PDA

View Full Version : House of Representatives narrowly approves DREAM Act

osoab
8th December 2010, 07:38 PM
House of Representatives narrowly approves DREAM Act; Senate must now vote on immigration bill (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/12/dream-act.html)

In a last-ditch showdown on immigration relief for illegal migrants, the Democratically-controlled House of Representatives on Wednesday narrowly approved the so-called DREAM Act that would offer a pathway to citizenship for undocumented young people who attend college or serve in the military.

The House passed the bill 216 to 198.

The Senate is scheduled to vote on the bi-partisan legislation, which would potentially legalize hundreds of thousands of young people, on Thursday. Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nevada), majority leader, is not expected to have the 60 votes needed for passage.

Republican leaders said the bill is just another form of "amnesty", one that is too costly to taxpayers and will only invite more illegal border crossings.

With a comprehensive overhaul of the immigration system dead, Democrats and immigrant advocates believe the Dream Act is the last best chance to win legal status for at least some illegal migrants before Republicans take control of the House in January.

Democratic congressional leaders chose to push forward with the DREAM Act, a bipartisan bill, because even some conservatives believe that the young people who would benefit were brought here illegally by others through no fault of their own and should not have to suffer for it.

They chose the DREAM Act -- formally known as the Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act of 2010 -- to push forward because even some conservatives believe that the young people who would benefit were brought here illegally by others through no fault of their own and should not have to suffer for it.

The Obama administration has supported the Democrats’ effort and, in a statement on Wednesday, repeated its strong endorsement. “While the broader immigration debate continues, the administration urges the Senate to take this important step and pass the DREAM Act,” it said.

In addition, the measure is supported by some pro-military groups as a way to help provide for the nation’s military needs. Clifford Stanley, the undersecretary of defense for personnel and readiness, said this week that the measure was a “common-sense" and "obvious" way to attract more high-quality recruits to the armed forces.

Faith groups and many educational leaders also mobilized for the measure, including UCLA Chancellor Gene Block, who argued that the students’ skills and talents were badly needed to help the nation in an increasingly competitive global economy.

The legislation would give hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants a chance at becoming legal. The requirements state that, to be eligible, a person must have been brought to the United States before he or she was 16, been in the United States for five years, earned a high-school degree and be attending college or be in the military.

In recent days, Democrats had aimed to pick up some Republican support by dropping the maximum eligible age from 35 to 29, extending the waiting period for a green card from six to 10 years and eliminating the requirement that DREAM Act youth pay tuition at in-state rates rather than out-of-state rates. In-state tuition, which is what undocumented students in California pay, amounts to an average annual public subsidy of about $6,000 nationally per student.

Some Democrats, in an effort to attract Republicans in agricultural states, had also pushed to add to the DREAM Act provisions to ease the process to bring in legal farm workers.

Most Republicans opposed the act as unjustified “amnesty” for lawbreakers or said no legalization should be considered until the border was first secured. Others said they would be willing to consider legal status for the youth but opposed provisions to allow eventual legalization of their lawbreaking parents. Still others objected to the added cost for public services for the DREAM Act youth.

A Congressional Budget Office analysis this month estimated the House version of the DREAM Act would reduce deficits by about $2.2 billion and increase revenues by $1.7 billion over the 2011-2020 period. It estimates that the Senate version of the legislation would reduce deficits by about $1.4 billion and increase revenue by $2.3 billion over the 2011-2020 period.

The DREAM Act “rewards parents who broke the law through their kids, puts a significant expense on taxpayers and will overwhelm community colleges with new students,” said Ira Mehlman of the Federation for American Immigration Reform.

Ivan Rosales, a 21-year-old senior and biology major at Cal State San Bernardino, said he has dreamed of becoming a military doctor. Rosales, who was brought here illegally by parents from Mexico when he was less than a year old, was a straight-A student at Rialto High School and a science whiz awarded science fair honors and a merit-based presidential scholarship.

He was attracted to the military after joining the ROTC high school program and finding he enjoyed the discipline and organization, he said. He also was inspired by an older brother in the Air Force Reserves and a brother-in-law who served in Iraq. But unless he has legal status, he cannot join the military.

“Being in the military is the ultimate sign of your patriotism and showing your love for this country and its values,” Rosales said.

If the bill fails in the Senate, immigrant advocates say they won’t give up. In coming months, advocates say, they will assess their options -- including ways to leverage the growing number of Latino voters as national elections loom in two years.

“There’s going to be a lot of heartbreak and blame-placing, but we will have to regroup,” said Antonio Gonzales of the William C. Velasquez Institute, a Los Angeles-based public policy analysis group.

