PDA

View Full Version : Optics

Rip Van Winkle
13th November 2010, 09:47 AM
there was a thread at the old gim about the Celestron SkyMaster 20x80 Binoculars. Wondered what people thought of them if you ended up ordering it? I remember the guy with the gieger counter in his avatar was hot on them.

Rebel Yarr
13th November 2010, 10:10 AM
I'd go read the reviews on Optics Planet - I picked up something similar - they are okay.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
13th November 2010, 12:23 PM
I have been looking for a small piece of powerful optics. Preferably something that uses only one eye, and works without electricity. Stronger and more compact than a telescope. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Gaillo
13th November 2010, 12:31 PM
I'm a BIG TIME optics fan/affectionado - and if there's ONE THING I've learned about optics, it is this:
With VERY, VERY few exceptions, you get what you pay for... If you want a decent pair of binoculars, plan on spending a MINIMUM of $400. I'm personally a Nikon and Leica guy when it comes to optics, I find that Nikon gives you the most "bang for the buck", while Leica gives you the most "bang" period - if you can afford it.

willie pete
13th November 2010, 12:39 PM
I have been looking for a small piece of powerful optics. Preferably something that uses only one eye, and works without electricity. Stronger and more compact than a telescope. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

yea, I think so....I saw one on Star Trek one time; but I forgot the name of it :D

Gaillo
13th November 2010, 01:04 PM

Microscope.

Check your local University for a "property redistribution" department, if they have one... They often have used top-quality (although slightly out of date) equipment for great prices. I picked up an Ernst Leitz Wetzlar (German made) stereo-eyepiece lab microscope with eyepieces that go up to 1,000x, slide stage W/micrometers, and polarized light source for $450 a few years ago. It cost over $8,000 when the University bought it new.

hoarder
13th November 2010, 07:37 PM
Like many outdoorsmen in the west, I have a "binoculars drawer". A binoculars drawer is where you store all those binoculars you purchased over the years and hated after using a couple days. Unlike rifle scopes, you can't attach them to a rifle you sell.
Buying optics is a long and expensive lesson.
As stated by Gaillo, read reviews. When reading reviews, disregard all the 5 star comments...nothing to learn from them.

As your eyes age, the need for quality optics increases.

For hunting, buy armored binos. Otherwise, when you shoulder your rifle you will hear a loud clunk as the prey you were about to shoot runs for cover.
Buy the aftermarket elastic shoulder straps, it saves neck fatigue and doesn't let the binos thump you in the abdomen with each step. I didn't think I'd like them but now I love them.

skid
13th November 2010, 07:49 PM
I like Zeiss binoculars myself. If I had the money I'd go with the Zeiss gyro stabilized 20 power which can be hand held. Any other 20 power needs to be on a tripod for stability unless you have a super steady hand...

Dogman
13th November 2010, 07:52 PM

Monocular Telescopes

skid
13th November 2010, 08:06 PM

An 80 power spotting scope would work well. http://www.zeiss.com/sports Check out the Zeiss website...