PDA

View Full Version : Remington "Hit Piece"

osoab
29th November 2010, 06:40 PM
Anyone watching CNBC now?

They are running this hit piece (my take) on Remington and their model 700 rifle and issues with the trigger and inadvertent firing.

osoab
29th November 2010, 06:46 PM
Only about 20 minutes left. I bet it gets replayed quite a few times.

So, why now with this? The issue seems to have been known and swept under the rug quite a few times.

Remington is owned by Cerberus Capitol Management. So why the hit piece on their own?

With this much exposure, there is bound to be some pounding on the doors by customers wanting a fix.

Is this a backdoor way to shut the company down? This would make sense with them moving Marlin Production to Remington's factory.

Dogman
29th November 2010, 07:01 PM
There maybe something about this, several years ago i was out at the range and the shooter next to me had a Remington model 700/40x testing loads. He broke a range rule by having the gun loaded and pointed it straight up, and then he banged the but of the rifle on the bench. Forget why think something was loose something about the scope on the rifle

Anyway the gun went off and made a nice hole in the cover over the firing line. Scarred the crap out of every one on the line. Because no one was firing at that time , but the range was not called clear.

In fact he broke several safety rules.

The 700/40x had the standard trigger but it was not a new gun at all, not even sure if they make the 40x receiver any more.

Just saying!

Glass
29th November 2010, 07:12 PM
Cerberus using a company called Freedom Group. Seems to have picked up a few gun manufacturers. Cobb, Bushmaster, Dakota Arms, DPMS, Eotac, H&R, L.C. Smith, NEF, Parker Gun, Remington Arms Company, Advanced Armament Corp. Rumour has it Dick Cheney is a shareholder but not sure about that. Owned by Steve Feinberg. He bought Chrysler, got a bail out and then sold Chrysler to FIAT.

Going to IPO it all.

osoab
29th November 2010, 07:23 PM
I'm not saying anything in support of Remington on this. Also, I have never shot a Remington 700 so I can't comment on the rifle either.
The docudrama seemed to pull out quite a bit of evidence to show that Remington has known of the issue and has sat on a possible fix since the 40's. Bring out the 98 y.o. designer of the trigger was a sweet move.

I'm just wondering why G.E. is pissing on Cerberus.

My ulterior motive thought process has started.
Recall a bunch of guns that are good for long ranch shots?

mightymanx
29th November 2010, 07:38 PM
They can try a hit piece all they want the 700 is THE gold gold standard rifle of percision marksmanship. Every professional marksman in modern times cuts there teeth on a 700.

They might as well try a hit piece on the AK-47 next.