PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg jumps the shark with their "Chainsaw" pump shotgun

midnight rambler
31st December 2010, 09:45 AM
Apparently their Rolling Thunder and Road Blocker models weren't goofy enough.

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k533/Tacticalaj/1293583847.jpg

Olmstein
3rd January 2011, 07:13 AM
Might come in handy in crowd control situations.

saint
3rd January 2011, 07:17 AM
When it comes to crowd control nothing beats a claymore.

Tronn
3rd January 2011, 07:20 AM
i think the chainsaw handle would be better on an auto not a pump

Heimdhal
3rd January 2011, 09:04 AM
Its a silly and useless concept with no practical real world applications (using the big handle anyways).

It comes with a breaching barrel, which most people have no use for and which the chainsaw handle wont help with because you wouldnt be able to hold it ath the proper angle for blowing off locks and hinges if you were to breach.

That all aside, it is clearly marketed to the younger crowd that are into the Call of Doody BS and just want something that looks "mean" more than practicle.

If they want to buy it, let em. ;)

freespirit
3rd January 2011, 09:59 AM
the more bells and whistles you have on something, the greater the chances of something screwing up. the chainsaw handle looks cheap and plastic-y...

through repeated use, can the handle loosen up? and if so, can you remove it? what if this happens during a live fire scenario...if the handle gets loose, you may have trouble chambering rounds, which is bad news in a gunfight.

mightymanx
3rd January 2011, 02:40 PM
Yet another gizmo to try and prove that pistol grip shotguns don't suck and are dang near completly worthless.

Heimdhal
3rd January 2011, 04:39 PM
the more bells and whistles you have on something, the greater the chances of something screwing up. the chainsaw handle looks cheap and plastic-y...

through repeated use, can the handle loosen up? and if so, can you remove it? what if this happens during a live fire scenario...if the handle gets loose, you may have trouble chambering rounds, which is bad news in a gunfight.

End of the day its still a Mossberg 500, so Im sure anything designed or a mossberg 500 will work with this (i.e. parts, accessories, etc).

Still, not even remotley worth the investment. I'd rather just have a full stocked mossberg 500, and I do, so Im happy! ;D

hoarder
3rd January 2011, 04:58 PM
I couldn't read the print in the pic, but I'm sure it says "tactical" there somewhere. That single word has sold millions of firearms and accessories to B.E.M.'s (booger-eating morons).

I avoid buying anything that uses "tactical" as a marketing word.

freespirit
3rd January 2011, 06:04 PM
what about the remington 870? alot of people say 6 of 1, half dozen of the other...but the rem has a steel receiver as opposed to the aluminum one the mossberg has, which would be more durable...some people like the remington's safety position over the mossberg as well...
but the mossberg has two extractors, the remington one...

know what i mean?

i know there's a price difference to consider, but other than a few minute details, would these two guns be too similar to really compare? it seems there's no shortage of 500 fans, but a lot of them would still take a remington 870 instead.

i still think the chainsaw handle looks cheap...

Book
3rd January 2011, 06:15 PM
SLEEPY LOGGER BLOWS FOOT OFF WITH SHOTGUN THINKING HE WAS HOLDING HIS CHAINSAW.

Details on the Ten O'Clock News...

:D

Heimdhal
3rd January 2011, 06:28 PM
what about the remington 870? alot of people say 6 of 1, half dozen of the other...but the rem has a steel receiver as opposed to the aluminum one the mossberg has, which would be more durable...some people like the remington's safety position over the mossberg as well...
but the mossberg has two extractors, the remington one...

know what i mean?

i know there's a price difference to consider, but other than a few minute details, would these two guns be too similar to really compare? it seems there's no shortage of 500 fans, but a lot of them would still take a remington 870 instead.

i still think the chainsaw handle looks cheap...

Ive got nothing against either. Both are good proven models. I wouldnt say because the reciever on the mossy is aluminum that the steel of the 870 is more reliable. Aluminum means it can also double for limited marine use (or full blown marine use if you get the 590 Mariner), it means its lighter as well.

I use a mossberg maverick 88 which is an even cheaper version of the 500 to shoot skeet and trap and its never let me down yet.

I wouldnt turn down a free 870 either. Get what you can afford and get VERY proficient in it, and THAT is the best weapon you can have.

osoab
3rd January 2011, 06:44 PM
That is one ugly shotgun.

Here a few more Mossberg creations I found. I had never heard of these before.

Rolling Thunder
http://www.webarms.com/gun%20suppliers/Mossberg%20Shotguns/55605.gif

Road Blocker
http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/images-products-2061132-tm.jpg

freespirit
3rd January 2011, 07:05 PM
i like these customized 870's...

osoab
5th January 2011, 02:20 PM
I wonder if it sounds like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7-Q-PkeO94&feature=related

big country
5th January 2011, 06:06 PM
I own an 870 express, I would pick it over the 500. I like where the safety is better. Other than that, I've shot both and prefer the 870. Both are fine shotguns. If I was buying something myself I would pony up the little extra and get an 870 wingmaster instead of the express. Basically the same expect the wingmaster is made with tighter tolerances, and has a silky smooth action.

And that handle "chainsaw" looks retarded. I don't even know how you would have the correct leverage to rack the slide...

Government Chee-tos
6th January 2011, 12:10 AM
If you shop around you can find low priced 870's or 500's used. I know I could probably have 2 or 3 for the price of that stupid looking gun.

On another note you have to wonder about a company that manufactures crap like that. I'd be pissed if I owned a regular Mossberg.