PDA

View Full Version : OK, school me on HAM radios that can broadcast

General of Darkness
22nd December 2010, 11:23 AM
Since I'm working from home today, I've been able to post more and read more on GSUS.

Here's what I've noticed. We are completely unprepared for a .gov shut down of "standard" communications. Being that I work in the IT field I know for a fact that it's duable, it might take time, i.e. court orders etc, or there might be an agreement and it just happens.

After viewing Ponce's thread on the subject I thought I'd place some requirements, and I don't even know if this exists.

Here would be my requirements, and I'm not even sure if this is enough

1 - Am/Fm Radio
2 - HAM frequencies - 100's of miles
3 - The ability to broadcast - 100's miles
4 - Portable
5 - Under 20 lbs

gunDriller
22nd December 2010, 11:42 AM
QST magazine.
http://www.arrl.org/qst

they're the magazine for the amateur radio club. comes out once a month.

lots of how-to articles, plus more advanced articles about EMI shielding, interference. most of the hams i've known were also electrical engineers.

Nuts n Volts, if you can find it, to buy gear -
http://www.nutsvolts.com/

by "it" i mean the print magazine. loads of ads by hams. you used to be able to get them at surplus electronics stores.

speaking of surplus electronics stores -
Halted
http://www.halted.com/

Alltronics
http://www.alltronics.com/

Wierd Stuff Warehouse
http://www.weirdstuff.com/

they sell parts and complete radios. also, lots of the customers & people who work there are hams.

Dogman
22nd December 2010, 11:49 AM
Since I'm working from home today, I've been able to post more and read more on GSUS.

Here's what I've noticed. We are completely unprepared for a .gov shut down of "standard" communications. Being that I work in the IT field I know for a fact that it's duable, it might take time, i.e. court orders etc, or there might be an agreement and it just happens.

After viewing Ponce's thread on the subject I thought I'd place some requirements, and I don't even know if this exists.

1 - Am/Fm Radio
4 - Portable
5 - Under 20 lbs

There are a bunch of rigs that fill your list 2-5 that can transmit on the ham bands, local (100's of miles) and international, depending on time of year, sun cycle and geomagnetic conditions.

But to use them legally you have to take the tests and get the appropriate license (at least general class) (no pun intended ;D)

But until everything goes to hell in a hand basket you would have to obey the rules and broadcasting (one way transmission) is a big no no.

You can have a net, which is several stations talking to each other, or relaying messages.But just transmitting to the world for the sake of it, no!

There is way more to it, the hows , what bands to use to reach to where the stations you want to talk to, You would need to know a bunch of theory and rules of what can be done and what should not be done. To operate legally or at least until tshif and government breaks down.(if ever)

I started when 13 years old and have had this ticket (extra) for the last 20 years. It is a great hobby that can be used to keep up with people all over the world.

It just depends on what you want to do with it and how far you are willing to learn and go!

steyr_m
22nd December 2010, 12:05 PM

1 - Am/Fm Radio
4 - Portable
5 - Under 20 lbs

I've been a big fan of Yaesu for years. Icom also makes good stuff too though. I just prefer Yaesu. As for #3, what do you want to broadcast? For what you're looking for, I'd say the 857D http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=8CBB7C4BDBAF40129AD4253A4987523C&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

I would maybe say the FT-817ND, but it's a low power rig and probably not for beginners.

palani
22nd December 2010, 12:51 PM
Forget AM. SSB is more efficient. FM on 2M or higher bands. If you put a 2 watt 2M FM handheld on a plane at 6,000 feet you should get 300 miles coverage easily. Great when camping on a rocky mountain.

Don't forget CW (Morse) either. Best choice for 20M or 15M.

steyr_m
22nd December 2010, 03:43 PM
Forget AM. SSB is more efficient. FM on 2M or higher bands. If you put a 2 watt 2M FM handheld on a plane at 6,000 feet you should get 300 miles coverage easily. Great when camping on a rocky mountain.

Don't forget CW (Morse) either. Best choice for 20M or 15M.

SSB uses AM. Yes, a 2 watt 2M FM handheld at 6,000 ft will give you approximately that amount of coverage, but that isn't practical. 2M (which is a VHF band) uses LOS (line of sight) so your range is determined by the height of your antenna (the formula is SQRT * (17 * height of Antenna) ). Yes never forget CW.

palani
22nd December 2010, 04:46 PM
SSB uses AM. Less one sideband and a whale of a lot of energy wasted in a carrier that contains no information.

Yes, a 2 watt 2M FM handheld at 6,000 ft will give you approximately that amount of coverage, but that isn't practical. One specialty is bouncing 2M signals off the ionized trail of meteorites. Not really practical either but its the challenge of the thing.

