PDA

View Full Version : Very interesting analysis of Ag/Au short positions

Bullion_Bob
4th December 2010, 09:36 PM
Great info if you aren't already reading it.

http://harveyorgan.blogspot.com/

"Before proceeding, many have asked me how many oz of gold and silver are really short. That is the 64 million dollar question but I will try and give you an approximate answer. In silver, Ted Butler believes that the total short position by the bankers is 3 billion oz. The comex for sure is 500 million oz short, but we must also include the silver deposits written by the bankers for many unsuspecting investors. This must be about 1 billion oz and then we have the OTC market between the bankers and this is estimated to be around 1.5 billion oz.

Butler estimates that we have no more than 300 million oz of silver left on the planet. With the price of 29.00 dollars the total market price of this silver is 8.7 billion dollars. With a shortfall of 3 billion oz, and a cost base of say 7.00 dollars to the bankers, we multiply 22.00 dollars (the loss) which will give us 66 billion usa dollars lost. The leverage in the marketplace is 66 divided by 8.7 billion or 7.5 to one. However much of the silver is in private hands and not in the dealers hands. Jeff Christian of CPM metals estimates that the leverage that the bankers use with silver in their possession is 100: 1. Now you can see the danger the bankers are in as each silver oz is withdrawn by customers. The bubble of shorts is so big that it cannot be covered.

In gold, we have a better picture because gold is never consumed like silver, and central banks do have gold as reserves. The short position by the banks of gold is around 7,000 tonnes, sold as forwards, but the bankers also short calls. The BIS data seems to suggest that the banks are short in the aggregate around 18000 tonnes or 576 million oz.

Let us say that the bankers cost is around 500.00 dollars (remember they sell massive calls against their inventory as well) then in dollars, the short is 518 billion dollars which must be covered (1400 dollars - 500 dollars cost= 900 dollars x 576 million oz = 518 billion dollars. No wonder the central bankers are printing massive amounts of paper money.

The demand for gold per year has been around 4400 tonnes per year with mining production at around 2500 tonnes on average. The 1900 tonnes of gold has been made up through the leasing of gold by the bankers.

These numbers are at best a guess but it should be pretty close to this. We believe that the leasing of gold has decimated all of central bank gold. They started in 1988 with 30,000 tonnes (excluding the 3000 tonnes of IMF gold). At best 12,000 tonnes remain. At worst, only 5-6000 remain and this is with China and Russia.

In silver, the demand for silver has been 800-900 million oz per year with a supply from the mines at 500-600 million oz. Scrap silver has been around 170 million oz and thus the remaining silver had to be made up with supplies from above ground. The usa had 2 billion oz in 1990 and today it has zero. It is believed that China is the supplier of that silver to the tune of 600 million ozs or so.

I hope that this gives you a better understanding of the total short positions and what it means. I tried to simplify things without going into the derivative calculations."

SilverMagnet
4th December 2010, 10:12 PM
Great analysis. I thought I read that Butler estimated there was closer to 1 Billion ounces of above ground silver though. Either way, the price is vastly undervalued.

Gaillo
4th December 2010, 10:16 PM
Once the Silver game collapses, will they have gold manipulation to fall back on as a final bastion against hyperinflation? I'm betting yes... For a short time at least.

General of Darkness
4th December 2010, 10:45 PM
Silver is the lynch pin in this ordeal. The correction with silver is going to leave a bloody trail.

Sparky
4th December 2010, 11:02 PM
Butler estimates that we have no more than 300 million oz of silver left on the planet.

This is ridiculous. Sorry.

There have been about 250 million Silver American Eagles minted since 1986. My guess is that nearly all of them are left on the planet.

Add in Comex, and any other metals exchanges. Assume SLV has at least a good portion of the 300 million ounces they are registered to have. Then add all the personal hoards of silver across the U.S., and then across the world where hoarding PM's is more mainstream.

Not to take away from the risk of the short positions, but thoughtless statements like that turn me off.

Gneisenau
4th December 2010, 11:47 PM
Butler estimates that we have no more than 300 million oz of silver left on the planet.

There have been about 250 million Silver American Eagles minted since 1986. My guess is that nearly all of them are left on the planet.

Add in Comex, and any other metals exchanges. Assume SLV has at least a good portion of the 300 million ounces they are registered to have. Then add all the personal hoards of silver across the U.S., and then across the world where hoarding PM's is more mainstream.

Not to take away from the risk of the short positions, but thoughtless statements like that turn me off.

Hi Sparky,

imho the best analysis on how much silver is left in the world is "The real silver deficit" by David Zurbuchen. David says 24.99 billion ounces Ag left and a gold : silver ratio of 1 to 5.88.

THE REAL SILVER DEFICIT by David Zurbuchen

http://www.financialsensearchive.com/fsu/editorials/2006/0526.html

Updating the CRA Numbers

During the period 1992-1994: World mine production of silver totaled 1.373 billion ounces (Minerals Yearbooks).

During the period 1995-2004: World mine production of silver totaled 5.639 billion ounces (The Silver Institute).

During 2005 (Partial): World mine production of silver in 2005 totaled 527.3 million ounces (CPM Group – Silver Survey 2005).

Total World Mine Production from 1992 to 2005 = 7.54 billion ounces

Combining this number with the CRA Report’s estimated total above-ground supply of 19.06 billion ounces, we arrive at 26.6 billion ounces of silver remaining above ground.

Since 1992, the world has used nearly 8.1B ounces of silver industrially, but has only returned 2.4B ounces as old scrap. Assuming that 90% of the old scrap had its origin in recycled industrial materials, this leaves us with a total of just 20.66B ounces [26.6 – (8.1B – (2.4 x 0.90)] remaining above ground. This number is strikingly similar to our 2 other separate findings of 21.44B ounces and 20.86B ounces.

By taking the average of all three, we arrive at 20.99B ounces of silver remaining in the world in all forms (mostly jewelry and silverware).

But in order to temper our enthusiasm in discovering what would actually be a relative rarity ratio between gold and silver of less than 1 to 5 based upon the above numbers, let us further assume that a maximum of 4 billion ounces of silver could be recycled from existing industrial (not including jewelry or sterlingware) materials if the price were right (say $50-$100/ounce). Including this additional potential supply, 24.99B ounces of silver would remain in all forms.

Here then is our new gold to silver ratio based solely upon relative rarity, buffered for the sake of being conservative with that extra 4 billion ounces. Again, I hope the inclusion of this additional 4 billion ounces will be a more than sufficient compromise to account for my inevitable bias towards silver.

The new gold to silver ratio is 24.99 billion ounces Ag/ 4.25 billion ounces Au / =

1 to 5.88 (Gold vs. Silver)

Serpo
5th December 2010, 05:09 AM

I always took this as the amount of silver left to be mined

chad
5th December 2010, 05:54 AM

could be, but how does he knows? there are vast of swaths of nothingness in canada, alaska, etc. where no one has even set foot, let alone do a drilling assay.

Sparky
5th December 2010, 02:27 PM

That wouldn't make sense either, as more than that is mined every year.