[ It's always tough to lose a pet, they're like family in more ways than one.

Buddha
20th November 2010, 09:21 PM

My condolences Ponce.

Shami-Amourae
20th November 2010, 10:48 PM
I've been doing this (juicing dandelion greens and parsley) the past 2 days. Stuff is so disgusting, tastes like drinking grass juice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZws7VeUtds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8JsRZLtN5c

Neuro
20th November 2010, 11:42 PM
This is a tough year for you Ponce. Hang in there! My beloved grandmother, 88 years old, died last night also, but with a stroke...

Libertarian_Guard
21st November 2010, 04:50 AM
It's all good, dandelion , the burdock, the tumeric, but Red Clover is better.

Comming from someone that goes by the name "Old Herb Lady" ........ that must be good advice!

Ponce, sorry to hear about your cat. Be well.

Sparky
23rd November 2010, 02:05 PM

Sorry to hear about this Ponce. I know that this kitty was a great companion for you; I also have a cat that is very important to me. It's a sad loss.

jbeck57143
23rd November 2010, 06:03 PM
I've been doing this (juicing dandelion greens and parsley) the past 2 days. Stuff is so disgusting, tastes like drinking grass juice.

That video's from Tony Pantalleresco
If anyone's interested, I've uploaded some excerpts from his radio program on the Micro Effect ("The Remedy") to: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ljvrie

These all have something to do with cancer (some of them are also for other things as well)

I believe he also said something on one program about using raw milk for leukemia (raw milk has the same chemical composition as your blood)

Here's one of the remedies he talks about:

Vinegar-Cancer Remedy (Sept 22, 2008)
use vinegar as long as it's apple cider or red wine that you're making-combine with garlic, and use with baking soda
cancer remedy-2 tablespoons of vinegar to 2 ounces of water, 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 1/2-2 grams of arginine-mix the vinegar, arginine, and water first, stir it up, then add the baking soda, mix together, drink while foamy
-vinegar will make you more alkaline, especially combined with baking soda-it kills cancer because it alkalizes your alkaline levels above 8-when your dealing with something you want your alkalinity levels to go up, when you combine it with the baking soda, vinegar, the arginine, and water you create an anticancer formula that kills cancer-used in the early 1900s-cured 8 out of 10 cancers

horseshoe3
6th April 2011, 12:45 PM
Does the growth stage of the dandelion matter? Right now I've got florets in the yard. Should I dig them now, or wait until the yellow flower forms, or wait until they turn white and blow away?

Sandblaster
6th April 2011, 01:20 PM
Drank dandilion wine when I was a kid. Hung over and sick as a dog for two days. That's when I learned that NO sometimes really means NO.

Serpo
6th April 2011, 02:03 PM

dandelion hahaha

herbs are going to be illegal and if you are caught cutting dandelion from your lawn you will be arrested ,I repeat you will be arrested ;D

mick silver
6th April 2011, 04:10 PM
i may have to dig up a sassafrass root an make some tea . i have not done this for some time . thanks for being it up

vacuum
27th July 2011, 06:10 PM
Why was the original article removed?

http://www.windsorstar.com/health/Dandelion+sparks+promising+cancer+research+Univers ity+Windsor/3803552/story.html

JDRock
27th July 2011, 06:43 PM

http://www.windsorstar.com/health/Dandelion+sparks+promising+cancer+research+Univers ity+Windsor/3803552/story.html
big pharma.....

Cebu_4_2
27th July 2011, 06:49 PM
A dandelion is pretty much a dandelion, my grandparents and aunts etc used to always make salad with it. Slightly bitter to me but tasted good. Any gatherings during growing season would include it either by itself or in a mix of regular salad with toppings. Never tried the tea from the root though.

joboo
27th July 2011, 09:37 PM
Probably better than heating the crap out everything to make tea, it to just take the whole plant flowers, leaves, stem, root and all, and throw it in the juicer.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
27th July 2011, 11:02 PM
Never tried the tea from the root though.

The root, roasted, then diced and steeped in hot water, is supposed to be a pretty decent caffeine-free replacement for coffee. The body receives a lot of water soluble vitamins from the tea.

Probably better than heating the crap out everything to make tea, it to just take the whole plant flowers, leaves, stem, root and all, and throw it in the juicer.

That's wise, too.

Third method of taking it could be a small bottle, a food grade extract of the plant:

T I M E -------->
http://simplyrecipes.com/photos/vanilla-extract.jpg

nunaem
4th September 2011, 05:29 PM
I think this is a good deal for dandelion root: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AYEHGQ/

I'm buying some for its diuretic properties, I'll let you all know how that works out.

MAGNES
4th September 2011, 05:48 PM
These are a European staple, grew up on them, lol, make sure there's
no dog pee on them, wash, boil, olive oil, lemon, sea salt, mmmmm,
there was a key thread on gim long ago that woke people up to this
weed and the possibilities mother nature gave us, this is one of the best
edible green plants you can consume, search online for more.

I miss RJB, left without saying bye long ago, if you are reading don't be
a stranger.

hoarder
4th September 2011, 06:50 PM
I pour a little of this stuff in boiling water sometimes http://www.simply-natural.biz/Dandelion_Concen.php It tastes good. It's thicker than honey.
Same supplier has Magnesium Chloride, which is better than epsom salts for soaking injured feet. http://www.simply-natural.biz/Nigari.php

chud
4th September 2011, 09:58 PM

It's a good thing Ares copied the text of the story into his original post. Thanks Ares. Looks like they took the story down for some reason. Hmmm...