PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul introduced the American Traveler Dignity Act (HR 6416)

sunshine05
17th November 2010, 04:18 PM
http://paul.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1796&Itemid=60

Introducing the American Traveler Dignity Act

Mr. Speaker, today I introduce legislation to protect Americans from physical and emotional abuse by federal Transportation Security Administration employees conducting screenings at the nation’s airports. We have seen the videos of terrified children being grabbed and probed by airport screeners. We have read the stories of Americans being subjected to humiliating body imaging machines and/or forced to have the most intimate parts of their bodies poked and fondled. We do not know the potentially harmful effects of the radiation emitted by the new millimeter wave machines.

In one recent well-publicized case, a TSA official is recorded during an attempted body search saying, “By buying your ticket you gave up a lot of rights.” I strongly disagree and am sure I am not alone in believing that we Americans should never give up our rights in order to travel. As our Declaration of Independence states, our rights are inalienable. This TSA version of our rights looks more like the “rights” granted in the old Soviet Constitutions, where freedoms were granted to Soviet citizens -- right up to the moment the state decided to remove those freedoms.

The incident of the so-called “underwear bomber” last Christmas is given as justification for the billions of dollars the federal government is spending on the new full-body imaging machines, but a Government Accountability Office study earlier this year concluded that had these scanners been in use they may not have detected the explosive material that was allegedly brought onto the airplane. Additionally, there have been recent press reports calling into question the accuracy and adequacy of these potentially dangerous machines.

My legislation is simple. It establishes that airport security screeners are not immune from any US law regarding physical contact with another person, making images of another person, or causing physical harm through the use of radiation-emitting machinery on another person. It means they are subject to the same laws as the rest of us.

Imagine if the political elites in our country were forced to endure the same conditions at the airport as business travelers, families, senior citizens, and the rest of us. Perhaps this problem could be quickly resolved if every cabinet secretary, every member of Congress, and every department head in the Obama administration were forced to submit to the same degrading screening process as the people who pay their salaries.

I warned at the time of the creation of the TSA that an unaccountable government entity in control of airport security would provide neither security nor defend our basic freedom to travel. Yet the vast majority of both Republicans and Democrats then in Congress willingly voted to create another unaccountable, bullying agency-- in a simple-minded and unprincipled attempt to appease public passion in the wake of 9-11. Sadly, as we see with the steady TSA encroachment on our freedom and dignity, my fears in 2001 were justified.

The solution to the need for security at US airports is not a government bureaucracy. The solution is to allow the private sector, preferably the airlines themselves, to provide for the security of their property. As a recent article in Forbes magazine eloquently stated, “The airlines have enormous sums of money riding on passenger safety, and the notion that a government bureaucracy has better incentives to provide safe travels than airlines with billions of dollars worth of capital and goodwill on the line strains credibility.” In the meantime, I hope we can pass this legislation and protect Americans from harm and humiliation when they choose to travel.

osoab
17th November 2010, 04:21 PM
Easier solution would be to defund the TSA.

sunshine05
17th November 2010, 04:27 PM

I think it would be next to impossible for that to pass though, unfortunately.

osoab
17th November 2010, 04:43 PM
I think it would be next to impossible for that to pass though, unfortunately.

Doesn't matter. Your are just giving recognition to an agency that defies any ideas of freedom.
I will go with what Archie Bunker says. Give every passenger a gun if they want it. :D

Dump the whole damn agency.

Well, we could go this route.

Mica: Let airports hire private security screeners
(http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-11-16/business/os-mica-tsa-opt-out-20101116_1_body-scanners-tsa-officers-small-airports)

Amid growing national protests about the U.S. Transportation Security Administration's use of body scanners and intrusive pat-downs of passengers at airport security checkpoints, U.S. Rep. John Mica has urged airports to consider switching to private security to screen passengers.

Mica, a Republican from Winter Park in line to become chairman of the powerful House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee in January, did not mention the scanner controversy, which has prompted passenger groups to threaten mass resistance at airports during the busy Thanksgiving travel season.

Instead, his letter on transportation committee stationery reflected his broader concern about the size and efficiency of the TSA, a 67,000-employee agency that Mica said is unwieldy, bureaucratic and inefficient.

Mica sent the letter, dated Nov. 5, to officials at scores of airports around the country, including Orlando International, suggesting they consider switching to private security.

And some are.

