PDA

View Full Version : Toilet Paper On "Survival.Com"

Ponce
26th December 2010, 12:11 PM
More and more people are everyday thinking as I do......but.......what cost me $12.50 they are now paying $21.75...............pretty soon they will wake up to food and will also follow me......but with a higher price.
Important to see where tp is made at and where they get the raw material to make it with.
================================================== ==================

Advantage in the judging.
Paper or Plastic? -- That is the Question, by D.D.L.
P
A couple of years ago I was watching a commercial on television that showed two young men as they stood in a check-out line at a grocery store with a 6 pack of beer, a bag of chips and a package of Toilet Paper…when the young men found that they had only enough money for two of the three items, they chose the 6 pack and the chips. When asked by checker “Paper or plastic?” the decision was unanimous, “Paper!”

This stark reality of such a simple decision led me on a journey that would involve many years and begin my search for the answer to the question of how much is enough toilet paper (TP) and where do I store it. I never really understood just how important TP was and the impact that it could have on our daily lives until that commercial was played out. Oh sure, like many deer hunters and fishermen or any outdoor type we all have had our moment where our lack of preparedness has caused us great concern and given us an opportunity to experience the humility of mother nature without TP and all that it encompasses.

The necessity of Toilet paper and the amount of storage room necessary for a one to two years supply and the quest to keep it dry even in our homes is sometimes a task that has caused me great concern and some sleepless nights to say the least. With a family of seven (some may be coming home if the SHTF) and no way to transport two years of their own TP supply plus their family and their gear, I had to find a way to simplify this dilemma. The one thing that I have learned in the past 28 years is that the simplest ideas most always end up being the best…with that being said, I find myself writing about one of the simplest ideas that my wife has produced for our family, and has ended my search for the perfect ending to the mystery.

Just a short piece of history first. About five years ago when we were on a two-week camp out, when a sudden and unforeseen four days of rain descended upon our group of 18 families, who were camped in a narrow canyon with restroom facilities about ½ mile from our camp…even though we have our own toilet facilities (I have, along with a few other families who could afford such… purchased used but in good condition portable restrooms and placed them on 2 wheel trailers…one of which is a handicapped restroom with room enough for a solar heated, black bag water shower and a bathroom cabinet), we decided to use the restroom facilities provided even though we knew we would have to plan our walks for the sake of nature very carefully. We found that in this situation of being away from these very useful luxuries (our portable outhouses) that the trek of ½ mile in wet and cold conditions early in the morning or late at night, with a roll of TP tucked under our jackets, was sometimes a daring adventure. I lost count of the times a roll of TP was dropped onto the wet ground or in a puddle of water making it completely useless and of the nature walks that ended half way to the desired destination. Or of the rolls of TP that were found early in the morning, standing silently alone atop the picnic table, dripping wet, after someone forgot that TP and rain don't mix

The use of toilet paper in very damp conditions led many of our group to wonder out loud about ways to solve this problem. The storage of large amounts of TP seemed to be a major concern for all of our group, but keeping it dry usually came up…the room needed to store such was vast to say the least when you consider a year or two supply of this basic luxury. I know that many folks on other blogs or survival sites are stacking phone books to use, or they are storing boxes and boxes of TP and well… to be quite honest, the phone book or a color catalog is not quite the best choice of clean wipe tissue if you have ever tried it…and as my wife discovered, the cost of baby wipes was out of the question and our tries of making our own baby wipes (with environmentally safe soap) discouraged us simply because we knew that eventually we would run out of paper towels. We needed a solution to a problem that everyone will face someday…paper, plastic, a leaf, or well lets just say any port in the storm…whatever it came to we still had a choice, find a solution or suffer someday.

http://survivalblog.com/

Ragnarok
26th December 2010, 01:02 PM
Stash the emergency TP in trash bags in the attic?

Perhaps adding reuseable, washable cloths to the TP stack is an option for those fortunate enough to have access access to water and soap?

2c, R.

Ponce
26th December 2010, 01:33 PM
Rag?.......in the old Roman days they used to use a sponge and a bucket of water used to sit next to the "exit" hole.......I can only hope that they did wash their hands after washing off the sponge .....YUCK.

