PDA

View Full Version : Leather Craft?

Libertytree
17th December 2010, 02:21 PM
I've been thinking about some different skills that might come in handy down the road and that I think I would also enjoy teaching myself and learning now. The one I've come up with is leather craft as I've always appreciated good leather made articles and am a pretty crafty kinda guy as well. There's also a friend of mine that could help me out with this too and he's an expert.

My questions are....Do ya think leather work will be a viable and needed skill in the future/post SHTF? Are there some similar skills I'm overlooking? Input?

MNeagle
17th December 2010, 02:27 PM
If you expand it to make/repair leather shoes, I think it would invaluable!

Heimdhal
17th December 2010, 02:28 PM
Cant go wrong with leather crafting. I can make an untold number of things that come in handy for daily life out of leather. Its expensive to do it now, but in SHTF will come in very handy indeed. And while Im no expert and the things I make may not look like top of the line, the function well and do their job.

Leather is one of those extremely robust and versatile materials that have applications almost anywhere, especialy in a homestead style situation.

My suggesting to you is if you're inerested, get a side of veg tan leather and some basic tools like a strap cutter, awls for finishing edges and sewing awls/needles and just start practicing making things like pouches, ruck sacks, limb protection covers (like bracers). Its fun as hell, but it is addicting, watch out!

Book
17th December 2010, 02:29 PM
http://www.specopsbrand.com/images/products/LGaccstrap_1.jpg

There is a reason why leather is not used much anymore.

:)

Dogman
17th December 2010, 02:34 PM
If you expand it to make/repair leather shoes, I think it would invaluable!

Bingo woman!

Plus having the ability to make other things out of it. the sky is the limit. just look now what
is offered.

But boots and shoes would be a basic mainstay. and now is a slowly dieing art.

solid
17th December 2010, 04:26 PM
Liberty,

Have you considered leather art? You are an artistic type, you might enjoy it. There's a close friend of the family that does leather art, and has done quite well for himself. He really enjoys it, has been working with leather his whole life.

I'll pm you a couple of links..

Dogman
17th December 2010, 04:56 PM
Liberty,

Have you considered leather art? You are an artistic type, you might enjoy it. There's a close friend of the family that does leather art, and has done quite well for himself. He really enjoys it, has been working with leather his whole life.

I'll pm you a couple of links..

Any one that can work with any material, to make anything ,(think about it) would become
almost priceless in a shtf world.
example give me the machines to work the shapes and material, plus a welder, tig,mig, stick and I can build anything your hearts desires.

That is a fact!
you want!

Rebel Yarr
7th January 2011, 06:37 PM
There are a lot of folks who know how to manipulate leather - working with leather is pretty easy/basic as well. Biggest problem will be attaining leather I would imagine.

I've recently bought a double thick carry belt and was looking at some new leather holsters...surprised at how many quality leather crafters are out there.

mightymanx
7th January 2011, 07:30 PM
Look up Tandy and then start branching from there they make great cheap starter kits.

I started in leather work because I could not find what I was looking for so I either paid through the nose for some pot head that can't deliver on time to make it or do it myself.

One secret, the expensive tools are really worth it.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/

big country
8th January 2011, 07:47 AM
Look up Tandy and then start branching from there they make great cheap starter kits.

I started in leather work because I could not find what I was looking for so I either paid through the nose for some pot head that can't deliver on time to make it or do it myself.

Thanks for the site, it was interesting to look around. Wish I knew someone that was into leather crafting so I could go study/learn with them for a week or so to decide if it was something I could/would want to do.

Libertytree
8th January 2011, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the site, it was interesting to look around. Wish I knew someone that was into leather crafting so I could go study/learn with them for a week or so to decide if it was something I could/would want to do.

Here's a link a fellow GSUS'er turned me onto. http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/

I bought a leather punch from them and it is excellent quality, made in USA. They have a great selection from which to choose.

I decided to just jump in and go for it. I have a huge piece of heavy duty leather (7x3.5) on the way, in the meantime I'm putting together the tools/materials I need, studying all the different methods and working on a pattern for the leather bags I'm wanting to make and possibly sell.

Heimdhal
8th January 2011, 09:22 AM
Cant go wrong with Brettuns. Churchill is a great guy and also a Florida native who relocated up north many years ago. He always gets my business first and formost in the leather world. ;)