PDA

View Full Version : Dirty little secret of mine, I like to eat bone marrow and two of my kids do too

BillBoard
27th December 2010, 04:11 PM
The wife is curious why I and my two boys love to hunt, she does not understand how delicious the bone marrow is.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/bone-marrow-recipe/

Bone Marrow: Delicious, Nutritious and Underappreciated

If you’re truly interested in consuming the original Primal brain food, look no further than bone marrow: perhaps the first reliable source of large, fatty animal products our scrappy ancestors were able to procure. Yes, before we became spear-using cunning tacticians surrounding, stalking, and out-maneuvering large prehistoric ungulates, we feasted on the bones of fallen prey. Or, more accurately, we feasted on what lurked inside the bones (and the skulls, for that matter). Animal fat and protein improved the quality of our diet by making digestion less energy intensive. Bone marrow, especially, was highly caloric and nutrient dense, allowing early human ancestors to divert metabolic resources away from the costly digestion of roughage and toward bigger, costlier brains. This spurred the increase in hominid brain size that we still enjoy today.

That was around two million years ago, when Homo habilis used rudimentary stone tools to strip and smash bones. He was small and relatively diminutive – too small to take down big game – but he could hoist a big smashing stone overhead once the apex predators had gone. And he could probably fend off the hyenas, the vultures, and any other scavengers dead set on sucking the marrow. In fact, we may have learned about the delicious, nourishing paste by watching vultures drop femurs from the sky and pick out the marrow.

There’s clearly something special (nutritionally) about bone marrow. Animals go for the marrow, instinctively, for example. Wolves given access to full deer carcasses gravitated toward those bones with “high marrow yields,” taking care to “destroy the epiphyses” where the marrow was most plentiful. When I toss my dog a big smorgasbord of raw bones, organs, and muscle meat, he heads straight for the marrow before anything else, every single time. It goes marrow, liver, heart, muscle meat. It’s interesting to see what the high-powered, raw senses of a nearly obligate carnivore chooses when determining which animal product is best to eat.

As for the nutritional content, consider this data (PDF) on standard “African ruminant marrow”, courtesy of Loren Cordain. Three and a half ounces of the stuff contain 488 calories, 51 grams of fat (mostly monounsaturated, as I understand), and 7 grams of protein – extremely dense. I can understand why we were driven to come up with new methods of obtaining it. The way wild animals and traditional cultures prized it as much or more so than other fatty, rich cuts suggests that there’s more to marrow than just the fat.

As we all know, meat, especially fatty meat, contains more than just a lopsided macronutrient ratio. Meat, or any animal product, really, is the best, densest source of fat-soluble vitamins around. Liver, heart, brains, ribeye are all prize cuts for their taste, their nutrition, and the various bioavailable micronutrients that come loaded in every delicious bite. Plus, marrow isn’t just static stuff inside the bones. It fulfills a role. It fulfills many roles, actually. It’s made of osteoblasts (which form bone cells using minerals), adipocytes (fat cells), fibroblasts (which form connective tissue), and osteoclasts (which are responsible for bone resorption). I was unable to obtain detailed info regarding the mineral/vitamin content of bone marrow, but if it’s involved in bone and connective tissue formation/resorption, there are probably some choice components that make consumption particularly advantageous.

There’s another reason – a big reason, actually – why animals of all stripes are drawn toward bone marrow and why you should head down to the butcher for some bones: the taste. A subtle, creamy nuttiness, sometimes a bit sweet, always extremely rich, is not to be casually disregarded. The taste is incredible, either eaten straight up with a touch of sea salt or as part of a rich, hearty stew. Its high quality fuel imbued with vitamins and minerals, but it’s delicious fuel that’d be worth eating even if it were devoid of nutrition. Luckily for us, though (and counter to what we’re taught about nutrition), what appeals to our taste buds on a basic level usually also nourishes. Marrow may be a “sinful treat” for most, but it deserves to be a kitchen staple for Primal eaters.

Bones are cheap, and most people that buy them buy them for their dogs. You’ll even see marrow bones marked as “dog bones” in shops. Personally, I’m glad they’re an underappreciated food. If people think of them as dog food, they stay inexpensive. Dogs crave them, love them, but they can’t really spur demand and constrain supply. They alone can’t drive the prices up. So, for the time being, marrow bones, even the grass-fed stuff, remain highly affordable.

Look for broad bones with big thick tubes of marrow. The bones themselves are great fun for making stock afterwards, but you’re paying for the marrow, so make sure you pick some meaty ones. I’d skip Whole Foods. They charge about four bucks a pound for marrow bones, and they’re from conventional, grain-fed cows. If you’re buying grain-fed, you might as well buy them from a local grocer for a couple bucks or, better yet, from an Asian grocer for less than a dollar per pound. Grass-fed is best, of course, and the best way to get quality grass-fed bone marrow bones is from local or online farmers. Try Eat Wild if your farmers’ market meat guy doesn’t carry any. A few of the bone-in cuts will also have a nice shot of marrow, so keep that in mind.

