PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Shotguns - RE: Pistol grip pumps

Awoke
18th November 2010, 10:55 AM
I have tricked out my shotty and it's about as tactical as it gets. The only other addition I was considering was adding a pistol foregrip on the pump action.

I was in a shop and just about to buy one when some guy struck up a conversation with me and talked me out of it. Later on I took the gun to the range in a rain storm, and I was slipping all over the place once it was wet.

Same goes for my wife. I regreted not purchasing the pistol pump grip right then.

Anways, anyone use them? Care to share some opinions on them please?

SLV^GLD
18th November 2010, 12:00 PM
Is anyone aware of any legal BATFE restrictions on their use?

Awoke
18th November 2010, 12:07 PM
In Canada they are an "over-the-counter" upgrade. No legal restrictions.

AOW
18th November 2010, 02:20 PM
I used to frequent another forum where a former leo posted and he made what I thought was a pretty good argument against a pistol grip on a shotgun. He pointed out that in a situation where you have someone at gunpoint covered or whatever, a pistol grip wouldn't allow you to one-hand the shotty and keep it pointed as you dialed your phone with the other where a stock under your armpit would free up your other hand. I guess if you had your pistol grip shotty on a sling that could hold it up and you could use your off hand to do whatever.

SLV^GLD
18th November 2010, 02:59 PM
After shooting my 870 with folding stock in pistol grip mode numerous times I opted to discard that stock and use a Knoxx adjustable dampening stock and never looked back. Dropped into shorter than average LOP it is quite versatile in tight spaces and is a better weapon all the way around than the folding stock version.

IMHO a pistol grip is practically useless but a pistol grip on the foreend however, I could see some serious advantages to and very little disadvantage.

mightymanx
18th November 2010, 04:24 PM
Best of all worlds

Ebay has sellers that sell the plastic of your pump remolded with rails on left right and bottom. and it is priced cheap as hell for gun stuff.

You then take your plastic pump grip off your metal factory pump arm.

Then you can put any foregrip you want and it also puts spots to mount lights etc.

If you don't like the fore grip where it is at you can move it forward and back till you do.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOSSBERG-500-590-SHOTGUN-TRI-RAIL-WEAVER-FRONT-FOREND-/390263324253?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5add81be5d

Yes I have done this several times and yes it is chinese plastic but the metal part of your pump is what counts and you get to keep the factory piece in place.

hoarder
18th November 2010, 04:40 PM
If it says "tactical", I won't buy it.

Heimdhal
18th November 2010, 04:47 PM
I put a pistol grip with an adjustable stock on my shotty once. Took it off in about 10 minutes. Could have been the particular brand, but I just couldnt get a good cheek weld on it, couldnt line up the sights properly with it and I just didnt like the feel.

Now, Im all for pistol grips, believe me, but I've never had a problem with the traditional stock on my mossberg so why change it.

I wouldnt mind a different kind of grip on the slide, since Im a short guy, the pump is kinda out there for me.

Awoke
19th November 2010, 12:47 AM
I run a Knoxx stock, which is pistol grip with adjustable shoulder piece.

I am happy with the gun, and the set up, and I am looking specifically for experiences with the pistol or vertical grip on the Pump action only.

SLV^GLD
19th November 2010, 05:26 AM
Thanks, Awoke, for the clarification. This thread is getting mired in terminology confusion.

When someone says pistol grip for a shotgun I think cruiser style:
http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/9/95/Remington870Pstlgrip.jpg/400px-Remington870Pstlgrip.jpg

The Knoxx stock IS a pistol grip with an adjustable shoulder stock:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/49917/gunstuff/870Knoxx01.jpg
My apologies for not classifying this as a pistol grip when it is.

Awoke is referring to this style of pistol grip on the pump but I have no idea what is happening on the butt end of the weapon:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/fatcat/P9040151.jpg

Awoke
19th November 2010, 05:56 AM
Thanks, Awoke, for the clarification. This thread is getting mired in terminology confusion.