On Monday, Phil Brown, executive director of the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority, sent a memo to GOAA board members saying his office is reviewing the possibility, and will discuss it with the board at the Dec. 8 meeting.

Orlando-Sanford International Airport already has taken steps toward switching, though it could be a year or more before TSA officials might be replaced by private contractors, said airport President Larry Dale.

Mica's letter, and a similar one he sent specifically to Orlando International in August, expresses alarm at the size and scope of the TSA, which was created under a 2001 law that he helped write in the wake of the 9/11 terrorist hijackings. He states that the law specifically provides for airports to opt out of TSA inspections, and 17 have done so, including San Francisco, Kansas City and 15 small airports such as Key West.

While airports can opt for private screeners, the TSA would actually hire, oversee and pay for them. The difference, Mica contends, can be in performance and customer service.

Hmmm. So we can have private screeners that are hiree, overseen and payed by the TSA? How in the hell does that not make them TSA goons?

I did catch this @ The TSA Blog (http://blog.tsa.gov/2009/10/grenades-refresher-course-on-checkpoint.html).

Grenades: A Refresher Course on Checkpoint Etiquette

Last July, Blogger Bob wrote a post: “Can I Take my Hand Grenade on the Plane?’ Some wondered aloud if we had to state such an obvious thing, because seriously, who would think they could take a grenade on a plane?

Well…

Over the weekend, a grenade was found in a passenger’s carry-on bag in Phoenix. At first, the passenger said he didn’t know the grenade was in his bag. Then he said he left it unattended curbside and someone could have put it in there. Later, while talking to law enforcement officers, he admitted it was given to him by his grandfather from WWII.

There’s been quite a few reports of grenades found at checkpoints lately, so I did some research to find out just how many had been caught by officers since Blogger Bob’s July post. The answer: 21.

Of the other 20 or so hand grenades found, here are some highlights:

One was found hidden in a stuffed animal. The passenger said the stuffed animal was a gift and had no idea anything was hidden in it. Talk about the gift that keeps on giving…

One was the popular gag-gift plaque that says: “Complaint Department: Take a Number.” Problem is, in the X-ray, the most notable part of the image is - you guessed it - the grenade.

A Pittsburgh passenger who packed an inert hand grenade in his bag as a present for his son said he has never flown before and had no idea he couldn’t take the inert grenade on the plane.

A law enforcement officer from Canada visiting the US for a convention had a pepper spray grenade, flash bang grenade and a smoke grenade in his bag.

Now, did any of these need an x-ray machine? I really don't think so. A simple metal detector would have found these.
I still can't believe that 21 "grenades" were confiscated, though.

Also, why in the hell does the TSA have a damn blog. We pay these dipwads to sit and blog?

Libertytree
17th November 2010, 04:56 PM
I would have felt a whole lot better if RP had demanded the disbanding of the TSA and not just another piece of legislation to control it. :-[

k-os
17th November 2010, 05:01 PM
God bless Ron Paul. I always want to give him a big hug.

learn2swim
17th November 2010, 05:13 PM
Ron Paul is the man! Of course, he can't please everyone. It would nice to shut the TSA down, but what's the chance that's gonna happen?

Libertytree
17th November 2010, 05:16 PM
I'm an RP guy and at first, and still a little I was bummed but I watched this and am feeling better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-N5adYM7Kw&feature=player_embedded

mightymanx
17th November 2010, 05:21 PM
I agree with de-funding the TSA, but I am also a realist and unfortunately bureaucracy is like matter once created it cannot be destroyed merely displaced.

Libertytree
17th November 2010, 05:31 PM
At this hour most of the critters have left the building and the things being said never see the light of day.

MAGNES
17th November 2010, 05:32 PM
I'm an RP guy and at first, and still a little I was bummed but I watched this and am feeling better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-N5adYM7Kw&feature=player_embedded

f*ckEN RIGHT ON !

Names the Chertoff pig, fingers the NeoCon scum that planned all this including 9/11.

" American people are cattle " Ron Paul

Almost all instances were false flags, last few were done by 70 IQ retarded blacks.
The key event, the "detroit christmas bomber" even had a handler that was documented.
All the "law makers" know this and are going along.

TSA, my understanding is they can be kicked out of airports, up to the States, etc.
So that means local grass roots politicians can destroy them on state by state basis.

Also, all Israeli security companies need to be removed from airports, they
are the real terrorits, they let 9/11 happen at the least.

