PDA

View Full Version : this $30 silver is pissing me off

chad
9th December 2010, 07:03 AM
trying to buy anything off ebay has now become impossible. the last few days junk silver dollars have gone insane. $35 shipped for a 90% dollar?

i remember a few years ago when i could buy these stupid peace dollars for $3. :soap

mike88
9th December 2010, 08:44 AM
currency dilution?

chad
9th December 2010, 08:46 AM
no dobt.

i wish they would just go one direction or the other. suppress the hell out of it, or let it go.

i suspect this plan is genius, however. slowly bleed everyone out.

1970 silver art
9th December 2010, 08:49 AM
I am in that same boat as you are chad except for me it is '70's silver art bars. I usually buy most of my silver art bars locally at coin shows and at coin dealers but I occasionally buy a few '70's silver art bars on ebay. The highest premium that I paid for a 1-oz '70's silver art bar on ebay was a BIN price of $24 over spot silver. I knew that I was going to pay a nose-bleed premium for that particular bar on ebay but the reason that I bought it because it was one of the silver art bars that was on my wish list that I could not find locally for a .999 generic silver premium. I do not mind paying a very high premium to buy the silver art bars that I want on ebay but I will not make it a habit of paying $24 over spot for a 1-oz '70's silver art bar. I have my limits to on what I am willing to pay for a silver art bar on ebay.

Also I do not worry about occasionally paying that high of a premium for a silver art bar on ebay because 1.) A vast majority of the silver art bars (including some rare art bars) in my collection were local art bar finds that I paid between $1 to $2 over spot silver for and 2.) I rack up some ebay bucks that I can apply for a silver art bar purchase for the next calender quarter.

With all of that said, I also see some very common minted '70's silver art bars (such as Madison Mint and Hamilton Mint) on ebay that sell for crazy BIN premiums like $10, $20, and even $30 over spot and they do not come even close to being worth that even on a regular ebay auction. Also, These are the same common minted art bars that you can more than likely find at a local coin shop for $1 to $2 over spot silver.

Ebay is like anywhere else. You have not know what you are looking for and get an idea of how much you are willing to pay for it. I am on ebay everyday looking at prices and I can see the trend that more and more silver art bar auctions are now BIN auctions that are priced too high for a lot of common minted '70's silver art bars and they do not move very fast or not at all.

chad
9th December 2010, 08:58 AM
what is setting me off is this morning i have had 2 people i won auctions from tell me they are not shipping my stuff because they have decided to hang on to the item or relist it because of the higher prices.

what are you going to do? give them bad feedback? that will just end up costing you in the end.

arrrrrgh.

SLV^GLD
9th December 2010, 09:01 AM
what is setting me off is this morning i have had 2 people i won auctions from tell me they are not shipping my stuff because they have decided to hang on to the item or relist it because of the higher prices.

what are you going to do? give them bad feedback? that will just end up costing you in the end.

arrrrrgh.
That is bullshit! The eBay auction is a contract for the buyer AND the seller. Thanks to a pointer from StackerKen I've been pickling up the 90% state quarter proofs for under spot (incl. shipping) every time.

1970 silver art
9th December 2010, 09:05 AM

arrrrrgh.

WOW!!!! That has not happened to me..........yet. I do not think that there is anything you can do about that chad. However, I think that when they relist or pull an auction, then that ebay seller will still pay the listing fee (but not a final auction fee?). If I am wrong on this, then feel free to correct me.

If an ebay seller will not honor that auction winning price by not shipping the item, then the best plan of action that I can think of is to not do business with that ebay seller since that ebay seller will not hold up their end of the contract between you and that seller.

chad
9th December 2010, 09:10 AM
i reported both of them, but you know, nothing happens. it just wasted an entire week of my time during which i could have bought other stuff on the dips.

i am done with ebay unless it is some coin store with 12,756 transactions with 100% positive feedback.

mamboni
9th December 2010, 09:19 AM
I collect silver speculums and have paid well over $30 over spot for some of the more exotic ones. Silver speculums go back over 300 years. Silver fell out of fashion about 60 years ago and stainless steel became the norm. Many silver specula have been melted down or consigned to museums, so they are becoming quite rare. At the last I.S.S.S.C. conference, a Louis XVI silver speculum auctioned for $3500 though it contained only 7.4 oz of silver!!!

Silver specula have outstanding price appreciation potential. After my boating accident where I lost all of my monster boxes, silver specula now represent the bulk of my physical silver. You might say that I am a true silver 'speculator.' ;D

bellevuebully
10th December 2010, 05:22 AM
Quick question for you guys: what is a reasonable price to pay for junk coins, how much over face value? tia

sirgonzo420
10th December 2010, 05:41 AM
Quick question for you guys: what is a reasonable price to pay for junk coins, how much over face value? tia

About $22.25 per 90% Dollar according to coinflation.com

So about 22.25 x face.

bellevuebully
10th December 2010, 06:05 AM

About $22.25 per 90% Dollar according to coinflation.com

So about 22.25 x face.

So 20.7 is not a bad deal. Thats what my local dealer has them on for. Thanks sg.

gunDriller
11th December 2010, 01:58 PM

a Franklin or Kennedy half has .363 ounces of silver.

so 2 halves ($1 face) have .726 ounces of silver - worth $20.82. so, 20.8 times face.

but the other rule of thumb is that $1 face has .715 ounces - reflecting weight loss because some coins are more worn. ==> 20.5 times face.

i think it depends a little bit on condition, and whether the dealer will let you hand-pick the coins.

BeefJerky
12th December 2010, 03:45 PM
I collect silver speculums and have paid well over $30 over spot for some of the more exotic ones. Silver speculums go back over 300 years. Silver fell out of fashion about 60 years ago and stainless steel became the norm. Many silver specula have been melted down or consigned to museums, so they are becoming quite rare. At the last I.S.S.S.C. conference, a Louis XVI silver speculum auctioned for $3500 though it contained only 7.4 oz of silver!!!

Silver specula have outstanding price appreciation potential. After my boating accident where I lost all of my monster boxes, silver specula now represent the bulk of my physical silver. You might say that I am a true silver 'speculator.' ;D

:o :oWhat about the wood ones of the 1850's?

http://www.fcgapultoscollection.com/amisc.html

gunDriller
13th December 2010, 09:59 AM

i heard Geithner is in the hospital for kidney stones.

do they use silver speculums to remove kidney stones ?

madfranks
13th December 2010, 10:35 AM

I had to image search "speculum" because I didn't know what that was... :o :o :o

ximmy
13th December 2010, 11:40 AM

The true side of mamboni revealed... what about silver stirrups???

cedarchopper
13th December 2010, 11:49 AM
Here is a non-sterling example:

mamboni
13th December 2010, 11:49 AM

The true side of mamboni revealed... what about silver stirrups???

Why do you ask Ximmy dear? Interested in a little rough riding, hmmmm? :whip

chad
13th December 2010, 02:51 PM
can imagine the doctor who had to actually use one, say in 1800? SHUDDER.

woodman
23rd December 2010, 06:48 PM

Very interesting mamboni. I had to look it up too. Found this. Boston craigslist.

speculumSee your Creampies thru silver vaginal speculum - m4mw
Hi I'm Ted, See your fresh creampie from your hot lovemaking 'after I crank her open for our inspection with my silver vaginal speculum and with my LED flahlight see both of your ...

boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cas/1973236089.html

solid
24th December 2010, 07:47 AM
I think the lesson here is to avoid silver speculums, because you just never know where they have been. It seems speculums get around and can be used for a wide variety of purposes, many of which we'd rather not know about.