PDA

View Full Version : Wool Socks recommendations

MNeagle
26th December 2010, 01:31 PM
I'm looking for wool socks recommendations. A good price for great quality if possible.

Thanks.

zap
26th December 2010, 01:35 PM
I'm no help MN, I don't own a pair of wool socks, to warm for those in CA, and I don't like thick socks either.

I feel for you though in that snow ! Its 70 here and I can't find my flip flops. lol ;)

Edit; how about alpaca socks? HERE YA GO http://purelyalpaca.com/

Book
26th December 2010, 01:42 PM
I'm looking for wool socks recommendations. A good price for great quality if possible.

After researching for a week and getting advice from friends SMARTWOOL (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1280&bih=573&q=smartwool&gbv=2&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw) was by far the top pick. Pricey but the logic is they last three times as long...

:)

The Hiking Medium Crew Sock by Smartwool is a super star in the sock world. Winner of the Backpacker Magazine's Editor's Choice Award, the Hiking Crew was voted Best-All- Around hiking and outdoor sock.

MNeagle
26th December 2010, 01:44 PM

After researching for a week and getting advice from friends SMARTWOOL (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1280&bih=573&q=smartwool&gbv=2&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw) was by far the top pick. Pricey but the logic is they last three times as long...

Thank you so much. They're pretty much impossible to find in stores anymore around here, and knew it would have to be an online venue.

Any idea if they ever go on sale?

Thanks again!!

Book
26th December 2010, 01:51 PM
Any idea if they ever go on sale?

Smartwool not by much. One thing I noticed reading the websites is customers complaining about receiving the WRONG SIZE not as ordered. Seems to be a common problem...

hoarder
26th December 2010, 03:13 PM
Ditto on Smartwool. They're warm, comfortable and last a long time. I'm wearing Smartwool socks as I type.

muffin
26th December 2010, 08:22 PM
I feel your pain, MNeagle. We bought some Omni Wool socks (http://www.google.com/search?q=omni+wool+socks&hl=en&sa=X&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=4hIYTYGhK4WdlgertbXsAg&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCsQrQQwAA&biw=1345&bih=562) when we lived in L.A. several years ago to add to the preps. I thought mouse was being silly and didn't feel the need to buy more than one 3-pack. Now that we're in SW MO, I'm diggin the wool socks! So I've pretty much stolen them from him and have been looking to buy more. Hard to believe but wool socks are almost unheard of around here. I found some OUTRAGIOUSLY priced ones at a farm store. Of course, it could have been the fact that they were Stihl and Carhart brands. I couldn't bring myself to buy them.

I can attest to the Omni Wool socks. But they come at a bit of a price. I'm about to break down and buy some. They will only get more expensive. Please keep us informed if you find any good deals, though!

Too bad I'm too dumb to just knit some....

keehah
26th December 2010, 08:25 PM
I've never had a bad pair of wool socks. Just make sure they are at least 80% wool. I've noticed that in the walmart type stores, most of the socks that look like wool socks only have token amounts in them these days.

muffin
26th December 2010, 08:34 PM
My Omni wools are only 75% but they are very toasty! I have walked out on our cement porch in 20 degree weather and my toes stayed warm!! I've spilled a cup of water on top of them while wearing them and never felt the wetness. I really like them..... I wish I'd bought more :'(

MNeagle
26th December 2010, 08:39 PM
We went to a threshing machine show last summer, and one of the indoor displays was the old-fashioned sock knitter! Had demos of the people spinning the wool, and then making socks!

Now, that would be a handy prep item!! Great barter ability from your works too!

muffin
26th December 2010, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I tried knitting socks and I just can't. I dunno why I can't wrap my head around it. I have several friends that spin. And we looked at getting merino, cashmere, or angora goats last year so I would have a supply of wool to spin. But it just wasn't for us. I was invited to join a local spinning guild. I told the lady that I only knit. She thought they wouldn't mind and that most the ladies don't even knit! Can you believe that?? Spinners that don't knit! It's like chefs that order take out pizza! :conf:

big country
27th December 2010, 07:10 AM
every pair of wool socks I have hold up much better and last longer than any cotton socks I have ever gotten.

