PDA

View Full Version : TSA Backlash continues - Sanford Airport to opt out of TSA screening

Ares
18th November 2010, 06:37 AM
The backlash continues over those new TSA screening measures, and now one Central Florida airport has decided to go with a private security screening firm.

Orlando Sanford International Airport has decided to opt out from TSA screening.

"All of our due diligence shows it's the way to go," said Larry Dale, the director of the Sanford Airport Authority. "You're going to get better service at a better price and more accountability and better customer service."

Dale says he will be sending a letter requesting to opt out from TSA screening, and instead the airport will choose one of the five approved private screening companies to take over.

Congressman John Mica, who's expected to lead the powerful Transportation Committee next year, says the TSA is crying out for reform.

"I think TSA is overstepping its bounds," said Mica.

Dale says, if all goes as planned, the private security firm could take over in about 12 months.

http://wdbo.com/localnews/2010/11/sanford-airport-to-opt-out-of.html

horseshoe3
18th November 2010, 06:42 AM
I have a question about the opt out.

Are the private security services required to use the same machines and techniques? If so, I don't see how they could be much better. Maybe a little more polite about fondling and leering at your daughter, but that's small consolation.

Filthy Keynes
18th November 2010, 06:42 AM
Wow, imagine that. Private Enterprise beats Government Goons. Who would-a-thunk-it?!

sunshine05
18th November 2010, 06:46 AM
I have a question about the opt out.

Are the private security services required to use the same machines and techniques? If so, I don't see how they could be much better. Maybe a little more polite about fondling and leering at your daughter, but that's small consolation.

I'll bet it's the old style of simply walking through a metal detector but time will tell.

BrewTech
18th November 2010, 06:48 AM
Wow, imagine that. Private Enterprise beats Government Goons. Who would-a-thunk-it?!

Dale says he will be sending a letter requesting to opt out from TSA screening, and instead the airport will choose one of the five approved private screening companies to take over.

Yeah, I'm sure these "private" companies are going to be MUCH better.

Any thoughts on what it takes to get on the APPROVED list?

LOL.

horseshoe3
18th November 2010, 06:54 AM
I will say this about the private company I dealt with at KC last year. They were polite, but not quite friendly. "Professional behavior" would be the phrase I would use. They treated us like humans, not cattle. They acted like their goal was to screen for threats and help the passengers have a safe and uneventful flight. Uneventful both in the air AND in the security line. It was almost surreal after getting used to the power tripping goons from TSA.

Of course this was last year. Before all the new machines and regulations came online. I don't know what they would be like today.

Twisted Titan
18th November 2010, 07:40 AM
I will wager a Three Mercury Dimes that TSA lays off the groping because the Holiday aka Commercer season is on us.

Soon as the New Year is over it will be stepped up agressively

T

mick silver
18th November 2010, 07:52 AM
this will not stop .... too many people in high place own stock in the company that make this stuff

Book
18th November 2010, 08:01 AM
TSA lays off the groping because the Holiday aka Commerce season is on us.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~elkridge/Community_files/87%20kid%20on%20santa%20lap.jpg

Let Santa do the groping for awhile.

:oo-->