PDA

View Full Version : Escondido Bomb House

BrewTech
9th December 2010, 10:22 AM
I'm surprised nobody has been talking about this... it's been going on since Nov. 18th. They are burning the house today, which means they have closed the freeway I use to go to work. I guess I'll just drink beer today instead.

The way they are milking this, it's pretty clear they are putting on a show for the benefit of the proletariat.

The live feed is here ... http://www.signonsandiego.com/bomb-house/

http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=13635073
The Escondido house filled with explosives is scheduled to be burned between 10am to 11am. Thursday, December 9, weather permitting. Residents in the evacuation area are urged to leave, according to the sheriff's department.

Interstate 15 will be closed 30 minutes prior to the start of the burn. Closure will last aproximately three hours during the burn. CLICK HERE for all the traffic details.

SAN DIEGO (AP) — Fire officials kept a close eye on weather patterns Thursday as they prepared to torch a house so laden with explosives that authorities have no other choice but to burn it to the ground.

Wind currents and other weather patterns are hugely important in the highly controlled burn operation because authorities do not want a smoke plume to spread throughout the heavily populated suburban area. The burn was originally set to occur at 9:30 a.m. local time but was delayed for an hour or more to make sure the weather is right.

Arson officers opened windows and doors while holes were drilled in the roof to ensure adequate ventilation for the fire. Authorities were given protective breathing masks in case they must enter the house if the blaze got out of control.

Before torching the home, officials were awaiting wind conditions that would allow the smoke to go straight up in the air.

"It will burn very hotly, very quickly," said Jan Caldwell, a spokeswoman for the San Diego County Sheriff's Department. "We want everybody to do this job safely and go home to their family."

Tim Latulippe, whose backyard borders Jakubec's property, said he was sure the burn would go off without a hitch. He hoped to watch it live on the Internet with his automotive students at Escondido High School. His wife planned to watch from the family camper, parked at a friend's house across town.

"They're going to burn a house down, it's going to be cool, and we get to go back to our normal lives," Latulippe said as the family prepared to evacuate.

The house was rented by an out-of-work software consultant who allegedly assembled an astonishing quantity of bomb-making materials that included chemicals used by Middle Eastern suicide bombers. Investigators are still trying to understand his motivation for allegedly possessing the material.

Bomb-squad experts determined the residence was too dangerous to go inside, so they drew up plans to burn it down. The home is so cluttered with unstable chemicals that even bomb-disposing robots can't be used to enter it.

The fire is expected to reach about 1,800 degrees Fahrenheit — hot enough to neutralize the unstable explosives inside.

Sheriff's deputies knocked on doors Wednesday night to urge scores of residents to leave before the fire. People farther away were told to close their windows and stay inside during the burn.

Crews have built a 16-foot firewall and covered it with fire resistant gel to protect the closest homes. Officials also planned to close down a section of Interstate 15 during the fire that will be monitored by more than a dozen air pollution sensors.

San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore said the burn was expected to last one to four hours.

"It has to be dealt with at some time," Gore said outside San Diego's federal courthouse Wednesday after a judge denied a defense attorney's request to delay the burn. "Our belief is the sooner, the better."

George Jakubec, a 54-year-old unemployed software consultant who rented the Escondido home, has pleaded not guilty to charges of making destructive devices and robbing three banks.

Nearly every room is packed with piles of explosive material and items related to making homemade bombs, prosecutors said. In the backyard, bomb technicians found six mason jars with highly unstable Hexamethylene triperoxide diamine, or HMDT, which can explode if someone steps on it.

A coffee table was found cluttered with documents and strewn with detonators, prosecutors said. A bowl of white powdery HMDT also was found.

"The coffee table is what the bomb squad calls ground zero," Assistant U.S. Attorney Rees Morgan told the judge. "This really was an assembly line for detonators being created in his house. ... It is a no-go zone."

Bomb squad officers who inspected the property believe Jakubec has manufactured so many devices for so long that "even he has forgotten the location and type of explosives stashed throughout the property," prosecutors said in a court filing.

