PDA

View Full Version : stocks

mick silver
18th November 2010, 07:42 AM
i am not good at this , but how can gm stock sell for more then ford stocks . i just dont see how gm can be saling for over 35 bucks when ford stock is under 4 bucks .... have i miss something here

Spectrism
18th November 2010, 07:53 AM
i am not good at this , but how can gm stock sell for more then ford stocks . i just dont see how gm can be saling for over 35 bucks when ford stock is under 4 bucks .... have i miss something here

Stock price ultimately depends on perceived value. This is tied in with anticipated future value and in some part on anticipated future earnings.

BUT- the number of shares of stock underlying the overall value of the company will determine the cost per share. If they issue too many shares, the price drops. Right now they are trying to issue as many shares as they can to reap the biggest return.

mick silver
18th November 2010, 07:58 AM
but gm as a company still sucks . an we own the company . an they own over 100 billion . plus didnt they crash there own stocks a couple of years ago when the company went down

mick silver
18th November 2010, 08:05 AM
what i am trying to understand is why in hell would anyone want there stocks after they loss all there value a couple of years ago after the gov bail them out

Sparky
18th November 2010, 08:08 AM
There are 478 million shares of GM being offered at $35, for a market capitalization of $16B.

There are 3.3 billion shares of Ford at $16, for a market capitalization of $56B.

By this metric, Ford is valued at about 3.5x GM.

G2Rad
18th November 2010, 08:11 AM
here is another "puzzle"

how a company that owns 4,000,000 oz of gold could have $40 millions market cap?

the gold in the ground is as safe as the gold in the vault of gold ETF

yet that gold costs only $10 per oz

Ash_Williams
18th November 2010, 09:29 AM
here is another "puzzle"

how a company that owns 4,000,000 oz of gold could have $40 millions market cap?

the gold in the ground is as safe as the gold in the vault of gold ETF

yet that gold costs only $10 per oz

Mining costs around $400/oz and rising.
Uncertainty as to the actual amount of gold under the ground.
Uncertainty as to whether it will all come out of the ground.
Uncertainty as to the future price of gold when it finally comes out of the ground.

G2Rad
18th November 2010, 10:24 AM
Uncertainty as to the actual amount of gold under the ground in the vault.
Uncertainty as to whether it will all come out of the ground of the vault.
Uncertainty as to the future price of gold when it finally comes out of the ground of the vault.

Ash,

the ETFs ain't free from those uncertainties either

who have seen the actual gold?

JDRock
18th November 2010, 01:01 PM
There are 478 million shares of GM being offered at $35, for a market capitalization of $16B.

There are 3.3 billion shares of Ford at $16, for a market capitalization of $56B.

By this metric, Ford is valued at about 3.5x GM.

spot on my man! i wouldnt touch gm! the gov owns alot of it ,hense the manipulated price...when they cash out itll tank again.