PDA

View Full Version : Need Parent's kid-friendly recipes!

MNeagle
22nd November 2010, 10:04 AM
O.K. I need some help here. I'm looking for recipes that kids will eat!

I'm tired of trying recipes that they refuse to touch or even try. It's just a huge waste of time/energy/money.

Bring 'em on please!!!

Thank you.

Dogman
22nd November 2010, 10:13 AM
O.K. I need some help here. I'm looking for recipes that kids will eat!

I'm tired of trying recipes that they refuse to touch or even try. It's just a huge waste of time/energy/money.

Bring 'em on please!!!

Thank you.

Not to sound stupid but have you asked the kids what they like and build from there?
If they are your kids, you already have a clue of what works or not, Can get sneeky to slip in healthy stuff but you do not give enough info, if it is a live in problem, is one thing , outside another.

Heimdhal
22nd November 2010, 10:17 AM
best recipe there is is to tell em "you eat what everyone eats or you dont eat at all" and stick to it. They wont starve, as much as it might pain you to see them go to bed hungry a night or two, theyll survive.

Other than that, figure out what kind of ingredients and textures your kid likes. Most of a childs bad eating habbits come from, first and foremost reinforcment by the parent. The "fine, eat w/e you want" give in. The second is of course being used to only eating certain ingredient and most importantly, certain textures and aesthetics.

Everyone eats with their eyes first. Then their nose, and then finaly their mouths where taste and texture (feeling) are combined. It is the same process for everyone without a physical limitation of one of their senses.

As for recipes.... Try something like Shephards pie. It has a full range of foods in it, is visual appealing (generaly) and will get them to eat a variety of textures and foods.

Then of course theres beani-weenies (hot dogs cut up and cooked in baked beans) and cheesy-weenies (same thing, but with mac and cheese).

ETA: Hit the reply button too soon (darn kids!) A good way to get them to eat new things is to have them help you make it. Get them as involved in its preperation as possible and theyll want to eat it simply because they had an intimate hand in making it. Let them prep as much as they safley can and cook it. Second, make your meals look fun and exciting. Remember, you eat with your eyes first and if its looks like the same old thing or colorless and boring, the human mind will turn itself off to it, especialy intoday culture where wide varieties of food are commonly available and there is no hunger. Food fatigue is something to never underestimate.

MNeagle
22nd November 2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks, H,

I'm go to hope for a few more replies to trickle in before I confess my mistakes....!

Heimdhal
22nd November 2010, 10:26 AM
Thanks, H,

I'm go to hope for a few more replies to trickle in before I confess my mistakes....!

Every parents been there M. Kids crying and you just want it to stop so you say "fine, have hot dogs and chicken nuggest again for the 1000 time this week."

I was blessed with a child, who through all her other demon possessions is a very good eater. She isnt picky about food at all, but she LOVES chicken nuggest and hot dogs and will usualy ask for them, but will accept something else (most of the time). The big factor was that both my wife and I are bakers and love cooking new foods all the time so she just got used to a variety of meals and textures.

Alot of parents think "oh my kid wont like that, its grown-up type food" and shove some PB and J in their kids face instead. The only way theyll ever like it is to try it and see that YOU like it. Dont break out the liver and onions just yet, but never think your kids taste buds arent "old enough" for a type of food. In fact, they can taste it better than we can!

Dogman
22nd November 2010, 10:29 AM
best recipe there is is to tell em "you eat what everyone eats or you dont eat at all" and stick to it. They wont starve, as much as it might pain you to see them go to bed hungry a night or two, theyll survive.

Other than that, figure out what kind of ingredients and textures your kid likes. Most of a childs bad eating habbits come from, first and foremost reinforcment by the parent. The "fine, eat w/e you want" give in. The second is of course being used to only eating certain ingredient and most importantly, certain textures and aesthetics.

Everyone eats with their eyes first. Then their nose, and then finaly their mouths where taste and texture (feeling) are combined. It is the same process for everyone without a physical limitation of one of their senses.

As for recipes.... Try something like Shephards pie. It has a full range of foods in it, is visual appealing (generaly) and will get them to eat a variety of textures and foods.

Then of course theres beani-weenies (hot dogs cut up and cooked in baked beans) and cheesy-weenies (same thing, but with mac and cheese).

ETA: Hit the reply button too soon (darn kids!) A good way to get them to eat new things is to have them help you make it. Get them as involved in its preperation as possible and theyll want to eat it simply because they had an intimate hand in making it. Let them prep as much as they safley can and cook it. Second, make your meals look fun and exciting. Remember, you eat with your eyes first and if its looks like the same old thing or colorless and boring, the human mind will turn itself off to it, especialy intoday culture where wide varieties of food are commonly available and there is no hunger. Food fatigue is something to never underestimate.

We really need a icon of bowing at someones feet, you nailed it with one blow of the hammer.

Edit: I went to bed hungry more than one time when I was a kid,
And the biggest fight and ass woopings =go to bed hungry was liver cooked I do not give a dam how I hate the shit, I had my ass busted , did not matter to this day if I smell liver and onions cooking , I have to leave or heave.

zap
22nd November 2010, 10:41 AM
Sorry MN, I don't have a problem with mine she's a good eater, sometimes to good. She'll try anything I put before her, we even eat sushi together and she loves miso soup.

oh here is one though she helps me with this one!

Combine all this stuff
1 lb of hamburger
couple of carrots ( shredded)
some cabbage ( finely cut )
salt pepper garlic
1 egg

wonton wrappers/eggroll wrappers

Fill the wrapper and have you kids help wrap em, fry in oil til all sides browned, then throw some water in the pan and put a lid on them for 5 / 10 min or so . Dip em in soy sauce or sauce of choice.

Good luck !

How About Chicken Parmesan ?

Road Runner
24th November 2010, 06:56 PM
Here is a soup that all our entire family old and young alike love:
Cheeseburger soup
2lbs hamburger cooked and any fat drained off
1/4 cup onion flakes
3/4 cup shredded carrots
3/4 cup diced celery
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp parsley flakes
4 TBLS olive oil
3-4 cups chicken broth
4 cups peeled/diced potatoes
8 oz velveeta cheese
2 TBLS cornstarch
1 1/2 cup milk
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Step 1. Brown beef and set aside
Step 2. In kettle put olive oil, onion,carrots, celery, basil, parsley and saute for 10 minutes. Add chicken broth, potatoes & beef. Bring to a boil until potatoes are tender.
Step 3. Mix cornstarch with milk and add that and the velveeta, cook until thickens somewhat.

I then add this french bread recipe I make also to go with it that is easy:
2 TBLS active dry yeast
2 cups warm water
2 tsp salt
2 or 3 TBLS honey
4 1/2 -5 cups flour, I use bread flour if I have it.
Step 1. add the yeast to warm water and let sit while you put the other ingredients together. I have a good bread mixer cycle on a machine so I use that, but you can do by hand also.
Put the 4 1/2 cups flour, salt, honey together and then add the water and yeast mixture. Knead well, I do about 5 minutes. Shape into a french style loaf and let raise till double.
Bake at 450 degrees about 15-20 minutes. Sometimes I put tin foil over it after about 10 minutes of cooking if it looks like it is getting too brown. I butter the top then right out of oven.

Usually I double both these recipes.