PDA

View Full Version : Need help in choosing a Bible for my Mom

wilhelm
1st December 2010, 08:59 PM
As a Christmas gift. She's interested in one with modern language, but I am hesitant to get too far off track from the KJ version.

G2Rad
2nd December 2010, 07:43 AM
As a Christmas gift. She's interested in one with modern language, but I am hesitant to get too far off track from the KJ version.

???

Perhaps you could buy her some DVDs which argue that the KJV is the only Bible that is the Word of God?

::)

Book
2nd December 2010, 07:52 AM
Maybe a LARGE PRINT (http://www.ewordtoday.com/large/) bible is appropriate for older readers.

|--0--|

joe_momma
2nd December 2010, 07:56 AM
I recommend the Q'uran version of the bible - lots more smiting and less of that tolerance crap - kind of like the old testament on a meth bender!

I suppose if you want the "true" word of god you'll need to go with the Greek/Aramaic versions of the new testament - not too sure how'd you be able to slice a Torah to get the Old Testament.

:D

(edit)
PS - I'd recommend NIV large print (darn that presbyopia!)

StreetsOfGold
2nd December 2010, 08:08 AM

???

Perhaps you could buy her some DVDs which argue that the KJV is the only Bible that is the Word of God?

::)

I concur with this suggestion. The *lamp in the Dark* video for starters

G2Rad
2nd December 2010, 09:22 AM
I suppose if you want the "true" word of god you'll need to go with the Greek/Aramaic versions of the new testament

There is no point in learning Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic because in the KJV we have better Word of God.

Did not God speak in foreign languages through His people in Acts 2?

1Co 14:27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

Which says if you don't know two or three out of Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic, God will translate it to you, and He did.

joe, you said that we must learn Hebrew, but the Bible says that to Jews God will speak in another tongue!
Isa 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

ximmy
2nd December 2010, 11:12 AM

Large print is a good idea... NKJV is also a good compromise if one is inclined to KJV... NIV is good and I've heard good things about the New Living Translation, although I have not used that one.

Sparky
2nd December 2010, 12:47 PM
NKJV is my first choice.