PDA

View Full Version : Solar charger question.

Libertytree
25th November 2010, 03:24 PM
I'm going to buy a Berkey water purifier in the next few days and also considered getting this solar charger at the same time, from the same site. I'd like to be able to charge a small light and a laptop with it, although it seems it can do more. Any input?

PS...I think I need to hang out in this section more, seems like like a lot of like minded, familiar folks ;D

Thanks yaw'll

Edit, duh...

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/solar_powered_portable_aaa_battery_charger_panel_c ell_phone_12v_6_7.2_12_volt.aspx

Glass
25th November 2010, 04:15 PM
I think you need to know the mAh rating of the charger based on my experience. When I purchased a mains battery charger the maximum mAh was 2000. This meant I could fully charge batteries that are rated 2000mAh and below. I picked up some 2500mAh batteries and I am pretty confident, based on using them that they are not fully charged to maximum capacity.

So if that unit is rated at less than your batteries are rated you won't get full charge. This may be void if the charger does not have a cut off type thing because it might just keep banging away at the batteries until you unplug them where as the charger I have has a cut off for when the batteries reach the 2000mAh.

I could be way wrong here. I'm no expert but it does seem my bigger batteries don't get fully charged. They work, just not full power. Of course in SHTF any amount of power might be preferable to none as long as it doesn't take 2 days to charge to a usable level.

hoarder
25th November 2010, 06:02 PM
$99 would buy a lot of little batteries.

solid
25th November 2010, 06:21 PM
$99 would buy a lot of little batteries.

Indeed. If going the solar route, I'd recommend spending a little more and getting a couple of 6v golf cart batteries, run them in series, and add a 50-100 watt panel. You could charge whatever you need off of that, batteries, cellphones, laptop. The solar would keep the batteries topped off as needed. You could also run a simple 12v lighting system to your home.

Ash_Williams
26th November 2010, 07:17 AM
It sounds like it's made to charge 6 AAA batteries. That's not a lot of power. It also has a fairly small surface area, going by the picture. Maybe 3.5 watts of power at noon on a clear day near the equator, probably 1.5 watts in normal situations.

Small solar isn't ever worth it, in my opinion.

solid
26th November 2010, 08:02 AM
It sounds like it's made to charge 6 AAA batteries. That's not a lot of power. It also has a fairly small surface area, going by the picture. Maybe 3.5 watts of power at noon on a clear day near the equator, probably 1.5 watts in normal situations.

Small solar isn't ever worth it, in my opinion.

This is what I was thinking too.

Liberty, I was given a solio charger as a gift. I've never used it, but apparantly you can get adapters for cell phones and such. It has a built in battery, supposedly enough juice to charge a cell phone.

It's pretty neat actually. But again, I haven't used it to give it any review yet. It could be another "tool" in the "toolbox" though.

I have the classic model.

http://www.solio.com/charger/

Libertytree
26th November 2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the input yaw'll. I've done a little research and the one I was looking at just won't do what I want it to and would have been a waste of money. Thinking I could solve the problem for $80 was indeed too good to be true, from what I'm learning $400-500 should do the trick, less if I get lucky.

I was primarily looking for a device that would power a Mac laptop I'm getting at the end of Dec, my SHTF laptop with all my survival files stored on it. If it could do other duties then that would be a bonus.

osprey
29th November 2010, 05:49 PM
Have you looked into building a water filter with a couple of the Black Birkey filters and two 5 gal. food grade pails? The filters can be found for about $100.00 Just something to think about.

SilverMagnet
1st December 2010, 02:29 AM
I was primarily looking for a device that would power a Mac laptop I'm getting at the end of Dec, my SHTF laptop with all my survival files stored on it. If it could do other duties then that would be a bonus.

I am not sure if you have one of the newer generation smart phones or not, but I ended up putting all my pdf survival files on my iPhone 3GS which only costed $100 and downloaded a free app which allows me to view the pdf files. This may be a more portable, efficient and cost effective alternative to using the laptop for that purpose. You can then buy a smaller solar panel to charge the phone or just use one of the hand crank chargers since you would require far less power.

DMac
1st December 2010, 09:29 AM

I am not sure if you have one of the newer generation smart phones or not, but I ended up putting all my pdf survival files on my iPhone 3GS which only costed $100 and downloaded a free app which allows me to view the pdf files. This may be a more portable, efficient and cost effective alternative to using the laptop for that purpose. You can then buy a smaller solar panel to charge the phone or just use one of the hand crank chargers since you would require far less power.

+1. I do this with an ipod touch I got for 50 bucks from a friend when he bought an iphone. Lots of stuff can be stored on this little gadget and I have a crank powered flashlight with applicable usb ports for charging. I need to build a small faraday cage and leave these toys in it.

beefsteak
1st December 2010, 09:59 AM
Hi, Lib,

I use a unit like this, min wattage, 90w!!!(most laptops.) I like my 140w better. The 90s don't have a built in "exhaust fan for the heat buildup which occurs during inverting." The 140w have the fan.

Cheap choices--good quality--out the wazoo.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=car+inverter&_sacat=0&_odkw=dc+sockets&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1311

Bot 3 of the plug in inverters (75, 90, 140) for 1 money off ebay a few years back. $20.

Then buy the small solar panel 12v car/truck battery recharger which plugs into cig lighter.
The directional diode sends power TO the battery, instead of sucking power out like the inverter does. $60 bucks maybe...I've got a jpg of the mfgr sticker on mine which I keep attached to my 75 Ford 3/4T, 460hp.

The 3rd suggestion is to get a cheap DC socket, from say Camping World, or something like that. DISASSEMBLE (unscrew or snap out) the male unit. Positive is the connection to the center post, neg is the "collar" wire. Mark, strip, and add 2 alligator clamps for direct clamping to a battery. Probably under $10.

I can use my laptop for about 1hr without any strain, but the 90 gets WAY hot. The 140 gets warm for the same time. 140 makes the laptop apps run very noticably quicker than the 90W does.

Hope this helps!

beefsteak

SilverMagnet
1st December 2010, 01:00 PM
+1. I do this with an ipod touch I got for 50 bucks from a friend when he bought an iphone. Lots of stuff can be stored on this little gadget and I have a crank powered flashlight with applicable usb ports for charging. I need to build a small faraday cage and leave these toys in it.

I just saw one of the hand crank/solar USB chargers last night by Eton:
http://www.amazon.com/FR160B-Microlink-Self-Powered-Weather-Flashlight/dp/B001QTXKB0 which looks like a good deal for the price.

If you build the Faraday Cage, please post a thread and pics of your progress. I would like to get some insight into the process.