PDA

View Full Version : Iowa prisons testing in-house toilet paper

osoab
6th December 2010, 07:03 PM
Iowa prisons testing in-house toilet paper (http://www.newspressnow.com/localnews/25995886/detail.html)

DES MOINES, Iowa — Iowa prisoners could soon be making their own toilet paper to save taxpayers money and provide jobs.

The Des Moines Register says inmates at prisons in Anamosa and Mitchellville are testing a single-ply tissue processed at a Missouri prison.

Iowa Prison Industries Director Roger Baysden says there have been no complaints about the product from the Cross Roads Correctional Center at Cameron, Mo.

Iowa inmates already make dozens of products, including license plates and office furniture. Baysden says inmates could start processing toilet paper next year — if the Legislature supports the idea.

Iowa's nine prisons use about 900,000 rolls of toilet paper annually. Processing it in-house would save about $100,000 a year compared with buying it from a vendor. It would also create jobs for about 50 inmates.

I don't even want to know what the strength standards are for their tp.

still afloat
6th December 2010, 07:12 PM
DES MOINES, Iowa — Iowa's nine prisons use about 900,000 rolls of toilet paper annually.

Sounds to me like they are feeding them too well !

skid
6th December 2010, 07:37 PM
Geez, and they talk about China's prison labor... Pretty soon prisons will be the new American cost effective factories, able to compete with anyone anywhere.... They're finding lots of reasons to put people in jail as well!

Plastic
6th December 2010, 07:56 PM
Geez, and they talk about China's prison labor... Pretty soon prisons will be the new American cost effective factories, able to compete with anyone anywhere.... They're finding lots of reasons to put people in jail as well!

Agreed, the prisoners need to understand it would be in their best interest to refuse to work and destroy the FOR PROFIT prison system's profits. Personally, if I ever get locked away I will do my best to sabotage every damned piece of expensive machinery I could get my hands on and try to talk others into doing the same.

Destroying the profit's takes away the incentive to lock people away for bullshit reasons thereby reducing prison populations and would almost certainly result in reduced years to be served as well.

I guess starving the beast goes for prisons as well...

palani
7th December 2010, 04:08 AM
I guess starving the beast goes for prisons as well...
There is reason to believe that people are in prison because of bonds: bid, performance and payment bonds. These bonds are based upon your social security account and are never talked about openly. Prison is one of the benefits that accompany social security.

gunDriller
7th December 2010, 05:23 AM
that's great. if they learn to add watermarks and little wavy lines and some holograms, they can get a job at the US Treasury when they're on parole.

Quixote2
7th December 2010, 10:41 PM
Employ 50 prisoners a year for $100,000. That is $2,000 per year per prisoner. Somehow I don't think they will be a threat to the industry. Maybe Ponce can top off his stash with some quality single ply.

Ponce
7th December 2010, 11:26 PM
Oh well, Ponce can't get away from his tp.....I guess that now I know what I'll be doing in the FEMA camp.