PDA

View Full Version : Lunar Orbiter Four and the far side of the Moon.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
15th December 2010, 11:33 PM
http://images.astronet.ru/pubd/2002/11/25/0001181034/mareOrientale_lunarOrbiter4_full.jpg

Explanation: The Mare Orientale is one of the most striking large scale lunar features. Located on the Moon's extreme western edge, this impact basin is unfortunately difficult to see from an earthbound perspective. It is over 3 billion years old, about 600 miles across and was formed by the impact of an asteroid sized object. The collision caused ripples in the lunar crust resulting in the three concentric circular features visible in this 1967 photograph made by NASA's Lunar Orbiter 4. Molten lava from the Moon's interior flooded the impact site through the fractured crust creating a mare. Dark, smooth regions on the moon are called mare (Latin for sea), because early astronomers thought these areas might be oceans.

Thread for discussion of the far side of the moon. Since the moon is in geosynchronous orbit with Earth, we never see the far side of the moon, only ever the close side. The moon is spinning and moving at the exact right speed to always show one side.

Thoughts on the far side of the moon?

Not much has been written on it, I am finding?

TheNocturnalEgyptian
15th December 2010, 11:45 PM
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap021123.html

Glass
15th December 2010, 11:47 PM
Based on that picture perhaps we should rename it to the backside of the moon?

TheNocturnalEgyptian
16th December 2010, 12:12 AM
Seriously. It is eerie. That was not even part of my perception of the moon at all until tonight.

Cebu_4_2
16th December 2010, 12:45 AM
Maybe that's where they hide all them high speed crafts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eqD-ANP9PY

Neuro
16th December 2010, 01:44 AM
I think I can see a nipple ;D !

The dark side of the moon has freeze dried giant lizards!

65 million years ago... The earth was spinning manically around it's axis in 10 hours, instead of today's 24... The centripetal forces around the equator were equal to the gravity of earths mass, thus a virtually weightless existence around the equator, allowing lizards to grow to a hundred tons, or fly, or insects witha wingspan of 4-5 feet, or ferns growing to 100-200 feet height...

Earth was spinning faster and faster, until suddenly a segment large as today's moon was broken off. The denser masses from the core of the earth ended up always facing the sun, while the lighter crust samples ended up on the darkside of the moon, that's where you can expect to find freeze-dried dinosaurs remains...

Strange that there have been no missions to the farside of the moon, aye?

Neuro
16th December 2010, 01:53 AM
Strange thing is though, the kinetic energy of today's earth moon system is perfectly equal to a planet earths size with moons mass added to it spinning at 10 hours around it's axis.

As wild as the theory seems at first thought, the more it holds up to scrutiny. The real reason why we don't see the giant creatures and plants that were on earth 65 million years ago, is that it is impossible for them to survive under earths current gravity.

midnight rambler
16th December 2010, 10:19 AM
All the facts about the moon indicate it's an artificial satellite.

keehah
16th December 2010, 10:19 AM
The moon appears as earth's giant eyeball staring out into space?

Awoke
16th December 2010, 10:30 AM
I'm sorry, I don't normally correct spelling, but it's "centrifugal"

Cebu_4_2
16th December 2010, 11:27 AM
Strange thing is though, the kinetic energy of today's earth moon system is perfectly equal to a planet earths size with moons mass added to it spinning at 10 hours around it's axis.

As wild as the theory seems at first thought, the more it holds up to scrutiny. The real reason why we don't see the giant creatures and plants that were on earth 65 million years ago, is that it is impossible for them to survive under earths current gravity.

Earths current gravity could be because it is larger than it was millions of years ago.. this video kidof explains, and the animated mapping seems to confirm, but what do I know. What say ye?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJfBSc6e7QQ

Hatha Sunahara
16th December 2010, 11:57 AM
The moon is spinning and moving at the exact right speed to always show one side.

Do we know for a fact that the moon is spinning on its axis? We'd see the same thing if it wasn't spinning. Wouldn't we?

