PDA

View Full Version : ready reserve ammo

chad
17th December 2010, 08:47 AM
was listening to dave sibley on rense. he's patented a process to dry can ammo with nitrogen. website isn't up yet, but placeholder is:

http://www.readyreserveammo.com/

interesting idea.

freespirit
17th December 2010, 12:12 PM
what an excellent idea!! i think every prepper will be interested in this!! any idea what the typical shelf life of ammo is?

Heimdhal
17th December 2010, 12:22 PM
ammo has a stupidly long shelf life as it is if its stored right. Drop it in a green ammo can with a good rubber seal on it (you are checking your seals when you buy the cans, right?) and itll last a very long time.

The biggest bonus to surplus rifles is SURPLUS AMMO! Sure, that corrosive stuff might be a PITA at the range, what with the wiping it down and all, but that stuff literaly has a shelf life of OVER 5 decades and then some. Ive shot quite a bit if surplus ammo through my AK from the 60's and 70's without a single issue, granted most of the stuff on the market now is going to be 70's and 80's.

Put it in the ammo can and keep it away from high humidity (indoors for most of us ought to do) and you shouldnt ever have to worry about it. This goes for commerical stuff too.

Dogman
17th December 2010, 12:24 PM
It sounds like a good ideal, but my question is it really necessary? I store most of my ammo in used army ammo cans, that when closed are air and water tight. Also most ammo , Military and communal the fit of the bullet and primer, makes them dam near water tight,(military is)

So one can buy the latest and greatest , but old school still works well, I have ammo that was loaded 30 + years ago, that is still as good as when it was first made!

So the choice as I see it , is do you want to store for your lifetime or forever?

IMO

chad
17th December 2010, 12:31 PM
in the show, he was making the point that you don't have to worry about storing it anymore. you can chuck it in an old humid shed for decades, whatever. as long as the can doesn't get a hole in it, you can abuse the shit out of your storage options.

freespirit
17th December 2010, 12:32 PM
i would think that if this was affordable enough tech, it still might be a good idea to have some stored in this manner...that having been said, would it also be a good idea to store ammo w/some packages of desiccant to keep moisture away? as an extra bit of insurance?

Dogman
17th December 2010, 12:40 PM
i would think that if this was affordable enough tech, it still might be a good idea to have some stored in this manner...that having been said, would it also be a good idea to store ammo w/some packages of desiccant to keep moisture away? as an extra bit of insurance?

From using them all of my shooting , reloading life. Just go the a army/surplus store and buy some ammo cans that are not beat up all to hell. Put your ammo or what ever you want into them , then some desiccant packs it you truly want to, and forget about them! Until you need them. If the outside paint on the cans is good they will not rust much if all. That is one of the nice things built to military spec. Dam near indestructible.

Heimdhal
17th December 2010, 02:23 PM
For you out there with x39 and x54r chambered rifles, cant go wrong with the surplus "spam" cans of ammo.

Those things will last until the dinosaurs come back. ;)

chad
18th December 2010, 06:10 AM
also, i should point out that another one of the main points of his doing this was to can rounds not normally available in military tins.

.22LR, .270 winchester, 30-06, 30-30, shotgun shells, etc.

big country
18th December 2010, 07:09 AM
For you out there with x39 and x54r chambered rifles, cant go wrong with the surplus "spam" cans of ammo.

Just make sure you store a can opener with them. Opening them with a hammer, screwdriver, and pliers took me about 2 hours to get a hole big enough to get one box out at a time. it also had crazy sharp edges that went through flesh like a....well....knife.

Heimdhal
18th December 2010, 03:34 PM

Just make sure you store a can opener with them. Opening them with a hammer, screwdriver, and pliers took me about 2 hours to get a hole big enough to get one box out at a time. it also had crazy sharp edges that went through flesh like a....well....knife.

Yes, this is important. Always get the can openers that are meant to open these cans. Youre average kitchen can opener, or p38 can opener is NOT going to cut it, literaly. These are heavy duty steel cans, they dont want to give up their ammo easily! lol