Officers said they found the same types of chemicals used by suicide bombers and insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan. The materials included Pentaerythritol tetranitrate, or PETN, which was used in the 2001 airliner shoe-bombing attempt as well as airplane cargo bombs discovered last month by authorities.

The chemicals were found after a gardener accidentally set off an explosion at the home by stepping on what authorities believe was a byproduct of HMTD.

Defense attorneys wanted to delay the burn to allow more time to collect evidence, including notes scribbled on graph paper and a hardcover book about mining.

But U.S. District Judge Larry Burns accepted testimony of FBI bomb expert James Verdi, who said it would be irresponsible to allow anyone to enter.

Verdi, a veteran of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan who was inside the home several times, testified that the HMTD found was "an amount we had never seen, either domestically or internationally."

"My first entry into the backyard, it was like we were entering into a minefield," he said.

Ponce
9th December 2010, 10:41 AM
"Material related to bomb making" are not bombs.......look under your kitchen counter and you have all that you need not only to make bombs but also poisonous gas........they are making a big deal out of nothing in order to show us "how alert" they are.

Someday people like me will be arrested for writing the above......not for making anything but rather for knowing how to make them.

BrewTech
9th December 2010, 10:47 AM
The house was rented by an out-of-work software consultant who allegedly assembled an astonishing quantity of bomb-making materials that included chemicals used by Middle Eastern suicide bombers.

Don't want to leave out the only "connection" that really matters...

Camp Pendleton is just over the hill from there... and they couldn't find any folks that would be able to handle the job. Come on now... the Marines blow sh*t up all over the planet! No one over there knows what to do with this stuff?

Please... looks like more security theater to me. ::)

Not only that but it has completely screwed me (and many others) out of making any (desperately needed) FRNs today.

willie pete
9th December 2010, 10:47 AM
they're getting ready to burn it down now... :D ....they're streaming it live....

...And why the hell are they burning it down? ..does the property owner get reimbursed?

This reminds me of when the Philadelphia PD threw a satchel charge of C-4 on the roof of that row house, blew it up and started a fire that burned down the WHOLE neighborhood.... :lol :lol

Festina Lente
9th December 2010, 11:01 AM
Looks like it's on fire now.

Mouse
9th December 2010, 11:09 AM
If this guy is so bad and making bombs, they are destroying their evidence? So, this man will be convicted in the kangaroo court without evidence. I hope his lawyer is building an argument that they destroyed the evidence necessary to clear the guy of the "charges" Pun?

BrewTech
9th December 2010, 11:12 AM
If this guy is so bad and making bombs, they are destroying their evidence? So, this man will be convicted in the kangaroo court without evidence. I hope his lawyer is building an argument that they destroyed the evidence necessary to clear the guy of the "charges" Pun?

His attorney filed a motion to delay the destruction of the home to preserve evidence, but the judge denied the motion.

Evidence is currently going up in smoke, and I will bet ten to one the guy gets convicted anyway.

I'm betting the house next to it goes up as well, but they don't care since it's been on the market and nobody is living there currently.

willie pete
9th December 2010, 11:15 AM

His attorney filed a motion to delay the destruction of the home to preserve evidence, but the judge denied the motion.

Evidence is currently going up in smoke, and I will bet ten to one the guy gets convicted anyway.

I'm betting the house next to it goes up as well, but they don't care since it's been on the market and nobody is living there currently.

And why didn't they want to clear it instead of burning it down?

BrewTech
9th December 2010, 11:21 AM

Apparently they were too scared. And, no, I'm not kidding.

See my comment above about Camp Pendleton MCS being local. I'm sure there are folks there that could have handled the disposal.

willie pete
9th December 2010, 11:41 AM

See my comment above about Camp Pendleton MCS being local. I'm sure there are folks there that could have handled the disposal.

...it's gone now... :D I'd like to know if the owner will get compensated?

BrewTech
9th December 2010, 11:48 AM

Nope... insurance is not covering it. Owner lives in Carmel Valley and had to watch the complete loss of her property.

willie pete
9th December 2010, 11:51 AM

Nope... insurance is not covering it. Owner lives in Carmel Valley and had to watch the complete loss of her property.

