PDA

View Full Version : 100 Oz Silver Bars???

MetalsMan
4th January 2011, 07:51 PM
The 100oz Silver bars are beautiful and their price is
only about 80cents over spot so more bang for your buck.

What do you all think of the 100 oz Silver bars today and in the future
if during hyperinflation when silver goes about $100-200/oz and beyond?.

Pros? Cons? Smart investment if you already have a lot of 1 oz coins? Easy to Liquidate?

http://www.apmex.com/Resources/Catalog%20Images/Products/20_slab.jpg

Ponce
4th January 2011, 08:00 PM
It would depend if you are buying them as an investor or as a survivalis.......as a survivalist you need 10 oz bars and lower because once TSHTF and you buy a couple of chickens I don't think that the farmer will have change for a 100 oz bar..................and also, you don't want to show to much.....like the good looking girl with big boobs and a low cut dress that gets raped?, and she asked herself "Why me?"

MetalsMan
4th January 2011, 08:06 PM
It would depend if you are buying them as an investor or as a survivalis.......as a survivalist you need 10 oz bars and lower because once TSHTF and you buy a couple of chickens I don't think that the farmer will have change for a 100 oz bar..................and also, you don't want to show to much.....like the good looking girl with big boobs and a low cut dress that gets raped?, and she asked herself "Why me?"

Like this?

http://www.tkshare.com/Image/20081013652414477801.jpg

But seriously. Do these have any place in the average
Joe Six Pack's "portfolio" of Ag investments?

Ponce
4th January 2011, 08:08 PM
In my book she would be out of the game........ I have "class" hahahahahahah.......but if her mind is as big as her boobs then that would be something else.

solid
4th January 2011, 08:10 PM
Like this?

http://www.tkshare.com/Image/20081013652414477801.jpg

But seriously. Do these have any place in the average
Joe Six Pack's "portfolio" of Ag investments?

That photo belongs in the 'looking at breasts is healthy' thread.

For your average person, I'd stay away from 100 ounce bars. I'm an average guy, would never buy one...but I would buy one ounce rounds/coins. Think about who would be buying it in the future, to make your decision.

Libertytree
4th January 2011, 08:27 PM
The only upside I can think of is if you were buying it as an industrial (shortage) investment or for a very large purchase, at which time will there be a problem establishing its authenticity?

Book
4th January 2011, 08:34 PM
Easy to Liquidate?

Nope. I remember G-Khan at GIM1 trying to sell his after discovering his immediate need for expensive medical care. He was posting it FOR SALE on GIM1.

:)

MetalsMan
4th January 2011, 08:40 PM
The big online dealers buy 'em. (Apmex, etc.)

zap
4th January 2011, 08:45 PM
If you already have lots of 1 oz, I wouldn't be worried about buying a few 100 oz bars, you should establish a good relationship with a local dealer though, you'll have no problem selling back to him.

BarneyFag
4th January 2011, 09:34 PM
I have a 100, it's like part of the family.

keehah
4th January 2011, 09:52 PM
When silver was $7 an ounce, paying an 80 cent premium for the 100 oz bar vs $2.50 or more for a Maple Leaf was a big deal. With silver at $30 its not such a big deal anymore.

mick silver
4th January 2011, 09:57 PM
i have a few . but i have alot of ozer . i like the feel of the big bars . and they really look great . i have never had trouble selling the big bars .

Serpo
5th January 2011, 02:10 AM
I think they are hard to beat..........

Silver Shield
5th January 2011, 04:07 AM
100oz are for bulk buying and I would only recommend them if you are buying more than $50,000 to $100,000 in silver.

They are not sexy but they serve their purpose.

Start with junk, get eagles, 10oz, and then 100oz.

chad
5th January 2011, 04:20 AM
i've owned lots of them. the market to sell them is pretty much a dealer.

Twisted Titan
5th January 2011, 06:05 AM
I agree that if you deal in 100'z and up the relationship you hav e with the dealer will be PARAMOUNT

Anybody who thinks they will just be able to come off the street and sell beliveing they will get top dollar is going to be in for a rude azz awakening .

Think of cash for gold kisoks at the industrial level.

Cause that is exactly what is coming just you wait.

If I had it I would create a cash consortium just to buy from the sheep at steep discounts but better than what the other ghouls are paying.

I would make money hand over fist night and day.

T

chad
5th January 2011, 06:12 AM
the dealers know it too.

i've sold probably 13 or so of them in the last 15 years in iowa, wisconsin, south dakota, texas, and oklahoma. i've never been offered anywhere close to spot on them, from any dealer, ever. closest i ever came was 10 cents below spot. most of the time they offer you fifty cents to a dollar under because they know THEY are the market and you're going to have to dive 100 miles to get another offer.

they are for people who don't need to worry about a dollar or two an ounce here or there. they're for people parking $50,000, etc.

