PDA

View Full Version : liquid fuel backpacking/camping stove

big country
17th December 2010, 01:10 PM
So I'm considering purchasing a liquid fuel camping/backpacking stove for my emergency bag/camping/backpacking use. I've got a Jetboil canister stove which I like a LOT but the fuel is expensive and I can't refil those little canisters. I'm looking for more of a multi-fuel stove, but would consider a white gas only one.

I just don't know what to get? MSR Whisperlite is the type of stove i'm considering for those that don't know what a liquid fuel backpacking stove is. Is the MSR whisperlite the best? I know it has been on the market for YEARS but the pump is all plastic which makes me nervous :(

Guess i'm just looking for some recommendations since it isn't plausable for me to use them all and try them out.

Dogman
17th December 2010, 01:21 PM
At one time , there were some Korean , ww2 single burner stoves that operated like a Coleman, but you could burn dam near anything in them, and collapsed down into a 6 x10 " or so package. Wish I still had mine, They could get very hot, I used to melt lead for making my own bullets outside the house.

Now I am not sure what is out there, but sure some would make something like I used to have, single burner or two? can burn all liquid fuels and is compact, that is what you are looking for , I am just saying at one time that style of stove did exist, and was so simple that they could last forever. With just a few seals that can be hand made.

Now ? Who knows?

mightymanx
17th December 2010, 06:01 PM
I have been using a Whisperlite since around 1986 (no kidding) I got it when they first came out been using it ever sence.

The pumps used to be aluminum rods but now they are the same type of plastic Glocks are made of so don't worry about breaking it. They heat about 90% as fast as a jet boil they do have the ability to simmer and they run fine on crap fuel.

Drawbacks they need to "prime" like any white gas stoves they do get sooty so I use a deticated stove bag. and you need to rebuild them every once in a while.

They were leaps and bounds better than the Firefly they replaced due to being able to simmer and firefly's were noisy as all get out they sounded like a pulse jet in the woods.

Book
17th December 2010, 06:08 PM
for my emergency bag/camping/backpacking use.

For teotwawki I would want something multi-fuel that is rugged and not fussy. For backpacking I would want something else.

:dunno

milehi
17th December 2010, 06:50 PM
Another vote for the Whisperlite. To add to mightymanx's review, there's several size refillable bottles available so you can tailor your fuel to the length of your trip without carrying extra weight, and MSR's customer service is top notch. Their gear is field servicable with parts that are easy to find. I have one of their Miniworks water filters that I've rebuilt with O rings available from any auto/hardware store and chapstick. Usually, if I'm in the market for something, and MSR makes it, I'll probably end up buying their product.

Since we're talking stoves, what other fuel can I use in the old(pre propane) Coleman stoves besides white gas? I buy these at garage sales whenever I see them.

One more question. Does anyone know of an inexpensive bulk source for 16 oz propane canisters?

big country
18th December 2010, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the reviews. Any comments on why the whisperlite over one of MSRs other liquid fuel stoves?

ArgenteumTelum
19th December 2010, 04:18 AM
......another vote for the Whisperlite.

Agrippa
19th December 2010, 06:57 AM
I bought an MSR dual-fuel stove sometime around 1980, and used it on a lot of backpacking adventures through the 80s. I pulled it out of storage earlier this year, where it had been sitting unused for two decades. It still had gas in the can, so I put it together and fired it up. It ran as good as it did new, and still started on the first twist of the spark lighter. Thirty years don't seem to have aged the plastic pump at all.

This model does sound like a jet engine spooling for takeoff -- I take it that the "Wisper-light" improved on that aspect somewhat.

AOW
19th December 2010, 10:05 AM
I've got a MSR XGK mountaineering stove that boils water well but doesn't simmer or have a "low" setting. It's fairly light and bombproof and can use white gas or unleaded if you change the nozzle (included). For another lightweight backpacking option I've wanted to make one of these but haven't yet gotten around to it:

http://www.thesodacanstove.com/stove/

mightymanx
19th December 2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the reviews. Any comments on why the whisperlite over one of MSRs other liquid fuel stoves?

It's a very proven design, it's light, small, it is K.I.S.S. built and it can do more than boil water in ____seconds.

I have used the old style MSR Fire Fly and XGK as well the whisperlite was my choice. I oalso own 2 of the Coleman style stoves they are built like a tank and heavy like a tank and I don't like the fuel supply attached when back packing. I have looked for a better sotve over the years and simply have not found one. I know jet boils and all those style do things faster and lighter but I dont like pressurized canisters period this stems from a explosion that happened to me while usining a Optimus stove back in the day I lost my hair tent and almost the entire fucking Wenatchee national forest. So pressurised canisters have been a no go for me since.

big country
19th December 2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks everyone!

I've got a few stoves, but I want a liquid fuel one to add to my preps and stash. I like to cook when we go on day hikes and the such. A hot meal helps after a nice hike -- its much better then a PB&J sandwich. I just want something that is a little cheaper to run and play with. Also it give me another option for fuel if I can't find what I need.

My jetboil is great but it is expensive to run. The canisters are expensive and I actually have a hard time finding them around here.

big country
20th December 2010, 02:01 PM
Due to all the great reviews of the Whisperlite I decided to purchase the whisperlite international version. It was $14 more expensive, but can burn a multitude of fuels instead of just white gas. I read some reviews of each and it looks like the only difference with "regular" whisperlite and the international version is that the international version has a larger fuel line so as to be less prone to blockages and buildup for "dirty" fuels. It also has interchangeable jets depending on fuel type.

Hopefully it is as resilient and easy to care for as the regular version. I'll be burning only white gas in it while I can get it, but the flexibility is nice. Got it for $74 on amazon. Not too bad of a price if you ask me!

Book
20th December 2010, 02:11 PM
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/5774/z5xg.jpg

Unleaded Gas is cheaper than Coleman fuel and way more available. These stoves should be able to burn it no problem.

|--0--|

big country
20th December 2010, 04:16 PM
I thought I had put that in my write up about the fuels it would burn. The reviews all state that you can burn gasoline, all white gas varieties, and kerosene.

I'm not sure, but I would venture that if it burn kerosene you could also use REAL lamp oil (non-parafin wax variety) in it as well.

I haven't seen anywhere that it mentions diesel fuel though, not sure about that.

EDIT: After doing a little more research people have noted using rubbing alcohol and whiskey in their Whisperlite's as well as the recommended fuels. Looks like it will burn just about anything, though it was noted that the three "official" fuel types work best

Government Chee-tos
21st December 2010, 01:32 PM
Coleman makes a "dual fuel" stove that looks identical to their liquid fuel stoves. They will burn gasoline or coleman fuel, or you can buy adaptor to make them run off propane. I've read that you can change out the seals and regulator on an older "liquid fuel only" stove to make it gasoline compatable. I considered buying one at wally world for $88 bucks, but Agnut's bartering thread has gotten me into garage sailing on the weekends. So far I've bought a coleman propane camp grill new in the box for $20 bucks, and three coleman liquid fuel stoves for $10, then $5, and finally $4 dollars in the last few weeks.

Thanks Agnut!!! 8) 8) 8)