MNeagle
26th December 2010, 01:35 PM
You have to go to the link to read the 'rest of the story'....

Ponce
26th December 2010, 01:38 PM
MNeagle?......when I read the word "diapers" I stopped right then and there.......I really don't care about that........my "thing" is tp hahahahahahaha.

Answer2me
26th December 2010, 11:36 PM
MNeagle?......when I read the word "diapers" I stopped right then and there.......I really don't care about that........my "thing" is tp hahahahahahaha.

@ponce
your hoard of TP seems like a waste of time if you have one of these..........

what say you?

Ponce
26th December 2010, 11:47 PM
Answer?..........and when there is no power to work your fancy machine? or the power to run the water line?
Hhahahahaahahahahah no thanksssssssssss, I'll stick to my tp ;D

vacuum
27th December 2010, 02:23 AM
Rag?.......in the old Roman days they used to use a sponge and a bucket of water used to sit next to the "exit" hole.......I can only hope that they did wash their hands after washing off the sponge .....YUCK.

Are you serious? Perhaps tp is more fundamental that I had thought.

the biss
27th December 2010, 04:56 AM
One of those in-bowl bidets like the Hyjet makes TP obsolete.

palani
27th December 2010, 05:48 AM
Once upon a time we looked forward to receiving Sears and Pennys catalogs.

Ponce
27th December 2010, 10:56 AM
palani?l....................you just to be a hill billy.......right? hahahahahaahahahah

palani
27th December 2010, 11:07 AM
palani?l....................you just to be a hill billy.......right? hahahahahaahahahah

Had no money to spare for TP.

Word of caution. Bleached wood pulp gets you dioxin. Rubbing this near blood vessels is the same as injecting into the blood. Better to go with Pennys and Sears.

Dogman
27th December 2010, 11:13 AM
Once upon a time we looked forward to receiving Sears and Pennys catalogs.

Had no money to spare for TP.

Word of caution. Bleached wood pulp gets you dioxin. Rubbing this near blood vessels is the same as injecting into the blood. Better to go with Pennys and Sears.

Glossy pages are to be avoided if possible ;D ;D ;D!

mick silver
27th December 2010, 11:17 AM
what about old phone books

Dogman
27th December 2010, 11:21 AM
what about old phone books

Dam , the bigger the book the better the resource. In a "pinch" ;D
they would be near perfect!

:lol

When in dire need , anything that gets the job done, is recommended!

Ponce
27th December 2010, 12:09 PM
A lotttttttttttt more at the link................http://survivalblog.com/

The letter about the challenge of storing enough toilet paper overlooked an important point: The diameter of a roll of toilet paper (and thus the volume of space it takes up) is not the most important consideration when stocking up--what matters most is how many sheets (and thus the total surface area) are available per roll. Some time ago I realized that rolls of the bulk packages of Member's Mark toilet paper from Sam's Club seemed to be depleted rather quickly at my house, and upon further examination, I realized that although the paper was rather thick, there were only 200 individual sheets per roll. So I made a point during my next trip to Sam's Club to see what other brands of toilet paper were on sale. And what I found really surprised me.

At that time, a 36-roll multipack of Member's Mark toilet paper was $14.98, or 41.6 cents per roll, while a 40-roll case of POM toilet paper was 18.88 for 40 rolls, or 47.2 cents per roll. However, the POM had 450 sheets per roll--more than twice as many as the Member's Mark toilet paper--but the POM was not as thick (although in my opinion still very comfortable) so I got more than twice as much toilet paper surface area for approximately the same volume of storage space. If your readers find that their toilet paper supply diminishes more rapidly than they expect, they should probably see how many sheets they are getting per roll. I essentially doubled how long each roll of toilet paper lasts at my house simply by looking at how many sheets I'm actually getting and then switching brands accordingly.

On another note, I've seen comments on a couple different preparedness forums suggesting that to save on paper usage, people should use something akin to a bidet. But what these well-intentioned people don't stop to think about is that in a grid-down situation, water will be a vital and possibly hard-to-come-by resource. I'll take toilet paper any day over chronic thirst because I used my last potable water for something other than drinking.