Maybe in the future we will be able to bounce 2M signals off police state drone aircraft. Who's to say what is practical or not? [Kids don't attempt this at home as the attempt might be misinterpreted as an invitation for a missile exchange]

steyr_m
22nd December 2010, 05:41 PM
Yes, a 2 watt 2M FM handheld at 6,000 ft will give you approximately that amount of coverage, but that isn't practical. One specialty is bouncing 2M signals off the ionized trail of meteorites. Not really practical either but its the challenge of the thing.

I'm sorry, I've never heard of that one. I've heard of EME (earth-moon-earth) TX/RX; but not an ionized trail of meteorites. Maybe you can fill me in with more info on that one.

iOWNme
22nd December 2010, 06:11 PM
But to use them legally you have to take the tests and get the appropriate license (at least general class) (no pun intended ;D)

You do not need a license to broadcast in your own State. The FCC has no jurisdiction. Only when broadcasting over state lines....

I noticed when i got into HAM stuff, everywhere i went people were trying to get me to get the 'license'. Luckily i was already aware of the Law and how it works.

Now, will the FCC come if they find out you are transmitting with no license? Probably....But SO WHAT? Are they right? NOPE. And it is up to you to stand up. Know the Law.....

Dogman
22nd December 2010, 06:19 PM

You do not need a license to broadcast in your own State. The FCC has no jurisdiction. Only when broadcasting over state lines....

I noticed when i got into HAM stuff, everywhere i went people were trying to get me to get the 'license'. Luckily i was already aware of the Law and how it works.

Now, will the FCC come if they find out you are transmitting with no license? Probably....But SO WHAT? Are they right? NOPE. And it is up to you to stand up. Know the Law.....

:oo-->

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

:lol

palani
22nd December 2010, 06:29 PM
I'm sorry, I've never heard of that one. I've heard of EME (earth-moon-earth) TX/RX; but not an ionized trail of meteorites. Maybe you can fill me in with more info on that one.
Never tried it myself. Just read about it. Much too specialized for me. It is done in short bursts and the transmitting location and receiving locations must be set up for it.

palani
22nd December 2010, 06:35 PM
http://www.manta.com/c/mm7cywv/federal-communications-commission

Federal Communications Commission, Fcc
445 12th Street Sw
Washington, DC 20554-0004

Phone:
(202) 418-1925

Federal Communications Commission is a private company categorized under Communications Commission, Government and located in Washington, DC. Our records show it was established in 1934 and incorporated in District of Columbia.

Business Categories
Communications commission, government in Washington, DC
Regulation/Administrative Utilities
Regulation and Administration of Communications, Electric, Gas, and Other Utilities

A private company chartered in the District of Columbia? FOR PROFIT. And the FCC regulates Electric, Gas and other Utilities in addition to Communications? You might do business with these folks if you are involved in commerce.

You will note that in their charter they do not claim to regulate or administrate to PEOPLE.

Vaughn Pollux
22nd December 2010, 09:38 PM
Thanks, palani. That one's a cinch to tie up.

iOWNme
23rd December 2010, 05:11 AM

Please, by all means show me the Law that states you have to have a license to broadcast within your states boarders.........Or do you just like to post emoticons to sum up all of your knowledge in this area?

osoab
23rd December 2010, 09:13 AM
GoD,

You will have to school yourself with the some help. I was a complete noob (still am), but I really wanted the knowledge base. I think hooking up with a local club would be a good idea. I can't tell you how much help I had when I first went to the meetings. When it comes to programming the radios every bit of extra information helps and more than likely someone at the club will have the same radio as you or have something used to buy.

I ended up buying a 2m Icom 92AD (http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/handheld/92ad/default.aspx) and a radio shack scanner handheld scanner PRO-106 (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3348287). FYI the PRO-106 is on sale for 250 from 400. I paid 400 last year when it was on sale from 500. I would swipe one of those up to get your trunked cop traffic. It won't help with encrypted channels, but you can get the trunked voice comms that are not. You can the trunked frequency data from Radio Reference (http://www.radioreference.com/). You will still need a program to input the frequencies into the radio, as well as the little thing a ma jig to connect the radio to a computer. Even with my 2m, I still had to buy a program, connecting cable, aftermarket batteries (much cheaper).

I got all this info from one of the older guys at the club. After looking at everything that was out there that was new and would do everything I would possibly want, I went with the scanner and radio above. The best part was with the getting one guy's settings for the same radios. Countless hours of trial and error were eliminated and the learning how to reverse engineering the settings sped up the learning curve of the radio. It's well worth it and the old geezers like to help. ;D I think the average age at local club was 50+. I had only known the guys a couple of weeks and they let me see were their repeater was setup (on a broadcast tower of a local radio station) and look in the shack (a cheap tiny metal building). You couldn't believe what "junk" that they had running the place. It was pretty cool. It really looked like stuff that would be found in a picture of tech junk in Africa.