Damn...that'd Suck ;D

BrewTech
9th December 2010, 11:59 AM
In reality, the government owned that house anyway, and they decided to torch it. This example clearly illustrates that fact.

mick silver
9th December 2010, 12:39 PM
if you made a fire would it not make it go boom boom boom

milehi
9th December 2010, 01:18 PM
A couple hours ago, I was servicing an account and most of the employees were gathered around the teevee watching the house burn. The news guy said the actual homeowner of the $500K house would not be compensated. I muttered, "So much for private property rights" just to see what reaction I'd get and was dog piled by everyone.

freespirit
9th December 2010, 08:24 PM
...just watched footage of the house burning on CBC News - The National...

verrrry dramatic footage what with all the billowing black smoke, the charges placed by robots, etc...

"Material related to bomb making" are not bombs.......look under your kitchen counter and you have all that you need not only to make bombs but also poisonous gas........they are making a big deal out of nothing in order to show us "how alert" they are.

Someday people like me will be arrested for writing the above......not for making anything but rather for knowing how to make them.

very true, Ponce... knowledge is a powerful weapon....

Gaillo
9th December 2010, 08:28 PM

Not necessarily, Mick. IF there actually were explosives in that house, there's a good chance they would not be set off by fire. Most high explosives require a concussive "kick" from a blasting cap or other shock wave before they'll detonate. In fact, you can take most of them (including dynamite) and burn them for disposal, without risk of explosion.

freespirit
9th December 2010, 08:40 PM
i think the burning of the house and the resultant evacuation of the immediate area was both a training op and a chance to destroy evidence...a win, win in their books...

or maybe i'm too suspicious...if there is such a thing...

willie pete
9th December 2010, 08:47 PM

Not necessarily, Mick. IF there actually were explosives in that house, there's a good chance they would not be set off by fire. Most high explosives require a concussive "kick" from a blasting cap or other shock wave before they'll detonate. In fact, you can take most of them (including dynamite) and burn them for disposal, without risk of explosion.

C-4 will burn

BrewTech
9th December 2010, 09:46 PM
i think the burning of the house and the resultant evacuation of the immediate area was both a training op and a chance to destroy evidence...a win, win in their books...

or maybe i'm too suspicious...if there is such a thing...

I just went by there about 2:00 this afternoon... the site is literally 100 feet off the freeway. It was still smoldering pretty good... but it smelled just like a normal housefire. I thought maybe there would be a more toxic smell if there were chemicals, explosives and whatnot in there, but I guess I could be wrong.

I watched this whole thing develop over the last few weeks, and there is a lot that isn't right about the way it went down. I suspect it was just more theater to bolster the WoT.

"Remember folks, even if you live in a nice neighborhood, your neighbor could be a terrorist! If you see anyone that doesn't act exactly the same as everyone else, make sure you report it to the authorities... we all need to work together to make sure everyone stays snuggly-wuggly safe!"

k-os
9th December 2010, 09:54 PM
I heard this story unfold on FOX (on XM Radio) . . . and I was so mad. I couldn't wait to see what you all had to say about it, here on GSUS. I searched, and realized that our search feature is still lacking, sadly.

Anyway . . . burning the evidence, huh? How exactly is that right? If they carried away all of these explosives, I would like to know just WTF was so terrifying that they couldn't remove it. What was so awful that they had to burn it, ruining the homeowner's house, putting all of those toxins in the air (talking like a Californian here), and burning evidence.

They were living in that house for 6 months and hadn't managed to blow themselves up accidentally! But yet, they have to burn the house before his trial?

OK, the guy could have been a kook. But we know enough to know that it's not always as simple as that. This story stinks to high heaven, and I want answers.

Hatha Sunahara
9th December 2010, 10:08 PM
They burned the house to save it.

Hatha

Gaillo
9th December 2010, 11:38 PM
They burned the house to save it.
Hatha

Just like they burned the Branch Davidian children to death at Waco, Texas... to save them! >:(