PDA

View Full Version : Your Privacy and You!

Errosion Of Accord
3rd December 2010, 07:32 AM
I've posted on this subject several times, and it seems to me my warnings go unheeded. Never fill out a warranty card or use anything that can be digitally mined for your information. This article proves my point. Do I use a card? Yes I do but I am quite wary about the purchases I make with it too. The big retailers all sell the information they glean with your discount cards, I don't use any of them that have my real info. Credit card companies sell every purchase you make to Lexis Nexis who will mine your data for anyone who will pay. The Feds are not supposed to keep data on citizens but the law does not say they can not use a private contractor.

Threat Level Privacy, Crime and Security Online
Previous post
Next post
Feds Warrantlessly Tracking Americans’ Credit Cards in Real Time

* By Ryan Singel Email Author
* December 2, 2010 |
* 5:06 pm |
* Categories: Surveillance

Federal law enforcement agencies have been tracking Americans in real-time using credit cards, loyalty cards and travel reservations without getting a court order, a new document released under a government sunshine request shows.

The document, obtained by security researcher Christopher Soghoian, explains how so-called “Hotwatch” orders allow for real-time tracking of individuals in a criminal investigation via credit card companies, rental car agencies, calling cards, and even grocery store loyalty programs. The revelation sheds a little more light on the Justice Department’s increasing power and willingness to surveil Americans with little to no judicial or Congressional oversight.

For credit cards, agents can get real-time information on a person’s purchases by writing their own subpoena, followed up by a order from a judge that the surveillance not be disclosed. Agents can also go the traditional route — going to a judge, proving probable cause and getting a search warrant — which means the target will eventually be notified they were spied on.

The document suggests that the normal practice is to ask for all historical records on an account or individual from a credit card company, since getting stored records is generally legally easy. Then the agent sends a request for “Any and all records and information relating directly or indirectly to any and all ongoing and future transactions or events relating to any and all of the following person(s), entitities, account numbers, addresses and other matters…” That gets them a live feed of transaction data.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/12/realtime/

Suggested reading

http://www.amazon.com/No-Place-Hide-Emerging-Surveillance/dp/0743254805

Book
3rd December 2010, 07:37 AM
I've posted on this subject several times, and it seems to me my warnings seem to go unheeded.

I heed them. Thanks for posting EOA.

|--0--|

palani
3rd December 2010, 07:41 AM
I would suggest that what the feds are tracking is their creations. As they created "your identity" then they get to entirely control and even eventually destroy it (by way of a death certificate).

As I don't even presume to be a creation of either the federal or state government I usually don't worry about what they do with something that belongs to them 100%. It is their vessel. I am merely the Captain (aka intervenor for their corporate identity). As such I have a vested interest in keeping the ship off the rocks.