I LOVE smartwool and asked for them from people that asked what I wanted for christmas (ended up w/ 3 more pairs after christmas)
There are some smartwool styles that are thin, not all wool socks are huge-bulky-only-in-winter type socks. I have a few pairs that I wear all summer b/c they aren't much thicker then a pair of new cotton socks.

I also have Omni socks, and a few other different brands I found at discount stores (marshalls, TJ maxx, etc..) and they all perform pretty much the same, but I like the smartwool ones the best. I look for 70%+ wool when buying socks. I think the Omni socks I got at Sam's Club in a 3 pack for ~$15 or so. They are a little thick/warm and I limit wearing them to usually fall/winter only because they are warm.

I'm slowly amassing enough to completely phase cotton socks out of my drawer.

I've also been trying to hint to everyone I know that knits that I would love to have a pair of home-knit socks to try them out. So far no luck with that, but I'm still investigating that route...

mightymanx
27th December 2010, 08:15 AM
Merino or Wigwam

Dogman
27th December 2010, 08:32 AM
Have used issued wool socks , that I have stored back in my active service days ;D
And still have some that have never been worn, over 36 years later! The pair I am using
now, have lasted me for 4 seasons going on the 5th. :o

hoarder
27th December 2010, 09:28 AM
Have used issued wool socks , that I have stored back in my active service daysI like the military surplus wool "glove liner" gloves, which I wear without the outer leather glove. Sometimes you can find them at gun shows for $3 a pair.

One way to check if wool gloves or socks are really wool and not polyester is to burn a little fuzz with a cigarette lighter. Cotton smells like burned hair.

Dogman
27th December 2010, 09:38 AM
Have used issued wool socks , that I have stored back in my active service daysI like the military surplus wool "glove liner" gloves, which I wear without the outer leather glove. Sometimes you can find them at gun shows for $3 a pair.

One way to check if wool gloves or socks are really wool and not polyester is to burn a little fuzz with a cigarette lighter. Wool smells like burned hair.

Fixed it for you! ;D

hoarder
27th December 2010, 09:43 AM

One way to check if wool gloves or socks are really wool and not polyester is to burn a little fuzz with a cigarette lighter. Wool smells like burned hair.

Fixed it for you! ;D
Duh, that's what I meant.

Dogman
27th December 2010, 09:49 AM

One way to check if wool gloves or socks are really wool and not polyester is to burn a little fuzz with a cigarette lighter. Cotton smells like burned hair.

The glove liners are great when you can find them, Have a few pair stashed also, but do not use that much, I am in a warmer part of Texas, so it just does not get that cold , mostly.

Half Sense
27th December 2010, 11:17 AM
OK, I broke out a pair I had never tried - La Crosse brand from Gander Mtn - says they are 70% merino. They feel pretty toasty. I need more.

sirgonzo420
27th December 2010, 11:54 AM
I'm wearing wigwams right now.

I haven't been able to wear cotton socks for more than a few minutes after the first time I tried wool socks.

I've raved about them to all who will listen.

lol

banjo
27th December 2010, 12:47 PM

Thank you so much. They're pretty much impossible to find in stores anymore around here, and knew it would have to be an online venue.

I love the Smartwool socks, they're the best. I don't know where you're at in MN, but if you ever get to St Cloud, Scheels has the Smartwool socks. I bought a pair for my brother for Christmas and they were almost $20 bucks.... but worth it I think.

MNeagle
27th December 2010, 01:34 PM
Twisted's thread reminds me, I'd like to prep some extra wool socks in the vehicles too. That's one area I don't have covered. Boots, etc., but not the extra socks.

muffin
27th December 2010, 07:19 PM
Twisted's thread reminds me, I'd like to prep some extra wool socks in the vehicles too. That's one area I don't have covered. Boots, etc., but not the extra socks.