Spectrism
27th December 2010, 02:48 PM
I have cases of the paper stuff in my attic under a brand new roof that should last til the end of the world. At first I was considered a nut. Now I don't get any ridicule.

ximmy
27th December 2010, 03:19 PM
what did cavemen do... did early people just walk around with crusty itchy butts???

Answer2me
27th December 2010, 10:32 PM
Answer?..........and when there is no power to work your fancy machine? or the power to run the water line?

you cheep ass dirt bag!!!! thats something AGNUT would say. OK i bow down, but i could hook the water lines up to my well and pump it with my diesel generator using vegetable oil. lol!

BTW, where is agnut hidding these days?

Ponce
27th December 2010, 11:09 PM
He reads us everyday........I talk to him just about everyday.....trying to solve the problems of the world hahahahahah.

Neuro
28th December 2010, 02:04 AM
A jug of water left hand and a bar of soap! Problem solved!

Shami-Amourae
28th December 2010, 06:15 AM
what did cavemen do... did early people just walk around with crusty itchy butts???

They ate food that our digestive systems were evolved for, so it would come out more easily, with less need to wipe. Try drinking Apple Cider Vinegar with all your meals, and watch your usage of TP drop.

Typically though, in super poor nations they clean their butt by splashing water at the edges of rivers. How it's done in the 3rd World:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFn_oYgfDsc
Hint: This is why disease is so rampant in the 3rd World.
Full Video (http://current.com/shows/vanguard/92482205_the-worlds-toilet-crisis.htm)

gunDriller
28th December 2010, 06:30 AM

perhaps they worked out a symbiotic relationship with the wild dogs that were attracted to their campfires.

Shami-Amourae
28th December 2010, 06:32 AM
perhaps they worked out a symbiotic relationship with the wild dogs that were attracted to their campfires.

!!???

You mean it's not nutty peanut butter?

gunDriller
28th December 2010, 06:40 AM

!!???

You mean it's not nutty peanut butter?

the answer is buried deep beneath their finger nails, for an anthropologist (probably funded by an Obama-care pork barrel grant) to decipher.

JohnQPublic
28th December 2010, 07:42 AM
Couldn't resist:
:D

http://gold-silver.us/forum/gallery/1_15_12_10_11_10_54.jpeg

Shami-Amourae
28th December 2010, 09:18 AM
More accurate:

Ponce
28th December 2010, 11:00 AM
I don't know if I told you guys but but that old man looks about 85% like my dad at 84 years of age......dead three months ago at 98 years..........thanks guys, it brings back good memories.

agnut
28th December 2010, 12:44 PM

you cheep ass dirt bag!!!! thats something AGNUT would say. OK i bow down, but i could hook the water lines up to my well and pump it with my diesel generator using vegetable oil. lol!

Hi answer2me, I’m lurking here daily and don’t post much. Ponce says I should post more often and I agree; I will try to in the future. We have a great bunch of members; unique on the internet in my opinion.

However, I’m am tucked/hidden away on a sticky in the preparations section. Bartering and horse trading, remember ? A small number of members who are into bartering and making deals of all sorts. In fact, I have made some deals lately that I need to post. Examples are encouragement, hopefully.

Best wishes,

Agnut

P.S. “Cheap ass dirt bag” is high praise in my book.

Answer2me
28th December 2010, 07:51 PM

However, I’m am tucked/hidden away on a sticky in the preparations section. Bartering and horse trading, remember ?

remember???? how could i forget!

mick silver
28th December 2010, 07:52 PM
you dont need no TP ... just go to the wood and get some leaves an sticks ... hell ponce you said you live by the woods all you need a good bucket for the leaves . then you can sell your TP an get your money back .

Ponce
28th December 2010, 09:30 PM
Mick? ......... why live that way?

"Get ready today for the way that you want to live tomorrow"... Ponce

I want to live confy ;D

gunDriller
29th December 2010, 04:42 AM
maybe that's why Obama bowed to the Saudi rulers.

Michele told him he'd be sleeping on the sofa if he shook their hand.