Right. This is what I have:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/49917/gunstuff/870Knoxx01.jpg

This foregrip on the pump action is what I am asking about:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/fievel1320/my%20fire%20arms/CIMG2258.jpg

midnight rambler
19th November 2010, 10:27 AM
I used to frequent another forum where a former leo posted and he made what I thought was a pretty good argument against a pistol grip on a shotgun. He pointed out that in a situation where you have someone at gunpoint covered or whatever, a pistol grip wouldn't allow you to one-hand the shotty and keep it pointed as you dialed your phone with the other where a stock under your armpit would free up your other hand. I guess if you had your pistol grip shotty on a sling that could hold it up and you could use your off hand to do whatever.

Actually a pistol grip on a full length shotgun facilitates one handed use much better than a conventional field stock. Due to the angle one has much better leverage to hold the shotgun horizontal.

Awoke
20th November 2010, 05:32 PM
Single handed manipulation is as easy as pie with the pistol grip and shoulder stock set-up.

Rebel Yarr
20th November 2010, 09:07 PM
Pistol grip pump - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHXZdDIkwWI

Awoke
22nd November 2010, 06:26 AM
Youtube is blocked here, but I am familiar with teh pistol grip pump. I am asking if anyone has used it, how does it feel, how does it perform, etc.

Heimdhal
22nd November 2010, 06:28 AM
Youtube is blocked here, but I am familiar with teh pistol grip pump. I am asking if anyone has used it, how does it feel, how does it perform, etc.

Pistol grip without the stock puts a beating on your wrist and is a little harder to aim. Ive shot a few and didnt enjoy the experience outside of the "ramboness" of it and I usualy enjoy shooting my shotties. I like stocks, some people dont.

Rebel Yarr
22nd November 2010, 09:13 AM

It was just an old Rage song - pistol grip pump!!

I would agree that a pistol grip pump - without the stock can be tough on the wrist - but it isn't that bad and makes for a good overall length. The problem with "stock-less" shotguns that I have - is the barrel length - not real practical for what a "stock-less" shotgun is trying to be. My state won't allow short barrel shotgun's - so, a stock-less shotgun without a 10" barrel doesn't make sense. But I 100% agree on the pistol grip shotgun with a stock as well - have a pistol grip on any non-hunting specific firearm is the way to go.

Your initial post is on the vertical foregrip - which a lot of folks seem to be confused on the dif. Pistol grip = rear grip - vertical fore grip = front. I'd say no on the vert grip for a pump shotty. I would however look into the Houge foregrip - beats all other options for a pump IMO.

The reasonings against a vert grip on the fore grip - for me - are:

- Not as good of a grip for smacking someone with the butt - can't put your hand around the barrlel
- Not as fluid of a motion - especially on a pump with loose action - pump is all about smooth/fluid action and cycling

Here is the hogue "Overmold" http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Rubber-Overmolded-Mossberg-Pistol/dp/B0010KHNTA

SLV^GLD
22nd November 2010, 10:10 AM
Vertical Fore Grip; thanks for the right term! :-*

I've never tried a vertical fore grip but I did replace the stock fore grip on my 870 with the one that comes with the Knoxx Spec Ops stock. It's nothing special but it provides considerably more purchase not only with ribbing but also by extending the length all the way past the bottom of the chamber (it is cut to fit around the ejection port and throated for the feed slot). This not only shortens LOP but gives more room for slippage and for panic grabs.

I have no doubts the Hogue offers even more functionality but I figured I'd use the "freebie" that came with the stock I'd bought. It includes threads for mounting a light although if I upgrade to a light I'd get the Surefire fore grip that is designed to accept its sibling light.

One thing to note about fore grip upgrades is that they may interfere with side saddles that mount to the side of the receiver, the Knoxx one sure does. A vertical fore grip should not cause that issue.