PDA

View Full Version : The Silver Shortage Pre-Panic Line

Serpo
5th December 2010, 08:43 PM
The Silver Shortage Pre-Panic Line
Bill Downey
3 December 2010
For years we have heard of the coming silver shortage but somehow price was always contained and was a wild swinging commodity. But that changed last spring when allegations of silver manipulation made it to mainstream internet sites and became a focal point of testimony by Bill Murphy of GATA to the CFTC in early spring.

Since last August the silver market has been on a tear to the upside and the physical market is now again facing reported shortages. The demand for coin is at its highest levels in 25 years as reported by coin dealers.

Once silver broke above $20 dollars there was a triple demand factor that came into play.

The first is the industry that uses silver. It's made a mad dash to the buy line to secure supplies. No user in his right mind is going to stick around and wait for the shortage to become acute and hold up production. That is a show stopper and industrial use is the largest demand factor in the fabrication of silver. I was informed by a person who was building a database for a company in late October that the company she was doing business for was in panic mode buying up to a year's worth of silver so as to hedge for future price increases. She did not even work there and was providing a service for the business. She said that the talk was rampant among the executives.

Consider what Ted Butler, who was way ahead of the curve wrote in 2006

World silver inventories are at the lowest point in 200 years. Industry requires over 900 million ounces each year. Silver is the best conductor of electricity. Every computer, server, monitor, cell phone and switch must have silver. Lasers, satellites, high-tech weaponry and robotics, all require silver. Digital technology and telecommunications need silver. Around the house there's silver in every TV, washing machine, wall switch and refrigerator. Conductors, switches, contracts and fuses use silver because it does not corrode or cause overheating and fires. Silver is used heavily in photography and in prints. Meanwhile, new and exotic uses for silver are expanding.

A new double layer of silver on glass is sweeping the window market, as it reflects away almost 95% of the hot rays of the sun. A new electronic application for "smart tags" that are replacing bar codes could use significant quantities of silver.

Silver achieves the most brilliant polish of any metal and is the best reflector of light, allowing it to be used in mirrors and in coatings for glass, cellophane or metals. Chemical reactions can be significantly increased by adding silver. Approximately 700 tons of silver are in continuous use in the world's chemical industry for the production of plastics.

Batteries are now manufactured with silver alloys. Lead-free silver solder is used heavily for joining materials and producing leak-tight joints. Silver is also widely used in silk-screened circuit paths, membrane switches, electrically heated automobile windows, and adhesives. Silver has a variety of uses in pharmaceuticals. Silver sulfadiazine is the most powerful compound for burn treatment. Catheters impregnated with silver eliminate bacteria. Silver is increasingly being tapped for its bactericidal properties and water purification. In the face of all these industrial uses there is less silver available.

Here we have a vital material, known to all men for all time, literally disappearing before our eyes, both above and below ground. It is a material upon which modern life and rising standards of living are dependent. It is beyond indispensable, it is a miracle metal.

The second factor that is coming into play is the loss of confidence in paper money and the realization by many that silver is not only an industrial metal but was a monetary metal.

Silver has been around for just as long -- if not longer --- than gold. It was currency in the past --- and who is to say it will not be currency in the future? Indeed -- gold bugs who favor a return to the gold standard -- would stand a better chance if they were pushing a bimetallic system of both gold and silver. At least there would be more "currency" to go around. As nations that look to establish the former glory -- it might not be beyond the realm of China to go that route.

Silver Sycee in one form or another was a means of exchange in China for over 1000 years. In fact -- a quick history of money is simply -- barter -- livestock/Crops -- cowry shells (tools) -- silver -- leather banknotes (deer skin) -- paper currency (first introduced by China 9th to 15th Century) -- potlatch -& wampum (north American Indians)--- gold standard -- paper currency. So if we exit paper currency --- there are only two choices on the above list --- silver and gold. And silver has been used more times and more places than gold has.

Silver certificates we're re-issued by the Kennedy Administration in USA and were in fact redeemable in silver until June of 1968. So the thinking that silver can't come back as a monetary instrument is not impossible. In fact -- what will be the alternative to gold and silver? Nothing. Black market or not -- gold and silver will always have their place.

The second factor influencing silver is the loss of confidence in paper currency and the public awareness that is fast becoming a major factor in PHYSICAL DEMAND.

Finally the third factor that comes into play is the massive amount of short positions that have been sold forward by the manipulators of silver. According to the latest statistics there are 154 days of silver production that is currently sold short. As prices rise the shorts have only two choices. Sell more contracts short - or cover the positions. Each drop in silver since the summer has not been met with new short positions. It has been met with short covering. This triple whammy is turning the supply side equation and demand into a runaway freight train.

link has charts ect

http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_08/downeyb120310.html

vacuum
6th December 2010, 12:40 AM
Dam, this makes me want to go all in right now...

Someone posted previously the history of silver dips....after a good run like this, its not uncommon for silver to drop 50%. I wonder if it is going to happen again.

Gaillo
6th December 2010, 12:45 AM

Someone posted previously the history of silver dips....after a good run like this, its not uncommon for silver to drop 50%. I wonder if it is going to happen again.