I started reading this ham site http://www.eham.net/ and taking the Tech license test at the site http://www.eham.net/exams/. Over and Over and Over... Good info at eham. Get the AARL Tech book, read and take the tests.

Still after only a year, I don't talk on the radio and I haven't got my General Class license. It's not something I can get into. I still can't get in the habit of turning them on.

There has been some talk of not getting your license. That is up to you. With out a call sign (that is given out by the FCC), though, you won't recognized on the radio. Just listening no issue, but if you want to talk you will be shunned. You can make it up, but your call sign is on a searchable database on the FCC site. The local guys will also be the ones tasked to find a repeat offender. They do the radio signal searching (fox hunting) for fun, so they have the equipment. I don't really think that not getting a call sign can offset the knowledge base you would be throwing out the window.

Dogman
25th December 2010, 03:28 AM

Please, by all means show me the Law that states you have to have a license to broadcast within your states boarders.........Or do you just like to post emoticons to sum up all of your knowledge in this area?

So far as you stated the law it is murky to find one that is clear, in that you are correct!

But the authority to make your life miserable is in the hands of the fcc.
The ideal of confining your transmissions with in your state bounders is ludicrous,
this is from one that has used RFD to help triangulate and find illegal transmitters and
shut them down and enjoyed doing it! As long as we are still bound by the regulations
I will withhold them!

Every radio I own that can transmit is opened up, if I can hear it , I can talk to it.
Only in situations that life , limb , or property will I transmit out of my legal bands
to help alert the proper authority's of the problem at hand.

All of my 2-meter rigs have the police freq's offsets and squelch codes programed it to them
and in the past I have talked directly to the police, in times of need.

Go ahead and put up a transmitter and start broadcasting or what ever. No mater what you
believe , if the fcc knocks on your door it will cost you at the minimum your equipment,
plus some heavy fines.

Now if all authority breaks down that is another thing altogether. Then do what you want!

But until then the rules are the rules.

palani
26th December 2010, 04:26 AM
Only in situations that life , limb , or property will I transmit out of my legal bands
to help alert the proper authority's of the problem at hand. Tacit admission that you are willing to break the very law you are prohibiting others from breaking. Should you have a license you have agreed to the terms of that license. You are breaking those terms when you transmit outside the bands permitted for that license and you are unlicensed for those out of band transmissions.

Agreed that necessity imports privilege. Is your necessity any greater (or any less) than someone elses?

All of my 2-meter rigs have the police freq's offsets and squelch codes programed it to them and in the past I have talked directly to the police, in times of need. Admission that you have prepared to violate the terms of your license.

Go ahead and put up a transmitter and start broadcasting or what ever. No mater what you believe , if the fcc knocks on your door it will cost you at the minimum your equipment,
plus some heavy fines. I believe you are directing your comment to those who would intentionally interfere with others communications or who engage in frivolous or abusive communications. Necessity means you would be damaged in some way if you did not attempt a transmission. You said so as much in your previous statement. By necessity I might mean being in a plane wreck and having access to a handheld set up for the 121.5 or being in a shipwreck and needed to request assistance from NMR without holding the required commercial license to transmit on their calling frequency. I don't intend to imply that necessity is trying to jam the TV reception of the neighbor because he parked his SUV in my favorite parking spot.

But until then the rules are the rules. Which you have freely admitted you are willing to break under the proper circumstances and have even prepared to break the law. Nothing against your view but don't you believe your statements are slightly inconsistent and even elitist?

Dogman
26th December 2010, 05:08 AM
to help alert the proper authority's of the problem at hand. Tacit admission that you are willing to break the very law you are prohibiting others from breaking. Should you have a license you have agreed to the terms of that license. You are breaking those terms when you transmit outside the bands permitted for that license and you are unlicensed for those out of band transmissions.

Agreed that necessity imports privilege. Is your necessity any greater (or any less) than someone elses?

All of my 2-meter rigs have the police freq's offsets and squelch codes programed it to them and in the past I have talked directly to the police, in times of need. Admission that you have prepared to violate the terms of your license.

Go ahead and put up a transmitter and start broadcasting or what ever. No mater what you believe , if the fcc knocks on your door it will cost you at the minimum your equipment,
plus some heavy fines. I believe you are directing your comment to those who would intentionally interfere with others communications or who engage in frivolous or abusive communications. Necessity means you would be damaged in some way if you did not attempt a transmission. You said so as much in your previous statement. By necessity I might mean being in a plane wreck and having access to a handheld set up for the 121.5 or being in a shipwreck and needed to request assistance from NMR without holding the required commercial license to transmit on their calling frequency. I don't intend to imply that necessity is trying to jam the TV reception of the neighbor because he parked his SUV in my favorite parking spot.