Explanation: The Mare Orientale is one of the most striking large scale lunar features. Located on the Moon's extreme western edge, this impact basin is unfortunately difficult to see from an earthbound perspective. It is over 3 billion years old, about 600 miles across and was formed by the impact of an asteroid sized object.

This states as fact that the moon was struck by an object. I have often wondered about the craters on the moon. The idea that they were created by impact of objects striking the moon has always been difficult for me to digest. Then I read about David Talbott and Wallace Thornhill who wrote Thunderbolts of the Gods. They claim that the moon's craters are caused by huge electrical discharges hitting the surface--like lightning bolts. This is more plausible than collisions with space objects.

There is a good synopsis of the electric universe theory here:

http://www.thunderbolts.info/synopsis2.htm

Hatha

Dogman
16th December 2010, 12:18 PM
The moon is spinning and moving at the exact right speed to always show one side.

Do we know for a fact that the moon is spinning on its axis? We'd see the same thing if it wasn't spinning. Wouldn't we?

Explanation: The Mare Orientale is one of the most striking large scale lunar features. Located on the Moon's extreme western edge, this impact basin is unfortunately difficult to see from an earthbound perspective. It is over 3 billion years old, about 600 miles across and was formed by the impact of an asteroid sized object.

This states as fact that the moon was struck by an object. I have often wondered about the craters on the moon. The idea that they were created by impact of objects striking the moon has always been difficult for me to digest. Then I read about David Talbott and Wallace Thornhill who wrote Thunderbolts of the Gods. They claim that the moon's craters are caused by huge electrical discharges hitting the surface--like lightning bolts. This is more plausible than collisions with space objects.

There is a good synopsis of the electric universe theory here:

http://www.thunderbolts.info/synopsis2.htm

Hatha

Have watched the vids and read probably the same you have. I lean more to this!

The moon has no geological activity, It has no atmosphere, So unlike earth which is unlike the moon in
that it is still dynamic , weathering and the more plausible plate tectonics, , if given time
any scar from something hitting it, will be erased, the moon on the other hand, can not, so the scars remain
forever or at least until something else happens.

Awoke
16th December 2010, 12:23 PM
I wish the picture was higher resolution and larger.

But thanks for posting it.

Can you guys see the lizard people in there, looking out?
;)

Joe King
16th December 2010, 12:35 PM

Hatha

The fact that you always see the same side from the vantage point here on Earth, is testament to the fact that it spins one rotation with every orbit of the Earth it makes.
Is there any other way that could possibly occur?

madfranks
16th December 2010, 12:39 PM

"Looking at all the anomalies and unanswered questions regarding the Moon, the best explanation for the Moon is observational error; it doesn't exist"

-Irwin I.Shapiro, Harvard Astrophysicist

Dogman
16th December 2010, 12:40 PM

"Looking at all the anomalies and unanswered questions regarding the Moon, the best explanation for the Moon is observational error; it doesn't exist"

-Irwin I.Shapiro, Harvard Astrophysicist

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Dam you Stop!

:lol

Serpo
16th December 2010, 12:52 PM
speaking of the moon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DPF0gcXrQk&feature=player_embedded

Hatha Sunahara
16th December 2010, 01:08 PM
I watched the Neal Adams Conspiracy of Science video. To me, it is another example of how science and our consciousness are changing.

I'm always interested in new ways of looking at things. A lot of explanations of what we see don't really explain anything but reinforce what we already believe. Anybody who comes up with a new way of looking at things has to overcome the inertia of conservatism. Conservatism is really a resistance to new ideas, based on a fear of having to use your brain to learn something new.

I get excited when I see people challenging established theories with better ones. I wasn't aware of the growing earth theory until now. I've been relearning everything I knew. I don't believe too much of what I was taught. Much of it was outright lies. I do believe what I have learned for myself. And what makes sense.

Hatha

G2Rad
16th December 2010, 01:16 PM
I wonder whether female astronauts have periods when in space

how exactly females synchronize to the moon?