Your post reminds me of something I just read yesterday on another forum....

OK, probably not as serious as it sounded. Only spent 2 days in the hospital, but I still have absolutely no feeling in my hands or feet. It looks like it's pretty likely that I won't regain that feeling, unfortunately. Stuff like typing becomes really weird when you can't feel yourself doing it. Also I can't feel my babies when I pet them, which really sucks.

For the few who are curious, here's what happened:
Last Monday was especially cold, and unusually windy. When my car broke down, the display said that it was 3 degrees.

The car is only a few years old, but apparently had an electrical problem. The bigger problem, though, was that it happened in a pretty wide cellular dead zone; one that encompasses my house and a pretty wide radius outward. I had just dropped my partner off for a night shift in the ER, and it was about 10:30 at night. No-one that can operate a phone was expecting me home, so it went unnoticed that I wasn't around.

Since I had been taking him to work and not stopping anywhere, I was wearing pajama pants, flip-flops and a t-shirt. We keep the house pretty warm. At one point while walking home, I swore I kept hearing a flag flapping in the wind. I eventually realized that it was my pants flapping behind me.

The walk took roughly 4 hours. That seems ridiculous for just 7 miles, but it gets really hard to move fast at that temperature, really fast.

I thought I was fine, because I was just numb. But about 2 minutes after entering a nice warm house, I was on fire. I'll admit it: I cried. I haven't cried in years and years (I'm not an emotional queen), but this was absurd. I've had more kidney stones than I have pets, and they were nothing compared to this. It felt like I was on fire, literally. After about 20 minutes, I realized that I couldn't walk it off, and called for an ambulance.

Like I said earlier; the worst part is that I can't feel my kids. My hands and feet feel like absolutely nothing, except for every few hours I'll have an absurdly sharp pain in a hand, but as soon as that pain goes away, it's back to nothingness.

I just hate this.

I hate to rag on the guy, he's sort of an internet friend of mine. But come on!! Have A LITTLE common sense!! :oo--> I don't even walk to the chicken coop without putting on warm socks, boots, down coat, hat (usually) and gloves. And it's only about 30 yards from the house....

MNeagle
27th December 2010, 07:26 PM
I take it this person suffered from frostbite? He's damn lucky not to have lost any fingers or toes! AND to have made it home! Egads!

muffin
27th December 2010, 07:57 PM
I'm assuming. He mostly just said hypothermia.

It blows my mind that someone could be so careless. It's a wonder he didn't die!

Mouse
27th December 2010, 08:29 PM
Fixed it for you. Sorry, I couldn't help myself :)

OK, probably not as serious as it sounded. Only spent 2 days in the hospital, but I still have absolutely no feeling in my hands or feet. It looks like it's pretty likely that I won't regain that feeling, unfortunately. Stuff like typing becomes really weird when you can't feel yourself doing it. Also I can't feel my babies when I pet them, which really sucks.

For the few who are curious, here's what happened:
Last Monday was especially cold, and unusually windy. When my car broke down, the display said that it was 3 degrees.

The car is only a few years old, but apparently had an electrical problem. The bigger problem, though, was that it happened in a pretty wide cellular dead zone; one that encompasses my house and a pretty wide radius outward. I had just dropped my partner off for a night shift in the ER, and it was about 10:30 at night. No-one that can operate a phone was expecting me home, so it went unnoticed that I wasn't around.

Since I had been taking him to work and not stopping anywhere, I was wearing pajama pants (the kind with the little trap door on the back), flip-flops and a cum-stained t-shirt. We keep the house pretty warm. At one point while walking home, I swore I kept hearing a flag flapping in the wind. I eventually realized that it was my pants flapping behind me.

The walk took roughly 4 hours. That seems ridiculous for just 7 miles, but it gets really hard to move fast at that temperature, really fast.