" YES YOU ARE CATTLE ", RP had the NeoCons fingered long ago. Named point man now.

" giving people cancer " too.

MUST READING.
http://www.bollyn.com/index.php
Save it , very easy too, save a few pages
in firefox, each page is year worth of articles,
all the connect the dots is key.

The TSA , is a symptom of the real problem.

willie pete
17th November 2010, 05:33 PM
Heard something today about the tsa, with 67,000 +/- employees and 4000 of those working in and around D.C., several hundred of those make over $100k a year :D

sunshine05
17th November 2010, 05:38 PM
One of his best speeches ever!

Libertytree
17th November 2010, 05:41 PM
It made my day that he named Chertoff specifically and he outright called Americans "cattle" ie sheep. Yeah, I wish he would have said to dissolve the TSA but all is good.

sunshine05
17th November 2010, 05:51 PM
It made my day that he named Chertoff specifically and he outright called Americans "cattle" ie sheep. Yeah, I wish he would have said to dissolve the TSA but all is good.

Yeah, but he did say that they never should have been formed to begin with. Just think if we didn't have him in congress. We would not be hearing a peep out of the rest of them. At least there is one person standing up for us there.

zap
17th November 2010, 06:07 PM
Ron Paul gives all these speeches and I agree with him, he is a Congressman right?

But nothing ever changes he talks and talks, we agree and nothing changes, pisses me off.

Book
17th November 2010, 06:14 PM
http://theboldsoul.lisataylorhuff.com/the_bold_soul/images/farside_sheep1_1.jpg

A little late in the game Ron. If the C-Span camera panned the room it would reveal that nobody was even there listening to him.

:oo-->

sirgonzo420
17th November 2010, 06:24 PM

I know what you mean. I've met him once before and I my impression is that he is genuine and is doing as much as he can do for the people without getting himself killed.

mightymanx
17th November 2010, 06:24 PM
Not that I think it's going to do a damn bit of good. But I can't remain silent in public and bitch on the internet.

Dear Congressman Dicks;

I am writing to strongly urge you to Co-sponsor Representative Ron Paul’s bill HR 6416

Terrorists have won their war against us, if I have to tell my three year old daughter that “The TSA person with the badge is going to touch you in the “no zone’ because we are going on an airplane trip.”

As a parent and a member of the US Military for over 19 years, I find how America is now treating its Citizens in the name of security disgusting and disgraceful. Why have we been fighting for “freedom” when we are treating the Citizens of this country as potential terrorists that have no rights?

Thomas Jefferson once said: "Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." Has this country truly digressed to tactics that are reminiscent of the days where people lived behind the “Iron Curtain”?

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. " This is also a quote from Thomas Jefferson warning us not to acquiesces and allow the types of behaviors in government that the TSA is currently doing under our watch.
Sir we both swore oaths to defend the rights of United States Citizens. It is time for people who swore to protect Citizens rights to step up and do so. So Congressman I implore you to support HR 6416 and not allow those who committed 9/11 to win by destroying the American way of life.

Signed me

sirgonzo420
17th November 2010, 06:27 PM
Ron Paul gives all these speeches and I agree with him, he is a Congressman right?

But nothing ever changes he talks and talks, we agree and nothing changes, pisses me off.

He is just one man in the House.... he is very limited in power.

Ron Paul is kinda like the "Rudolf the Red-nosed Reindeer" of Congress... they try to exclude him from their reindeer games, and make fun of him. But if people paid attention to him, he would lead the way back to Liberty.

His son Rand just got elected Senator.... Rand, as one man in the Senate, will have a lot more ability to stop further tyranny.

But yeah, nothing changes.... but it's politics; that's the idea, right?

ximmy
17th November 2010, 06:29 PM

I just watched the video.. I agree, I wish there were more men like Ron Paul and Alan Grayson... They are fearless ...

Dogman
17th November 2010, 06:31 PM

He is one against many, and because of that he can bring up points and issues but unless the rest of the critters up in Washington
start actually doing something. All they do is talk the talk but not walk the walk , except to run for reelection from the time they are
elected.

Libertytree
17th November 2010, 06:38 PM
Real, tangible changes must come from us, a thousand or a million arrows with a focus. It's great to have someone like RP saying alot of what we are feeling and deep down I think he thinks many of the mega radical thoughts we dare not speak of either, at least not on the net or in questionable earshot.

If 25% of Congress were made up of RP's we'd have a fighting chance but my hope in that happening was spent a loooong time ago.