The simplest, best way to prepare marrow is to roast the bones upright at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes. Fat will leak out the bottom, and you want to eat it all, so use a pan, or at least catch the drippings with molded foil. When the marrow begins to slightly bubble, it’s ready to be eaten. Thicker bones may need a bit more time in the oven, or you could do what I do and eat it slightly pink. Buy from a trustworthy, reputable source and you’ll be fine. Use a narrow spoon or fork to scrape out the marrow (you can even use a dedicated marrow spoon, if you can find one) and top with a bit of coarse sea salt. Serve with a small parsley, shallot, and lemon juice salad to cut through the creaminess of the marrow.

More at the link

RJB
27th December 2010, 04:18 PM
I've eaten marrow a lot. For Christmas, I made sauerbrauten and mixed the marrow in with the gravy. Good stuff.

I tend to follow my bodies cravings when it comes to real food.

hoarder
27th December 2010, 04:51 PM
When I was a kid, you could buy bone marrow in the grocery store. It was packaged as sawn sections of cow bone, about 1 1/2 inch thick. My mom served it ocasionally and we loved it.

MNeagle
27th December 2010, 04:53 PM
A few years ago, we'd buy marrow bones for our dog. Readily available at most grocers.

No longer have a dog, so I haven't been looking since then.

Ash_Williams
27th December 2010, 04:56 PM
My grandfather used the marrow to butter his bread.
I haven't seen it around much, even at my butcher's. I forgot about it.

BillBoard
27th December 2010, 05:01 PM
Yes, it is very good. I made it a point that my boys know how to cook it and get it out of the bones.

ShortJohnSilver
27th December 2010, 05:05 PM
My wife tells me it is impolite, when eating fried chicken, to crack the bones and nibble away at the marrow; expecially when eating wings, where you bite off both ends and then "toke" the marrow. So I don't do it when there is company around :-)

General of Darkness
27th December 2010, 05:52 PM
Thanksgiving at Billboards house. ;D

http://surendils.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/zombies-eating.jpg

RJB
27th December 2010, 06:03 PM
My wife tells me it is impolite, when eating fried chicken, to crack the bones and nibble away at the marrow; expecially when eating wings, where you bite off both ends and then "toke" the marrow. So I don't do it when there is company around :-)
Oh heck, make a scene. And then stare right back with a, "what are you looking at?" expression ;D

zap
27th December 2010, 06:13 PM
I was never forced to eat icky stuff except liver, I don't mind it now.... I just enjoyed sweetbreads for the first time back in October, I think they are some kind of cow gland they were BBQ'ed and crunchy so they were good not slimy. :D

General of Darkness
27th December 2010, 06:15 PM
I got you all beat.

When I was a kid & growing up on a farm my dad used to make us eat blood pudding from the steers he butchered.
Then he would cook cow tongue, cow brain and whatever else he could cook from the slaughter house.

Then there's pigs feet. pig tongue, brain and all that pig stuff.
(nowadays you can buy it at the deli & it's called souse)

*SHIVER ALL OVER* So bone marrow sounds kinda mild to me.

And I NEVER EVER touched that kinda food again. :P

Fresh blood sausage is amazing. LOVE IT.

RJB
27th December 2010, 06:17 PM
I ran a trapline. My daughters got to eat beaver, muskrat (my favorite wild game BTW), raccoon (yuck), and of course the regular hunted animals. When a deer is killed the first thing we do (old family tradition) is fry up the heart and the liver while still warm with butter and onions. Fresh non-GMO fed heart and liver is quite a delicacy. Both have a sweet taste when still fresh.

I got you all beat.

When I was a kid & growing up on a farm my dad used to make us eat blood pudding from the steers he butchered.
Then he would cook cow tongue, cow brain and whatever else he could cook from the slaughter house.

Then there's pigs feet. pig tongue, brain and all that pig stuff.
(nowadays you can buy it at the deli & it's called souse)

*SHIVER ALL OVER* So bone marrow sounds kinda mild to me.

And I NEVER EVER touched that kinda food again. :P

Horn
27th December 2010, 06:20 PM
There's nothing worse than the common hot dog.

BillBoard
27th December 2010, 06:32 PM
Nothing like Zombie Gumbo for sure! yum! yum!

bellevuebully
27th December 2010, 08:43 PM
Getting hungry.

Andy9999
27th December 2010, 10:22 PM
bones for soup--long cooking ,and we have very mineral reach stock,
simply you need some minerals,my father did the same

gunDriller
30th December 2010, 05:01 AM
i prefer to eat my bone marrow in the form of one of those hot dogs that Costco sells.

chud
30th December 2010, 07:15 AM
When a deer is killed the first thing we do (old family tradition) is fry up the heart and the liver while still warm with butter and onions. Fresh non-GMO fed heart and liver is quite a delicacy. Both have a sweet taste when still fresh.

Hmmm, I'll have to try that. Usually I just field dress the deer and leave all the innards for the raccoons to eat later that night.

I do love liver and onions, though. I'll have to try deer liver some time.

hoarder
30th December 2010, 07:45 AM
i prefer to eat my bone marrow in the form of one of those hot dogs that Costco sells.
I hope I detect sarcasm there.