I thought I was fine, because I was just numb. But about 2 minutes after entering a nice warm house, I was on fire. I'll admit it: I cried. I haven't cried in years and years (I'm not an emotional queen), but this was absurd. I've had more kidney stones than I have pets, and they were nothing compared to this. It felt like I was on fire, literally. After about 20 minutes, I realized that I couldn't walk it off, and called for an ambulance.

Like I said earlier; the worst part is that I can't feel my kids. My hands and feet feel like absolutely nothing, except for every few hours I'll have an absurdly sharp pain in a hand, but as soon as that pain goes away, it's back to nothingness.

I just hate this.

mightymanx
27th December 2010, 10:49 PM
I just picked up 8 pairs of the Cabellas house brand they are a cross between a wigwam and a thorlo. No reports as of yet other than I thought they were nice and they were $10 for 4 pair(1/2 price).

sorry no link (I looked) They were in the impulse buy bargin bins stashed throughout the store

skid
27th December 2010, 11:06 PM
Go to Costco and buy there store brand merino wool socks. Around here I can get three pairs for 8-10 bucks (don't remember exactly but I thought they were cheap). Merino is the kindest wool (non itchy) to the skin and is very warm and comfortable. In fact they are almost too warm for me and I only wear them when I go skidooing or similar.

Book
28th December 2010, 08:12 PM
I can attest to the Omni Wool socks. But they come at a bit of a price. I'm about to break down and buy some. They will only get more expensive...

No Longer Available (http://reviews.samsclub.com/1337/379388/reviews.htm) according to this Sam's Club webpage. Looked like a bargain (3pr for $15) since the link at the official Omni-Wool (http://www.omniwool.com/multi_hiker.shtml) website sells those same 3pr for $30. Some serious price gouging going on...

:o

Book
29th December 2010, 05:35 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_I6Q4pIbxEDM/TQOHmYiUzmI/AAAAAAAAAuA/SKnb0aTD2Fw/s640/P1020179.JPG

http://www.journeymantraveller.com/2010/12/smartwool-hiking-medium-crew-or-are.html

Costco sells these exact Kirkland socks priced $11 for four pair. Read the article

MNeagle
29th December 2010, 06:25 AM
Good catch!

Saw no wool socks in Costco for women yesterday,

Will have to scout around further, and see if they make this Kirkland men's sock small enough to fit me.

SLV^GLD
29th December 2010, 06:54 AM
There is no excuse for buying wool socks of foreign manufacture. Wool socks are made in every state of the union as far as I am aware. I like Keen and Mast Farm brands. Smartwool is okay but better or more socks can be had for the same price. Smartwool are the easiest to find. Some Keen variants have some degree of arch support stitched into the cut, the socks are right and left sided.

muffin
29th December 2010, 10:40 AM
I can attest to the Omni Wool socks. But they come at a bit of a price. I'm about to break down and buy some. They will only get more expensive...

No Longer Available (http://reviews.samsclub.com/1337/379388/reviews.htm) according to this Sam's Club webpage. Looked like a bargain (3pr for $15) since the link at the official Omni-Wool (http://www.omniwool.com/multi_hiker.shtml) website sells those same 3pr for $30. Some serious price gouging going on...

Damn! Thanks for the heads up!

Good catch!

Saw no wool socks in Costco for women yesterday,

Will have to scout around further, and see if they make this Kirkland men's sock small enough to fit me.

I wear mouse's wool socks. They were *I think* men's size 8-10. They fit my women's size 7.5 feet. You might have to just buy men's socks. No biggie. They just don't come in pink ;)

There is no excuse for buying wool socks of foreign manufacture. Wool socks are made in every state of the union as far as I am aware. I like Keen and Mast Farm brands. Smartwool is okay but better or more socks can be had for the same price. Smartwool are the easiest to find. Some Keen variants have some degree of arch support stitched into the cut, the socks are right and left sided.

