PDA

View Full Version : Food for one year

Dogman
23rd November 2010, 07:23 AM
I have been prepping for a while now rice,beans, plus other stuff.

Question?

These on line stores that sell one year one person, food supply's are all over the map.
Has anyone bought and tried any? Looking for the best deal, and mix. I think I can go at
least a year with what I have put back, but am starting to look at these so called one year
food supply packages.

Any thoughts?

Rebel Yarr
23rd November 2010, 03:38 PM
Most of those "food for a year" deals have a bunch of shit you most likely won't want to eat. I just buy extra canned food and cycle it - along with a good 3 months of long term storage freeze dried foods.

If you haven't tried any of the freeze dried, you should. Just go to REI/walmart or order some online - single meal packs for $5 bucks or so. They are good IMO - even eat em now and then when nothing else to eat laying around.

Dogman
23rd November 2010, 03:42 PM
Most of those "food for a year" deals have a bunch of sh*t you most likely won't want to eat. I just buy extra canned food and cycle it - along with a good 3 months of long term storage freeze dried foods.

If you haven't tried any of the freeze dried, you should. Just go to REI/walmart or order some online - single meal packs for $5 bucks or so. They are good IMO - even eat em now and then when nothing else to eat laying around.

I agree, have looked at a bunch of sites and ?? Not my thing.

Freeze dried I have not tried since they first came out many a year a go. But do hear good things about them. Anyone know any sites that sell and do not rape you when you buy from them?

StackerKen
23rd November 2010, 03:47 PM
5 bucks for single freeze dried meal??...Crap, no wonder I don't have any of those...
that's too steep for me. :-\

Dogman
23rd November 2010, 05:10 PM
5 bucks for single freeze dried meal??...Crap, no wonder I don't have any of those...
that's too steep for me. :-\

Yea the price seems like rape.

To kick things up a notch , Have looked into freeze dried, and that may be the best choice, but also thinking of still having bulk beans, rice, etc. and then enhancing with freeze dried eggs, meat, etc.

Shooting for at least one year, (may have that already) to however long!

And before anyone starts I was military so instant eggs and nothing new to me. ;D Just looking to enhance and add to what I have , Main thing is all can be stored at room temp.

Looking for feedback from some that have tried this stuff. Also good sources that are fair in price.

uncletonoose
23rd November 2010, 06:33 PM
You might want to try dehydrated vegetables, along with dried beans, rice, potato flakes, powdered milk and so on.

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/food_storage/dehydrated_foods.htm

Dogman
23rd November 2010, 06:44 PM
You might want to try dehydrated vegetables, along with dried beans, rice, potato flakes, powdered milk and so on.

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/food_storage/dehydrated_foods.htm

I have bunches of pasta, rice , beans, and canned stuff, The thing that bothers me is what I keep in my freezer, I only have screwed with dehydrated stuff when it first came out. and those memory's are not so good, I know things have gotten better, But I have not tried any of the new stuff,
Dehydrated or freeze dried, meat , eggs, milk already have that figured out so it is almost as good as fresh, stuff that can go with my beans, rice, pasta, looking for good and honest sources,

big country
23rd November 2010, 06:56 PM
They have the good dehydrated stuff (mountain house) at walmart in the camping section. Taste wise it is the "good stuff" anyways. They don't have a large selection, but most of their packs are $5 or so for serving TWO people. I could maybe eat a whole one myself if I was starving, but at a regular meal I can't eat a whole package. So it is $5 for a package, but it is two meals worth for me so at $2.50 a meal it isn't too bad (6'3" 220lbs so I'm no small guy either)

Also, you can atleast TRY it that way!

EDIT: because I forgot to answer the original question. I haven't bought any of the "food for a year" deals but I would be weary of them especially the cheaper ones. You get what you pay for when it comes to food. You might have a "years worth" of food but they assume 800 calories/day per person which is just insane (hypothetical of course, but you just need to read what you're actually getting). You might be able to survive on that, but you wouldn't be doing anything to help your situation like preparing for when the food does run out (gardening/hunting) or likely even gathering water.

Dogman
23rd November 2010, 07:06 PM
They have the good dehydrated stuff (mountain house) at walmart in the camping section. Taste wise it is the "good stuff" anyways. They don't have a large selection, but most of their packs are $5 or so for serving TWO people. I could maybe eat a whole one myself if I was starving, but at a regular meal I can't eat a whole package. So it is $5 for a package, but it is two meals worth for me so at $2.50 a meal it isn't too bad (6'3" 220lbs so I'm no small guy either)

EDIT: because I forgot to answer the original question. I haven't bought any of the "food for a year" deals but I would be weary of them especially the cheaper ones. You get what you pay for when it comes to food. You might have a "years worth" of food but they assume 800 calories/day per person which is just insane (hypothetical of course, but you just need to read what you're actually getting). You might be able to survive on that, but you wouldn't be doing anything to help your situation like preparing for when the food does run out (gardening/hunting) or likely even gathering water.

Other than hight , we match close, 260 or so, 6'-2" Not tiny.. Kinda cool dont get screwed with, much. But if some want to dance, it's cool, sort of fun really.