As much as I'd like it to drop 50% (I'd like MORE metal, damnit!!!), I don't think it's going to happen this time. COMEX is about to default, everyone who's paying attention knows it, and QE2 is just rubbing our noses in the fact that the dollar is about to become mincemeat. I'd go "all in" if I were you... but that's just my opinion.

vacuum
6th December 2010, 12:48 AM

As much as I'd like it to drop 50% (I'd like MORE metal, damnit!!!), I don't think it's going to happen this time. COMEX is about to default, everyone who's paying attention knows it, and QE2 is just rubbing our noses in the fact that the dollar is about to become mincemeat. I'd go "all in" if I were you... but that's just my opinion.

Yea, it may drop $5, but thats peanuts when you think about the risk involved. What worries me is availability - not being able to buy any, or it being so expensive that I can't effectively buy any. I don't think its going to drop below $25. The only possibility in my mind is another deflationary event, which seems to be against all the signs we're seeing.

Serpo
6th December 2010, 04:20 AM

Just like Gaillo said,its very doubtful this time of dropping much at all.

Things are a lot different now.

Silver has woken up and is on the move to much higher prices ,which is where it should be.

Awoke
6th December 2010, 07:26 AM
I don't think its going to drop below $25.

I have a gut feeling that $25 is the new floor. I could be wrong, but I think you're right. (Haha! Does that make sense??)

I think that the only time we're going to see it go below $25 in the near future is if they enact another "Confiscation act", driving the price down, then raising it massively again for another transfer of wealth like we have seen in the past.

But, once again I must state that I'm no economist.

mick silver
6th December 2010, 07:36 AM
i think if they did a Confiscation act then there game is over . i just dont see people giving there stuff up . i just dont see me doing it . this could be the straw that broke the camel back . we have been rob before

Awoke
6th December 2010, 08:05 AM
Boating accident....

Twisted Titan
6th December 2010, 08:23 AM

Yea, it may drop $5, but thats peanuts when you think about the risk involved. What worries me is availability - not being able to buy any, or it being so expensive that I can't effectively buy any. I don't think its going to drop below $25. The only possibility in my mind is another deflationary event, which seems to be against all the signs we're seeing.

That's what I worry about as well

Because when the shops start to smell blood in the water ........ the premuiums are going to go bananas and the smartest money in the room is going to shut the eff up and pay it.

Thats a hellva position to be in.

T

FunnyMoney
6th December 2010, 08:50 AM
The pre-panic line was already formed over at GIM1.

In case you forgot, that line is no longer available to the public. I think we're simply now closer to the front of the real panic line.

Oh and BTW, ... a global silver panic line is going to make those black friday lines look the line for the midnight showing of a B movie. So I suggest you should be glad to be at the front already.

Ponce
6th December 2010, 09:05 AM
The view to the outside while sitting on my private cabin in the train going to my space silver ship going to the moon is very intersting ....... I don't mind it all if you guys are jelous of me because I deserved it hahahah ...... but still, is nothing like in 1980 when I saw it go to over $50.00......at this time silver should be "at least" $178.00.

Buy now or cry later...... I wrote this when silver was at $12.48 :boohoo

Serpo
6th December 2010, 12:34 PM
i think if they did a Confiscation act then there game is over . i just dont see people giving there stuff up . i just dont see me doing it . this could be the straw that broke the camel back . we have been rob before

Read something the other day stating that confiscation wont happen as it did last time as money was backed by gold last time .This time its not so there is no point at all ,interesting thought.

FunnyMoney
6th December 2010, 07:29 PM
Who knows? Maybe I'm wrong, maybe GSUS is simply an extension of the GIM1 Pre-Panic Line. Maybe the silver pre-panic line is still open to the public after all.

I mean, you can still buy silver in the two-digits. The inflation adjusted high for silver (using actual inflation, not some phony balony CPI number) is around two or three hundred dollars for sure. In addition to that, the gold / silver ratio is in the high 40s still, wasn't the long term mean for that around 15.

Silver is due to run out before the other metals and mining experts don't expect any really big mining discoveries as most of the shallow surface metal has already been pretty well mapped out. Above ground stockpiles are pretty much either widely owned (like the ETFs) or simply non-existant.

With industry demand likely to close in on the one-billion ounces per year mark, maybe the real panic line doesn't form until industry panics. $30 certainly doesn't even get them to give a yawn about the subject yet.

So come to think about it, GSUS must still be the pre-panic line, which I guess makes GIM1 the pre-pre-panic line. No wonder they had to shut that down. Nobody should be allowed to tell that much truth at a single venue, at least not in today's modern state.

I'm not sure what David Morgan is thinking with the "low volume" talk. From a fundamental perspective any dip in price is likely to be met with massive buying. Just think about all those people who were waiting for $15 again when the price went to $21. And what about all those people who never really bought in when prices were in the single digits, calling it a "dog"? There must be a lot of money just itching for any type of pull back now. I don't think they get rewarded for sitting on their hands. Silver needs to be in the three digits already right now in order to reflect what's coming this decade. The pre-panic line needs to hold on and buckle up, because this is going to be the decade of silver revenge. And when the revenge comes, that's when the real panic begins.

Plastic
6th December 2010, 07:38 PM
Read something the other day stating that confiscation wont happen as it did last time as money was backed by gold last time .This time its not so there is no point at all ,interesting thought.

Not to mention that back in the 30's people trusted the gov't and believed Roosevelts lies, today they most likely would'nt even get a single silver dime that was worn paper thin.

The gov't has squandered the trust of the people.