Joe King
16th December 2010, 01:24 PM
I have often wondered whether female astronauts have periods when in space
Why wouldn't they?

Besides, nowadays there's ways of fixing that, so if it's a problem it doesn't have to be.

Dogman
16th December 2010, 01:25 PM
I have often wondered whether female astronauts have periods when in space

:ROFL: :ROFL:

Guarantee you if more than one together, they will get into sync with each other
quick. At my last major job, had maybe 140-160 woman working together, and
I guarantee you, when one went on the rag , soon all were. and if male, duck and
cover! And strangely I have seen a correlation with the full moon!

:o

SLV^GLD
16th December 2010, 01:28 PM
Thoughts on the far side of the moon?

Not much has been written on it, I am finding?

Just a genre-defining album:
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEv-nDW1WwLUKfFYiGqYLR6NmVRtd_us3X5YZLfXgIJgZKVXtBQg

Joe King
16th December 2010, 01:33 PM
I'm sorry, but he had it right.
Besides, "centrifugal force" is not a "force" at all.

G2Rad
16th December 2010, 01:35 PM
Why wouldn't they?

A month is a unit of time, used with calendars, which was first used and invented in Mesopotamia, as a natural period related to the motion of the Moon

Joe King
16th December 2010, 01:48 PM
Why wouldn't they?

A month is a unit of time, used with calendars, which was first used and invented in Mesopotamia, as a natural period related to the motion of the Moon
Ok. But what does that have to do with whether or not women astronauts can have their period while in orbit?

Personally, I'd think they could just schedule around it.

G2Rad
16th December 2010, 01:57 PM
But what does that have to do with whether or not women astronauts can have their period while in orbit?

the same reason why the length of "days" of a caver without a watch in a cave varied widely, from 40 hours to just six

G2Rad
16th December 2010, 02:00 PM
I don't know how they sync with the Moon. can they feel subtle changes in gravitational pull? ???

asking them is more than futile

SilverMagnet
16th December 2010, 02:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2xChmfLlMo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eem7hDeREsY&feature=related

By the year 2020, the far side will start to look vastly different as it is tapped for Helium 3. Another case of films like "The Time Machine" and "Moon" predicting actual future events.

G2Rad
17th December 2010, 09:16 AM
tha moon

Joe King
17th December 2010, 10:27 AM
I don't know how they sync with the Moon. can they feel subtle changes in gravitational pull? ???

asking them is more than futile
Are you saying they only have them during a Full Moon? ???

TheNocturnalEgyptian
17th December 2010, 01:13 PM
Also another thing I never understood is why people diss on the idea that planets and celestial bodies can subtley affect our life.

The moon pushes and pulls every ocean on earth 2x/day. Why can not Jupiter, many times the size of earth, have an effect?

joe_momma
17th December 2010, 01:38 PM
Also another thing I never understood is why people diss on the idea that planets and celestial bodies can subtley affect our life.

The moon pushes and pulls every ocean on earth 2x/day. Why can not Jupiter, many times the size of earth, have an effect?

The (net) gravitational pull of Jupiter for a person on earth is less than the gravitational pull of the can of "Great Value Carrots" a foot away.

Gravitational force is an inverse square relationship - double the distance and get 1/4 the force (quadruple the distance get 1/16, etc...) - an Jupiter is very far away (relative the can of carrots).

Joe King
17th December 2010, 01:55 PM
The (net) gravitational pull of Jupiter for a person on earth is less than the gravitational pull of the can of "Great Value Carrots" a foot away.

I don't know, I've read on the interwebs before that those kind of carrots can exert a might strong pull in some people. :D

Libertytree
17th December 2010, 02:00 PM
GVC's lost their gravitational war with me today, the DelMonte's were BOGO ;D

Joe King
17th December 2010, 02:06 PM
Me too.

The other day, I swear, it was just the other day, I almost bought some Great Value whole cashews.....until I saw the same size name brand ones for only one cent more. ;D
Great Value totally wasn't a great value.