But until then the rules are the rules. Which you have freely admitted you are willing to break under the proper circumstances and have even prepared to break the law. Nothing against your view but don't you believe your statements are slightly inconsistent and even elitist?

Actually it IS legal to transmit out of band licensed or not , If you find yourself or others in a life , limb , or property danger situation. It is in the regulations,
Also the reason all of my radios are "opened" up, is I am also licensed by the military as a MARS operator. And to handle their traffic which is out of the ham bands you have to have your transmitter modified. http://ckycs.com/kyarmymars/whatismars.htm (http://ckycs.com/kyarmymars/whatismars.htm)

http://www.mars.gen.ut.us/marsappins.pdf (http://www.mars.gen.ut.us/marsappins.pdf)

palani
26th December 2010, 06:56 AM
Actually it IS legal to transmit out of band licensed or not , If you find yourself or others in a life , limb , or property danger situation. It is in the regulations, Also the reason all of my radios are "opened" up, is I am also licensed by the military as a MARS operator. And to handle their traffic which is out of the ham bands you have to have your transmitter modified.

The regulations you are referring to are federal. The feds regulate commerce between states. If someone unlicensed seeks to communicate with someone within their own state there is no interstate commerce to regulate.

There are problems with this statement because the status and location of the individuals involved must be considered. You were able to receive a license from the FCC by swearing on your signature that you are a US citizen. The feds are ready, willing and able to regulate their own citizens anywhere in the world. Your status as US citizen states that you were either born in the District, one of the territories or, being black, were born within one of the several States. You might also be naturalized (on application and acceptance).

Another problem with my opening statement is that you might be in a federal zone that has been established as an overlay of one of the several States. By this I mean you could acknowledge the zip code in your mail correspondence (identified in state code as "this state", a federal territorial overlay) or might receive the free benefit of home delivery of mail.

A third problem with my opening paragraph is that you might be using a Yaesu or Kenwood or other oriental produced radio. To arrive at your QTH the radio would have had to enter the US and by doing so crossed state lines in commerce. Even if you have the non-US citizen status, even if you are not in a federal zone, if you are using foreign produced radios, you would be a candidate for club fed.

If you are going to ignore federal regulations you might want to build your own equipment, stay out of federal zones and stop pretending your ethnic origin is African. You might also want to be careful not to injure anyone through interference (or radiation) by your transmissions.

General of Darkness
3rd January 2011, 11:47 AM
What do you guys make of this?

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010501

gunDriller
3rd January 2011, 12:53 PM
also, if you are in the SF Bay Area, i suggest the Foothill College Electronics Flea Market, which may now be the De Anza College Electronics Flea Market.

it's a good place to buy ham stuff & to meet other enthusiasts & dealers - at least it used to be.

first Saturday of every month, April through October ... something like that.

Cebu_4_2
3rd January 2011, 02:11 PM
What do you guys make of this?

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010501

I am more lost now than I was a few weeks ago.

Glass
3rd January 2011, 03:44 PM
doesn't look like too bad a price. It's a 70cm band hand held radio. The 1400mA battery is not going to last a long time if transmitting. A 1700mA or higher battery would be better. Range would be maybe 5 - 7 kms line of sight. Possibly more but it depends on terrain. If going into a repeater then probably more as the repeater would be higher and more sensitive.

It won't do CB or what ever you guys call your citizen band radio over there.

If you want a hand held, I'd be tempted to get one of these: KG-UVD1P (http://www.radioshop888.com/radioshop_product.php?id=103959).

It does 70cm, 2m and should also do the CB stuff in most areas. It has dual band so it can listen to 2 frequencies at once. It can be easily programmed from a PC if you have a usb cable so you might be able to find a channel list on the net from someone in your area and simply upload it. I would get a spare battery and one of the larger ones - 1700mA. With the right kind of connector you can plug it into a bigger antenna on a car or building etc.

I've had one for 18 months. Works well. I carry it everywhere. It has taken a lot of knocks.

osoab
14th January 2011, 10:58 AM
Did you get anything GoD?

General of Darkness
14th January 2011, 11:07 AM

Nothing brother. I have a basic idea of what I want, but don't want to make a retarded purchase.

osoab
14th January 2011, 11:14 AM

Nothing brother. I have a basic idea of what I want, but don't want to make a retarded purchase.

I like the ICOM I posted up above that I purchased. It is waterproof too. Dstar capable and listen to two bands @ once.