Sorry for going off topic on my own dam thread.. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dogman
23rd November 2010, 07:23 PM

Just looking into options , I am fairly covered except dairy, and meat, That is one of my thought about this thread, beef, chicken,pork, eggs,(for sure) that I can use to enhance my other food stash, I have a lot of meat in my freezer, but that will be the first thing to go , if a true shtf, have a gen set but , in reality, fuel will run out some day. So dried or canned, for long term is the only way to go..I just want to live long enough to track down the assholes that turned this country into shit and take them out , at distance, (distinguished rifle man) Master/Hi master rifle man. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dogman
23rd November 2010, 07:33 PM
Dogman,

Here are some companies
http://www.honeyvillegrain.com/
http://www.beprepared.com

I agree with RY.. the food "packages " suck.
Buy individually. Be prepared has some neat stuff, that would store well, like Peanut butter powder, freeze dried cheeze (real cheese , not the nacho type)

Honeyville had the better prices, when I was buying, but BePrepared (emergency essentials) had more variety.
Honeyville has a 10% off coupon about once a month. You need to sign up on the web site for it. Honeyville also has 4.49 shipping.

If you buy meals in a can . Like Beef Stew. Make sure you read the ingredients, because most of them have MSG's or Soybean oil.
http://beprepared.com/images/250/fn-b510.jpg
Link] (http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=FN%20B510)

Ingredients:Beef Stew
Potatoes, Cooked Beef, Carrots, Peas, Corn Oil, Modified Corn Starch, Hydrolyzed Corn Torula and Brewed Yeast Wheat Gluten Soy Protein, Dehydrated Onions, Salt, Sugar, Spices, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Garlic Powder and Spice Extract.
Allergens: Contains Wheat, Soy.
Its almost better to buy a can of freeze dried or dehydrated meat, carrots, potato's, peas (what ever else you eat in a stew) and mix up your own. Most items on their own don't contain all the extra crap. Most of the "meals in one" have to be eaten within 30 days after opening. Becareful on the TVP, they are soy too. Honeyville has some real freezedried meat LINK] (http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/freezedriedbeefdicescan.aspx).
http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/images/products/thumb/RCBeef%20Ground.jpg
(I have n ot tried it - Because ImaCans her own!

This is a good book on cooking with your dehydrated storage.. It is dedicated to ONLY food storage and stuff that you would have in your food storage cabinet.. Link (http://www.standeyo-cart.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TEG)
http://www.standeyo-cart.com/v/vspfiles/photos/TEG-2T.jpg

Dam woman I am 60 years old, Do you really think I am bothered about additives??

;D

Thank you! for the input. I will only buy if I get a report from someone that has really used the product..

Canning lady you are no 1 on my list of giving kudos..

Dogman
23rd November 2010, 07:37 PM
.I just want to live long enough to track down the assholes that turned this country into sh*t and take them out , at distance, (distinguished rifle man) Master/Hi master rifle man. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sounds like you need one of these too!
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x90/2kke/Barrett50Cal.jpg

Nice, would you buy me one for my next birthday. Jan 25???

:lol

I already have rifles in my battery that can do the job...

But the one in your pict is sweet!!

skid
23rd November 2010, 08:41 PM
Nice Larder ImaCannin!

I have an All American pressure cooker that double stacks, but have not used it yet (even though I have had it a few years). I have all the cans, lids, and accessories required to use it but for some reason have not tried it. I do have an extended food supply, but could use more canned meats and vegetables. I do have a huge fridge though (root cellar)!

Libertytree
25th November 2010, 04:04 PM
You're a woman after my own heart Ima, great lookin supply!!!

Skid, ya better learn to use your equipment pronto. The seals on your pressure cooker may be dry rotted by now, check them closely.If ya ain't gonna use it I might buy it from ya.

skid
25th November 2010, 10:58 PM
Liberty,
The All American Pressure cooker does not have rubber gaskets. It is a metal to metal fit.
http://www.theappliancecorner.com/images/All%20American%20Pressure%20Cooker%20Canner.png. But I agree with you,.. Skid needs to learn before caca hits the fan

Skid>
You should get yourself some fish and can it! I have been wantig to make a run over to your neck of the woods and do just that!

Imacannin,

The sockeye salmon run this year was the best run in over a hundred years. The natives were selling them cheap, but I'm not sure how available they are any more. If still available they are probably frozen and not fresh anymore. Perhaps you could supply a "how to" and recipe on canning fish??

Ash_Williams
26th November 2010, 07:12 AM
I got two of the Mountain House one-year supplies. Expensive, but the shelf life is hard to beat. I think of the time it would take to can and store and rotate, and for me the price of the mountain house is totally worth it. It's survival food, so I'm not worried about the MSG or anything else. I once lived a few years on a diet of basically nothing but fast-food with no issues at all, so I'm sure I can handle a year of this stuff, especially given the other choice...

And you get cans in cardboard boxes that you can store in any closet. It's a very compact and low-profile way to store food. I can give a tour of the whole house and if I don't open the one closet, no one has any idea I'm storing a massive amount of food. I can move the entire supply in the back of my SUV, easily, with no worry of anything breaking or spilling or freezing or going bad in the heat.

On of my goals is that, even if I invited the most anti-prepping type person imagineable to live for a few days with me, they wouldn't notice I was a prepper or have any reason to gossip.

The on year supply is estimated at one year based on a pretty low calorie consumption, 1800 or so I think. Based on how many calories I need right now, even when not active, I figured two one-year supplies will get me 6 -8 months and I'll be even skinnier after. At the same time, I know tall, chubby people that get through the day on two small meals, so 2000 calories a day probably would be reasonable for them.

Ash_Williams
7th December 2010, 12:16 PM
Out of curiosity, wouldn't that statement be considered an OXYMORON?

You are buying survival food that is so toxic that it will kill you and prevent you from surviving??

As I said, I lived a few years on the kind of food that people around here say should have turned me into a human blob with manboobs, suffering from fatigue, wheezing for breath, riddled with cancer, voting democrat. I was fine - certainly nowhere near death.

I know people who have lived 30 or 40 years on crap.

If I have to survive a year on crap I'd prefer that to the alternative.