Twisted Titan
8th December 2010, 08:46 PM
the DREAM Act, a bipartisan bill, because even some conservatives believe that the young people who would benefit were brought here illegally by others through no fault of their own and should not have to suffer for it.

But the Taxpayer should suffer for it ecomocially, financially and socially right??

Thanks for clearing that up.

Effers.

T

chad
9th December 2010, 05:43 AM
if this passes and gets signed in to law, the country is screwed on such a monumental scale that it is difficult to even comprehend.

my family is in the process of selling a bakery that has been owned since the early 1960s. it's located in ixtapa, mexico, huge tourist area. this area has always been one of the nicest places you could go in mexico. simply beautiful, great people, etc.

why is my family selling it? complete lawlessness is starting. anarchy. cops turning their heads to everything. lady my mom know got her hand cut off because she had rings on it, and they didn't want to spare the time to make her take it off, just drug her in to an alley, held her down, and chopped it off with a meat cleaver.

locals won't talk about anything because you'll get "disappeared" in the middle of the night.

this is coming to the united states in a refined form if this bill passes.

mrnhtbr2232
9th December 2010, 05:49 AM
if this passes and gets signed in to law, the country is screwed on such a monumental scale that it is difficult to even comprehend.

You mean it's not already? I must have missed that one.

chad
9th December 2010, 05:55 AM
it has been described to me by a family friend down there as "saltamontes." the locusts. once they come, everything is destroyed.

forcho130
9th December 2010, 06:04 AM
Just great.
The more you subsidize something, the more you get of it.
I can see more illegals and their children coming over to take advantage of DREAM Act II and DREAM Act III.

My parents had to wait in line the legal way to gain citizenship. These law breakers piss me off to no end.

Every illegal we catch should be sent to and outsourced to a Mexican prison.

Apparition
9th December 2010, 06:08 AM
I've been following this amnesty bill and although I expected it to pass the House I doubt it'll pass the senate because some Dems are expected to oppose it while almost all Repubs, except maybe 1-3, are also expected to oppose it.

We'll see...

General of Darkness
9th December 2010, 06:09 AM
Here's what the politicians are AWARE of, but don't talk about. Once these illegal students become legal, they bring all of their family members over to make them legal, or get their illegal family members that are HERE to get legal residency.

America, a great idea that was destroyed by it's guberment.

cedarchopper
9th December 2010, 06:43 AM
While I have compassion for the circumstances of some of these young people, since all they know is living in the US, it is a slippery slope to more illegal immigration, legalization of more illegals, and a complete change of American society through the backdoor. Hundreds of thousands of young people getting legalization will translate into millions.

I've seen the situation first hand and know what the changes entail. The county and little town where I lived has undergone major changes because of illegal immigration. It used to be a German community with a couple of long time Mexican families...now, after becoming a magnet for illegals because it is unincorporated, away from Border Patrol, and a lot construction work...it is now close to being majority Hispanic in the schools, property taxes have gone up 10x's over 20 years (about the same time-frame as the illegal immigration wave), and the town has gone downhill. It is a historic town (on the National Register of Historic Places), but it now surrounded by slipshod buildings - single-wides that they have built around, onto, and expanded (some two story) - seems to be the architectural style they have brought. They have large families very quickly and all the kids born here are legal.

While I like many of them and they are mostly hard workers, it wasn't the choice of the people to undergo the changes, it was the Federal government that has made it possible.

hoarder
9th December 2010, 07:00 AM
The purpose of this bill is to once and for all, eliminate any hope that there will be a revolution.
a pathway to citizenship for undocumented young people who attend college or serve in the military.

Our rulers will simply recruit as many millions of third worlders as needed to the military in the war against "domestic terrorism".

sirgonzo420
9th December 2010, 07:52 AM
The purpose of this bill is to once and for all, eliminate any hope that there will be a revolution.
a pathway to citizenship for undocumented young people who attend college or serve in the military.

Our rulers will simply recruit as many millions of third worlders as needed to the military in the war against "domestic terrorism".

That's the same thing I thought.

Fun fun.

ShortJohnSilver
9th December 2010, 08:07 AM
If it passes, why bother to pay taxes? Apparently it doesn't seem to matter if you break the law anymore, and if you can wait it out, you can even benefit from it.

willie pete
9th December 2010, 08:21 AM
if these kids and young adults of illegals are so smart, why don't they go back to their own countries and try and improve them? it's a brain-drain, so ship'em back, ......and giving legal status to children that are born to illegals has to change too

midnight rambler
9th December 2010, 08:35 AM

That's the same thing I thought.

Fun fun.

Clifford Stanley, the undersecretary of defense for personnel and readiness, said this week that the measure was a “common-sense" and "obvious" way to attract more high-quality recruits to the armed forces.