It's the things we dare not speak of that will get results, the rest of it is wasted breath and time.

sirgonzo420
17th November 2010, 06:41 PM
Real, tangible changes must come from us, a thousand or a million arrows with a focus. It's great to have someone like RP saying alot of what we are feeling and deep down I think he thinks many of the mega radical thoughts we dare not speak of either, at least not on the net or in questionable earshot.

If 25% of Congress were made up of RP's we'd have a fighting chance but my hope in that happening was spent a loooong time ago.

It's the things we dare not speak of that will get results, the rest of it is wasted breath and time.

I'd thank your post, but ya know... don't want DHS kicking in my door...

>:(

The Truth is a dangerous thing.

I still have faith that things will unfold as they should...

EDIT: aw, fuck it, I'll thank it anyway! ;D ;D

Libertytree
17th November 2010, 06:56 PM
Good to see the Gonz ain't a boot licker ;D

Truth is scary.

sunshine05
18th November 2010, 08:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JMdRXh6Lsc&feature=player_embedded

Chertoff is mentioned again!

mick silver
18th November 2010, 09:30 AM
i think alot of ron paul but nothing will come of this till he names names . like soros an few otheres

Book
18th November 2010, 09:36 AM
His son Rand just got elected Senator.... Rand, as one man in the Senate, will have a lot more ability to stop further tyranny.

http://israelmatzav.blogspot.com/2010/04/rand-paul-distancing-himself-from-his.html

Rand Paul kissed every jew ass in Israel to get elected. He gonna now suddenly stop the zio-tyranny over Gaza?

sirgonzo420
18th November 2010, 09:52 AM

http://israelmatzav.blogspot.com/2010/04/rand-paul-distancing-himself-from-his.html

Rand Paul kissed every jew ass in Israel to get elected. He gonna now suddenly stop the zio-tyranny over Gaza?

LOL at your exaggeration.

What he was doing was called "campaigning". He had to say certain things to get elected. Now that he is elected, he no longer has to pander. Rand Paul will vote against any attempt to fund Israel in any way.

Why are you so concerned about Gaza?

Are you a palestinian? If not, seriously, why do you care soooo much? It's not like there aren't millions upon millions of other oppressed peoples around the globe, why just cry for the palestinians?

I sympathize with the palestinians, because they are being terrorized by the same people we are, but I don't stay up at night worrying about them.

Besides, why does the USA have to be the world police, book?

Why would you even want a world police?

mike88
18th November 2010, 10:40 AM
disband it and go private. I am writing my airlines i have used [ALASKA, UNITED] and informing them i will be a driver until this agency is gone. If the airlines wish to institute security measures, fine, the ones with the most efficient and least intrusive will become the clear winners. Imagine on time takeoff, decreased theft from baggage, and no standing around for hours at the airport waiting for the semi morons currently conducting security theater. I remember when there was a smoking area, basically as much as you wanted to drink, and a free meal if wanted on flights. Flying was fun and desireable. The elected officials we tolerate[and the dull appointed beuracrats we don't ] wish to sap all the joy out of life, shaping the world into their narrow myopic. vision.

Twisted Titan
18th November 2010, 10:45 AM
I would have felt a whole lot better if RP had demanded the disbanding of the TSA and not just another piece of legislation to control it. :-[

DING!!! DING!!!! DING!!!! DING!!!! DING!!!! DING!!!!! DING!!!!! DING!!!!! DING!!!!! DING!!!!DING!!!!!

No matter which way the ball bounces the size of gubbermint and the control over the common person is increased.

T

Libertarian_Guard
18th November 2010, 12:12 PM

LOL at your exaggeration.

What he was doing was called "campaigning". He had to say certain things to get elected. Now that he is elected, he no longer has to pander. Rand Paul will vote against any attempt to fund Israel in any way.

Why are you so concerned about Gaza?

Are you a palestinian? If not, seriously, why do you care soooo much? It's not like there aren't millions upon millions of other oppressed peoples around the globe, why just cry for the palestinians?

I sympathize with the palestinians, because they are being terrorized by the same people we are, but I don't stay up at night worrying about them.

Besides, why does the USA have to be the world police, book?

Why would you even want a world police?

I am not speaking for anyone else, but, this is the best argument against zionism, they can't defend their mistreatment of the Palestinians. It's a land grab. And these same fvcks are calling too many shots here, we need to call them out for what they are!