Thanks! I'll definitely look into that....

Fag jokes....

That's not nice at all... :redfc

muffin
29th December 2010, 10:50 AM
I can definitely knit these (http://thorastooth.livejournal.com/799.html) tho....

Maybe make them go all the way up like legwarmers? IDK

Rebel Yarr
7th January 2011, 06:19 PM
The best Wool Socks I have found...and I've tried all sorts of "working socks" are.... http://www.rei.com/product/242163

REI's RAGG WOOL Socks. MADE IN THE USA. 80% Wool and unlike the many types of smart wool/sythetic blended socks...they are thick and comfy...they feel like wool...and of course act like it...

They are also the best deal on 80% socks around...8-9 bucks a pair. Load up while ya can - that was my goal.

There are knock-offs like the ones at Cabela's...but they don't stay "tight" like the REI ones...and they also cost like 2 bucks more per pair.

If you like thick - real wool feelin' socks - these are the ones you've been looking for.

MNeagle
7th January 2011, 06:22 PM
Thanks, but can they fit into your regular shoes?

I do have some wool socks, but they're so thick I can only wear them in hiking or snow boots.

Book
7th January 2011, 06:23 PM
http://www.rei.com/product/242163

Rebel Yarr
7th January 2011, 06:26 PM
Thanks, but can they fit into your regular shoes?

I do have some wool socks, but they're so thick I can only wear them in hiking or snow boots.

Wow Book is fast - I just updated with the link to them...read the reviews pretty funny.

MN - yeah they are thicker - bout twice as thick or so as a regular sock - but as long as I adjust my laces for the thicker sock - they fit into my regular shoes just fine. They are tight on the feet and don't get all out of shape like a lot of the other 80%ers...prolly the nylon/spandex blend in em.

Mouse
24th January 2011, 03:44 PM
I found these at 3 pair for 9.95. They came in today and are identical to the Omni wool socks, just unbranded. They are 71% blend wool. Womens ones fit my wife, men's fits me fine. Good quality for the price made in USA. Load up, I just did.

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/product/merino-wool-socks-3-pack-4268.cfm

Book
24th January 2011, 05:46 PM
...are identical to the Omni wool socks, just unbranded.

Yep. Omni. Awesome deal!

muffin
24th January 2011, 06:12 PM
MNeagle, the new socks we got in that mouse is talking about are alot thinner than the thick Omni socks. They're still nice and toasty and soft. I think you would like them. And at 3 pairs for 10 bux is not a bad deal. Even if you just buy them for the stash and not every day use..... They come in medium (women's shoe size 3-9). That's the size that fits my 7.5 size feet.

MNeagle
14th November 2011, 08:09 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_I6Q4pIbxEDM/TQOHmYiUzmI/AAAAAAAAAuA/SKnb0aTD2Fw/s640/P1020179.JPG

http://www.journeymantraveller.com/2010/12/smartwool-hiking-medium-crew-or-are.html

Costco sells these exact Kirkland socks priced $11 for four pair. Read the article

Just a bump & an FYI: Costco is again carrying these Kirkland socks as described above at nearly the same price $11.99.

mightymanx
14th November 2011, 08:19 PM
Just a bump & an FYI: Costco is again carrying these Kirkland socks as described above at the same price $11.99. So no inflation there.

I have put some miles on the Costco merino wool blend socks in some serious suck conditions no blisters and good warmth I still lost a few toenails to cold but that is sort of normal for my left foot. (long story)

muffin
15th November 2011, 09:28 AM
Now if only we had a Costco in our area.....

For the record, I've already worn a hole in a few of my Omnis. But I have a really bad habit of wearing mine with no shoes EVERYWHERE, including outside >:D I think I do it because it drives mouse crazy :-*

Half Sense
15th November 2011, 11:32 AM
I like the non-itchy merino wool and I'm interested in some "thinner" wool socks, so the Costco ones look promising.