Their intentions cannot be taken for anything else.

k-os
9th December 2010, 09:01 AM
Just great.
I can see more illegals and their children coming over to take advantage of DREAM Act II and DREAM Act III.

My parents had to wait in line the legal way to gain citizenship. These law breakers piss me off to no end.

Hi there, forcho130, and welcome to GSUS.

I know a lot of immigrants from many different countries - Argentina, Brazil, Cuba, Guatemala, Honduras, (what once was) Yugoslavia. They are all legal. They all had to take American History classes, learn English, and assimilate. With the exception of the Guatemalans, all of them are very bright, and high wage earners (VP at a University, ship captain, department directors). The Guatemalans, on the other hand, are really hard workers and have a good work ethic, even if their wages are meager.

I am 100% for LEGAL immigration, but in my version of a perfect world, we would not have all of these social services to lure them in here in the first place.

Also, I have found that the people that are most pissed off about any proposed amnesty are those who took the time and effort to get here legally.

chad
9th December 2010, 09:04 AM
Just great.

Hi there, forcho130, and welcome to GSUS.

I know a lot of immigrants from many different countries - Argentina, Brazil, Cuba, Guatemala, Honduras, (what once was) Yugoslavia. They are all legal. They all had to take American History classes, learn English, and assimilate. With the exception of the Guatemalans, all of them are very bright, and high wage earners (VP at a University, ship captain, department directors). The Guatemalans, on the other hand, are really hard workers and have a good work ethic, even if their wages are meager.

I am 100% for LEGAL immigration, but in my version of a perfect world, we would not have all of these social services to lure them in here in the first place.

Also, I have found that the people that are most pissed off about any proposed amnesty are those who took the time and effort to get here legally.

no doubt, k-os. my wife has a good friend from ukraine (now u.s. citizen) who GOES OFF on illegal immigration. she makes us seem like saints.

Ponce
9th December 2010, 09:07 AM
Those who served in the military? YES......... those going to college? case by case.

Horn
9th December 2010, 09:27 AM
The timing of this thing is obviously planned to cause chaos.

The globalist agenda is always right near the top for emergency congressional sessions.

hoarder
9th December 2010, 09:29 AM
I am 100% for LEGAL immigration
:oo-->
"The Jewish people as a whole will be its own Messiah. It will attain world domination by the dissolution of other races...and by the establishment of a world republic in which everywhere the Jews will exercise the privilege of citizenship. In this New World Order the Children of Israel...will furnish all the leaders without encountering opposition..." (Karl Marx in a letter to Baruch Levy, quoted in Review de Paris, June 1, 1928, p. 574)

Shorty Harris
9th December 2010, 09:37 AM
Just another nail... :-[

Horn
9th December 2010, 09:38 AM
I am 100% for LEGAL immigration
:oo-->
"The Jewish people as a whole will be its own Messiah. It will attain world domination by the dissolution of other races...and by the establishment of a world republic in which everywhere the Jews will exercise the privilege of citizenship. In this New World Order the Children of Israel...will furnish all the leaders without encountering opposition..." (Karl Marx in a letter to Baruch Levy, quoted in Review de Paris, June 1, 1928, p. 574)

Its like "The Who's" production of Tommy.

Come to this house, be one of U.S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UplizQG9C9A

Apparition
9th December 2010, 09:41 AM
It appears that it'll be voted on next week likely because Reid and his cronies don't have the votes and they may try to bribe other senators with pork and things to vote yes.

But still, I doubt it'll pass.

ShortJohnSilver
9th December 2010, 10:58 AM
Come to this house, be one of U.S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UplizQG9C9A

Ah yes, the IFCJ - International Fooling of Christians by Jews ... run by a rabbi in Chicago who tells other Jews to go home to Israel -- while he stays in the USA and pays himself $400K per year.

Horn
9th December 2010, 11:36 AM
Ah yes, the IFCJ - International Fooling of Christians by Jews ... run by a rabbi in Chicago who tells other Jews to go home to Israel -- while he stays in the USA and pays himself $400K per year.

Is that the guy in the video?

Seems like I know that guy from a past life dream, or something?

Quite an act, just to remain on topic...

iOWNme
9th December 2010, 12:18 PM
the DREAM Act, a bipartisan bill, because even some conservatives believe that the young people who would benefit were brought here illegally by others through no fault of their own and should not have to suffer for it.

But the Taxpayer should suffer for it ecomocially, financially and socially right??

Thanks for clearing that up.

Effers.

T

QUOTED FOR TRUTH.

mick silver
9th December 2010, 12:46 PM
it look like the NWO is almost in place now ...