PDA

View Full Version : Government can’t print money properly

MNeagle
6th December 2010, 08:02 AM
Government can’t print money properly

http://l.yimg.com/lk/api/res/1.2/5n8N4JUZXpeTGloBqJo6ag--/YXBwaWQ9eW1lZGlhO2g9MjE1O3c9MzAw/http://mit.zenfs.com/102/2010/12/100-bills.jpg

As a metaphor for our troubled economic and financial era -- and the government's stumbling response -- this one's hard to beat: You can't stimulate the economy via the money supply, after all, if you aren't able to print the actual money correctly.

Because of a printing problem, the federal government has shut down production of its flashy new $100 bills, and has quarantined more than one billion of them -- more than ten percent of all existing U.S. cash -- in a vault in Fort Worth, Texas, reports CNBC.

"There is something drastically wrong here," one source said. "The frustration level is off the charts."

In announcing the new bills, officials with the Treasury and the Federal Reserve touted their sophisticated security features, including a 3-D security strip and a color-shifting image of a bell, designed to foil counterfeiters. The new design features debuted after more than a decade of research and development. But it turns out the bills are so high-tech that the printers tasked with producing them can't handle the job.

More than one billion unusable bills have been printed. Some of the bills creased during production, creating a blank space on the paper, according to one official. Because correctly printed bills are mixed in with the flawed ones, even the ones printed to the correct design specs can't be used until they 're sorted. It would take an estimated 20-30 years to weed out the defective bills by hand, so officials are working to develop a mechanized system that could get the job done in about a year.

Combined, the quarantined bills add up to $110 billion dollars -- more than ten percent of the entire U.S. cash supply, which now stands at around $930 billion.

The flawed bills -- which cost around $120 million to print -- will have to burned.

The new bills are the first to include Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner's signature. In order to prevent a shortfall,the government has ordered production of the old design, which includes the signature of Bush administration Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson. That, surely, is not the only respect in which the nation's lead economic officials would like to turn back the clock to sometime prior to the 2008 financial crisis.

(AP Photo of older $100 bills rolling off the presses/Doug Mills)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20101206/us_yblog_thelookout/government-cant-print-money-properly

General of Darkness
6th December 2010, 08:05 AM
This is all I have to say.

http://p21chong.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/us-toilet-paper-money.jpg

mick silver
6th December 2010, 08:05 AM
Combined, the quarantined bills add up to $110 billion dollars -- more than ten percent of the entire U.S. cash supply, which now stands at around $930 billion.

The flawed bills -- which cost around $120 million to print -- will have to burned.

i like this part

Libertytree
6th December 2010, 08:16 AM

i like this part

It's like they say.......

It takes money to make money ;D

Serpo
6th December 2010, 08:34 AM
But,but isnt this what they are good at, printing money, they cant even do that right .

Ponce
6th December 2010, 09:22 AM
Remember that most of the money being produced is in the form of zeros and ones as in a computer..... one of this day someone with a "heavy finger" will be pushing and extra button and instead of giving out 30 triillions they will give out 30 quatrillions.

Silver Shield
6th December 2010, 09:24 AM
Classic!!!

Maybe if they add some zeros to them...

General of Darkness
6th December 2010, 09:25 AM
Hold the phone.

The FED is not the government, they are a CONTRACTOR and should NOT charge the GUBERMENT for it's mistake. If I'm providing a faulty product I wouldn't expect my customers to pay for it. Just my 2 cents.

midnight rambler
6th December 2010, 09:36 AM
The Treasury Dept. is the party actually doing the printing of the FRNs. That plant in Ft. Worth is a USG operation. The Treasury Dept. turns around and sells the FRNs (regardless of denomination) to the Fed at the cost of production, somewhere between 2 and 3 cents each. The Fed then issues those FRNs at full face value. Pretty sweet deal, and like any super sweet deal eventually the ultimate crime bosses will be large and in charge.

Do you appreciate why those IOU-nothings are carried around in armored trucks? It's to maintain the illusion.

Libertytree
6th December 2010, 09:37 AM
Hold the phone.

The FED is not the government, they are a CONTRACTOR and should NOT charge the GUBERMENT for it's mistake. If I'm providing a faulty product I wouldn't expect my customers to pay for it. Just my 2 cents.

You didn't get the memo?! WE pay for every fvck up they make, with interest and lbs of flesh for good measure.

1970 silver art
6th December 2010, 09:51 AM
:ROFL:

I guess that proves that it is possible for the gov't to screw up printing FRN's. How hard can it be for the gov't to print FAKE money?

Joe King
6th December 2010, 12:07 PM
Remember that most of the money being produced is in the form of zeros and ones as in a computer..... one of this day someone with a "heavy finger" will be pushing and extra button and instead of giving out 30 triillions they will give out 30 quatrillions.
All of the "money" being created is in that form. {electronic}

The only reason they print paper "money" is because of the demand for cash by those holding the Right to draw on an account.
i.e. it's nothing but the physical representation of debt that already exists.

If no one ever asked for cash at the bank/ATM, they'd quit printing so much of it.

joe_momma
6th December 2010, 12:18 PM
I predict they'll burn then entire run and start over -

With a 50% error rate, the system to reprint individual notes (denoted by the * on the serial number) cannot work.

Fortunately, the new $100's will be available just as the need to devalue the existing FRNs arises.

Serpo
6th December 2010, 12:55 PM

With a 50% error rate, the system to reprint individual notes (denoted by the * on the serial number) cannot work.

Fortunately, the new $100's will be available just as the need to devalue the existing FRNs arises.

Yes the 100$ will be worth about what a 1$ bill was worth 100yrs ago,haha ,what a track record, why not just throw them in the toilet and be done with it.

Joe King
6th December 2010, 01:09 PM

Yes the 100$ will be worth about what a 1$ bill was worth 100yrs ago,haha ,what a track record, why not just throw them in the toilet and be done with it.
We're already there.

Well, ok. Maybe it's worth $2 now as compared to 100 years ago.
:D