Neuro
18th December 2010, 02:13 AM
Me too.

The other day, I swear, it was just the other day, I almost bought some Great Value whole cashews.....until I saw the same size name brand ones for only one cent more. ;D
Great Value totally wasn't a great value.
But in all likelihood the great value cashews and the name brand has the same producer, it is just the label that differs... But paying a cent extra to appear to be a high-roller buying brand produce is cheap!

You cheap fuck!

;D

Neuro
18th December 2010, 02:35 AM

Earths current gravity could be because it is larger than it was millions of years ago.. this video kidof explains, and the animated mapping seems to confirm, but what do I know. What say ye?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJfBSc6e7QQ

That is interesting. Probably a smaller sized earth was rotating much faster. Interesting also that there must have been far less water on earth then. The density of earth must have been much bigger then also, unless mass was added which I don't think is likely... Hydrogen core? To what density is it possible to compress hydrogen?

Awoke
18th December 2010, 06:53 AM
I'm sorry, but he had it right.
Besides, "centrifugal force" is not a "force" at all.

Indeed it is. I learned about it in grade 9 science.

centrifuge, device using centrifugal force to separate substances of different density, e.g., cream from milk. Substances are placed in containers that are spun at speeds high enough to cause the heavier elements to sink. The first successful centrifuge was built in 1883 by the Swedish engineer Carl G.P. de Laval.

However, I had never heard of Centripetal, so I looked it up....

centrifugal (sèn-trîf´ye-gel, -trîf´e-) adjective
1. Moving or directed away from a center or axis.
2. Operated by means of centrifugal force.

centripetal (sèn-trîp´î-tl) adjective
1. Moving or directed toward a center or axis.
2. Operated by means of centripetal force.

centrifugal force noun
The component of apparent force on a body in curvilinear motion, as observed from that body, that is directed away from the center of curvature or axis of rotation.

centripetal force noun
The component of force acting on a body in curvilinear motion that is directed toward the center of curvature or axis of rotation.

It seems neither one of those terms apply to the moons orbit. Interesting....

Vaughn Pollux
18th December 2010, 12:19 PM
I wonder whether female astronauts have periods when in space

how exactly females synchronize to the moon?

We're hairy beasts. Surely the female units are attracted to werewolves, and are therefore required to sync up to our cycle.

woodman
28th January 2012, 05:31 PM

How about the Earth growing bigger over time? Would explain the continents breaking apart too. Mass generator at the core?

Cebu_4_2
28th January 2012, 06:33 PM
The continents seem to line up with a smaller earth like in the video I posted.

mick silver
28th January 2012, 07:25 PM
what the hell is that on the left side of the moon ?

Cebu_4_2
28th January 2012, 10:14 PM
Good catch!! I looked right past that and I am a printer... Seems to be binding holes for a notebook. This picture is either a hoax or artists rendition of the moon.

Neuro
29th January 2012, 03:43 AM
How about the Earth growing bigger over time? Would explain the continents breaking apart too. Mass generator at the core?

I don't know about the earths mass increasing, but it certainly looks like it's volume is/has been expanding...

Silver Rocket Bitches!
30th January 2012, 07:32 AM
I check out the astronomy picture of the day on a daily basis and I remember them posting this crater last year. It wasn't quite as striking as the picture in the OP probably because it didn't show the size perspective.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110312.html

If that thing was Earth facing it would probably make the moon look like the Death Star.

BrewTech
30th January 2012, 07:55 AM
If that thing was Earth facing it would probably make the moon look like the Death Star.

(insert short Obi Wan Kenobi clip here... you know the one!)

JDRock
31st January 2012, 10:12 AM
Just a genre-defining album:
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEv-nDW1WwLUKfFYiGqYLR6NmVRtd_us3X5YZLfXgIJgZKVXtBQg

greatest....EVER.

Korbin Dallas
31st January 2012, 07:50 PM
what the hell is that on the left side of the moon ?

If you look real close, it's a sign that says "Future WalMart Location"