I also want to give out wool socks for Xmas gifts. There are few things better than warm and dry feet, and I had no idea what I was missing. Cotton sucks for socks.

mightymanx
16th November 2011, 06:29 AM
I like the non-itchy merino wool and I'm interested in some "thinner" wool socks, so the Costco ones look promising.

I also want to give out wool socks for Xmas gifts. There are few things better than warm and dry feet, and I had no idea what I was missing. Cotton sucks for socks.

It makes me laugh because I want things like socks and practical stuff for Christmas now and rarely get it. When I was a kid that was all I got.

big country
16th November 2011, 09:44 AM
I ask for smartwool socks from everyone that asks "what do you want for christmas" . I'm too cheap to pay $15 each for socks, but I have gotten quite the collection getting 4-5 pairs every year for christmas. The nice thing about the smartwool is they are easy to find for everyone, and they last MORE then a year for me so I have plenty of pairs left from previous christmases when I get new ones!

Half Sense
16th November 2011, 11:24 AM
I loaded up on the Kirkland merino Trail Socks at Costco. They are $10.99/4 = $2.75 a pair. This is a fantastic value.

The Large size fits Mens 8-13 and Womens 9+.

Medium size fits Mens 4-8 and Womens 5-9.

big country
18th November 2011, 06:38 AM
That is a great deal! I don't have a costco anywhere close to me unfortunately :(

I bought two pairs of Rocky brand merino wool "hiking socks" (85% wool) at walmart last night (made in USA). They were $8 each so still quite a bit more then the onces you mention at costco. They were half the price of smartwool though and I wanted to give them a try. I put them on this morning and the first thing noticed was that the weaving/knitting is much looser then my smartwool socks but they are soft and decently comfortable but not smartwool comfortable.

Half Sense
18th November 2011, 01:11 PM
I am impressed with the Costco Trail Socks. We've been wearing them for a couple of days. They are a little thinner than some of the expensive wool socks I have (Wigwams, etc), but that's fine since I'm in Florida and don't face extreme cold. These are great everyday wool socks.

sunnyandseventy
18th November 2011, 02:36 PM
I've got both styles of socks from Costco. They are nice but holes wear through the bottom pretty quick.

big country
28th November 2011, 05:22 PM
I have a report to share on the costco wool socks. A gracious member here sent me a few packs to try out since I do not have a costco nearby. They are similar to the ones I bought at sams club over a year ago, but the Sams club socks (omniwool brand) had a tighter weave but were also thicker (3 pair for $15). The costco ones seem to have a looser weave and do not grip my feet at tightly, I will see how they are after a few washings to see if they shrink some. They do not compare to the quality of SmartWool, but they are also 1/4 the price of SmartWool socks, that makes them a VERY tempting alternative.

I prefer to wear my SmartWool socks, but I really do like the ones from Costco as well. They are nearly identical in look and feel to the Rocky brand socks I mentioned in an earlier post that I bought at walmart for $8 each.

I have now also officially thrown away all of my cotton socks (except for a few pairs of dress socks) and have a drawer full of wool socks now. I will not go back to cotton. Many of the SmartWool styles are thin enough to be worn in the summer and I will focus on collecting a few more pairs of that type of sock to round out my collection.

I would say the costco brand would be a great 3 season sock (fall, winter, and spring) but I will prefer something a little thinner I believe for the summer.

muffin
28th November 2011, 06:21 PM
Sportin my cheapies right now. I do love the Omnis from Costco better but mine have holes. I'm good as long as they keep my toes warm :D

I love this time of year ;D

Half Sense
28th November 2011, 07:29 PM
The Costco socks aren't "tailored" as nicely as some of the name-brand merino socks. They don't quite hug and massage your foot as well as some do.

But the wool itself is the main thing - warm, dry, non-itchy, and non-stinky.

The price makes it easy to replace all your cotton socks. A dozen pair for about $35.