Ash_Williams
5th January 2011, 07:24 AM
I sold mine off before $30. The reason is that $30 x 100 = $3000 which is the amount that transactions start to get questioned and paper trails begin to form. If you are not aiming to attract attention, then you don't want 100oz bars. I have a good relationship with my dealer and names won't be recorded but I understand it will also be hard on him if in the future silver was $120 and I walked in there wanting to walk out with 12 grand cash.

If you don't have a good relationship with your dealer, then you are walking out with a check and will have to go next to a bank. You may also be walking out with nothing except your silver especially if stories of fake 100oz bars start floating around at the time. If some guy on the street you had never seen before and may never see again offered to sell you a 100oz bar would you go for it?

The premium is higher on smaller amounts, but I think it is worth it. I will hold nothing over 10oz.

Twisted Titan
5th January 2011, 07:39 AM
The premium is higher on smaller amounts, but I think it is worth it.

Hence the reason the Mercury Dime will command the highest Premium in the near future.

T

bellevuebully
5th January 2011, 07:58 AM
I guess I am fortunate to be living in relatively close proximaty to Kitco in Montreal. Make a call, settle price, deliver goods within 10 days....no problemo with any recognized product from 1 to 1000 oz's. I have sold several 1000 oz's in the last couple of years....no problem.

Half Sense
5th January 2011, 08:22 AM
I have had a few over the years. I paid a tiny premium when I bought, and always got spot when I sold. Coin shows are good venues to sell as you have 10 or 20 buyers in the same room. If I was in a hurry, I'd take spot -$1 from a local dealer.

MetalsMan
5th January 2011, 09:33 AM
Sounds like ol' Joe 6-Pack would be better off going
ALL IN on "Junk Silver" mercury dimes, quarters, etc.

And some 1oz Bullion and Silver American Eagles...

http://www.apmex.com/Resources/Catalog%20Images/Products/48687_Obv.jpg http://www.apmex.com/Resources/Catalog%20Images/Products/48687_Rev.jpg

StreetsOfGold
5th January 2011, 09:40 AM
I don't know how you could not love a 100 oz bar. :conf: They are awesome to hold with a fondle factor of 10+, that in itself is the best reason to have one. As already explained, there are more reasons to buy smaller sizes.

I would say, IF you can afford a few to have - Go for it.

Ponce
5th January 2011, 09:48 AM
Chad?..........in 1972 I bought my silver (the first time) for $2.45 + .50 cents per oz, in 1980 I sold it for $43.65 when silver was at about $45.80.........so who cares about a couple of bucks?

The biggest bars that I have now are 10 oz's......

SilverMagnet
5th January 2011, 11:23 AM
I will be sticking with the 10oz bars since they are usually more attractive and the divisibility/portability factor is more important to me since I don't plan on having a Silver Ft. Knox.

gunDriller
5th January 2011, 11:50 AM
I don't know how you could not love a 100 oz bar. :conf: They are awesome to hold with a fondle factor of 10+, that in itself is the best reason to have one. As already explained, there are more reasons to buy smaller sizes.

I would say, IF you can afford a few to have - Go for it.

yeah. though they do sink faster during a boating accident. the 100 ounce bars just make a B-line for the bottom, while the silver rounds sort of drift back and forth like a leaf falling.

some dealers have a show-boat (un-tarnished) 100 ounce bar in their display cabinet. it's worth asking if you can hold it - 7 pounds of silver in one chunk.

i would think some high end gym would come out with a weight set made out of silver. for example, a 25 pound weight - that would be about 350 ounces of silver - $10,500 for one weight.

SLV^GLD
5th January 2011, 12:04 PM
I like the weight set idea. Gym equipment that appreciates with age!

A 100oz bar is cool and a 1,000oz bar is even neater to hold in your hand but nothing quite impressed me as did holding a 10ozt Au bar. It is mind boggling how dense it is (roughly twice that of Ag).

As to the OP, I won't buy or hold anything over 10ozs regardless of form factor. I MIGHT be convinced to get a Kilo Lunar round but it is not likely.

Gaillo
5th January 2011, 12:22 PM
I'd go the other direction...

Mercury Dimes ALL THE WAY, baby! ;D

gunDriller
5th January 2011, 01:37 PM
I'd go the other direction...

Mercury Dimes ALL THE WAY, baby! ;D

nothing wrong with 100 pounds of Mercury Dimes !

http://valueincoins.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/mercury-dime.jpg